Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 02/17/2011

"Charge! (it)"

By Tom Toles

c_02172011.gif

***

Da Doo Ron Ron

Okay, I'm calling it. On the same authority that the Wizard of Oz cited, the Universitatus Committeeatum e pluribus unum, I'm officially declaring the Reagan Era at a close. I think we can all agree on the name. Republicans never tire of naming any stationary object after Mr. Morning, and the rest of us can acknowledge that his shadow fell across the period that began with empty smiles and ended in genuine tears. The 60's were the 60's, and the 70's were the 70's. Decades with a clear character or lack of one. The 80's were decidedly the 80's. But the 90's were really just more 80's, and the 00's were still more 80's.

The proximate marker that caused me to bracket this period and make this declaration was this graph that appeared in The Post showing Americans' savings rates. It shows a pretty straight-line decline from the early Reagan years until the Great W Recession. Yes, I'm naming that, too. The savings rate has now started going back up. It's just one indicator, but representative enough to seal the deal.

What was the defining characteristic of the Reagan Era? MAKE BELIEVE. Deficits described as Discipline. Recklessness dressed up as Rectitude. Ideology substituting for Information. Optimism as a cover for Opportunism. It seemed too good to be true, and it was. What comes next? Don't ask me just now. I've done enough here for one day. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_02172011.gif

By Tom Toles  | February 17, 2011; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Congress, Economy and jobs, GOP
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blind Spot
Next: Hard choices

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Oh, and Republicans in Indiana have proposed this simply marvelous idea for reducing the amount of money dedicated to paying teachers' salaries: For two years, in some schools, eliminate the requirement for licensing of up to 50% of the teachers.

Good luck with that!

Posted by: jonroesler | February 20, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

That's funny... Wisconsin. Where the new Tea-Party governor gives $137 million in tax breaks to the wealthy; declares an "emergency" shortfall of $140 million; and decides to cover it by gutting the public sector unions.

Kinda like tax breaks vs. the budget in Washington, and the collective "we" continue to fall for this stuff.

Budget crises caused by tax breaks are nothing new.

Posted by: jonroesler | February 20, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Bertzel

Just so we are clear, I was just cracking wise on Meyerson's crazy path from Egypt to Poland to Wisconsin in his lying piece about your Gov.

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to say one thing concerning the 'state of Wisconsin'...ok, maybe two.
#1. I find it rather ironic that your 'title for today's political cartoon is actually, 'GOP Cowardice'. Ironic, because the democrats in Wisconsin are MIA right now...hiding if you will because they are to scared to face reality.

#2. I am a Wisconsinite. Polish? No. Tho that does not matter does it dailyplanet...
Point is, I didn't vote for Walker. Don't much care for him. I do however, understand where it is he is comming from concerning his latest bill. I am also a former AFL-CIO member. This 'bill' will have an effect on some of my friends and also family. That all being said.

I agree with Walker. Cuts have to be made. It is the teachers who are 'up in arms' about this. It is also because of our education system shortfall that this is taking place. Our education system is falling by the wayside, Big Time here. A lot of other union members have taken big cuts concerning benefits. Teachers need to accept that times are tough too. If they want overtime pay...they would still have the right to negotiate for that. The press and unions have made it out to be Walker against the common folks of Wisconsin....Same 'commercial' plays over and over again.
So either these teachers accept reality or many other state 'people' will lose their jobs and many state jobs will no longer exist. I also find it quite obvious where their values "lie" when they call in sick to protest and "insodoing" end up closing some schools...Yep.. kids first. That's their motto!
One more note and of course this is only my opinion, tho several other union members I have talked to agree---the labor unions are no longer what they used to be...they lost striking power.. once that was gone, well, not much use anymore. And let's not forget those monthly dues there either. That adds up to well over a grand per year.
Again...just my unbiased opinion. Yet livin' the life : )

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@pararanger

To clarify, I did not say that I protested the Vietnam war. I actually served in the U.S. Army for two years, late 1969 to late 1971. My duty station was in Germany. If you read my post, you'll have some idea of how isolated my existence was in the 1960s. I actually bought some of the nonsense used to justify the Vietnam war, even though those rationales were just as dishonest as those used to justify the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. . In the end, the U.S. lost that war, in spite of not-so-noble America actions such as My Lai--virtually every major unit had its own My Lai. You weren't even around at that time--you don't know and your father would never tell you the truth. I wish I had the knowledge and the courage to vigorously protest the war. That came a bit later in my life--I don't know what you do, but I change my mind when I get new and different information.

