Find Post Investigations On:
Facebook Scribd Twitter
Friendfeed RSS Google Reader
» About This Blog | Meet the Investigative Team | Subscribe
Ongoing Investigation

Top Secret America

The Post explores the top secret world the government created in response to the attacks of Sept. 11.

Ongoing Investigation

The Hidden Life of Guns

How guns move through American society, from store counter to crime scene.

Have a Tip?

Talk to Us

If you have solid tips, news or documents on potential ethical violations or abuses of power, we want to know. Send us your suggestions.
• E-mail Us

Categories

Post Investigations
In-depth investigative news
and multimedia from The Washington Post.
• Special Reports
• The Blog

Reporters' Notebook
An insider's guide to investigative news: reporters offer insights on their stories.

The Daily Read
A daily look at investigative news of note across the Web.

Top Picks
A weekly review of the best
in-depth and investigative reports from across the nation.

Hot Documents
Court filings, letters, audits and other documents of interest.

D.C. Region
Post coverage of investigative news in Maryland, Virginia and the District.

Washington Watchdogs
A periodic look into official government investigations.

Help! What Is RSS?
Find out how to follow Post Investigations in your favorite RSS reader.

Hot Comments

Unfortunately I believe that we are limited in what we can focus on. I think that if we proceed with the partisan sideshow of prosecuting Bush admin. officials, healthcare will get lost in the brouhaha.
— Posted by denamom, Obama's Quandary...

Recent Posts
Bob Woodward

The Washington Post's permanent investigative unit was set up in 1982 under Bob Woodward.

Archives
See what you missed, find what you're looking for.
Blog Archive »
Investigations Archive »

Have a Tip?
Send us information on ethics violations or abuses of power.
E-Mail Us »

Other
Investigations
Notable investigative projects from other news outlets.
On the Web »
Top Picks »

Paul's Campaign A Family Affair

POSTED: 03:43 PM ET, 05/27/2008 by Derek Kravitz

Ron Paul's presidential campaign is truly a family affair. Over the past few months, Paul's campaign has put the Texas congressman's relatives in a number of key positions, paying them nearly $170,000, according to the latest campaign finance reports, The Post's Matthew Mosk reports today.

Among the family members raking in Paul's campaign cash:

-- Paul's 22-year-old granddaughter, Valori Pyeatt, who helps organize fundraising receptions: $17,157. (Pyeatt is now engaged to one of Paul's staffers and spokespeople, 30-year-old Jesse Benton, making him part of the family, too.)

-- Another granddaughter, Laura Paul, who handles orders for Ron Paul merchandise: $2,724.

-- His oldest grandson, 27-year-old Matthew Pyeatt of Lake Jackson, Texas, who manages Paul's MySpace profile: $3,251. Check out Matt's MySpace profile here.

(It's worth noting that Ron Paul has 18 grandchildren. It's unclear how many are working for his campaign.)

-- Daughter Peggy Paul, who helps with campaign logistics: $2,224.

-- Sons Randall, a Bowling Green, Ky., eye doctor; Robert, a Fort Worth, Texas, family practitioner; and his daughter Joy Paul LeBlanc, a Houston obstetrician and gynecologist, who organize campaign travel and appear as surrogates at political events.

Campaign aides told The Post they discussed the possibility that involving so many family members could create the impression that nepotism was driving hiring decisions, but ultimately they saw no problem with the practice.

By Derek Kravitz |  May 27, 2008; 3:43 PM ET
Previous: Rove Subpoenaed in Continuing House Probe | Next: Watchdogs: The Coast Guard's Accidents Investigations, or Lack Thereof

Comments

From the #'s you have, they's make more if they worked elsewhere. So lets focus our investigations where the real problems are :)

Posted by: jasper | May 27, 2008 6:34 PM

Are you serious??? He's paid them that much in a year!!! OMG That's probably less than minimum wage! We should call the BBB! Here's a juicier question, how much are the Three Stooge's (Obama, Clinton, McCain, all CFR) paying their family members? Get a real job buddy!

