Gilbert Arenas: "I'm Not Quirky."

I had no idea what I was stepping into when I walked into the Wizards locker room before their victory against the Charlotte Bobcats yesterday. Gilbert Arenas had something he needed to get off of his chest: He is getting sick and tired of being labeled, "quirky" and he wanted to talk to me about it - with every player in the locker room serving as the audience.

Wizards reserve Calvin Booth was sitting in a chair playing video poker on his computer when Arenas looked at me and said, "See, that's the same game I played. But when I do it I'm weird. Calvin's normal. I'm just weird. Quirky."

For a bit of a refresher, Arenas admitted last year that he played video poker during halftime at home games - a revelation that would've raised eyebrows with many, but was marked off as more "Gilbertology" for him.

"What is quirky?" Arenas asked me, seeking a definition. "Why do people always call me quirky?"

I told Gilbert that "quirky" is a nice way of saying he's special; that people call him quirky because, well, "you're a little different."

"What are you talking about?" Arenas said. "I'm not different!"

Brendan Haywood, sitting about 10 feet away, quickly lifted his head and said, "You are different, Gilbert."

"No I'm not. What makes me different?" he asked.

I tried to come up with all the reasons that I have labeled him quirky and eccentric in my time covering him. Arenas is often painted as a bit of a goofball by those of us in media. I know that I've helped contribute to the quirky label - but so has he. C'mon, Sports Illustrated dubbed him the 'Wizard of Odd' with good reason. I'm embarassed to admit that I never thought that I'd need to prepare myself to have a discussion with Arenas about what makes him weird. I figured some things are universally understood. Sky is to blue as Gilbert Arenas is to quirky.

Needless to say, since I wasn't ready, I didn't have all of my "Gilbertology" material readily available in my mental Rolodex (do Rolodexes still exist?) - such as the jersey tossing, the obsessive late-night workouts, the strange superstitions, the time he got ejected from a game when he was on the injured list or even his recent revelation in Esquire magazine that he sleeps on a COUCH in his bedroom instead of the bed. Even then, we're just scratching the surface with Arenas.

The first thing that came to mind was how he used to train his pit bulls on a treadmill during his time with the Golden State Warriors. I said, "Most people don't do that."

Arenas argued back. "What? My dogs needed exercise. Otherwise, they'd be in a bad mood."

Haywood began to laugh. I shook my head and began to laugh, too, until Wizards reserve James Lang entered the discussion and said, "I put my dog on the treadmill. I've got a pit bull."

"See!" Arenas said. "That's what I'm talking about. I'm not weird. I'm advanced."

"I think you're weird, Gilbert," guard DeShawn Stevenson said while getting dressed.

I told Gilbert we're all a little quirky in our own way, "But nobody wakes up, looks at themselves in the mirror and says, 'You know what? I'm a wierdo.' " The locker room was filled with laughter.

Then I mentioned how when he was in Golden State, he once broke into Chris Mills's house, stole his throwback jersey, then wore it on the team plane to upset him. "That's not weird. That's just funny," Arenas said, laughing to himself.

"No," Haywood said. "That's break-in and entry. And don't play with me like that."

Then I reminded him about having the oxygen level in his house converted to the Colorado altitude and how he planned on taking an oxygen tent with him on the road this season. "That's a little weird, Gilbert," I said.

"No, it's not!" Arenas said. "That's being smart."

Arenas then told me that "at least 14 players" have contacted him about having the same simulated conditions in their home. He mentioned Richard Jefferson, Kwame Brown and "the whole Chicago Bulls team" wanted to know how to get that in their homes. "People want to make me out to be Michael Jackson or somebody. I'm not Michael Jackson," Arenas said, adding some unsavory comments about Jackson that will never see the light of day in this blog.

I told him that when you want to buy the Elephant Man's bones you've reached that NEXT level of strange. "You haven't gone that far," I told him.

"Okay, I'll give you one," Gilbert said. "The shower."

