Warner, Obama in Bristol

Tim Craig

Former governor and U.S. Senate candidate Mark R. Warner just gave Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) a rousing endorsement during a town-hall meeting in Bristol in Southwest Virginia.

After being introduced by U.S. Rep. Rick Boucher (D-Va), Warner and Obama emerged on stage together, stopping frequently to shake hands with supporters lining the walkway. Warner then noted the similarities between his campaign strategy and the one Obama has apparently embraced in his effort to win Virginia this fall.

"You know seven years ago, I started my campaign (for governor) right here in Southwest Virginia and a month ago, I was a job applicant again, and I came back to Southwest Virginia to start that campaign for Senate," Warner said. "Today is the first official campaign kickoff of the Senator Obama presidential campaign, so I don't know about you, but I think it says a lot about somebody about where they choose to start their campaign. America is a pretty big place. There are 50 states....But our candidate, Barack Obama, chose right here in Bristol in Southwest Virginia."

Warner, who remains popular in Southwest Virginia, ended his speech on a personal note by urging residents in the Appalachian Mountain region to give Obama a chance to win their vote.

"Seven years ago, you all didn't know me that well," said Warner, who lives in Alexandria. "I asked you to take a chance on me...I am asking you something again today. I am asking you and all the people listening to take the time to get to know this man. This is a good man. This is a man of deep faith. This is a man who has spent his lifetime bringing people together."

By Tim Craig  |  June 5, 2008; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  Election 2008/President , Tim Craig
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Gail for Rail' Secures Spot on the Ballot
Next: Rep. Scott endorses Byrne; labor union backs Connolly

Comments

Amen, Governor Warner!

Posted by: AG | June 5, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Obama won Virginia by nearly 2-1. But Senator Jim Webb and other VA superdelegates sat on their hands until after it was over to support Obama.

These are crass politicians who are only considering their own interests and ignoring the will of the people who elected them.

While they sat, the loser in the primaries came out and stole the show from the winner. This has taken the focus off the Democratic candidate at a time when everything should have been focused like a laser beam on Obama.

The Virginia delegation let this happen and should be ashamed for their inaction.

Posted by: Thuff | June 5, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Obama-Warner '08

Posted by: JP | June 5, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Now Obama-Warner would be the true dream ticket

Posted by: ktodack | June 5, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Right on Thuff!

Posted by: Falls Church | June 5, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

What about Obama - Webb '08

No shortage on foreign policy or defense there.

Posted by: hatchlaw | June 5, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

with the last poster. Webb and others needed to show they are people of conviction and principle long before this. I would not have Webb or Warner on the Obama ticket. They don't deserve him.

Posted by: I agree | June 5, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Look, both Clinton and Obama campaigned for Webb. He's a junior Senator. He was respectful of both and of the democratic process and the voters. I would have gone all out for Obama, if I were Webb, the day Obama announced. Obama is that good. But I respect his decision to make a different choice.

Also you'd have to be about as dumb as a post not to recognize he's been leaning Obama, in public, almost as blatantly as his fellow "uncommitteds" Jimmy Carter and Congressman Clyburn!

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | June 5, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, had to post a second thought, I don't mean to be jamming up the board here.

If Democrats are going to win in November, here is the correct and genuine pose to strike when you greet ANYBODY coming from the ranks of the uncommitted or from anywhere else: big smile, big hug, no looks back, so very glad to have you on board. Webb of all people was obviously signalling he was coming Obama's way anyway, so don't pick on him. But my comment is more general and goes way beyond an uncommitted superdelegate.

Read the story about "party discipline" on Huffington Post if you do not understand the power of the many is greater than the power of the ideologically pure and few. The primary is over. Get amnesia and while you're at it, look up the music and lyrics to Kumbaya. We're all Obama supporters now, or should be, and length of that status cannot be a factor.

I say this as somebody's who's been volunteering and donating for Obama since February. An avid Hillary supporter who supports Obama today is my long-lost sister or brother as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | June 5, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Some harse words on this blog already. If anyone listened to barack in northern Virginia, he/she would understand why Virginia figures so much into Barack's strategy. Gov. Kaine was onboard with Barack as one of his earliest supporters. Cut Jim Webb some slack.

Posted by: Earl C | June 5, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Obama-Kaine '08 sounds better. The Dems need Warner and Webb in the Senate. Go easy, keep it light and dream of VA going Blue in November to erase the miserable legacy of Red State voting for the past 40 years.

Posted by: Garrichie | June 5, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with Fairfax Voter on this one, Democrats must come together now and support Barack Obama no matter who they originally voted for. United we stand.
And there are real problems with Obama having Warner as a running mate:
1) Warner is awesome and could carry Virginia for Obama. But his only political experience is being governor for one term, albeit a great governor.
2) Democrats need him to win that Senate seat. There is no other Democrat running and if he becomes Obama's VP, then the seat goes to a Republican.

