Weekly Awards

I thought I'd start another weekly feature today - to compliment the massively well received "Monday Morning/Afternoon H-Back" and go with a regular set of Skins awards. Maybe we'll do it every Friday or something - that is generally a light work day around Redskins Park - and I'll use about three or four categories a week.

As always, I am open to debate, like the Entourage blog, make your case for a different answer and I'll definitely consider it. Also, if you've got any suggestions for categories, I'll do my best to come up with an answer for you. So, let's get it started:

Best Wingman (in a bar): First of all, I'm going to stipulate that this would only stand if I was single (hello, Lauren, love you) and if the winner, B.Lloyd, was single, too, and not married with a newborn. So, with that out of the way, this cat could do damage in the club. Has the gift of gab. Very fashion forward. Smooth rapper. Ebullient personality. Okay, I'm going to stop there before anyone gets the wrong idea, but the dude could hold court with the best of them, I'm guessing.

Best Wingman (at a buffet): Randy Thomas. Pretty much the unquestioned glutton of the team. Renaldo Wynn might try to give him a run for his money at an all-you-can eat joint, but Randy also has mad skills on the BBQ, so could whip up a serious chicky wings himself.

Best Conversationalist in a Dive Bar: Joe Bugel. A couple of Iron City beers in some dingy joint in his hometown, Pittsburgh, and just let the man talk. War stories like you would not believe.

Best Tour Guide for Your Last Night on the Planet: Bro Sweets, bro. Clinton is out there. Definitely knows how to have a good time, and would know where the party's at, too. If you somehow get bored, he could change into six or seven personalities. And chicks dig Coach Janky Spanky. It's a known fact.

Worst Redskin to Tick Off: A tie. I would fear ever crossing Sean Taylor or Mike Sellers. No matter what happened. No matter the nature of the disagreement, just let it go. Neither is a bad guy, but I would not want them looking for me for anything.

By Jason La Canfora |  August 25, 2006; 12:00 PM ET
Previous: Brunell's Groin | Next: Monday Morning H-Back

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Re: Worst Redskin to tick off - Which one makes the best bodyguard in a baroom fight?

Posted by: PEF | August 25, 2006 02:05 PM

Already gotten the wrong idea. Does your wife know about you and B.Lloyd?

Back on topic, who's the best to go to a classic car show with?

Posted by: Jim | August 25, 2006 02:45 PM

Good column, but note to Jason (and his editor): it's "complement" not "compliment".

Posted by: Dan | August 25, 2006 02:54 PM

Worst wing man (bar): I'd have to go with Cooley. While he's good w/the cheerleaders that hairdo of his would scare all the nice ladies away - unless you like chicks who dig mullets.

Posted by: David | August 25, 2006 03:10 PM

Classic car show, hmm? I know Buges is into them, and I am sure some other dudes are too. I'll look into it.

Cooley could be the perfect wingman in the right situation. Depends on what your into, but he definitely draws plenty of attention.

Dan - I'm going to make a lot of typos in this thing. it's just going to happen. I;m getting this out in the middle of doing my job and trying to be timely with it and, with no editor having my back, I'm willing to live with it. Hope you guys are too.

If I slaved over this thing for grammar like a regular story, I would frankly drop the blog, 'casue there's only so much time in the day for this crazy beat, my wife, my daughter ... and the blog.
Peace
have a great wekeend.

Posted by: Jason L | August 25, 2006 03:48 PM

J
Great idea.

How about:
1. Best vocalization (screams) while bungie jumping
2. Best jump shooter
3. Best matchup vs. Shaq

X.Hog@hotmail.com

Posted by: X Hog | August 25, 2006 04:19 PM

Posted by: eric mohn | August 25, 2006 04:36 PM

somebody tell eric to lighten up. it's a BLOG. and a pretty good one at that. keep up the good work, J.

Posted by: DC Diva | August 25, 2006 04:58 PM

Cooley would be a bad wingman cuz he'd probably end up with the chick you're trying to talk to.. ;-)

Posted by: flash | August 25, 2006 05:22 PM

Yo Eric,

He might not have gone to college to write DRIVEL for God's sake. If you are going to criticize the intelligence level of the work, use the correct word that you think you are using.

Look, the paper and the 'net have got inches and inches of space to fill and the dude's got to write something!

And, yes, what Sellers and Cartwright think about Duckett coming to the 'Skins is damned important. They are key parts to this team, and their morale is important to the overall success of the 'Skins this year.

Posted by: John In Houston | August 25, 2006 07:16 PM

flash is so right. I wouldn't want Cooley anywhere near me in a bar.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 25, 2006 07:54 PM

If anyone can figure out what any of the following means, please let me know. I'm going to give this guy Eric a blog pass and figure he was drunk when he wrote this:

"canfora's a jerk...did you go to college to write DRIBBLE? for Gods sake man, who the hell cares about buffet gorging? What ever happened to 1 draft pick Ray MacDonald?I heard he was gay? Who cares what the other running backs think about Duckett's coming? NFL is a BUSINESS. If you need material, explain the salary cap and why the Redshins won't be paying huge sums to players long after they have retired? List all players around league hurt in preseason?"

Posted by: eric mohn | August 25, 2006 04:36 PM

Eric, my man, you sound like one on-the-ball dude. Other than reports of player's sexuality and injury status, what else do you look for in a blog? I shudder to think.
Sleep it off, man. Sleep it off.

Posted by: Jason L | August 25, 2006 08:51 PM

Jason-

UNA needs to meet Eric!!!

But for now Eric,stay outta of this blog!!!

GO SKINS...

Posted by: Pink C.C.@ the beach... | August 26, 2006 01:29 AM

Note how the number of letters in the signature "Jason L" fails to explicitly match the quantity of alphanumeric characters in "Jason La Canfora". Could mean nothing...but that little inconsistency in anonymous-commenting blogs does tend to raise paranoid suspicions of a possible poser.

Posted by: | August 26, 2006 02:11 AM

Jason L is me. Absolutely, positively. I'll make sure I always put my full name in there, I suppose. Was in a rush last night, so went with the abbreviation. Didn't mean to confure anyone.
Enjoy the game tonight.
Cheers.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | August 26, 2006 03:28 PM

What the hell is wrong with this team? I don't want to overreact, but they've shown no progress through three weeks. Any chance Brunell gets benched during the season? I don't think he can play anymore. I don't think he's even serviceable. Their preseason performances have been inexcusable. I don't care if they're throwing vanilla formations at other teams offensively and defensively, at least show people, most importantly the competition, that you can play. I have a sinking feeling about the Skins as we get closer to Week 1.

Posted by: Colin | August 26, 2006 10:09 PM