Posted by: PM | May 27, 2008 7:32 PM

This is too funny. Is this supposed to be NEWS?

HEADLINE: Presidential Candidate Ron Paul follows the letter of the law in his squeaky clean campaign, and his personal finances are solvent as well, despite sending 3 children to medical school with no student loans and giving free birthing services to MINORITY monthers.

Posted by: JaneAitken | May 27, 2008 7:50 PM

And this posted in a section called "Washington Post Investigations" oooooooooooooooooooooh scary!!!!!

Little Valori Pyieatt - a threat to the republic!

Here are your real threats:

The Clinton's never held a job of their own and now rake in billions from speaking tours and Hillary's campaign is in debt, Obama's wife gets a $150K/yr salary from the communists over at the CFR who control her puppet husband, and McCain's wealthy wife benefitted by his sneaky dealings in his home state more than once.

All these three are financed by Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and the Rockefellers.

And this stuff about what RP pays his workers that he can trust is called 'NEWS'?????????

Posted by: JaneAitken | May 27, 2008 7:57 PM

Add's up to a GRAND TOTAL OF LESS THEN ONE-HALF OF A PERCENT of their campaign money spent.

Why all the set up without giving the punch-line of the joke?

More scumbag yellow-journalism. The enemies of America are our "free presss". Free to print any propaganda they choose.

Posted by: Trash Journalism | May 27, 2008 8:18 PM

WOW! You really cracked that case!

I expected to see Woodward and Bernstein's name at the end with this fantastic piece of investigative journalism.

Now tell us how much it would cost to get those exact same services outside of the family. SUBSTANTIALLY MORE?

What they probably discussed is how fake journalists pushing thier corporate boss's agenda will twist a good thing into something they will use in an attack piece.

Of course even the worst journalists would have even a tiny miniscule shread of integrety to do something as low and dispicable as that. At least that's what they thought.

You showed them Derek Kravitz!

Posted by: I.P. Daily | May 27, 2008 8:44 PM

Stupid article.

Posted by: ellen | May 27, 2008 8:45 PM

ron paul lost the election bigtime. got his ass kicked so hard. and yet he took all your money, and laughed all the way to the bank.

all you have are slurs and insults on the winners. that's because YOU BACKED A LOSER with your stupid ass guy fawkes day silliness and a candidate who just did what libertarians do best - look out for #1 and SCREW YOU!

And I love the Lib Party's new "candidate" - a right wing Republican who lies and cheats and never stood up for "libertarian" ideals in congress. But you love him and will give him your money.

Mindless lemmings, running off the cliff, I would pity you if I cared, but I do not. you are just a pack of jerks online with no lives!

Posted by: ronpaul-lost | May 27, 2008 8:50 PM

This is journalism?

Posted by: Phil | May 27, 2008 10:27 PM

Send in the clowns. This is bizarro. Less than 1/2 of 1% went to Paul family members and this is making the blog rounds? If I was in his family I'd be mad I didn't get paid more. I bet it works out to about 6 bucks an hour. Oh - and while you are doing an in-depth piece, how about a little comp analysis of Paul's fam vs other campaign workers? I bet that is a bridge to nowhere...monkeys...

Posted by: TC | May 27, 2008 10:34 PM

You guys are not much more than a parasitic has been of a news organization. I am not disappointed as much as I am ashamed of your obvious cynical bent on issues. Pathetic work of low life's and nothing more. Journalism work not worthy of a junior high school paper.

Posted by: Michael McDonnough | May 27, 2008 11:23 PM

That does it! I'm no longer supporting Ron Paul. His spokesperson was only in it to win Valorie's affection. What a farce.

I'll be supporting Hillary from here on out. Thank you for this illuminating article. And to think I was almost duped by his grandfatherly appearance. He's nothing but a scoundrel.

Posted by: yorktown | May 28, 2008 12:31 AM

LOL, that article shows just how squeeky clean Ron Paul must be, if this is the best dirt the washington post can dig up. Why would he pay four or five times as much to have a professional campain organizer do a job. Thank you mr. Paul for spending my donation wisely, unlike the rest of our government officials.

