City Guide Adds Send-to-Phone Feature

Last week, the City Guide added a new feature to its location profile pages. Users are now able to send City Guide location information to their cell phones.

If you're heading out to dinner, for example, you can click Send to Phone from a restaurant review page and send yourself a text message with details about the restaurant: its name, address, phone and the nearest Metro if available. This way, if you know you are going to a particular neighborhood, you can send information about the area's restaurants, stores, galleries and bars to your phone to access later.

Like the City Guide to Go tool, our downloadable listings of top bars and restaurants, it's another way to have City Guide information at hand when you're going out.

Anne Kenderdine
City Guide Editor, washingtonpost.com

By Washingtonpost.com Editors |  March 21, 2006; 11:19 AM ET  | Category:  Misc.
Previous: Business Section: Expanded Stock Market Features | Next: New Blog: Red America

Comments

Excellent idea!

I wish there was an option to send comments to Deborah Howell's cell phone since she's so obviously ignoring the comments posted on the blog.

Posted by: Philip | March 21, 2006 01:07 PM

You want to get the comments shut down again?! Ixnay on the ovey-lay owell-hay references.

Now, if you want to post smack about DC Mayoral candidates sexual preferences, race, etc...head on over to DC Wire.

Brady only really applies posting ethics when it comes to insulting Post staffers.

Oh, and don't you dare ask what Wing-nut Ben is supposed to be "balancing" in the new "Red America" blog. Nor should you ask why he gets to not have published comments. Nor should anyone dare note that Froomkin gets a large warning label saying "OPINION:" in front of his well researched and factually supported articles, but Ben the pure bloviator apparently doesn't need a warning label.

Ah, the Post, even if you do get it, you still won't get it.

Posted by: Hey Now! | March 21, 2006 01:28 PM

I think it's great that washingtonpost.com has hired a right-wing blogger. When should we expect the liberal blogger to start?

Posted by: Beau | March 21, 2006 01:37 PM

I want to hear more from the Post on what the point of "Red America" is. I swear to God, for just a moment, my reaction was -- I can't believe there's a blog for communists at the Washington Post. Is there going to be a "Blue America"? What about an "Apolitical America", or a "Nonpartisan America"? How about an "Indifferent America", or a "Why Is All News Now Calibrated to Fit Our Political Ideology America"?

I'm only bringing it up here because we can't leave comments there. Is there a reason for that?

Posted by: Nate | March 21, 2006 01:41 PM

Where is it you can't leave comments? I don't even see this kipplehead's supposed WashyPosty blog on the site. Is it here?

Posted by: taniwha | March 21, 2006 01:57 PM

Posted by: Nate | March 21, 2006 02:01 PM

Well then. There's no point in the Post even having that hatemongering up as a blog, if there's not comments allowed.

Disallowing comments shows fear of criticism. That's a kind of cowardice.

Posted by: Taniwha | March 21, 2006 02:13 PM

Also, I notice that RedMurrkuh's blog says:

"Red America's citizens are the political majority. They're here to stay. It's time to start paying attention to what they believe and why."

Yet, a minority of American population voted for the RedMurrkuh's dear leader.

Only by jerryrigging votecount did his Dear Leader even get in.

The post's allowing that tripe on their blogline is a disgrace.

Go figure, the claims that they're just mouthpieces for the extremist right were true after all.

Posted by: Taniwha | March 21, 2006 02:16 PM

Every day I tell myself, "Despite its problems, the Washington Post is one of the few remaining outstanding journalistic enterprises with many professional and dogged reporters." And every day, something like "Red America" happens to make it harder to say this to myself.

With "Red America", you are paying someone to consistenly present a particular political point of view. Whether I agree with that view or not, whether I think the presentation is good or bad or indifferent, whether I think what he says is true or spin, you are paying someone explicitly for their political views. You have crossed the line. I'm sorry.

I follow news. Passionately. In grad school (yes, did you know, some people in the "blogosphere" have degrees and can dress themselves!), every Sunday morning was newspaper day. I can name a half-dozen reporters at your paper and the New York Times who have never been called before a grand jury. And you are losing readers like me.

Posted by: Andrew Foland | March 21, 2006 03:11 PM

When Froomkin, who heavily sources his work and doesn't go into full bloviator mode is hired, Lovey Howell and the staff have a cow. The publish whiny screeds.

So what do they do?

Hire a full bore bloviator who can't back up his work with facts, and give him day long main page links.

Gotta love the Post. Though I do think we get it...you just don't give damn.

Posted by: Yep, good point | March 21, 2006 03:41 PM

yes, the new redamerica blog is lame. you know what else is lame? the city guide. particularly its inflexibility. Let's say I wanted the address or phone number for a restaurant in DC. Do you think I can simply type the restaurant's name in the city guide's keyword box and hit enter? Nope. I also have to fill out not only the city, state, zip but also the desired proximity. Or I could just google it. The Post... why bother?

Posted by: tegwar | March 22, 2006 09:22 AM

tegwar, I just tried entering in "benjarong" in the City Guide search box without specifying a neighborhood or proximity, and it brought up the listing for my favorite Thai restaurant in Rockville. Are you getting an error when you do the same? If so, please send it along to itsbroken@washingtonpost.com, because that shouldn't be happening.

Posted by: erik | March 22, 2006 08:43 PM

Anne,

Will I be able to download the reviews of the favorite bars and restaurant of noted bigot and plagiarist Ben Domenech?

Posted by: laughing | March 23, 2006 06:49 PM