Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 03/10/2011

Complex revolutions

By Tom Toles

c_03102011-454.gif

***

Up in arms

If I had an upholstered armchair, I would settle back in it to do some armchair speculating today. Like every day, but today I would hold a thoughtful pipe in my hand. A bubble pipe, because I don't use tobacco products. Tobacco is at last acknowledged to be exceedingly bad for you after a decades-long argument that was pretty much an exact duplicate of the climate argument we are having now as a way of proving that we are slow learners.

Anyway, as the bubbles float above my head, like good cartoon thought bubbles do, here's another reason why I think the new class of the hyper-wealthy is dangerous to you and me. In case you missed it, rich people are not only not like you and me, but they are not like rich people of thirty years ago. They are way WAY richer now. Rich people's incomes have pulled so far away from the common rabble that I think a certain change in psychology is nearly inevitable, human psychology being what we know and love/hate.

So here is this new class of people for whom the standard expectation of wealth and income has become so extreme, that the need to do what it takes to maintain it all has to invite some severe temptation to do things that Mom would not be proud of. Or maybe she would, depending on the mom. And on a necessarily dangerous scale. This seems to be what led to the Great Recession we have been enjoying so thoroughly of late. Conservatives are fond of explaining aberrant behavior in terms of incentives. I don't see what has changed much in the incentive structure here. Do you? --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_03102011.gif

By Tom Toles  | March 10, 2011; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  International, Middle East
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Legal limbo
Next: Ill legitimate

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

"Liberals...blah, blah, blah......"

That is, by metaphor, what the child hears at 6 months old.
Maybe we need a different language for the hijackers of the
"Grand Old Party."

Posted by: Tony-KS | March 11, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

PTG

Thank you for the links. I have read the second and am looking now at the first. There is no definition of B in the calculation so if you know what that constant is do tell.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 11, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@dalyplanet

Once again, it was easy...and I have only dialup.

Bolin, Bert, and Erik Eriksson (1959). "Changes in the Carbon Dioxide Content of the Atmosphere and Sea Due to Fossil Fuel Combustion." In The Atmosphere and the Sea in Motion, edited by Bert Bolin, pp. 130-42. New York: Rockefeller Institute Press.

at http://wiki.nsdl.org/index.php/PALE:ClassicArticles/GlobalWarming/Article8

and

Budyko, Mikhail I. (1969). "The Effect of Solar Radiation Variations on the Climate of the Earth." Tellus 21: 611-19.

at http://wiki.nsdl.org/index.php/PALE:ClassicArticles/GlobalWarming/Article11

There are GW many papers listed at

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/bib.htm but most of those are no available online. You'll have to hit your local library.

Posted by: ptgrunner | March 10, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

~~~Dave I don't mind the chit chat, it was berts subject matter regarding primates evolution of the procreating part and relationship to brain size path that I was not wanting to go down earlier today.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 8:11 PM~~~

Oh Please Planet...I pulled that tidbit(chuckle) off my computer live feed....those weren't my words!!
Such a prude you have turned out to be.
By all means...don't go down then :)

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 8:40 PM

You asked for links to papers before 1976. I easily found two. Arrhenius and the other from the late 1950s. If it was so easy for me, you should be able to manage it.

On what do we agree in part or otherwise. You've not really stated a *position* on any part of the AGW debate. But you do post AGW denier's work, and when you have done so, you have not stated whether you agree with that work or have already fund it flawed.

Warm today isn't it.

Don't forget to pay your taxes.

Posted by: ptgrunner | March 10, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

PTG
I was guessing you had found the work of Arrhenius but that is sooo easy. I thought and had hoped you were finding me something from 1975 or so to show there were concerns then instead of, or contrary to, the global cooling as was stated in the Newsweek article. That would be a major score for your side of the discussion.

Why do you think I will not look at anything you may present. My mind is open and I was once somewhat a believer but have gradually turned away from the faith. Perhaps you can help me see the light again.

And and AND you KNOW that last discussion was not a wild goose chase because we have some agreement on that topic. Not complete agreement but some.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 12:34 AM

I'll not be sent on any more wild goose chases by you. The papers are there, and you EASILY find them on your own. Unfortunately, you only dig up denier type CC papers (confirmation bias!).

Providing Internet links to some papers, which you would not bother to read anyway, hardly rises to the level of "scientific findings."

I will say that I easily found the paper by that well known Commie, liberal, socialist, Al Gore suck-up, grant-chasing Svant Arrhenius that started the whole CO2/AGW hoax. Do your own research.

Posted by: ptgrunner | March 10, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

With apologies to Mr. Dickens.

The populist BULL from Toles and the rest of the Libs on this blog is getting more and more over the top.

...
Liberals...blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah, blah
Libs...blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah, blah
Liberals...blah, blah, blah.......blah, blah, blah
...

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 4:12 AM
---------------------------------------------
@pararanger

Excuse me. This is Toles blog...or have you expropriated it for your own purposes?

"Populist BULL?" So you object to populists, where "populist" is defined as "a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people." Doesn't that make you an elitist? An elitist is defined as "a person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or dominated by an elite" or are you just "a person who believes that they belong to an elite?" Aren't conservatives all about opposing elites? Just saying...

You couldn't write an logically consistent argument for anything. Your opinions are based entirely on ignorance and you completely misunderstand what is happening in U.S. politics today.

And since you have apologized to Daniel Patrick Moynihan, you should probably apologize to Charles Dickens. And then you should apologize to the rest of us.

Posted by: ptgrunner | March 10, 2011 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm not as far SW but I get down that way from time to time for meetings/briefings/etc. I live in the ancient city of Bath (e.g., Roman Baths which still exist). Very touristy town; wonderful Georgian buildings, and the 19th century home of their favorite daughter Jane Austen of Pride and Prejudice fame (and also the name of one of my daughters, Austen).
Posted by: pararanger22

My Reply...
Sorry to Planet but more Chit Chat.
I guess he likes to get "down to earth".
Yes, I would like to see pictures of Mousehole. It has been many years since I have been there.
You might try the Lobster Inn Restaurant while you are there.
My grandfather was a wealthy merchant in Cornwall and my Aunt married a man in South Africa who owned gold mines.
I have been to Bath; it is a lovely city and the Ancient Roman bath is fascinating. Apparently it had sunk in a bog and was well preserved under a house in Bath.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | March 10, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Jon...I did vote for one of them...and no...they should not 'walk off the job' This is the first time I am awhere of this happening...tho I do get your point.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the rich? The wealthiest 20% of Americans pay over 40% of the taxes, for cripes sake. About 40.5%, to be exact.

While controlling roughly 85% of the wealth and receiving roughly 92% of the income.

Poor babies.

Posted by: jonroesler | March 10, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I surely will not be voting for them next election!!
Posted by: bertzel

Should it bother politicians we did not vote for in the last election, that we once again won't be voting for them in the next one? ; )

The truth is that the Wisconsin Dems did the only thing they could to try to stop overwhelming defeat; they denied the senate a quorum.

Kinda like the power of the filibuster in the U.S. senate, isn't it? Really? When a minority makes use of the rules of parliamentary procedure to prevent a straight up-or-down vote from taking place?

Seems to me that, this sort of thing happens all the time.

Posted by: jonroesler | March 10, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes bert you are correct, I will try.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Nothing in politics is easy and/or quiet.
Change is always difficult but people adjust. When you have groups like the union who are looking out for their own welfare (survival) and people like Michael Moore declaring,"This is war"....It is as you say a big ole circus! Of course the 'timing' of the Middle East protests coinciding with the union fiasco only adds to the frenzy!
and planet .. you need to lighten up a bit!

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

~~~Sort of like curbing greenhouse gas emissions to reduce the effects of climate change. The status quo is so much more attractive. Until you get to the consequences of not changing.~~~ fbrewer

It is likely better to adapt to the little effects of climate change than to turn away from carbon fuel. The AGW problem is much bigger than fixing a states budget. It is telling though how our society sweats the small stuff while ignoring the bigger picture or pictures.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

bertzel

Maintaining the status quo would have prevented the circus and threat of recall for Gov and senate and calls for student walkouts and massing for bigger theater at the capital and all the whine of class warfare. This is a firestorm over almost nothing except loosening the union grip. The lies and distortions presented to and by the media is appalling. Easy and quieter to just get along if you are a politician.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

~~~but when one sees this it does make the status quo attractive.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:52 PM

Ok planet...my bad...guess I'm really not chatting here.....what would you call it??
Not to chat back at you but---- what makes the status quo attractive???
sure doesn't look pretty to me!

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

dalyplanet said, "It is time for change today but when one sees this it does make the status quo attractive."

Posted by: fbrewer1 | March 10, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

No that is NOT all I got but this is not a chat room bert.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This activity today and the last weeks shows how difficult real needed reorganization of government processes really will be. It is time for change today but when one sees this it does make the status quo attractive.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

~~Proof of 'the science of evolution' there bert? funny

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:40 PM~~

funny....that's all you got! That is a LMAO moment! I have a feeling that info is going to be popping into my head in the most inappropriate of times for at least a day or two...I can see the 'strange looks' coming my way already!!

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Personally,I, am getting quite tired of it all...just sayin'.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Personally,I, am getting quite tired of it all...just sayin'.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Proof of 'the science of evolution' there bert? funny

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Then of course there is the fact that the NFL Union boss is vowing no 18-game plan....think they are trying to prove something?

Solidarity eh?

No real mainstream TV etc coverage. The net images are not pretty. A huge temper tantrum is being thrown over loosing the election 3 months ago. Thugs and bully's and a 15 second spot on the noon AP.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

oh, oh...and the forbes new rich list has been released....geeze...not pretty.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Here's one you might enjoy planet...biggest laugh of the day for me, thus far....

CBC.ca
Lost in evolution: a hairy penis, a tiny brain...
AFP
PARIS - Some defining human traits -- a penis bereft of the stiff sensory hairs common to many male mammals, a bulging brain -- come less from new genes than genetic material lost through evolution, according to a study published Thursday.
Genetics makes spineless men The Australian
Chimp penis spine DNA lost to humans San Francisco Chronicle
How man, but not chimp, evolved to have spike-free penis Sify
NEWS.com.au - ABC Online - Ninemsn - Fox News
all 165 news articles »

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Planet...it is posted on a lot of sites..what is your problem?
capitol shut down...protesters being removed. The over time police officers(My tax dollars) finally earning their overtime pay! What more do you need to know?

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Planet...it is posted on a lot of sites..what is your problem?

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Dont tell me there is no media bias !!!

Imagine that it was tea party people protesting in Madison. It would be 24\7 wall to wall coverage. What a bunch of unruly cry babies.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

~~~meetings/briefings/etc. ranger~~~

Not to get too personal,ranger, but if I may be so bold as to ask what it is you do per your meetings, briefings, etc.?

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 1:08 PM | Report abuse

By the way Para, did you say you are in the SW end of England? My dad is from Cornwall, a little town with the unlikely name of Mousehole.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor

---------------------------

Dave,

Near Cornwall, yes. Cornwall is one of the most sought after areas to buy a home I understand. Mousehole is beautiful too - I'll make it a mission to get down there and take photos if you want and post them if you would like me to.

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I see where fact checking isn't even extended to country artists.

Posted by: Rudesan

--------------------

I didn't say Joplin wrote it - but of course, it was her signature song. It's a family memory of sorts...

...my Dad used to play it on his guitar on his 3d (of 4) tours in Vietnam. His favorite song, actually.

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Yep. Good stuff.

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

~~"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." from "Me and Booby McGee", written by Kris Kristofferson.
I see where fact checking isn't even extended to country artists.

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 12:14 PM ~~~

LOL!!! You also know that is a love song right??

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

~~~But if one follows the patterns set in previous depressions, there seems to be a "tipping point" of income inequality which, once passed, leads to an economic collapse. Those who are intent on amassing more wealth than they would ever need for any reason are failing to take this into account.

Posted by: Capn0ok1 | March 10, 2011 11:52 AM ~~
Then perhaps we should set sail for a new course...aye Capn??

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I see where fact checking isn't even extended to country artists.

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Liberals are toast.
Public unions are done.
It's over - don't even bother to vote in 2012 Liberals.
Posted by: pararanger22

My Response...
When people wake up and smell the garbage that the conservatives have been feeding
them; there will be no place to run for the conservatives.
Tarred and feathered will be the least of the punishments.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | March 10, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The unstated goal of the "Conservative" agenda is to restore the feudal system, where you are either serf or noble. The only reason people who work for a living might support this is they hope to be created knights and barons in the new, old order.

Posted by: Capn0ok1 | March 10, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

~~Nice work.

If you run, I'll lead your campaign!

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 11:43 AM~~~

Ha, ha, ha.

Never happen...I hate politics : )
nice to have you in my corner tho.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

What I find funny is that, NOW, those senators that 'ran away and hid' are coming back to fight!!! LMAO!!
Too bad they can't get thrown in jail for a few days. I surely will not be voting for them next election!!

Posted by: bertzel

----------------------

Nice work.

If you run, I'll lead your campaign!

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Born naked and unemployed. Die naked and unemployed. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

And yes, "...some of the pigs are more equal than the other pigs..." (Orwell's Animal Farm.

Posted by: rowens1

--------------------

Freedom to sell our labor power? Excuse me? Our country was founded on the principle of free trade.

Janis Joplin. Very profound. Go gargle with some razor blades and you can sound just like her (of course, the drug addiction stuff is an added benefit to mimicing her).

There is nothing 'free' about being in a union. Furthermore, public unions come at a direct cost to the taxpayer.

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Some people shouldn't try to defend the "American way of life" when they don't even live here anymore. Aren't their Tory papers to complain about? Crawl back under a rock.

Posted by: Rudesan

---------------------

Nice try Rudesan but I've earned my American keep and still do. Spending 50% of my life these days in US and UK, our greates Ally is not a disqualifier dude.

Governments are having trouble because of huge, public union negotiated wages, benefits, and pensions. When that problem is relieved, Governments will be fiscally sound.

The folks aren't stupid; they've wised up and they aren't going to listen to these Liberal fabrications anymore.

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

~~~Granting authority to the executive branch to make unilateral decisions about what is best for the populace? Bad idea.

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 10:37 AM

The Wisconsin Senate and House have created the legislation to change union employee's contracts to be closer to federal employee's. Once this legislation is passed ( It was being held up by AWOL senator's) Governor Walker will sign it into law. Nothing unilateral at all in this decision.

Of course Rudesan, you do not appear to be one to let facts get in the way of your opinions.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 11:21 AM | Report abuse

~~I'm not from Wisconsin, but I don't believe the voters elected representatives to strip them of their negotiating power. Wallace did not include that in his campaign platform. ~~~

Who's Wallace?( I know you meant Walker: )
You are referring to the union....not all voters belong to a union...
Unions do not belong in the public sector and, well, they still have their union don't they? Unions have already lost their 'sense of power'. They are no longer of any use...at least not for the working force...this is nothing new. It has been this was for a few decades now...

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Belt tightening? You bet. I'd even like to see our congress tackle thorny issues like defense spending, Medicare and social security. Granting authority to the executive branch to make unilateral decisions about what is best for the populace? Bad idea.

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Come on, jpost1. Respect Tom, don't just demean him. He does what he believes in, so respect him for that!

Posted by: quiensabe | March 10, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

~~~Face it: Freedom in America is the freedom to sell your labor power. Sure you can say what you want, but don't DO anything to change this single fact or you'll be in deep trouble.rowens~~~

We, the laborers, are just as guilty. Just using the internet has lost us many a 'laborer'. The more we 'advance' the more behinder we get....pun intended.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Toles, every time you present your repetative bile against the rich, the ghost of Karl Marx must be somewhere smiling. To you libs, anyone who has more money than you do is rich, got it unfairly, and doesn't deserve to keep it. No matter how they obtained it... and forget the fact that they might have made some serious sacrifices along the way. Why don't you take your bubble pipe and go crawl under a rock to do your musings.

Posted by: Timanddori | March 10, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rowens1 | March 10, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Finally ??? Toles?

Every pack has had a warning lable since 1965 so what is that, like 46 years ago?"

Posted by: dalyplanet

Actually, the original label only said "Caution: Cigarette Smoking May Be Hazardous to Your Health." This is hardly a serious warning and is not a "lable" of any kind.

Posted by: jbierst | March 10, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

~~What happened in Wisconsin and what is happening in Michigan and in states across our country is the dismantling of democracy. The republicants have taken over the legislatures, the executive branches and the courts. And as long as people are stupid enough to believe that this is all in their best interest, states around the country will collapse from within.

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 9:14 AM~~

In case you haven't noticed, democracy is an illusion. It does not exist.
Then again... what happened in Wisconsin is what the voters elected to happen. They wanted government to tighten it's belt.
They wanted no more new taxes.
Guess what they got? Now they are crying about it(at least the union is) and yes...the world is watching(that statement was from a protester in Madtown) and that is a good thing....Let the people in the Middle East see what America is really about : )

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Toles, sometimes your ‘artistry’ is very questionable.
Take that’ Blob of whatever’, in your toon. Can’t quite figure out what that is intended to be, tho it does look very much like a really poor visual (special effect) which I have seen in one of the “Outer Limits” episodes. Laughable, to say the least. But I suppose ‘back in the day’ it was considered very impressive :)

Jpost1—funny!

Jorno—cry me a river.

ranger—as always, thanks for the laughter.

Posted by: bertzel | March 10, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Simple (in fact, even I can understand it) greed, lying and stealing is rewarded beyond any level that has existed except maybe, in Imperial Roman days; as the saying goes, the best way to rob a bank is to be the Bank CEO but that now applies to all corporations especially any wall street “investment” firms and people today (too many) are far to preoccupied by the joke of family values (ie hate anyone different from you) to care. Bread (read corporate welfare for corn) and circus (read media owned by the elite but the mob has gotten more hate filled. The more things change the more human behavior follows the same old pattern of hate. Peak oil will really be a devastating disaster for the dying middle class and for amerika in general (the most liquid fuel dependant country in the world) – will be ugly and happening all too soon.

Posted by: dennispbrown1 | March 10, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rudesan | March 10, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Thirty years ago? Really! Those who don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it. Check out Ida Tarbell for a more distant take. (I liked the article where she quotes the Mellons, Rockefellers, et. al. about how one just cannot live on a thousand dollars a day.)

Posted by: ErrolHess | March 10, 2011 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"...as the bubbles float above my head..."

Ah, I always knew little Tommy is a bubblehead. Thanks for providing confirmation, as if it were needed after your continuous class warfare screeds and abject lack of scientific understanding.

Posted by: jpost1 | March 10, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

While a bullying victim can turn inward and become depressed, his anger can also turn outward and provoke a violent response.

"What Color is your Parachute?" is being replaced by "What Color is your Pitchfork?" Sooner rather than later, the chauffeur will park the limo, the personal chef will put down his toque, the gardener will leave his rake and just walk away. When enough people who actually do the work in this country are fed up, the sycophancy to the entitled will end.

Posted by: DougMUSN

----------------------

The really disturbing part about your post is that you probably really believe the nonsense you write. What you've written is an implied threat meant to get into the mainstream of American thinking. These musings are anarchical, careless, and dangerous. These Liberal thoughts are also typical, hypocritical, populist, fabricated, drivel.

The Left whined and moaned about Tea Party demonstrations that despite all the Liberal propaganda, have been pretty tame. The Union demonstrations in WI have been anything but civilized.

Americans have a right to demonstrate. Americans have a right - the freedom - to make a living. Americans have the right to make as much money - even a fortune - as long as it is legal.

Liberals and RINOs have driven the USG into fiscal dust by funding too many pork barrel programs, too much duplication (see GAO report from last month), too many earmarks. The T-E-A in Tea Party is for Taxed Enough Already - and they're right. The old adage remains correct: it's not that we're not taxed enough, it's that we spend too much. The Conservative GOP has a foothold in the House and in many Governorships - let the policy debate for this country commence.

So - if folks on the Left want to demonstrate/protest/yell/etc? I'll be glad to stand between them and anyone who challenges their right to do so.

That's the American Way.

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Wisconsin Republicans win second Super Bowl victory for Wisconsin this year with an 18-1 defeat of socialism last night.

Posted by: jornolibist | March 10, 2011 6:30 AM | Report abuse

I fear we are approaching a tipping point from bullying by Gaddafi, by Walker, by Bachmann, by Beck, by the Kochs, a my-way-or-the-highway modus vivendi destined get us all in real trouble.

The (unconfirmed, likely unsaid) quote attributed to ADM Yamamoto in the wake of Pearl Harbor in 1941 rings in my head: "I fear all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant".

Posted by: DougMUSN | March 10, 2011 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Bush ALMOST beat climate change by stifling science.
As far as the uber-wealthy, they have always been around, it's just that now they can finally buy the political machine outright.
After a while all the lies about "trickle down" may eventually cause the "peons" to wake up and see what has been trickling down.
Unfortunately for the uber-rich the conservative party has put great effort into ensuring all the peons are armed. When the peons decide not to be peons they may revolt, and they are well armed.

Posted by: gemniii | March 10, 2011 5:43 AM | Report abuse

The "Science of Evolution" gives credible evidence that tobacco arises from inorganic matter through natural processes or from primordial ooze. It would naturally follow that climate change and tobacco use are good since they themselves synthesized through biochemical pathways. Keep it up, Tom!

Posted by: quiensabe | March 10, 2011 5:17 AM | Report abuse

Actually Tom, - like we don't need tobacco, we don't NEED the Rich either.
They don't pay taxes.
They don't create employment (They cut and outsource and call it "management").
They hoard capital (except for expenditure on Politicians) - depriving others of the means to improve their daily lives.
They create monopolies. (Walmart, Microsoft Monsanto etc.) eliminating competition.
They exploit but do not plant (Sustainable is NOT one of their words)
They will use any type of fraud to get richer (Banking crisis, foreclosures).
etc.

So what good are they to the rest of us?

Posted by: Stonebird | March 10, 2011 4:52 AM | Report abuse

The disinformation campaign regarding global warming is very similar to that regarding the health effects of tobacco products. The strategy is the same: cast doubt on the science, spread lies about the effects of tobacco or greenhouse, and spare no expense because there is a lot of $ a stake. Who would know any better? The science tells the story in either case quite clearly. But we're largely a scientifically illiterate country.

Mr Toles should know better than to talk about the large and growing income disparity. [The WI GOP tonight discovered a way w/o the Democrats to eliminate collect bargaining rights for public workers. It's Miller Time.] COnservatives will simply change the subject from income disparity, which looks REAL bad, to tax disparity which they think makes them look very good. Paraphrasing Sophie Tucker, *"I've been rich and I’ve been poor -- rich is better." That statement was true when Ms. Tucker said it and it's even more true now. The wealthy have always had it good; now they have it even better. So let's not talk about the horribly oppressive taxes for the wealthy, since they are very low by post-WWII historical standards.

Posted by: ptgrunner

----------------------

Conservatives are all rich. We're home polishing our GOLD, all of our massive bars of GOLD I tell you!

More coal for the stove Liberal?! COAL costs money - I must have more GOLD, GOLD, I tell you!

Our small, flat, Conservative world is ours, along with all the GOLD!! Why the SUN revolves around the EARTH because of all of our precious GOLD I tell you!

More taxes? You would pick my pocket for more taxes for the poor sir? And more money for science literature too? That money is for MORE GOLD, MORE GOLD I tell you!

----------------

With apologies to Mr. Dickens.

Thankfully, we have a Governor in Wisconsin who doesn't play games like the AWOL Dems sipping champagne in hot tubs in Illinois whilst their followers do all the hard work fighting for their position (I don't agree with them but admire their tenacity).

The Master Liberal/Union narrative ptgrunner unfolds all the time is over. People just aren't buying it anymore.

BTW, which party do you think was spreading more lies about tobacco over the years?

Liberals are toast.

Public unions are done.

It's over - don't even bother to vote in 2012 Liberals.

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 10, 2011 4:12 AM | Report abuse

Toles and ptgrunner

~~The disinformation campaign regarding global warming is very similar to that regarding the health effects of tobacco products. ~~~

I would agree only this time it is the alarmists with the huge money (50 billion) using questionable science to promote an agenda to further transfer of wealth to the chosen few.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 1:07 AM | Report abuse

ptgrunner

Where are the links to the papers you found or are you just blowing smoke. pun intended

Show me the science and convince me. If you did the work, present it.

P.S. I do not need you to show me "how to use the internet" but I would like you to show me your scientific findings.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 10, 2011 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptgrunner | March 9, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

"Throughout most of my life, I raised tobacco. I want you to know that with my own hands, all of my life, I put it in the plant beds and transferred it. I hoed it. I've dug in it. I've sprayed it, I've chopped it, I've shredded it, spiked it, put it in the barn and stripped it and sold it. Albert Arnold Gore Jr., 2/26/88

Posted by: billybeer6 | March 9, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Complexity is someone who smokes tobacco and believes in manmade climate change and was against Gitmo before he was for it.

Posted by: jornolibist | March 9, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Finally ??? Toles?

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 9, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Complex revolutions
By Tom Toles

My read of the situation ...
Complex revolutions and false intentions that have come to naught.
It seems we have been using the "Democracy" bait to do our dirty work and now that people expect us to follow through find out that actually we are talking Democracy while doing dictatorship to benefit our money grubbing corporations.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | March 9, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Like the Camel trying to go through an eye of
a needle gate, the rich person can't make it.
So the person with so much wealth, gives up.
There is no meek inside, only struggle to hold on.

The incentive for the rest of us is to decide on
the temporary life or the eternal life in history.
Period.