As for Reagan, I lived through his presidency and things were not so hot. Deregulated S&Ls gave us the S&L crisis that tax payers had to foot the bill for. Unemployment higher than now. An accumulation of national debt unmatched by any previous post-WWII president, even though Congress passed budgets that had LESS spending than Reagan requested in HIS budgets. Reagan and Bush 2 are why we cannot deal with the country's fundamental problems now--we're too far in debt and the Republicans use the debt that they accumulated as a political weapon to obstruct government . Republicans now promise us more of the same debt and poor government services that Reagan and Bush gave us. If you remember the Reagan era as "good times for all", you remember incorrectly. What little social justice we've seen and and little progress we've made since 1980, has been under Clinton and Obama.

Last, my father did his duty in WWII--one of the first over to the South Pacific and one of last home. He came home pretty wrecked, but he had a good take on war. He thought it may sometimes be necessary. But he also thought that there was nothing noble about it--it was dirty, ugly, cruel, disgusting business. It takes a pretty sick person to see nothing but nobility and glory in war. It takes a pretty sick person to be a Tea Partyer.

Posted by: ptgrunner | February 17, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Exactly! -as Leno would say.

Whenever you decide to run for public office, you certainly have my vote!

Posted by: lufrank1 | February 17, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I had always thought that a trip to Wisconsin was like a journey to Poland and Meyerson now confirms it. I hear there is already protests in Madison.

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Your not helping me remain optimistic regarding Egypt democracy and other mid east events.

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

~~~I am trying to keep an open mind here and remain optimistic. You are not helping bertzel
Posted by: dalyplanet~~

You and yours play both sides of the fence.

I am not here to 'help' you.
I am just voicing my opinion. That is all.
You don't like my opinion, too bad.

I have stated today that pdogs post of yesterday was not the best in regards to fact.
I've stated my concern over the middle east. What does that have to do with 'helping'. Helping WHAT??? Should I be rude and start 'fluffing my feathers' and call names? Would that 'help"
By the way now that I think of it...that idiot who wrote that editorial,for the WaPo, about Wisconsin....is also a fact twisting idiot...just sayin'....

There does that HELP??

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

If the right wing brain trust would just read "What went wrong in America" by Mcneil, Lehrer, they would understand why we're in this hand basket now.

Reagan's big tax break bill included incentives for companies to move their operations overseas. As companies moved, factories in the U.S. started closing, and moved their jobs overseas as well. The host countries then took the new revenue they received and invested right here in the good old USA. The exodus of companies has gotten worse and worse over the years, until now you have American companies and their subsidiaries headquartered in the Bahamas, and other tax havens, even as their CEO's and other majority shareholders reside in the U.S. Companies like Halliburton, which has 143 subsidiries, 36 of which are incorporated in the U.S. Think KBR, for which we had dozens of soldiers die from electrocutions in the showers they installed in Iraq, among other atrocities they oversaw.

Now I'm not saying this was all Reagan's fault, as Congress went along with that idea. But the consequences took 20 years to become evident. And now we have to buy our TV's from other countries, when at one time we made all of them in world.

By the way, if you collect social security and it is taxed because you also work and make too much, thank that very same tax bill. It was quite a package.

And Tom, keep up the good work. Your toons and views are always good for a laugh. And a thought.

Posted by: COLEBRACKETT | February 17, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

and what is up with this site today...I post and get disconnected. Get back on no post...repost again and then both posts show up...geeze!

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

~~~Bert You don't seem to be 100% on board with this new Dictators to Democracies program.
I am thinking of summering in Israel this year. The climate should be good there.
Posted by: dalyplanet~~~

Actually it is your train of thought I am not on board with. I am now expected to send along a lol at this time but will refrain. I am not amused.

Dave care to share some of those little pills you are on??

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalyplanet |~~~

Actually, just not on board with your train of thought...I believe I am expected to send along a lol at this point but will refrain. Not amused.

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalyplanet

My shudder in pain #$&*%
You must be kidding Daly!
Thanks to 911; fear has allowed the Republicants to run rough shod over our nation to the benefit of the rich and powerful.
The needs and desires of the people and the nation are ignored while the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
The president promises a "Chicken in every pot" with no intent of any help for the needy. It always turns out that what is done is to the advantage of those who pay for the elections.
Half of the population do not even "get it" that they are the chickens in the pot.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | February 17, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Love the RayGun rant!! Nancy taught us all to "just say no"

Posted by: vacarollm | February 17, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Pararanger, you have NO credibility.

First you claim to live in England.

Then you claimed that the military allowed you to leave your post so you could move your family.

Then you claimed to live in teh DC area.

You are full of it.

Posted by: taroya

----------------------

You don't have much life experience past 7th grade, do you?

I own a home in Virginia (I own the mortgage too, unfortunately).

I rent a flat in Bath, UK. This is where I live/work.

Back in the day, the military allowed me to return to Virginia to move my family from an apartment to another place after multiple gang issues in Sterling.

Your baseless outrage reminds me of a good ole John Wayne quote (or allegedly attributed to him):

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

Watch 'The Searchers' - you might learn a thing or two about mental toughness and persistence.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 17, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Pararanger, you have NO credibility.

First you claim to live in England.

Then you claimed to live in teh DC area.

You are full of it.

Posted by: taroya | February 17, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

~~~Thats a positive MEDIA spin there bert
Posted by: dalyplanet~~

right...........

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Good point ranger. I should have referenced my facts. Here they are.

Iran/Contra convictions and pardons:

Reagan's approval ratings lower than Obama's two years in:

Working class income decreased from 1980-1990 while top 1% increased:

Reagan raised taxes 11 times after his first initial tax cut package:

Have a nice day. And thanks again for the personal attacks; "echo between your ears", etc. It validates your arguments even more.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | February 17, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Thats a positive MEDIA spin there bert

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Thats a positive MEDIA spin there bert

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

pararanger22 still sucking reagans c_ck after all these years.
what a tool and fool

Posted by: strictly_liberal | February 17, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

PrairieDog60,

Let’s get a few things straight. I’ll type very, very slowly so your feeble brain-housing-group can keep up with me, okay?

1 – First of all, you ignore my posts and just write whatever you want without any regard to my position. Yesterday you attacked me for invoking Reagan as a ‘saviour’ when clearly, I did no such thing. Nonetheless, I responded to your joust. The point is that you don’t admit when you’re wrong, thus, it is mostly pointless to debate with you on a professional level. Ptgrunner chickens out too. Last month, I scorched him with his own logic after the monthly jobs report came out. Do you think he manned-up and admitted he was a fool? Nope. Just attacked me some more. You two just don’t have any guts.
2 – You throw out a lot of so-called facts about Reagan. Not only are your so-called facts questionable, but they also aren’t presented in an appropriate context. In a perfect world where I would have unlimited time to invalidate each and every one of your presentations and cite sources to underpin my arguments, after a few hours work, I could render your feckless blog posts in detail. Well, because I don't have infinite time to myself, I counterattack a few of your endless fabrications and focus on my personal knowledge and the context of the times. For instance, Liberals love to bash Reagan for increased military spending. Aha! See! Reagan ran up the deficits! Again, no context is applied. The military was BROKEN when Reagan came to office. Old equipment, no parts, long-haircuts, drugs, low-morale, and no draft. We were recruiting high school drop-outs like they were superstars. My Dad was an infantry battalion commander in 1979 – we experienced these issues first-hand.
3 – You were supposed to laugh at the Conservative versus Liberal women joke!
4 – Research isn’t knowledge. Information isn’t knowledge. Understanding what happened within the full-context of the times brings greater knowledge. You do not provide any valid context to your fabrications about Reagan.
5 – “In general, we haven't had many presidents working for ordinary folks...not for a long time. Most of them can't relate to ordinary folks.” This quote is just such bull. Presidents, even Obama, make a difference every day in the lives of ordinary people. Only small-minded folks can’t figure that out for themselves . Imagine how stoked our POTUS must be when he routinely has to suck-up to the Saudis and the Chinese. Now, why do you think he has to do that? If the KSA stops delivering oil or reduces oil production, world oil prices will go up. Oil goes up, gas for automobiles for ordinary people goes up in price. If the Chinese stop buying our debt, our Nation will not be able to function. We might have to slash social security payments or school lunches or a host of other services that matter to ordinary Americans. Do Presidents brag about that? Nope – but they do their part.

That echo between your ears will improve if you listen to me.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 17, 2011 11:39 AM | Report abuse

FINALLY...someone who writes my truth about Reagan...
TOM - you are a joy to read! thanks

Posted by: jrsh | February 17, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

~~~I don't like to engage in back-and-forth in here, as it's usually pointless. So I try not to respond to specific posts. But I have to address the irony of ranger's comments. pdog~~~

Funny dog...I'd say you posted quite the comment concerning the current happenings in Wisconsin.... you should think twice before sounding off as well.

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Whooa, Nellie! If the Reagan Era was defined by high deficits, as Mr. Toles argues, then the Obama presidency must be its apex, since he has accumulated more of those in two years than any of his predecessors, by far, and proposes to add even more next fiscal year with a budget that would borrow almost half of what it spends. The basic fact that Democrats like Mr. Toles seek to obscure is that deficits, whether accumulated during Republican or Democrat administrations are the result of ever growing entitlement programs proposed and enacted by Democrats. Medicaid, Food Stamps, the Earned Income Credit, SSI, to name a few, create federal liabilities that must be met without regard for government tax revenues; and as the country's living standards have risen over the years, these liabilities have grown, rather than decreased. It all goes back to one simple fact: governments cannot legislate prosperity.

Posted by: rightspokeBlas | February 17, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

~~~That top has a 'positive' spin now bert
Posted by: dalyplanet~~~

Positive? Guess it all depends on who ACTUALLY benefits when it stops spinning.

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Remember Reagan was reelected in 1984 when

"WAR IS PEACE,
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, and
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

We have been living in a mythical world of the Hobbits for the last thirty years on the addictive drug "Morning in America" and "Happy Days are here again". We live in a world that believes that teaching "abstinence only" works (in TX where the teen pregnancy is the country's second highest); that we can achieve national security by starting fights all over the world; that lowering taxes increases revenues and that "government is the problem" while the Wall Street Mafia robs the country blind.

We lived on the credit card for the last 10 years; now it's time to start paying down the debt (most especially by those who benefited the most.)

Posted by: stanassc | February 17, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

If only the Reagan loving deficits hawks could have Clinton's numbers to back them up.

In his last four years in office REAGAN ran 738 billion in DEFICITS while CLINTON'S last four years produced 408 billion in SURPLUSES. (inflation adjusted)

Of course at the time of Clinton's surpluses the Right was much more concerned with lying about extramarital oral sex - a much more serious national problem than budget deficits, they all agreed.

When all facts fail the Reagan lovers will probably play the Alzheimer card - "He had the courage, and the American exceptionalist values to come to work each day even though he didn't know where he worked."

Posted by: sherm1 | February 17, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

FergusonFoont,

I sense you've been taking the red ones AND the green ones today. In and out of the fantasy matrix all at the same time, aren't we FF?

1 - Congress held majorities in Congress during Nixon's first term and I believe (though abbreviated) his 2d term too. Congress holds the Nations purse-strings so your missive that 'Nixon' was at fault for the end of the socialist 'good times' is patently untrue.

2 - The 'secret plan' in Vietnam was two separate operations: Linebacker I and Linebacker II. Basically bomb the NV into the stone age. Those operations worked well enough to sufficiently humble the NV to be serious about peace talks.

3 - So...the GOP contrived the oil crises and the Iranian hostage crisis 'thwarting' poor President Carter. Right. Time for you to take the red pill again.

4 - OPEC, tax cuts, the 'brilliant' President Carter, and reduced job security. Do you actually read the bull you throw together on this blog?

5 - Bush II was a great leader. Looks like you'll be eating humble pie about him as his approval ratings continue to rise. I'm sure you started the 'W directed 9/11' rumor. Good luck with that theory.

6 - Not sure why you bounce Clinton and Obama off the 'Liberal Gold-Star List'. Both have a solid list of Liberal accomplishments. No wonder Liberals are on their way to being extinct - you're never happy until we're all wearing hammer and sickle icon caps.

Your last paragraph must have been written after a real bender.

Well...cuddle up to a lava lamp dude and pretend to write something that matters in the future. It will be okay; Toles understands.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 17, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday I posted some facts about Reagan's presidency, basically lifting the veil a bit on what Republicans consider their savior. These facts were all true. Average income under Reagan going down for working class folks, Iran/Contra, Reagan's approval ratings, Reagan raising taxes, etc. I also mentioned that I really have very little love for most of the presidents in my lifetime. Most of them failed to truly work to improve the lives of ordinary folks. Most of them worked mostly to increase profits for large corporations, in hopes that this would somehow help us out. It hasn't. Oh they may have thought they were doing good, but they have all contributed to that moment under BushCo where the bottom dropped out.

Anyway, ranger responded predictibly, by attacking me, calling liberals names, etc. (REALLY loved the comment about liberal woman being less attractive than Republican woman...still laughing over the silliness of that one.) However, he proved my point in spades. He simply said my facts were wrong. He presented no evidence for this. I simply didn't choose to remember Reagan the way he wanted me to, so therefore, I was "wrong".

There's volumes of research out there about trying to argue with people using facts, and how it often times just entrenches their beliefs even deeper. It's the simple human trait of not wanting to allow doubt into our own ideology that we've built up over our lifetime. To allow one crack in our worldview is to threaten our entire reality.

In general, we haven't had many presidents working for ordinary folks...not for a long time. Most of them can't relate to ordinary folks. Obama has a bit more of that quality than others...having come from a single parent family, having to take out student loans to go to college, having first-hand experience with racism, etc. This is what gave many of us hope. Unfortunately, he seems to be becoming another center-right president ala Clinton, protecting corporate welfare, continuing the ridiculous "patriot act" and foreign policies of BushCo, and now giving in to the lunacy of cutting programs left and right while the country is hurting at its worst. This will send us into a double dip recession, as hundreds of thousands of federal, state, and local government employees join the ranks of the unemployed.

Folks, please try to look at facts. Simply saying something enough times does not make it true. It may soothe our egos to do this, but it is detrimental to our ability to embrace reality, and therefore our ability to affect real change for the better.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | February 17, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

That top has a 'positive' spin now bert

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Toles, how long do suppose that 'top' will spin before it topples over and 'all hell breaks loose'?

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