Posted by: Brent | May 28, 2008 1:35 AM

And all this time the MSM has been telling us that only illegal immigrants would work for such low wages. Hmmm. We need that guy in the White House!

Posted by: Kate | May 28, 2008 3:11 AM

Posted by: Kate | May 28, 2008 3:13 AM

Can we please have an end to the bashing that relates to nothing in the article. Please focus on relating to the article than spamming your political views on "who is going to win". Stop it and think about reading other people's comments before spamming your random nonsense.

Posted by: The Concerned | May 28, 2008 4:25 AM

I don't get it. This information was in the campaign finance reports? So, reading and copying is now all it takes to be considered investigative? How much does this reporter get paid for this nonsense?

Posted by: Steve | May 28, 2008 6:19 AM

It is highly unusual for the Washington Post to give Ron Paul any substantial coverage. It is also puzzling that the reporter does not appear to know the meaning of the word "isolationist". Are not Post reporters generally well-educated?

As to the substance of the article: paying family members a little to do a lot in a campaign is not only legal, but a smart use of donations. Ron Paul is thrifty. We could use a lot more of that attitude in Washington.

I challenge the Washington Post to get serious--cover and debate the important ideas outlined in Ron Paul's NY Times #1 Bestseller: "The Revolution: A Manifesto."

Enlarge the discussion; please do not shrink it!

Posted by: ellen | May 28, 2008 6:36 AM

How much is News Corp making on buying Dow Jones (Wall Street Journal, Barron's) or the duel media TV for Fox? McCain FCC? How many billions in leg-islation from Isman lobbying? Madeline Allbright (Condi Rice clone) 500m hedge fund? Daddy Bush, Baker, Carlyle, Romney Bain, Snow Quayle Cerberus. Chelsie hedge fund money? Talk about trying to spin family values! What point are you trying to make? Jessee Jackson, McCain's wife millions in Bud distributors (though corrupt ATF rules). Paul should be proud of his grandchildren because they are not doing it for the money.. I'm buying a thousand more books so those kids can get more money later.

Posted by: highwaytoserfdom | May 28, 2008 6:47 AM

This report shows just how Paul is the most ethical man politics yet it's worded like a scandal.

Write in Ron Paul.

Posted by: Goodin | May 28, 2008 8:05 AM

dear ron paul-lost,

if ron paul does not become president, america loses. i pray that you and everyone that thinks this is a horserace wakes up soon. my best to you and yours and oh, BTW those supporters of paul believe in your freedoms and those of your friends and family. can you say that about supporters of obama who just want "free health care" that will send them into bankruptcy or how about mccain supporters who like him cause he is a maveric-a maverick of what? handing america to whomever bids the highest and what about hillary- her supporters like her because why? i just don't get it.
ron paul or communism. you decide!

Posted by: freespeech | May 28, 2008 8:34 AM

I'd rather give my money to this family any time,instead giving it to a campaign full of lobbyists and criminals. At least this family has an honest man as its head.

Try a little harder(you could probably find a curse word Dr. Paul said when he was 14,that will probably make noise)

Posted by: Georges | May 28, 2008 8:37 AM

...and cue the death of the discipline journalism -- once respectible, now laughable. Bob Woodward must be proud.

Posted by: cgm | May 28, 2008 9:03 AM

It must be another slow political news day at the WP (as usual)... I spent more on my knee and back surgeries than Paul spent on paying half his family to help run the campaign. Considering the huge public service Paul has provided by re-introducing America's Constitutional heritage, it seems to me that Paul's investment in the services provided by his trusted family is easily worth ten times that much... in fact, it's priceless.

Posted by: Mo | May 28, 2008 9:36 AM

Once again the MSM has pushed me one step further into believing that some very powerful people are desperate to discredit Senator Paul. This piece would be too funny if it was not so sad.

Posted by: Jay | May 28, 2008 9:46 AM

If there were any proportionality in the way you cover news (Paul, remember, was mentioned in only a handful of major media outlets vs. thousands~tens of thousands for other candidates before Super Tuesday and continues to be ignored now), there is no plausible reason whatsoever for why this sort of analysis should come out now, just before the important state convention in Minnesota where the GOP nominee will be elected in September. It would be nice to know the true motivation. I wonder if some kind of order came from Tom Foley of the Trilateral Commission, recently charged with silencing Paul's political education rallies?

Posted by: cbm | May 28, 2008 10:31 AM

You suck balls.

Posted by: AquarianPublius | May 28, 2008 10:40 AM

OMG! Are you serious with this "investigative" piece? I'm so glad I read this and found out what kind of man Ron Paul really is.....I better go vote for one of the three yahoo's the MSM is shoving up everyone's ASS. Thanks for making me see the error of my ways!
Pa-lease.

Posted by: RONPAULYALL | May 28, 2008 10:41 AM

...this dog is barking up the wrong tree..but we already knew that.

Posted by: DK | May 28, 2008 2:20 PM

Dear WP,
Thanks so much for the funny investigation that created all these funny posts.
Seriously, I was very surprised to read an article so sickly weak as this one - in ANY paper.
Pathetic. Why hate Liberty? Why ya wanna be like that? Egotism is all it is - scared to seem any less important than you think you are. Get well soon!

Posted by: Love Freedom | May 28, 2008 3:55 PM

Rand Paul, Ron's son, has refuted several points in this story. He has paid for nearly all of his travel. The campaign has paid for his travel twice, two coach plane tickets to Montana. Do you think John McCain, Hillary or Obama send their family when they campaign through coach?

I expect to see corrections and a story about RP's #1 book,Revolution:A Manifesto.

Posted by: The doctor cured my apathy | May 28, 2008 4:13 PM

I guess Glenn Greenwald is right. All serious news media cares nowadays is to increase the number of visits to their websites. Easy as 1-2-3. Write a Paul-bashing article!

Posted by: cbm | May 28, 2008 8:37 PM

This article is utter trash. I wont even go on and explain why, the stench is appalling.

Posted by: Andrew | May 28, 2008 8:38 PM

Washington Post Slander

The Washington Post recently reports that I was paid to be a surrogate speaker for my father, Ron Paul. This is an outright lie.

I was never paid to speak for my father. In fact, the vast majority of the time, I was not even reiumbursed for expenses. I travelled to St. Louis, Paducah, Elizabethtown, South Carolina, Nashville, Louisville, Washington, DC, and New Hampshire (four times) at my expense. I paid to transport my entire family to New Hampshire to go door-to-door for my father.

I never received any salary from the campaign. The campaign paid my air fare (coach) to Montana for two speeches.

They say we should take solace in the fact that Ron Paul is still important enough to attack but I'm still too mad to be mollified.

Rand Paul

Posted by: Rand Paul | May 28, 2008 9:14 PM

Washington Post Slander

Rand Paul

Posted by: Rand Paul | May 28, 2008 9:14 PM

Mattew Mosk should you care to read the postings about your article this one is for you!

·so·la·tion·ism (ī'sə-lā'shə-nĭz'əm)
n. A national policy of abstaining from political or economic relations with other countries.

Ron Paul is not advocating an isolationist policy so when you "report" do yourself a favor and be truthful and correct, try to keep your ill advised personal opinions out of what is supposed to be an objective newspaper. I am a subscriber to the print edition of the Washington Post as well as several other large papers, I am truly disgusted by the weak abilities exerted by you and your employers with respect to keeping it objective.

Now with respect to the isolationism that you refer to, where do you derive your opinion that Ron Paul is an isolationist.
Ron Paul wants to work with all countries to better life for everyone, just not in the payoff the United Nations and blow up Iraq real quick kind of sense. Ron Paul advocates a NON-INTERVENTIONIST foreign policy which is a far cry from isolationist policy.
Ron Paul understands where our current policy is taking us, down that proverbial slippery slope of usurped sovereignty and essential slavery to massive debt incurred in the name of "spreading democracy", a CRIME both democrats and republicans are equally responsible for.
People do not understand why people who support Ron Paul get so angry about the blatant slander and ill advised references, I see them as Americans who have yet to remove their blinders long enough to see what is going on around them.

Our country cannot sustain the policies of the Bush Administration. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton both advocate socialist policies which further degradate the freedom of every individual, the freedom I am fighting for. America is a democratic Republic, not a democracy and you have to understand the reasoning behind the ideals of being a republic in order to understand what the other options mean for every individuals ability to make choices for themselves within a governmental system.

Posted by: complacencykills | May 29, 2008 12:36 AM

Wow!!!! This is a hard hitting investigation.

I too am an investigative journalist. Some things I have uncovered.

The White House is in Washington DC

The Pope is Catholic

Bill Clinton diddled with an intern

Posted by: Jim | May 29, 2008 2:34 AM

This article is going to have the opposite affect than the author intended.

Posted by: Indiana liberty | May 29, 2008 10:43 AM

A follow-up article detailing all the other presidential candidates' employees and how much they've earned MIGHT redeem the pure idiocy and downright shameful attempt at badmouthing Dr. Paul as a family man in this one.

That is, of course, if the other candidates even disclose that kind of information, so some real investigative reporting may be required.

Good luck.

Posted by: Ed | May 29, 2008 10:43 AM

Ron Paul is helping to spread the message of why the U.S. Constitution should be respected and followed. Washington Post is helping spread the message of just how low the media is willing to go to suppress that message. Excellent example WP, thank you.

Posted by: Doug | May 29, 2008 11:44 AM

When I read the article, I thought it was meant to be satire or sarcasm and laughed at the numbers you presented as "family members raking in Paul's campaign cash". After reading the comments, I realized you are serious.
Thank you for giving Dr. Paul a chance to shine as a prudent and responsible campaign finance manager.
And congratulations to Valori Pyeatt and Jesse Benton on the engagement.

Posted by: Ron | May 29, 2008 11:47 AM

i am grateful that he has a family willing to work for him, and i am even more grateful that his family is willing to accept such negligible compensation. what could it have possibly come to? 4 dollars an hour even?

this is not the first time yellow journalism has tried to attack ron paul for employing his family.

i actually think this shows incredible loyalty to those donating to his campaign. If he had hired people outside his family, he would have spent more money on salaries and less on getting his message out.

so, if any other yellow journalists want to attack him, just remember that this paul supporter greatly appreciates the integrity of a man who saves his contributors so much money.

Posted by: ronrules | May 29, 2008 3:50 PM

If there was ever a non-story, this is it. So he's paying some family members peanuts to help in his campaign. Who cares?

Give some time to the financial shenanigans going on in the campaigns of the others, who are wholly owned by special interest donors.

Posted by: Pam | May 29, 2008 4:15 PM

And according to Rand Paul this article contains libelous information, stating that Rand was paid for things when he was not.

I say we should urge the campaign to spend some of that leftover $5M money to sue and teach these washed up CFR newspapers a lesson eh?

OH wait I forgot - the NYT was caught TWICE making up the the news and nothing happened to them...

Posted by: Me | May 30, 2008 2:28 AM

Freedom of the press belongs to he who owns one. Thank you for your negative news on a very positive campaign of Ron Paul.
Once people realize John McCain has heard the same pastor Bush has and his Antichrist
leanings toward spending our treasure and blood for the defense of Antichrist system of government Bush has plus Iran they may appreciate the chance to select Ron Paul to
lead this nation as the constitution demands with congressional approval

Posted by: RonMoss | May 30, 2008 11:52 AM

The Federal Reserve is part of the problem not the solution!

Sign and forward the Ron Paul Is Right: Abolish the Federal Reserve Petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/fed/petition.html to all your pro-freedom friends and associates. The collapsing dollar, falling housing market, the subprime mortgage and growing credit crisis and stock market weakness are all a result of earlier Federal Reserve actions designed to maximize Wall Street and banking profits at the expense of productive, working Americans.

Ron Holland, The Swiss Confederation Institute, Wolf Laurel, NC