For those who may not recall: Another one of Arenas's more bizarre antics (to me at least) was during his second year with Golden State when he was upset about his team's performance and took a shower at halftime of a game against San Antonio - and played soaking wet in the second half. None of his teammates came to his defense on that one. Arenas just said he was fired up and being emotional, that it was all because he's a competitor.

I told him that most competitiors don't break stuff in the locker room. Arenas then got defensive about how players get certain reputations in the league. He takes exception the labels that players around the league receive. He asked how certain players are called hotheads for being emotional when they lose, but others are called passionate and fiery - for doing the same things - if they win. I told him that winning is air freshener for you flaws in this league.

"That's not right," Arenas said. "My first few years in the league, I was called a 'hothead.' Now
that I'm winning, I'm 'quirky.' I don't get it."

"You're not quirky, Gilbert," Antawn Jamison said, coming in on the tail end of the conversation.
"Thanks, tawn," Arenas said back.

Jamison then looked my direction and said, "He's not quirky. I don't know what word you use, but it's not quirky."

At that point, another reporter asked if would be okay if she asked Arenas a few questions and the discussion came to a standstill. My gut tells me, though, that it's not over.

By Michael Lee |  October 18, 2006; 1:38 PM ET
Previous: The Curse O' Les Ex-Boulez? | Next: Wizards back at it

Comments

First of all, what intelligent reporter would interrupt a gold mine of a conversation like that one? That person needs to be chewed out or fired.

Second, here are some thoughts you can use when that conversation continues (hopefully). The words quirky, weird and crazy are tossed around like they are synonyms, but they are not. Crazy connotes potentially dangerous instability (see Artest, R.). Weird means bizarre, so far from the mainstream that there is no real rationalization for the actions. Quirky means different from the norm and idiosyncratic, such as someone who must perform particular rituals like as eating hot dogs before games (see Strickland, R.). Gilbert certainly has some quirks. Everyone has a pre-free throw ritual, but cirling the ball around your waist before shooting free throws is unlike the pre-shot routine of any player I can think of. But I agree with Jamison that quirky is not the right word. I'm not sure what is, but it has something to do with taking things to extremes and approaching things in a very different way than the norm. Michael Jordan could be accused of that too, especially in taking things to extremes (his competitiveness especially). Gilbert doesn't just collect jerseys or movies; he becomes obsessed with having huge collections. He rarely leaves his hotel room. He karate chops Avree Storey in the chest. And it includes great stuff -- he shows up at the Armory with a ridiculous amount of stuff for the people hit by Katrina. He marches to the beat of his own drummer.

Posted by: Henry | October 18, 2006 2:17 PM

Please continue these kind of blogs. I've never laughed so hard. Poor,Poor Gilbert.

Posted by: Terry | October 18, 2006 2:55 PM

I just had this mental image of Agent Zero vigorously debating the breadth of their respective movie collections with Kim Jong Il: "What about this one? You got this one?"

Posted by: Thor | October 18, 2006 3:06 PM

I don't know if eccentric if the right word either, but it's an alternative to quirky.

Posted by: Duke | October 18, 2006 4:11 PM

Ivan:
I recall that in the summer when Gilbert was a free agent, there were press reports that some teams were leery of Gil because of his oddness. The one story I remember in those reports was that Gil and his girlfriend at the time attended an NBA game, and during a timeout the arena folks did one of those Kiss Cam segments. When the camera focused on Gil and his girl, instead of kissing her, he licked the side of her face. On that one, Gilbert is right -- that's just funny or "advanced."

Posted by: Steve | October 18, 2006 4:19 PM

I don't care how quirky he may or may not be. He is awesome. There are so many jerks and primadonnas in sports. Gil just seems like a cool dude. He's really fun to root for. Go Wiz!!!

Posted by: ZeroHero | October 18, 2006 4:39 PM

Fantastic entry. But the oxygen-tank thing, that's not weird - Olympic atheletes do the same thing. A bit extreme, but not weird.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 18, 2006 4:39 PM

Dudes, imagine that your son was doing these things and that he wasn't an NBA player...you would take him to see a specialist of some sort. That said, I love Gilbert!

Posted by: Bernard King | October 18, 2006 4:50 PM

maybe idiosyncratic, eccentric, obsessive-compulsive, but the guy just wants to win...at least he's trying.

Posted by: quirky is fine | October 18, 2006 4:54 PM

kwame wants to limit the amount of oxygen getting to his brain? he needs more oxygen.

Posted by: jeff | October 18, 2006 5:09 PM

This entry gets me reved for the season. Maybe it's just one single instance, but this team sounds like a team. Gilbert may be a lot of things, and hometown hero is definately at the top. In his defense, the labels stick. To me quirky is having weekly press conferences dressed in outrageous costumes. But that never got labeled as quirky.

Posted by: S. Colter | October 18, 2006 5:14 PM

There should be more professional athletes like Arenas. I'll take "quirky" any day. We love Gilbert.

Posted by: Eric | October 18, 2006 5:15 PM

Well, all I can say is that the ESPN article where he says he can't wait to watch Bambi II doesn't necessarily paint him as your everyday NBA player. In fact, the article mainly focuses on his differences from the rest of the league. Not sure if he knew it was going to come out that way, but Gil should just be himself and not worry about what other people think. Dude's damn good and he's happy. What more do you need?

Posted by: jack | October 18, 2006 5:25 PM

The locker room dialogue during such a hilarious conversation made for a great read- thanks for the insight. Gilbert is definitely a character (I'd submit unconventional over quirky) and more than anything I think the guy's got some great ideas that come from a really pure place. He's competetive, compassionate, kinda hilarious and completely lacking in pretense. It's proven time and time again by his actions

There hasn't been a pro athlete in the area this easy to root for since Cal Ripken Jr.

Posted by: rob g in annapolis | October 18, 2006 5:26 PM

quirky = personality. Live by it, play by it! Here's to the guy who turned the franchise around.

Posted by: Izman | October 18, 2006 5:37 PM

If you're poor, you're crazy. If you're rich, you're eccentric. God bless Gilbert!

Posted by: Chris Yeh | October 18, 2006 5:50 PM

the word is "free-thinking." it's crazy to take your dog on a treadmill, but sane to walk it outside in the chilly night? it's quirky to read Harry Potter or do a jigsaw, but it's sane to bet millions on the golf course? gilbert is a human bean!

Posted by: august s. | October 18, 2006 6:00 PM

Different.

Posted by: joe c | October 18, 2006 6:21 PM

That needs to be in the paper, not a blog.

Posted by: Cole | October 18, 2006 6:26 PM

just repeating what others have already said:

great blog entry, i'm excited about this team, and gilbert, whatever label you put on him, is very easy to root for, seems like a great guy, and i just hope we (the wizards and washington) never lose him.

we're so lucky to have guys like gilbert, antawn, caron, etan, etc. to root for.

Posted by: ac | October 18, 2006 6:45 PM

A few years ago, I told a client that she was cynical. She protested saying that she was not cynical and that I was being fair. After the back and forth for approximately 5 minutes, she asked what the word 'cynical meant' because she just did not like the sound of it. Well, I don't know that it applies here in part because for his perceived quirkiness, he is a heck of good player.

Posted by: bkc215 | October 18, 2006 8:38 PM

Didn't Gilbert end up in DC on not just a coin flip, but choosing the opposite of the coin-flip? Choose whatever word you want to describe...

From Wikipedia:
Both a point guard and shooting guard, Arenas previously played for the Golden State Warriors, who drafted him in the second round (31st overall) of the 2001 NBA Draft out of the University of Arizona. Although the Warriors did not enjoy much team success during Gilbert's tenure with them, he quickly established himself as one of the league's bright young talents. In 2003, his second year in the league, Gilbert was selected to receive the NBA Most Improved Player Award. After that season was one of the most sought after free agents of the NBA off season. Gilbert signed as a free agent with the Washington Wizards, reportedly after flipping a coin ten times to decide between the Wizards and the Los Angeles Clippers. After the coin came up seven times in the Clippers favor, Gilbert knew he had to sign with Washington.

Posted by: Unique | October 18, 2006 9:08 PM

yeah arenas is a funny guy i dnt kwn wat there talken bout... wen they aren loseing who always is try his hardest 2 bring them back up .....ok GILBERT ARENAS

Posted by: r j | October 18, 2006 10:07 PM

Ivan,

I think the readers here would appreciate this sorta "behind the scenes" stuff focusing more on the players themselves off court. The game related stuff is cool, but I like the blog more when you do this sort of thing? We can't get this kinda coverage anywhere.

Thanks!

Posted by: Robb | October 18, 2006 10:50 PM

This is really cool stuff. I'm honestly not so surprised that Arenas is puzzled. He's such a unique athlete because it seems like he doesn't even feel the need to fall into the role that society tries to create for him. Whereas many athletes either lack personality or use it in the wrong ways, Arenas isn't even remotely affected by those societal ideals. He sees no reason to be someone he isn't, and he's so secure with himself that he sees nothing wrong with it. I really wish more athletes would embrace this philosophy during their careers. As it stands now, we can just be the lucky ones to be closest to the guy.

-Bullets Fever
bulletsfever.blogspot.com

Posted by: Bullets Fever | October 18, 2006 11:29 PM

Great blog. No matter what Gilbert is....we love him! Thank God the NBA season is upon us since the Skins season is OVER.

Posted by: Lisa | October 18, 2006 11:46 PM

Ivan, good stuff I am always impressed to see these guys bonding like brothers and sharing time just growing as people with each other. I wish we could get more coverage of these guys on and off the court on television especially their preseason games and training camp.

Posted by: Derrick | October 19, 2006 3:03 AM

Next person who mentions the Redskins on this blog pays a $500 fine.

Thank you.

Posted by: Zonker | October 19, 2006 10:10 AM

Ivan:
Arenas's questioning of you seems more a reaction to the Esquire article, which painted him as a bit of a weirdo, than anything you've written. I loved the Esquire piece, though. Gilbert should have his own reality show.

Posted by: John | October 19, 2006 10:50 AM

What a great blog! I love Gilbert Arenas! He has such a good heart and actually cares about people. He has no airs about him. I don't think he is stange or quirky. My definition for him is that he just has "peculiar" ways. Whatever you may call him he is definitely "Good People" and I am glad that he is a Wizard. I hope you write additional posts on other players from time to time. This was a great read and brought a smile to my day. Too funny!

Posted by: Ms Columbia | October 19, 2006 11:02 AM

I agree with Robb. This blog is SO much better than the usual, predictable and vanilla articles in the paper. Fans want more behind-the-scenes material that isn't processed through a team publicist or an editor.

I'm dying to know what the "unsavory" Michael Jackson comments were...

Posted by: Bullets Fan In L.A. | October 19, 2006 11:08 AM

Gil's just dealing with the collective fall-out of all the press he's gotten lately. Since sportswriters are so used to getting pat answers and game-speak from emotionally closed-off athletes, they immediately flock to someone who isn't only OPEN but actually has a PERSONALITY to share. Plus when a reporter writes a story they have to have an angle. The angle on Gil is always the same because he sticks out like a sore thumb (God love him)...and since most reporters aren't trying hard enough to come up with another adjective, he gets called "quirky" or something similar.

In my opinion Gilbert is much more like the rest of us than he is like most other NBA players. Makes me wanna shop at Best Buy so I can shake his hand.

Posted by: JJ | October 19, 2006 12:45 PM

LOL, Kwame Brown probably will have the simulated high altitude system put in his house and wear an oxygen mask when he is in it.