~~~While Presidents can shape policy or cheerlead it is the American people that control the success or failure of our country.
Posted by: dalyplanet~~~

If you are referring to the RICH, when you say American people, I agree. Otherwise it is you who is the 'cheerleader'.

Posted by: bertzel | February 17, 2011 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

FergusonFoont

Are you related to the brothers Grimm

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 17, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Tommy, for much of my life, at least since the 1960s, every change with only few exceptions has been for the worse. The "failed liberal policies of the '60s" didn't actually fail -- they were working fantastically well and much more quickly to eliminate poverty and educate all of America's children than anticipated, and this progress continued until these programs were dismantled by the changes represented by the onslaught of the Nixon administration, sold through a "Secret Plan" to end the Vietnam War (the "Secret Plan" having been basically to bomb them into the stone age as a temper tantrum before surrendering).

Carter came in with great hope and great plans, but because those plans were thwarted by knee-jerk Republican and oil industry opposition not wholly dissimilar to what Obama faces today, his goals were not able to achieved until they used a contrived oil crisis and a highly suspicious hostage crisis to drive him from office.

Reagan was decidedly worse, but because Carter had succeeded in breaking up OPEC (what a BRILLIANT stroke!), we returned to prosperity, a prosperity that was misattributed to tax cuts as damaging as Bush's have been. Reagan ended the security provided to our middle class by the concept of the "career." Now we only have "jobs" sometimes, always insecure, often without benefits or retirement. This was the biggest change Reagan made to our country.

Clinton was a little better but not much, falling for the deregulation heresy that has caused our governments at all levels to abrogate their chief governing purpose and advancing free trade beyond any level that might reasonably be regarded as beneficial to the majority of American workers.

Then came Bush II, our worst president in history, and his tax cuts that have broken our Treasury, our currency, and our prosperity, along with his wars and his civil oppression. I could go on and on here (his abandonment of diplomacy, his politicization of the civil service, his reversals to civil rights, his attacks on education and the environment, etc., etc., etc.).

Obama came in with hope, but our hopes were almost immediately dashed when he took on the role of "The Great Capitulator," ready to meet Republicans more than halfway before any negotiations even began, on issue after issue after issue. This cost him the enthusiasm of his backers and dissipated the political support of his base, and the result was defeat in 2010.

But if we are now transitioning away from Reagan's "Era of Make Believe," we must ask ourselves what will be the era that follows it. I fear that it may be an era of a little bit too much reality, where America's stature declines rapidly and our society becomes increasingly dystopian and authoritarian as a result. Our willingness, now regrettably on the part of BOTH of our political parties, to ignore or attack our social responsibilities toward justice and knowledge cannot take us in any direction that a reasonable person could regard as good.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | February 17, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Tom, you must have really wanted to stir up the Tea Bag/Right Winger comments today. Kind of like taking a bat to hornet's nest. Don't you know you're not to ever, ever say anything bad about St Ronnie. Even though if Ronnie was around today he would stuningly fail the GOP litmus test and probably couldn't even win a GOP primary against some fire-breathing Tea Bagger.

Of course I can understand your frustration. I'm getting very tired of the hagiography of Reagan everytime you turn on the TV of late. How many TV specials do we really need telling us how great St Ronnie and Ste Nancy were/are? And thanks to Ex-Congressman Bob Barr you can't go 10 miles in our country without running into something named out of the Saint of Borax and Bonzos.

Posted by: dre7861 | February 17, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that people are begining to see the truth about Reagan. He and his cronies declared war on the middle and working class in this country and he gave us Noriaga, Sadam and Osama Bin Laden to boot! Reagan was a puppet mouth piece of Republican haters who's positions were so vile that they couldn't themselves get elected. They found a dolt like Reagn who just smiled and read what they put in front of him and ran this country into the ground from the back room.

Posted by: pkane

------------------------

Another Liberal poster without any common sense.

Am I the only one to graduate from college in this blog? pkane could use a spell check. dalyplanet and bobmoses probably have multiple degrees but the Liberals that drip their vile poison into their blog posts are as intelligent as a bunch of rocks. Hey pkane, go down to the market and get me a bottle of radio static and a box of grid squares and be quick about it.

Reagan was smarter than the combined brain power of all the Liberals here and then some.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 17, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkane | February 17, 2011 9:08 AM | Report abuse

It is always nice to watch the game "tag of war". Those who are strong and pull the rope harder, are the ones who emerge as winners!

Posted by: fridamulindayahoocouk | February 17, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Full circle from "Morning in America" to "Bedtime for Bonzo".

Posted by: joel5 | February 17, 2011 7:12 AM | Report abuse

LOL. I think Toles has it backwards. Even liberal Post pundits have acknowledged that Obama punted this issue to the GOP.

Toles is too busy making ad-hominem attacks to bother informing himself on the basic facts.

Posted by: clydle | February 17, 2011 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Presidential leadership about winning the future not the next election? That's what the teleprompter said about a month ago anyway.

Posted by: jornolibist | February 17, 2011 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Tole's cartoon today is such a shill and shrill effort by the Liberals to mislead us about the budget battle. Obama punted on his budget; the GOP have declared that they're going to cut $100B.

Bush II had the courage to make fixing Social Security a priority and the Democrats crushed him for it. So don't feed us this total bull about wimpy budget posturing. Liberals wrote the book on it.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 17, 2011 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Toles and ptgrunner, and PrairieDog60,

1 - As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, the Reagan era is remembered accurately. We'll be toasting his memory century's from now (hopefully the Singularity folks are right about agelessness). Liberals were nearly extinct in 1988; guess we could all agree that you three are glad that Reagan only stayed for 8 years.

2 - Whilst ptgrunner and his ilk we're looking for 'free' love in the '60s, pretending that they were really against the Vietnam War for higher principles, my old man was serving over there. 4 tours. He never complained - just did his duty. The Toles and ptgrunner types of this world greeted him with a lot of respect when he returned to Pasadena after each tour. We'll always remember the solid moral character of the demonstrators that offered their thoughts to Dad on those happy occasions. Good times lost, right ptg?

3 - Today's youth, by and large, can take measure of the imperfection of the USG when it comes to fighting wars. That's why you have Soldiers and Marines fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq (Iraq is still a combat zone for the US) on multiple tours. Some of these troops are on their 5th or 6th tour. You can make a lot of noise about Iraq but no one wants Saddam back. The noise you make about Afghanistan, however, underpins your own serious lack of character ptg. Odds are you weren't in the Pentagon or the Twin Towers when the planes hit. Even better odds that you weren't 'in' one of the planes that day, right?

