Nick Novak, 24/7

Because the people have spoken. Because you demanded it. Because he appears to be one of the most popular ex-Skins of all time (or someone who has a lot of his friends posting comments on this blog), I've got the latest Nick Novak news.

He's getting a hair cut, as we speak, right now in Arizona. Yep, that's right. Got it confirmed straight from the horse's mouth. Just got off the phone with him ... and he's getting a buzz while seeing if anyone claimed him off waivers. Teams can not contact him during this period, and he'll know later if anyone claimed him.

I'll give him a call back tonight and post whatever update I get. I figure we should do a weekly Novak watch all season, no matter where he ends up. Even if he's still waiting around to get signed and just, well, getting a haircut or shopping for groceries. He's a great dude and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me calling him randomly for updates, especially after I tell him how huge he is on this blog.

By Jason La Canfora |  August 29, 2006; 3:09 PM ET
Previous: Punters Galore | Next: Eddie Johnson Just Got Cut, No Joke

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

He's definitely the most popular ex-Redskin at the moment, haha. Thanks for the update!

Posted by: Trevor Gartenhaus | August 29, 2006 03:14 PM

He's the Babe Laufenberg of the Gibbs Part Deux era!

Posted by: P Diddy | August 29, 2006 03:24 PM

Since Lumsden got cut, we can fianlly have another "Player du Jour".

Posted by: TheMalcolmConnection | August 29, 2006 03:37 PM

What was the deal with "The Cult of Jesse?" People seemed to be in love with him, but he always seemed a practice squader at best to me. When he entered the Jets game after the two-minute warning of the FOURTH quarter, that told me all I really needed to know.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 29, 2006 03:42 PM

Too bad the skins waited this long to address the whole "we don't have NFL quality kicking" thing.

I don't think Novak is the final answer (unless he' gotten a LOT better since he left), but I do think he'd be better than Hall at this point.

Posted by: blarg | August 29, 2006 03:51 PM

RE Cult of Jesse - it seemed like there were positive reports on his size and speed coming out of camp and i was not sold on Nemo/Manual White/etc. Like Coach Gibbs says, finding an undrafted free agent that can make the squad is a good story (this year Jesse, Espy and Havner)

Posted by: TxSkin | August 29, 2006 03:54 PM

The coaches overhyped lumsden, just like they overhyped todd collins and taylor jacobs and ladell betts (who was so good they traded for duckett!).

People just buy in too easily. He did ntohing in the preseason and there's no way he'd be any higher than 6th on the depth chart. No big loss. His hardcore fans can watch him in the CFL.

Posted by: blarg | August 29, 2006 03:55 PM

J
Does Novak know of this blog of yours and the 'DC love'? What's is telenumber ... I'll call him too. If he gets a plane ticket today he could be at practice tomorrow ... oh, wait, are the Skins still allowing walk-ons? They should for the kicking game. Heck, I can punt a ball over 50 yards (tried it last night)... maybe I'll try as a walk-on.

Posted by: X.Hog | August 29, 2006 03:58 PM

Novak getting a haircut eh? Hmm maybe I should do that too.

but then again, i really don't have any hair, just a half shell on my back, maybe i'll wax the shell instead...

and people love him here because he kicked balls good for that local college team a few miles down the road from FedEx.

Posted by: Testudo | August 29, 2006 04:38 PM

Blarg has no idea what he is talking about. Nick Novak was great when he was with us last year. A) he had the winning extra point at the end of the cowboys game B) he had the winning field goal in OT in the Seattle game C) He hit a 55 yard field goal that sailed over the uprights with about 10 yards to spare (meaning it would've been good from 65 yards). Yes that kick was called back because of a penalty, but it did not go unnoticed (at least not by me).

Lastly, Nick Novak is going to be a pro bowl quality kicker in this league for years to come and I can only hope that he does it with the Skins. Lord knows, we haven't had a pro bowl quality kicker 'round here since Chip Lohmiller was in town.

Posted by: Terpskins | August 29, 2006 04:39 PM

Best news out of this entry is the implication that Jason is in this for the long run. Can we have a naming contest for it once training camps is over? How about "Redskins Outsider?"

Once more Jason I'd like to say thanks for doing this weblog in the first place. It's one of the little pleasures out of a job that pays me for forty hours and makes me work ten.

Posted by: Jim | August 29, 2006 04:41 PM

Jason,

How does the NFL waiver wire work? Is it similar to MLB with it being in order of worst to first? Are you limited to the number of claims put in?

Thanks

Posted by: sting | August 29, 2006 04:59 PM

I want that lil blonde bastard in burgandy and gold. John Hall isnt qualified to clean Novak's shoes.

Posted by: K Diamond | August 29, 2006 05:12 PM

Testudo - stick with the wax, bro. No need to get too close to any scissors.

Jim - Redskins Outsider - I luv it. I'm not sure I get to name it, in fact, I'd be shocked they'd let me do it for fear of what I would come up with. I believe it has already been dubbed "Redskins Insider," how very original? Oh well, what's in a name, anyway. We can't be labelled. Follow me to freedom. Get me Novak, ASAP. Is this thing on?

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 29, 2006 05:32 PM

Oh yeah, there was actually a serious question in there too. Waivers works similar to basebaell, in this care it's a 24-hour period, teams make claims, goes worst to first based on 2005 record.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 29, 2006 05:33 PM

yeah hello...novak is a stud...he was a super stud for 4 years at maryland and a stud for the skins last year in limited action...

he missed what...one clutch field goal in 4 years at maryland...but i think he got a second chance at that one and nailed it for the win...all those other clutch kicks...he is money...i couldnt believe they waved him last year and went back to the constantly injured hall...

and i just cant believe novak isnt kicking for anyone else...his resume is awesome...

can anyone spout out stats on this guy...records...kicking percentage in game winning kicks...wasnt he like just a few points away from the ncaa sall time coring record or something...

super stud and a local fav for at least the maryland side of the hizzle...and he is from Va...

kicker of the future in my book...the guy is a game winner!!!

Posted by: Seattle Skins Fan | August 29, 2006 06:15 PM