Posted by: sagaliba | October 19, 2006 1:13 PM

This article was hilarious!!! I love Gilbert and the rest of the Washington Wizards team. I love the unity and team communication. I just hope that we do good this year so that Gilbert doesn't have the thought of leaving this team again. I love the Redskins and the Wizards and I honestly see them both going really far this year!

Posted by: Wizskinz | October 19, 2006 1:20 PM

I root for the nets but Gilbert is a guy that is really easy to root for. He's really honest and has a great personality. He may be a little different than most people but I wouldn't call him weird, I'd say he ha's original and has a different way of seeing things tham most people. I think that's what makes him so endearing and I'm glad he's got a personality. He doesn't offend anyone and doesn't give the same politically correct answers that a Lebron or Wade would give and that's why we love him.

Posted by: Nets fan in nyc | October 19, 2006 1:58 PM

Gilbert iss who he is, we love him and are proving it by being interested in everything that he does. Gilbert do you, if being different got you to where you are today, you are doing a super job! Now yall share dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sigmakia3 | October 19, 2006 2:38 PM

Great blog entry, Ivan. If you're interested we started cataloging his "Gilbertology" at RealGM:

Posted by: JRo | October 19, 2006 2:53 PM

I agree with Jack 100%.

Posted by: RMitchell | October 19, 2006 3:06 PM

Lets just say he's.................creative

Posted by: WizSkin | October 19, 2006 4:40 PM

Lets just say he's.................creative

Posted by: WizSkin | October 19, 2006 4:40 PM

Putting your dog on a treadmill makes perfect sense - especially for intense dogs like pit bulls. It is recommended by dog trainer Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer - scheck your local listings for the National Geographic Channel). Dogs that are well-exercised behave better.
Check it:http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/

Posted by: mt | October 19, 2006 5:30 PM

If it makes you feel any better Gil, I always thought Calvin Booth was a little bit "off" too.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 19, 2006 5:46 PM

redskins

Posted by: sush | October 19, 2006 5:48 PM

Gilbert may be different, or quirky, a tad strange, unique, whatever. Who cares? Unlike many budding stars that have passed thru DC, he gets it. We are very lucky to have a dedicated, smart, committed guy leading us. How do the names Juwan, C-Web, Rasheed, Kwame, resonate? Gilbert should never wear another teams jersey.

Posted by: Kevin K | October 20, 2006 1:40 PM

I must agree that Gil does things out of the ordinary. But I would rather him be "quirky" then to be stuck on himself like most Pro Atheletes are. Gil's personality is out of this world and he keeps people laughing. That's what makes him so different.

Posted by: Tee | October 20, 2006 7:40 PM

I agree Gilbert is different, but thank God he is. At least, seemingly, he has a great personality! So many of today's athletes think they are all that and more. Think they are God's gift to all WOMEN!! So cocky and stuck on themselves, it's sickening. Gilbert is different, Mr. Personality PluS. Keep up the good work, Gilbert, we love you just the way you are.

Posted by: D J Price | October 21, 2006 7:32 AM

Hay was it do team.Is there away to come to my next year birthday on 9-28-07 .All of the players at 1407 glencove ave n.w. palmbay florida.

Posted by: durrell johnson | October 21, 2006 8:10 AM

Career awards and accomplishments
NBA Champion (1989, 1990, 1996, 1997, 1998)
All-NBA Third Team (1992, 1995)
NBA All-Star Team (1990, 1992)
NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award (1990, 1991)
NBA All-Defensive First Team (1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996)
NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1994)
NBA Top Rebounds-per-game average (1992-98)
NBA Top Total Rebounds (1992, 1993,1994, 1998)
NBA Top Offensive Rebounds (1991, 1992,1993, 1994, 1996, 1997)
NBA Top Defensive Rebounds (1992, 1994, 1998)
NBA Top Field Goal Percentage (1989)

All this came from the most Quirky guy in the whole wide world. (Dennis Rodman) So Gil keep doing your thing.

Posted by: Millie Mill | October 21, 2006 9:43 AM

Gilbert's not quirky, just different. But that's why he's my favorite player.

Posted by: Andrew Krunk | October 24, 2006 9:13 AM

Perhaps I'm quirky too, but everything Gilbert is doing seems quite normal for a person with above average amount of knowledge. Don't people read anymore or at least, watch The Discovery Channel, National Geographic, TLC, History, etc? Walking a dog on a treadmill is basic animal training and helps dogs relieve stress. Especially since most people don't know that you have to walk your dogs for at least an hour and a half every day. Dogs get pent up energy just sitting at home doing nothing. So would we. Knowledge is power people. I remember people laughing when I told them the internet will be the wave of the future and that we can buy things through it. If Arenas said the same thing, I bet people would laugh. Ugh. Stupidity makes me sick.

Posted by: Jahwei | October 24, 2006 9:36 AM

Please do a Gilbert part II. I just love this guy! Gilbert if you just happen to read this blog, please, DO NOT CHANGE A THING! Stay just the way you are. You are one enigmatic, charismatic,unique,caring, good natured, good hearted person and we all love you just like you are! Do you man! Forget Lebron and all of those other cats,I would rather have you leading the Wizards any day. You gus are the best in my book, the rest of the nation just has not caught on yet. But, they will! Trust me they will! Redemption is coming.........

Posted by: wizfan4life | October 25, 2006 11:33 AM

Big fan, and can understand why he gets uneasy when labels like that are attached to his name... Gil should be just called a talented player with very particular traits. I really dig when he's behind the free-throw line and circles the ball around his waist... that is very unique... he's a philanthropist and that's very admirable... and he got passion. Nothing wrong with having distinguishing features to your game... more power to you Gil...

Posted by: Pablo | October 25, 2006 5:58 PM

Even if his behavior is deemed as different or quirky, his brilliance on the court is why we are talking about him in the first place. Along with Steve Nash, Gilbert stands out as one of the only floor generals who truly LEADS from the point guard position......the way it should be done. Go Wiz. P.S. Let's discourage the production of "2nd Round" playoff t-shirts as if we should be content with that. I want a Championship!

Posted by: Silvestro | October 25, 2006 6:06 PM

I really like Arenas he's not wierd his just plan out good at what he does on and off the court.When you have greatness everyone has something negative to say.Why should anyone be upset about what he do,he does not get into trouble in the league like other NBA player.So why not let him be himself and play his game.Lead the Washington Wizards to a championship.Look back to his childhood and look at him today he's done well for himself.

Posted by: Michelle C | October 28, 2006 1:27 PM

It's great to know that you guys in Washington love Gilbert. We sure do miss him back in Oakland. He's a standup guy

Posted by: Bob | October 29, 2006 1:16 PM

gilbert has been holding it down since way back. he constantly attacks the hole and is unlike any other player: with his extreme inside game(driving, getting and-one's) and honed outside approach (deep 3's and fading jumpers). he is an enigmatic and refreshing personality in a league full of premadonas and coddled pretty boys. i hope he rips every doubter of his a new one this season and goes off for 30-5-6-2 again. stop the haterade you PC numbnuts. he's got the will and determination of a Bull. watch out!

Posted by: Jack of the Zona Pack | November 5, 2006 3:16 AM

Man Gilbert is a great player so what that he does things other ppl would find weird or "Quirky" we all kno that if ppl where to ask us of some crazy things we do or have done then we would look @ ourselves & be like well dang that's crazy to some ppl I thought it was normal ... Michael Jordan wore the same stuff every game weird? Or crazy? Would u do it? & no it aint gonna make u play like him if u do it too lol... Allen Iverson wears that sleeve on his arm cuz he all banged up innovative, Weird that Mr. Arenas want an oxygen tank on the road so that he wont get tired & im thinkin thats a good idea cuz lord knows some ppl could use that ... In closing the man is good @ what he does & I like his style cuz I kno I readz a book & be listening to my ipod @ the same time Weird? i think not ...

Posted by: Ken | November 6, 2006 3:14 AM

Gilbert is The Man. Cool, funny, perhaps quirky, but simply The Man. He's the best story in sports. And I'm a Celtics fan. I mean it, this dude is the best.

Posted by: DC | November 8, 2006 1:58 PM

Gil shouldn't worry about being labeled 'quirky'. Webster's defines a 'quirk' as "a peculiar trait" and 'peculiar' is just "different from the usual or normal"
but another definition of 'peculiar' is "belonging exclusively to one person or group"
Being quirky is just being yourself.
Gil's quirks are just magnified by his peculiar status as an NBA All-Star.
Also, we might call him quirky because we love his peculiar traits; he is NOT just another cookie-cutter posterboy.
His extreme generosity is a quirk worth having.

D.Rodman went from 'quirky' to 'freaky' a long time ago. Not a likely problem for Arenas.

Posted by: Justy | November 8, 2006 2:05 PM

As an Arizona alumnus, I am glad to see the love Gilbert gets from the Wiz fans.

Keep it up, Gilbert!

Posted by: old bitter craig | November 8, 2006 3:44 PM

Who doesn't love this guy?? No worries, Gil! For those of you enjoying this blog, do yourself a favor and watch Gil's pregame ritual next time you are at MCI. It is exactly the same every game, from his standing underneath the basket shooting layups for the last 2 minutes of warmups, to his halfcourt shot after the buzzer sounds, to his folding his warmup jersey, placing it on the ground, stepping over it, then picking it back up. That's not all either, there's more - go see for yourselves. It's the same for every game. I remember one game last season when soldiers brought out a giant USA flag to midcourt for the National Anthem, only they brought it out before the pregame buzzer sounded. Gilbert had security tell the soldiers to move to the side a bit and hold the flag up high above their heads so Gil could duck under it and get off his mandatory half-court shot. He is one-of-a-kind and I love him for it.

Posted by: Mike | November 8, 2006 3:52 PM

The world, and the NBA, needs more Gilly Arenas

Posted by: Todd | November 8, 2006 5:01 PM

Gilbert's quirkiness is MUCH better than the standard thuggishness in the NBA. Here's a guy who is funny, smart, talented, and genuinely nice. I'll take that any day over all the other players who are too tough to smile. Finally, a rare athlete who's not a "jock".

Posted by: Groove Ma-Chine | November 8, 2006 5:46 PM

We are all quirky. I'm no weirder than Arenas. He's becoming my favorite player simply because he's normal. Normal being quirky.

Seems like a great guy too. If I was playing poorly midway through a game, a shower might be a good idea.

Hell, I've done that working a bad day.

Not weird.

Posted by: Nathan | November 8, 2006 5:48 PM

Sleeping on acouch rather then a bed----a good idea. Couches are more confortable anyway.

Posted by: Mike | November 8, 2006 8:38 PM

Quirky IS the perfect word. Suck it up Gilbert, your a very good ball player. Go with the flow, you can't control the media.

Posted by: Emmanuel | November 8, 2006 9:22 PM

I just want to say that I love this article, it's hilarious. Kudos to the author.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 8, 2006 9:28 PM

I think Glibert is a little off-beat... or perhaps "syncopated" may (or may not) describe him better.

Regardless, it's all good music...

-daryl

Posted by: Daryl | November 9, 2006 2:00 AM

'quirky' or any other word is just a description...an adjective..and it doesn't mean a thing...just an opinion. Gilbert is being himself, which is the most natural thing for someone to do. The man is curious about what the 'labelers' mean because he is on the inside and knows no other way to be, while they are on the outside and don't 'get' it. They are acknowledging a unique and more importantly, brilliant and refreshing personality. Shine on my man! People like you (and me) make the world spin. To know is to know. Yeah.

Posted by: EarlT | November 9, 2006 11:52 AM