Paying taxes is Patriotic?

Feel free to lay out your debate about Afghanistan.

4 - 'TV and the internet keep me from being bored to tears.' That tells me a lot. All the suffering that you claim exists in the world that your highness could address but let's all stop the clocks and make sure you aren't bored. PTG, why don't you get off your bu__ and go create some anarchy...you know like spend a month in Bangladesh and help out the folks living in the slums of Dhaka. More than enough 'out there' in any country for you to do if you have the moral fiber to do it.

5 - I've got news for you: the majority of American's still frown about 'drugs.'

6 - All in all, you three deserve each other. What a bunch of sad-sacks; heck, you make OckamsRazor Dave (despite his Liberal tendencies, I respect him for his Korean War service; and he could kick all our bu__s with his Judo skills) look like an optimist.

Reagan killed the American socialist experiment (recently dug up in 2008 for a short reincarnation), thank goodness. Life looked pretty bleak in 1980. Setting aside our usual debate about Carter, the one thing you know he couldn't do was lead. The Nation was depressed. Reagan's 'optimism' led young folks to get off their duffs and do something for their country, for themselves without a government handout. I wasn't a Republican; wasn't a Democrat; but I was happy to follow Reagan's example.

Still headed on the right path; I'm glad Reagan was there to show me the way.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 17, 2011 2:19 AM | Report abuse

The 60s was a great period. More than a little strange to be sure. I was growing up in my small home town where I now live again--the town that made the national news in early Dec. 2010 for having a record snowfall of 48". It's just as isolating now as it was in the 1950s and 1960s. TV and now the Internet save me from being bored to tears. The 1960s? The Beatles and the British invasion (music, not war). Sure, many musicians from the UK listened to American blues musicians--that influenced them a great deal but most of us didn't know that then. People in the U.S. were exploring new ways of thinking. Drugs, free love (is it ever free?), long hair when that sort of behavior was frowned upon, rock and roll, Eastern religions, thought and culture, drinking age was 18. We didn't hate Mexicans. We were rebellious, perhaps more so than any generation before us or after us. Maybe the most important thing we did was vigorously protest the war in Vietnam. We didn't just question it--that war was wrong and we knew it. We were being asked to go half way around the world to fight and possibly die for something we did not and never did understand. I can't imagine today's youth coming to their senses and recognizing that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are wrong. Since Reagan, maybe before that: no one really questions things anymore; social justice seems very hard to obtain for black, gays, women, the poor and disenfranchised (this group has only Jerry Springer to help them air their grievances). Now, my generation *seems* to be the driving force behind the Tea Party! We have become nothing but self-obsessed people who don't want to pay our taxes. Where did it all go wrong? (Reagan) Were we ever right? We have Tom Toles and we have the Onion. We have the Washington Post, the NY Times. We have Craig Ferguson. We still have the Rolling Stones. We have CDs and books, but maybe not much longer. We have HDTV. Then again we have Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and a bunch of other wannabe musicians. Drinking age is 21( precise laws vary by state but this law was passed under that freedom-loving Ronald Reagan). Drugs, the laws will ruin your life. Sex, HIV/AIDs. We have tremendous national debt. started under Reagan and very much continued under George Bush. Not much fun to be had anymore. Well, as Crosby, Stills and Nash sang, "it's getting to the point where I'm no fun anymore." Maybe I'm just old. Maybe the modern Republican/conservative movement has destroyed my country--bingo, I've hit on something.

Don't forget to pay your taxes--that's what patriots do.

Posted by: ptgrunner | February 17, 2011 12:33 AM | Report abuse

RR started out as an ideological democrat, but that all changed with the McCarthy hearings (aka "witch hunt").

Go figure that one, and when you have an answer, get back to me.

Also, RR's primary objective as POTUS was to bring down the "Evil Empire". The economy was secondary, but not lost on him, hence "Voodoo Economics".

RR's legacy keeps growing with time... Sorry, nothing you can do but accept it.

Posted by: chaunceygardener | February 16, 2011 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Just think back in the 70's liberal scientists were pushing the new ice age as the environmental crisis dujor. Back then the scientists said we were supposed to watch for armadillos migrating further south as proof, but now it could be humans.

Posted by: billybeer6 | February 16, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse