Gilbert to start in All Star game

There will be no need for Davi Stern to step in and correct a wrong by adding Gilbert Arenas to the Eastern Conference All Star team this season. That's because Allen Iverson's move to the Western Conference and a late surge in fan voting moved Arenas past Vince Carter and earned him a starting slot in the Feb. 18th All Star game.

Arenas somehow trailed Carter by over 200,000 votes two weeks ago but those game winners against Milwaukee and Utah, the pub associated with that party and all kinds of other love helped get Arenas him over. It doesn't hurt that Gilbert's blog on NBA.com and a sudden push all over the marketplace have made him so well known. There's a reason why we're seeing "hibachi" signs in every arena the Wizards visit.

Gilbert starting also all but guarantees that Caron Butler will be selected as as a reserve by the East coaches though Arenas learned how that can go last season when he was passed over by the coaches and had to be picked by Stern. Butler deserves it. Those of you who have been reading this blog since training camp may remember that one of my predictions was Butler making the All Star team. He came to camp in the best shape of his life and has consistently played great ball all season. Also, is there a chance that Antawn Jamison will be added?

Think about it. Michael Redd and Paul Pierce are out so there are seven spots open and only, as I see it, a few locks: Butler, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Rip Hamilton and either Jason Kidd or Carter. Can the Nets get two with a losing record? Should they? How about Joe Johnson? Maybe Detroit's Chauncey Billups or a player from the Bulls? But which Bull? Antawn may have a shot, especially if the Wiz go into Feb. 4 with the East's best record and Eddie Jordan gets to coach the game.

Thoughts?

By Ivan Carter |  January 25, 2007; 6:39 PM ET
Previous: The Should-Be All-Stars | Next: BIg win in Detroit

Comments

Gil can thank me for adding the All-Star ballot link to this blog for his recent surge. ;)

Tell him to throw a jersey my way. ;)

I think Caron gets the nod by the coaches easily and have all year. Good prediction Ivan!

Please go vote for all the Wizards for the 2007 NBA All Star game NOW at:

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 25, 2007 7:08 PM

I don't think Antawn should be an All-Star, considering there are players who are far more important to their respective teams than he is. Let's face it, he's the third option on a team that has nowhere near the magnitude and/or record of, say, the Pistons when they had 4 All-Stars. Still, Caron should indeed be a lock.

BTW- Yeah I do think the Nets deserve & will get two All-Stars this year. Carter for being a fan favorite, Kidd for being that damn good.

Posted by: Wouter | January 25, 2007 7:30 PM

I agree that Antawn is probably not playing All-Star caliber ball. If Caron has had to play nearly perfect ball and have stats that only perenially lock KG can match just to get mentioned as a potential reserve, you can't look over at 'Twan and the "every 3rd game he goes for 35" streakiness and justifiably say he's an all-star, I don't think.

Posted by: Gack | January 25, 2007 8:08 PM

Congrats to Gilbert Arenas!

Posted by: Will | January 25, 2007 8:22 PM

HIII....BAAAAAA....CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!

Posted by: burke | January 25, 2007 8:23 PM

Thank you Ray for getting Gilbert a starting spot on the East team! Without your daily reminders, I would not have voted 1,000 times.

Congrats to Gilbert, but I'd really like to see EJ get a shot at coaching the All Star game. Tough weekend coming up...

Go Wiz!

Posted by: CJ Baltimore | January 25, 2007 9:18 PM

Way to go Gilbert. You got it the old fashioned way ... YOU EARNED IT!!!

Posted by: AL | January 25, 2007 9:30 PM

Carter is not an allstar and neither is Shaq. Sorry but there should be a rule that requires playing a certain percentage of games prior to the game to be eligible regardless of voting tallies. It simply is a disservice to those who have played at a high level that particular year for their teams success.

Also, why should Carmelo qualify for the scoring race bc of his "average". Well, average does not matter if you miss large portions of the season. Total points scored that season is the true scoring champion IMO.

Posted by: Rob P | January 25, 2007 9:38 PM

Rob, for every stat category, there is a minimum number of games/attempts/whatever you need to remain "qualified" in that category, and it's far more difficult to maintain a high scoring average over 40+ games than it is over 20+, so it should be a matter of simple statistical levelling that takes care of 'Melo as far as that goes.

Posted by: Gack | January 25, 2007 9:43 PM

There is no way Jamison should make the All Star team...he's having a good season...but not a All Star year...Washington is a very average team at best...you Washington fans should be grateful that you'll more than likely have Butler added as a reserve...

Posted by: Crakavelli | January 25, 2007 10:00 PM

"Not to sound selfish but Jamison needs to heal up, I hope he doesn't make it or at least sits on the bench if he does."

Ray, I completely agree with this thought.

AJ's tired and his knee is a little sore and this All-Star break will be a much needed break for him. He's All Star caliber and he's proven it, but this is a time for him to heal and relax.

I voted for Jamison out of team loyalty, but AJ's a mature guy who cares much more about the Wizards doing well in the playoffs. And for that to happen, he has to rest. Even in the dramatic nature of soem of the comments he's made lately -- a little out of character for a low-key guy -- I see a need to rest and hang out.

Posted by: Nancy | January 25, 2007 10:02 PM

Great news about Arenas. Caron also deserves to go--I hope he gets in as a reserve.

As far as Jamison is concerned, right now I'd say no. If the Wizards sweep the next set of games before Feb. 4th and the Wizards have the first spot in the Eastern Conference--then maybe there is some justice to the pick and having three Wizards represented.

Otherwise I'd like to see one of the bubble guys, like Joe Johnson, or one of the Chicago Bulls make the trip (e.g. Deng, Gordon, a case could even be made for Ben Wallace based on the Bulls defensive performance).

Posted by: JP | January 25, 2007 10:43 PM

Anyone know when the competitors for the various sideshow contests are finalized? Are those the same time as the reserves, I wonder?

And who decides them -- are they voted on by all the coaches, or just picked by the league?

Posted by: Gack | January 25, 2007 10:46 PM

Zero made up ground to the tune of over 200,000 votes in two weeks? Hmm - sounds fishy to me - and I voted for him online almost every day. Then again, I was wondering who the hell outside of NJ was voting for Vince Carter?

No way does Antawn deserve an All-Star nod - his play has been erratic at best. Give it to Joe Johnson of the Hawks - he deserves it.

Posted by: Bullets Fan in L.A. | January 25, 2007 11:53 PM

The Takeover continues...Gil will be matched up against Kobe..Should be fun..Hibachi!! Congrats Gil and thanks Ray for posting the balloting link-made it easy.

Posted by: PTP23 | January 26, 2007 12:07 AM

Rob P,

I wholeheartedly agree with you...I've been asking for weeks how Carmelo can still be the #1 scorer when he missed so many games. As for Shaq being a starter in the All Star game, that is insane. He's played only 5-6 games all season.

Posted by: Lisa | January 26, 2007 12:15 AM

This isn't meant to sound negative, but I'm willing to bet Gil's birthday party and its ensuing media coverage did more to help him make up those 200k votes than any of his individual game performances or our position in the standings...

Posted by: Gack | January 26, 2007 8:33 AM

It's the fans' game. Of all active players, Shaq has had the best career. He could have played two minutes this season and I would have no problem with him being a starter.
Plus, last year he got all the starters to do choreographed dance moves when they were introduced. What's a party without Shaq?

Posted by: Joe | January 26, 2007 9:32 AM

Ray, props to you. Ivan's article in the Post today said: "He ended up beating Carter by 3,010 votes." Since the All-Star Game's in Vegas this year, it's appropriate for me to say that I'd bet my bottom dollar that without your link in the blog, Gil's a reserve (again). For the total number of votes cast, a 3,010 final gap is incredibly close...think Florida recount.

Agree with all who are saying that the best outcome for the Wiz is for AJ to sit this one out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Eddie is the Eastern Conf head coach (likely), I think he makes the call on reserves. Will he be able to pass on AJ, who has a legitimate (but not strong) case for the All-Star team?

Posted by: DDub | January 26, 2007 10:14 AM

Yeah, props again to Ray.

You guys think there is a "Ray" in NJ who kept Carter in the running? :D

Posted by: Gack | January 26, 2007 10:47 AM

"Without your daily reminders, I would not have voted 1,000 times."

You mean this one? Lol!

Wow, I didn't know it was that close.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 26, 2007 11:34 AM

I like the fact that the posters on this blog:
1. Think they could make better trades than Grunfeld;
2. Think they could coach the team better than Jordan; and
3. Think they are responsible for Gilbert making the allstar team as a starter.

Let's get to work on global warming, guys.

Posted by: Sean | January 26, 2007 12:29 PM

Congratulations to Gilbert. Caron will be there. Antawn will not, nor does he deserve to be.

Posted by: AV | January 26, 2007 12:44 PM

As far as Carmelo goes, I'm not too surprised that Carmelo is still the #1 scorer.

I don't have hard numbers, but my guess is that it's a lot easier for a player to average 31+ over a 24 game stretch, then it is to do this over the course of a full season (or even half a season).

I don't the historical pre-Allstar scoring averages, but if you look at scoring leaders going back to 1980, 50% of the time the league leader had an average over 31 points; 50% of the time that point average was below 31 points.

So Anthony's 31+ point average pre-suspension put him in a good position to be where he is now.

Posted by: JP | January 26, 2007 12:54 PM

I'm really interested to see if the coaches vote in Vince Carter. It could finally be payback time for the drama he caused in Toronto. With the Nets being below .500, leaving him off would be explainable.

As far as Antawn making the team, if people are seriously considering Luol Deng, then Antawn has an argument here. He's got better numbers and his team has a better record. Let's not start getting silly and taking for granted this guys production, he's solid.

Posted by: Wei | January 26, 2007 1:11 PM

joe I with u on Shaq, but its not deserving.

Posted by: quik | January 26, 2007 1:13 PM

It is very exciting to have the possibility of Caron in the all-star game. If he makes it this year, right as he's hitting his prime who knows how many he ends up going to as a wizard.

grunfeld deserves a standing ovation for swinging that deal with the lakers. kwame wont be making an all-star team anytime soon.

I do remember the blog early in the season when you mentioned caron being an all star and why you thought he would. In terms of off-season or pre-season news, I dont know if there is anything as reassuring as hearing about one of your players having a dedicated off-season with stories about personal trainers, personal chefs, being in the best shape of their life, etc. i loved hearing that about him in pre-season. whenever you year that about basketball, football or baseball players, good things tend to happen that year.

is there anyway we can get Jarvis onto the all-star squad? I'd love to see Eddie give him about 15-20 minutes of clock.

Posted by: Ray Chris. | January 26, 2007 1:18 PM

post of the year goes to sean.

Posted by: Ray Chris. | January 26, 2007 1:28 PM

Sean, you're not paying attention. Gilbert's an All-Star because he throws highly publicized parties. Please try to keep up.

Posted by: burke | January 26, 2007 1:40 PM

You're right Burke, it IS all about picking the best players, certainly not a popularity contest...

Posted by: Gack | January 26, 2007 2:24 PM

The wiz need to take care of business this evening.

Posted by: dc | January 26, 2007 2:57 PM

Gack: actually, the turning point was when Gilbert made the brilliant move to incite the overseas Asian fan base with his cry of "hibachiiiii!" (which in addition to being a popular cooking instrument, happens mean 'vote for Agent Zero!' in Cantonese).

Posted by: burke | January 26, 2007 3:58 PM

What I want to know is how in the hell did Shane Battier finish only 30k shy of Dirk and AHEAD of Shawn Marion, Josh Howard, and Carlos Boozer??

Who is voting for this guy?? Do fans find flopping a crowd pleaser??

Posted by: Gack | January 26, 2007 4:11 PM

Posted by: Joe | January 26, 2007 4:19 PM

Burk,

Hibachi is Japanese.

Posted by: sagaliba | January 26, 2007 4:47 PM

"I like the fact that the posters on this blog:
1. Think they could make better trades than Grunfeld;
2. Think they could coach the team better than Jordan; and
3. Think they are responsible for Gilbert making the allstar team as a starter.

Let's get to work on global warming, guys."

Didn't you hear Sean? There is no such thing as global warming. Agent Zero was feeling cold, so he turned the sun up.

"I wonder whether Chinese fans who vote for Yao also vote for other Rockets players like McGrady and Battier. How many votes did Juwan get? (Or do they hate him too in China?)"

Actually I think "Juwan" is Cantonese for salary-cap killer.

Posted by: WristMinusTwoDegrees | January 26, 2007 4:52 PM

By the way, I'm feeling a loss tonight kids.

Posted by: Capitol Bullets | January 26, 2007 4:58 PM

Dwight Howard. (Not Josh, nor Juwan)

Or 'Holy!' Howard as I like to call him.

Dwight should Play instead of fat Shaq. Shaq is a beached orca waiting on the high tide of the postseason to become the dangerous predator he once was. For now he'd do better floating around a tank in Sea World.

Posted by: doc link (realgm.com boards) | January 26, 2007 4:58 PM

"Let's get to work on global warming, guys."

That's right and I have some land in Florida I would like to sell to you.

A bridge in Brooklyn maybe? ;)

Actually, I think this is a very good blog and the people really know the game here.

I think Gil is resposible for getting Gil into the All Star game, but after all the times everyone here voted I bet we could easily get 3,011 votes. I can't remember when I started that link but it was right around the start of the season and I pretty much voted every day several times.

What the heck, lets do some math!

Let's say I voted at least once a day for the last 3 months. That would be 90 votes roughly.

3,011 / 90 = 33.46

So that means we would have to have had roughly 34 people on here vote every day since the season started.

I used 3,011 because 3,010 would be a tie. :P

I actually think that's possible because I know several of you were voting more then once per day.

Gil owes everyone on this blog a "Hibachi" jersey. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 26, 2007 6:21 PM

One more thing....

Ivan, you better tell Gil to give us all some "hibachi" love when he makes his All-Star MVP speech. :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 26, 2007 6:23 PM

Shaq should not be the starter and if he is truly a "big man" he will step aside and let Dwight Howard get the nod.

Posted by: Lisa | January 26, 2007 6:49 PM

Shaq step aside?! Now that is a nice and completely impossible thing you hope for Lisa. He should, but he won't. And I love the doclink's whale comparison, it's dead on.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 26, 2007 7:36 PM

Hibachi-time to end the half. I think 'Twan heard us talking about him not being an all-star in the first half.

AD earning his paycheck again in a big way. If Caron gets it going in the 2nd half, we should win this game.

WTF was with the sequence where the Pistons got 4 offensive rebs/tips in a row, though? Good lord guys, protect the rim just once out of 4 tries...

Posted by: Gack | January 26, 2007 8:12 PM

How about Haywood's fouls shooting! Have to give a Tar Heel his props when they do good for the Wizards.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 26, 2007 8:46 PM

Tough Juice didn't do much tonight but made the key FT nonetheless. That guy is awesome. And what a game from Jamison. This was a grit and guts victory from the Wizards and pretty sweet to. Back to the top of the East!

Posted by: George Templeton | January 26, 2007 9:31 PM

Was that a defensive stop at the end? Did I see swarming perimeter defense? What a satisfying win.

Posted by: Tony | January 26, 2007 9:34 PM

I'll echo that Tony. This game always felt like one we were going to win. The last 3 minutes was just nuts!

Eddie in the post-game:

"We would have lost this game by 50 back in November"... (referring to Gil keeping his composure after a bunch of no-calls tonight)

Posted by: Gack | January 26, 2007 9:55 PM

If you had told me that playing on the road in Detroit Butler would score in single digits, Gil wouldn't break 30, and neither team would break 100, I would've put a nice chunk of change against the Wiz winning that game. That was a good win and a great way to rebound from that Phoenix debacle. Now if we beat the Celtics we get a chance of going 10 games over .500! And as much constructive criticism you guys offer EJ on this blog, it would be great seeing a Wizard coach the East squad.

Posted by: mikeinseoul | January 26, 2007 10:35 PM

"And as much constructive criticism you guys offer EJ on this blog, it would be great seeing a Wizard coach the East squad."

It'd be great, but like I said before anyone over 6'7" is going to sit the bench a lot. :P

Lisa dear as good a player Shaq is, he is very selfish. Shaq ain't gonna miss a chance to start so he can rub it in Phil & Kobe's faces.

- Ray

**former All-Star link for the Wizards**

Posted by: Ray | January 26, 2007 11:04 PM

Ray --

"Lisa dear?" -- spare us the patronizing stuff.

Your posts are good and the All-Star push was cool but come on. Posts with that kind of stuff will make this blog yet another wienerfest.

Posted by: Tony | January 26, 2007 11:36 PM

I wonder how much credit the national media that filleted the Wizards after their loss to the Suns are going to give them for winning at Detroit? Somehow I think it will be largely ignored.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 26, 2007 11:40 PM

It would be an insult if the Nets (with a losing record)have 2 All Stars and the Bulls (with a winning record) have none.

Posted by: Rhea | January 30, 2007 8:26 PM