Game 4 - Why Bother?

Anyone else already dreading the drive to FedEx tonight? I hate these weekday night games. Inevitable traffic chaos. Even more parking lot bedlam than usual (I mean jammed up I-95, not the actual spots where people drop off their cars for $35 a pop). I'm thinking I'll be out of DC and on my way to DannyLand by 3:30 this afternoon to be safe.

With the Ravens in town, there's bound to be plenty of Baltimorons (I write that with the utmost love and respect and can get away with that, since I'm a Baltimoron myself) making the trip. And all to watch the starters play probably a collective 12 plays. Oh well. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for, eh? I have to say, taking the logistics of this trip out of it, I still don't have high expectations for this game. The second half in particular will be an open audition for the collective scouts from the CFL, NFL Europe, Arena League ... you get the idea. Good thing my main man Howard Bryant is writing the game story tonight and not me.

I have a feeling Jason Campbell is going to get at least another half of play, which will change absolutely nothing. Al Saunders wanted Todd Collins, Al Saunders got Todd Collins and Al Saunders has ultimate faith in Todd Collins. Four preseason games never was going to change that. If Todd Collins isn't the No. 2 QB come opening day - which I have professed since the day he was signed in March - I will be utterly stunned. Floored. I'll turn in my credential to the NFL and walk away with my tail between my legs

Dose of Reality: Okay, I'm keeping the credential. The way Chloe Jane is tearing through the spinach nuggets these days (we've resorted to tricking her into eating veggies already, at just 18 months, telling her they're chicken nuggets. Man, she takes after her daddy sometimes), there's going to be a shortage on Size 5 Cruiser diapers in Arlington County, and I need this here job. So the credential stays. Back to the blog.

I'd keep an eye on LB Rocky McIntosh, too. He's coming on strong and plays the kind of knock-your-head-off football these coaches demand. He's got a ton to learn, still, but I figure he'll pop a few more people tonight and push his way into the base packages by Week 4 (I'm full of fearless prognostications today). Figure we'll get a decent dosage of RB T.J. Duckett tonight as well. But overall, don't expect much from this game. You'll only be let down.

Randoms: I've spent way too much time this week on the phone with agents for NFL vagabond punters. Way too much time. I feel like I'm almost part of the subculture at this point. I keep getting obscure numbers quoted to me - so and so had a 4.2 hang time on his first 20 punts at his last tryout, etc., etc. - and I'm almost at the point where I know what the heck these guys are talking about ... Been playing phone tag with Steve Young this week for a story I've been working on. He called me back at home the other day, not on the cell as I asked. So my wife, who has minimal sports knowledge/interest, tells when I get home from The Park that "somebody" called looking for me from their car, and he sounded important, but she wasn't sure who it was. She was on the other line talking to one of her sorority sisters, clicked over briefly, asked the dude if he had my cell number, then went back to her conversation. Have been unable to get Young on the phone since. Wonder how often he's put on hold? ...

I'm a huge fan of Carlsberg. Might be my favorite brew. Even dubbed it the official beer of Chloe's baptism, and turned a bunch of non-believers on to it last spring at her party. So I'm in Safeway Wednesday night, with a small list of stuff to get from my wife, when I stumble into Elephant, a new beer by Carlsberg. Turns out it's a malt liquor. A little too much going on for my taste now - but who hasn't gone though an Olde English/ St. Ide's/Mad Dog phase - yet an interesting beverage all in all ... Might have some new information on the future of this blog - apparently we're going to be out of the wilderness and into the mainstream soon enough - after heading to the office today. I'll let you know what I find out. Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora |  August 31, 2006; 10:00 AM ET
Previous: The Baseball Bunch | Next: Friday (late) Morning H-Back

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Jason, I'm glad you're a Carlsberg fan, and that you tried Elephant, but it is not, sorry to say, a "new" beer. It's been around forever. In fact, the Elephant is one of the symbols of the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen, and there's a bar in Copenhagen called the Elephant that serves nothing but. The thing with Elephant is that two of 'em is plenty...

Posted by: Dane | August 31, 2006 10:10 AM

mmmmmmm.......Olde English/ St. Ide's/Mad Dog. Nothing beats shoulder-tapping and asking someone 21+ to buy you a few of those. I was first introduced to Mad Dog many years ago while spending the night camping out at Annapolis Mall waiting to buy HFStival tickets (back when the HFStival was actually pretty good).

But let's not forget other classics like Steel Reserve, Mickey's, and King Cobra. For like 5 bucks you could buy a few of those and get pretty drunk. The only downer was the last 1/4 of those things tasted absolutely awful. Luckily now it's pretty much Black and Tans or Stella Artois for me. It's fun to graduate up to better tasting beers.

There was this one chick who I knew in college that would down 3 OE's like it was nothing. She was a champ. Oh precious memories.

The best though was when I was going to U of Maryland and living at Berkley Apartments (what a dump). Luckily right down the street there was a liquor store (College Park Liquors; Su is the best) that would DELIVER. It was sweet b/c they'd send some college age kid and he wouldn't even ask for ID when he got there. As a minor it was totally sweet. One time Su (the owner) actually told us that they delivered to our apt. more than anywhere else.

Also, Jason, I too was just busting your chops about the grammer. Being a technical editor/writer, it's just in my blood but it was all done in jest.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | August 31, 2006 10:30 AM

Elephant is not new, Jason. But be very careful with it. As a avowed beer drinker I took it lightly one night. After two 12oz I had to give up my car keys. Elephant put me on my a@#. I didn't feel as corny once I found out it was a malt liquor.

I know I'm late but thanks for all your soccer coverage this summer.

Posted by: Wilson Fisk | August 31, 2006 10:41 AM

Come on out to FedUp Field and help DannyBoy pay for another schlock fest movie of mine and support Scientology at the same time.

The South Park guys however, aren't invited.

Posted by: Tom Cruise | August 31, 2006 10:55 AM

Hey Jason,

Peter King once again mentioned Jason Campbell taking over for Brunell mid-season (in his recent write-up on sports illustrated online). Why is he the only guy writing on this topic? Any chance he has an insight that no one else has? Do Todd Collins and Al Saunders hold hands when they walk on the field together?

Thanks,

Garry Glitter

Posted by: Garry Glitter | August 31, 2006 10:59 AM

It looks like the blog has a new name. The link on the front page reads " Redskins Insider: Game 4 -- Why Bother?"

Posted by: JT | August 31, 2006 11:06 AM

Hey Jason,
Carlsberg is a good one, but when I was in Copenhagen I took an even stronger liking to Tuborg, another old Danish beer that is now brewed by the Carlberg people. It's a little harder to find Stateside, but I do know that Magruders in Chevy Chase, DC stocks it. I'm sure other places do as well.

To football: When are the Redskins going to call back Andy Groom? I thought he was better than Frost last year. I'm sure Derrick is a nice guy, but he's going to be the undoing of this team.

Posted by: Dylan | August 31, 2006 11:13 AM

Jason,

Do you have any idea why the Redskins have not made the call for Travis Dorsch? He seems like has more than enough to cover both punting and kickoffs. I don't understand why they would hire/fire a punter retired for 2 years and then NOT call in Dorsch (unless the plan from the beginning was just to bring Johnson in to make Frost more high strung and edgy, then boost his confidence by firing Johnson).

Posted by: dcsween | August 31, 2006 11:16 AM

Jason- FYI...3:30 is way too late if you're taking the beltway (95/495). This is going to be a huge get outta town day for a long holiday weekend, mixing with game traffic. Not sure which way you're coming from, but around by 355 and Connecticut Ave heading east, it's going to be nasty by 3 today.

Posted by: Traffic Reporter | August 31, 2006 11:20 AM

Free Personality Test at DannyLand tonight!!

Posted by: L. Ron Hubbard | August 31, 2006 11:46 AM

Elephant will mess you up. Tread Lightly. The first one tastes bad, the second one tastes better, the sixth one remains half finished on the table above the floor where you fell and are spending the night.

Posted by: Todd | August 31, 2006 11:51 AM

Jason,
Carlsberg Elephant malt liquour has been around for along time. The typical morning after comment was "Man, I think I got kicked the head by an ELEPHANT last night"

Enjoy your blog
Steve Stoner

Posted by: Steve Stoner | August 31, 2006 11:51 AM

Jason,

Don't feel bad about tricking your daughter into eating vegetables. My parents used to tell me that if I didn't eat my veggies, the Skins would lose every game every year. And you better believe it worked (in that it got me to eat my veggies, though the Skins did come close to losing all 16 games with Pettibon and Norv Turner (was it 25 losses in two years?)).

Posted by: Rage | August 31, 2006 12:02 PM

All: Good beer thoughts but, for my money, I'm going Delerium Tremens every time out. I've never tested anything else like it and, at 8.9% alcohol, it's like a liquid version of Tylenol PM.

Posted by: The Guru | August 31, 2006 12:19 PM

I don't think that Peter King has EVER had any insight that nobody else had. I think he writes what HE thinks instead of the reality of the situation when it comes to Jason Campbell. I can't stand King...

Gonna have to see if I can drink 6 Elephants tonight and still make it to work by 7 tmorrow morning. thanks for the time you spend on this blog, Jason.

ps- I'm an editor and think words like "gotta" "wanna" and "getta" are grossly under utilized.

Posted by: WrongDog | August 31, 2006 12:23 PM

I wouldn't say I can't stand King but he definitely likes sticking it to the Danny (though it seems like he likes Gibbs). I honestly can't make it through a Monday without reading MMQB, even if I disagree with much of what he writes.

Posted by: Guru | August 31, 2006 12:35 PM

Jason,

WHY would you give Steve-o-I-know-everything, your home phone number along with your cell number anyway, if you didn't want him to call you there?

Posted by: JDW, Bowie | August 31, 2006 01:29 PM

Am I reading this correctly? You are complaining about a job that consists of going to a Redskins game?

Posted by: | August 31, 2006 01:30 PM

Hey Jason,

I want to know what Nick Novak is going to be doing this weekend. Where is he gonna eat? Perhaps he has a trip planned to Bed Bath and Beyond. We the fans want to know about Novak! Personally, I think John Hall is an accident waiting to happen, and the sooner we get Nicky back the sooner we can add him to the Redskins' Ring of Honor. I think I smell a cover story for the Sunday edition, hmmmm.

I was also wondering what Wal-Mart is. I just arrived here in America and moved to the real world of Virginia.

Thanks!

Posted by: Macaca Johnson | August 31, 2006 01:33 PM

Dogfish Ale 90-minute IPA has an alcohol content of 9%. It's pretty good.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | August 31, 2006 01:34 PM

Here at college, everyone drinks Natural Light. It's terrible. Nauseating. Insanely bad.

I had Delirium Tremens on my 21st birthday recently, and it was quite simply, the best beer I've ever had.

Posted by: Trevor Gartenhaus | August 31, 2006 01:54 PM

Forget the fancy horrible tasting stuff --- nothing's better than smooth and easy Michelob Ultra, the greatest beer ever brewed. In fact, had the cave men had Mich Ultra they would've been completely contented and mankind's progress would have stopped. It's that good.

Posted by: mart | August 31, 2006 02:19 PM

Wow,I've been swamped. Okay, I'll respond to it all here:
First off, I love my job, and am in no way complaining. I'd be the first to say that I put a tonof hours into what I do for a living, but it still beats working. Just saying that weekday games and FedEx Field go together like a 12-pack of Elephant and a 4 am wake-up call.

Safeway had Elephant listed as a "new product," but I aman idiot and took it to mean a new beer and not a new item to this store. It was new to me, either way.
Drank 3 last night while transcribing a bunch of interviews on tape and trying to plan a trip with the wife for the bye week ; actually kind of felt it in the morning. So glad I'm not the only one to experience that.
Will have to try the other beers suggested. Trust me, it don't take much provocation with me.

As for Steve Young. here was the problem. My crappy Post cellphone won't work with a car charger and loses power after like 2 calls. I used it up making calls on the way home, and called Steve from my home phone while the other one charged. Left my cellnumber twice in the message. In the end,I'm blaming the wife on this one. If she had called my cell while i was at the Park to tell me "steve so and so just called for you," I could have got him back on the phone right away. Five hours later, when I finally found out,well not so much luck. Anyway, Lauren, I love you. You're the best.

Oh,and just got off the phone with Dorsch's agent - no calls from any teams yet today.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 31, 2006 02:35 PM

Back in the day we used to get lit up with Thunderbird. The old refrain was, "what's the word? THUNDERBIRD!" Awful tasting stuff but got the job done on par with MD 20/20.
I also remember knocking back Tuborg Gold's in the late 70's. Not sure if it has any connection to the aforementioned Tuborg.
These days I'll settle for a Wild Goose Amber or Olde Heurich(spelling?)when in
D.C.. Try a Samuel Smith but be careful...pretty potent stuff.

Posted by: cosmofla | August 31, 2006 03:52 PM

Don't know if it matters or not but on the 'Skins website Campbell is now ahead of Collins on the depth chart - up to this point he had been listed as the 3rd quarterback.

Posted by: David | August 31, 2006 03:56 PM

J
Soooo?

Is this blog mainstream? Us rifraf wanna know.

Posted by: wanna wanna (X.Hog) | August 31, 2006 03:58 PM

I am to watch the first quarter of tonite's "GAME". If the redskin show the same amount of effort as they did in beatdown 1 (JETS) or beatdown 2(Pats). Then I will boycott all things redskins until their season opener. Thursday night FedEx field, no thanks. I would rather wait in line at the DMV.

Posted by: Hunter | August 31, 2006 05:31 PM

Well, I guess the blog will soon be easier to find, is getting promoted a bit in the paper, and, I actually had to get some pictures taken in the office for it. Never thought I would say this, but I actually have some sympathy for male models now. Most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life. Then again, if you're the kind of dude who enjoys immediate responding to strange requests for body contortion, and likes to see look at himself, it could probably be quite enjoyable I suppose.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 31, 2006 05:51 PM

"I call this one, 'The Snake'." - Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute.

Posted by: | August 31, 2006 06:13 PM

preseason don't mean nuttin'. i was reading somewhere recently that, statistically, the teams that lost the majority of their preseason games did better in the regular season. wish i could find that stat. meanwhile, i'll drink this anchor steam.

Posted by: fever | August 31, 2006 07:13 PM

ah, they just showed the stats for the 'skins: their two crappiest preseasons led to super bowls. there ya go.

Posted by: fever | August 31, 2006 08:19 PM

please tell Gibbs his offence sucks sooooo bad and Saunders is pathetic...Losers

Posted by: | August 31, 2006 10:46 PM

Fire Hall NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: paul | August 31, 2006 10:57 PM

Oh please. When did the Washington Post become the New York Post?

Posted by: Dannyland? | September 1, 2006 03:50 PM