Webb has even more problems:
1) He barely won Virginia in his Senate race and it was really only because of Allen's "macaca" remark.
2) He has a horrible track record with women.
3) He only became a Democrat recently and has gone on record defending the Vietnam War.

And Kaine:
1) Has very little experience.
2) Is extremely pro-life.

These are great Democrats and politicians but I don't see any of them except for possibly Warner as VP material for Obama. I think it is better to campaign with them.

Posted by: Rod | June 5, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Thuff - lighten up. The remaining undecideds chose to respect the right of the people to vote. We in Virginia went relatively early and Obama won the state. Why render the final few states irrelevant?

Incidentally, if Webb were a crass, calculating politician, he could have easily come out for Obama and angled for a Veep slot. He handled everything with class and did his job for Virginia and the nation. Remember that GI bill? Much more important than a photo-op.

BB

Posted by: Fairlington Blade | June 5, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

white folks who won't vote obama are racist! Just like the inventer of the peanut said, george washington carver, black man will not be free until he gets in the white house.

Posted by: Lakisha | June 5, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but the hillbillies of Bristol are not going to vote for Obama.

Posted by: Shawanda | June 5, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

It's three o'clock in the morning and the telephone rings.

The spokesperson for the Republican National Committee, sleepless, is on the other line, begging for talking points in the face of the coming Democratic tsunami.

It's no dream. ...

It's Obama-Webb, '08!

Posted by: martin edwin andersen | June 5, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Dear Lord, is this fake lakisha poster going to post the same da**ed thing every single day until the Election?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Obama-Hagel?!

Obama-Webb!!

Posted by: de | June 5, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Given everything Obama's campaign calls us to rise above or to reconcile about our past, I think Virginians can certainly afford to take the gifted public servants who welcomed him today at their word. The good news is that Virginia is energized by 3 fine leaders, to support this historic candidacy, and I don't know any of us who can afford to part with any of them now.

Posted by: Carter Nicholas, Charlottesville | June 5, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

VIRGINIA WILL STAY RED AS LONG AS BLUE STILL BELIEVE IN THEIR LIBERAL WAYS!!!!

Posted by: RED | June 6, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Mark Warner (the moderate) can pick up the Independents and Reagan Democrats.
Obama/Warner - The right combination - Like winning the lottery.

Posted by: Mary Lou | June 6, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I am a resident of the 9th district of Southwest Virginia and the only way I will vote for Obama is if Hillary is on the ticket. I am one of those 18,000,000 who voted for her!! I will continue to stand with her! Obama will never win without her support. Just wait until November and see.

Posted by: Annedia Sturgill | June 6, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I love how the Senator said, "This is a man of deep faith. This is a man who has spent his lifetime bringing people together."

What "Deep Faith" in what, making money somewhat illegally? Or a faith in people that bomb innocent Americans? And as for spending his life time bringing people together, in my neighborhood all it has done is rip people apart, not to mention, what life time, he is barely middle aged and has only being a politician for 6 years, who the heck is he talking about??? Not the Obama I have been researching and "getting to know" I am sure he is a decent human being, but he is nothing more than a POLITICIAN and he straight out lies to the general public, now that Hillary is out of the way, I hope we all can focus on this dude's background, cause it is so scary that someone like this may be president!

Posted by: Rocky12272 | June 6, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Annedia,

Have you been paying attention? Hillary has already said she's supporting Obama, and that although she would be open to being VP, her support of Obama is NOT conditional on her being offered the position, and she urges her supporters and surrogates to let Obama make that decision on his own because it is his to make.

I once wanted Hillary as VP, now I don't think it would be Obama's best choice. Had Hillary won, I would have respected her choice to make and not demanded Obama be her VP.

Let them work it out, and realize that if you're a Democrat or even if you just want this country to change course, you need to support Barack Obama for President regardless of who he picks.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that whatever Barack decides to do about health care, that he will make sure that Hillary is front-and-center in that effort.

Go DEMOCRATS!!

Posted by: Doug in Mount Vernon | June 6, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh Rocky, would you be so kind as to share this "research" with us? Of course Obama is a politician---but he sure as hell isn't like many other politicians I've ever known, and that's a good thing!

I have to laugh at some of these comments. Are Republicans really still in denial that Virginia is in-play in 2008? I sure hope so! We've only become more blue since the Webb election shocker, and Virginians want, more than anything else, competent good government. It's pretty freakin' crystal-clear at this point that they're NOT getting it from the Republicans.

Hence, they're going to keep voting increasingly Democratic.

Posted by: Doug in Mount Vernon | June 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Virginians love higher taxes, more regulation, and less freedom. Keep up the good work Doug.

Posted by: Dan | June 7, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse