Snowed in

Well, I'm not going to make it to Sacramento for tonight's game against the Kings and I may not get to Phoenix for tomorrow night's game against the Suns either. Denver got hit with a blizzard and the entire city is locked down. The airport won't open until noon tomorrow at the earliest and at least 5,000 travelers are stuck in and around Denver International Airport. The storm made for some fun scenes, among them:

-Five 20-somethings rolling down the 16th Street Mall dragging sleds behind them this afternoon. They got the day off because of the snow and couldn't find an open bowling alley or movie theater so they stopped into Rite Aid, bought some sleds and headed for a hill. "We're going to stop and get some booze, you want to come with us?" one of them asked me. Sounded like fun but I had blogging duties.
Not long after seeing those fun folks, I saw a young lady dragging some dude in a sled. "Mush" he yelled. "Get off the sled, you're too fat," she yelled back.

-Me trudging through the empty downtown streets last night looking for the bar where one of my buddies from high school serves up drinks. It was weird. Snow everywhere. Not a person moving. Not a car to be seen. The whole thing felt like that opening scene in Vanilla Sky where Tom Cruise finds himself all alone in a desolate Manhattan. Thank goodness the bar was open. It was my buddy, Adam a.k.a. "Chappy" and a few diehards sitting around watching basketball on one TV and Boondocks Saints on another. Great flick.

-On the walk back, we stopped and helped a couple shove their Volkswagen out of a pile of snow and into a parking garage. So much for fine German engineering. It took awhile but with a little beer muscle we got that thing moving. That gesture of kindness ought to earn me some Karma points. It's worth noting that we stopped and helped - I had no gloves on and was covered by a thin North Face jacket - after two jerks rolled by all of us in their Hummer. I'm not saying that every person who drives a Hummer is a tool but it has to be close.

-The town is pumped about the coming arrival of Allen Iverson. Everywhere I've been folks are buzzing about it and most of them are not basketball fans. One of the fellas at Chappy's bar (it's called Spill so feel free to check it out. Ask for Chappy and tell 'em Ivan sent you) said he already has a jersey ordered up. Check out this sign I saw in the window of a closed sporting good store near the 16th Street mall today:

AI in Denver baby!.bmp

I'll be watching the Wizards/Kings game tonight and I'll be blogging throughout so feel free to log on and we'll have a conversation during the game. Just hit this blog up and we'll go back and forth in the "comments" section. With a game looming Friday night against the Suns, the Wizards need a win tonight.

By Ivan Carter |  December 21, 2006; 3:42 PM ET
Previous: Waiting on AI | Next: The Biz on the Wiz

Comments

Ivan - there is always something cool about a snowed in city. I remember it happening in DC about 10 years ago - no cars, just people, the snow deadening all the sound. It was quite trippy, and a great excuse to booze.

A few thoughts:

On the AI trade - Denver will sure be fun to watch, and I suspect that Melo and AI will get along fine, and play well together, but. . .I don't see this putting Denver ahead of Dallas, Pho, or SA as a squad. This then begs the question - they have leveraged future cap room and to a lesser extent a draft pick, but if this doesn't bring a championship (and I don't think it will), is it worth it? Miami gave up a lot for Shaq, but it worked. Will this?

- is it just me or does it seem like our bench is weaker this year? jared/deshawn swap had no impact on the bench, and etan/brendan starter/bench decision is a push of sorts, plus we now have jarvis back (thus far mostly subtraction by addition, but there is hope), yet i don't remember the bench being so weak last year . . . and i can't chalk it up to player changes - what's up?

- as you said, we need this one. we are rested, the whole team has had two days in denver to take advantage of the gilbert tent effect, and sac is in a bit of a spiral at the moment (2-8 in last 10). Got to close on this one, cause tomorrow will be tough.

(p.s., i agree with lisa - let's ease up on the negativity - team has been playing great - let's enjoy it)

Posted by: charles jones | December 21, 2006 5:14 PM

Ivan: Two questions:

1) Did the Zards inquire about AI at the very least.

2) Do we trade for KG or Marion?

Posted by: The Governor | December 21, 2006 5:19 PM

Have you seen the reports that Philly might make a play for The Hibachi Assasin after C-Webb limps off the books, and given the WIzards' current constitution, and the unlikelyhood of their being able to trade for a Shawn Marion or Kirilenko type, as well as the unlikelihood of their being in position to draft a big man with a big chance of being a big contributor, should we worry that unless O-Pec and Blatche become monsters that ever-self-improving Gil will see Washington as a dead end, and head northeast to grill cheesesteaks on his hibatchi?

Posted by: John | December 21, 2006 5:45 PM

Wow, John, that's the longest sentence I've ever seen...

Haven't heard that rumor though...I've got to believe the Wizards will do everything in their power to keep him. And Gil's even said that he would take less money so that the team has more cap space to build a winner, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Posted by: Aaron | December 21, 2006 5:58 PM

Man, you're still snowed in? You must be getting stir crazy. I have a feeling Ivan's blog tonight is going to look like this...

All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy
All work and no play make Ivan a dull boy

Posted by: Rod Strickland's Towel | December 21, 2006 6:22 PM

Ivan, finally a photo or your life on the road. Keep 'em coming. I live vicariously through you.

Posted by: D-darting | December 21, 2006 6:53 PM

Ivan: Longtime listener, first-time caller.
Enjoy the snowday. We're having to endure 70-degree days here in Atlanta recently...
Two points--
Not only will Iverson's all-star votes go over to the West, helping Arenas, but with both AI and Carmelo in Denver and only one orange roundie, they're bound to both score less as options IA and IB then they are now. Arenas will pass them in scoring and become #1 in the category by season's end. The Takeover, indeed.

I suspect the new Solid Gold uniforms are so hideous they can only have one source -- Abe Pollin's wife. Just like her preference for the name "Wizards" infamously skewed the supposedly balanced 'vote-off' we were supposed to have when they were trying to decide a new name, I think she had a hand in designing these monstrosities. Maybe they're made to reflect light into the opposing shooters' eyes to help the Wiz's perimeter defense?
Just a thought.

Make some snow angels for us.

Posted by: the DC Jam | December 21, 2006 7:00 PM

"I'm not saying that every person who drives a Hummer is a tool but it has to be close."

Ivan, that's one of the more brilliant, concise statements I've read in a long time.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | December 22, 2006 9:55 AM