Billups: Fix the All-Star Game Now

Thank you, Chauncey Billups for saying what I, and just about every real basketball fan, wanted to say after the worst All-Star Game I've ever witnessed in person. "I understand guys don't want to get hurt, but I just wish they would somehow put some rule that these cats have to play," the Detroit Pistons point guard told reporters last night after the Eastern Conference was embarrassed 153-132 last night. "I want to win."

If we call out players for not playing hard, we just sound like crusty, cranky sportswriters. Since you, Chauncey, an actual all-star, said it, your words carry more weight. When you do it, you're telling the truth. That was not a show last night; that was a sham. Or in the words of that beer commercial, "a traveshamockery."

Once you get past Cirque du Soleil doing those acrobatic tricks, Wayne Newton, Toni Braxton and Christina Aguillera singing, a couple of showgirls parading around and Gilbert Arenas' between-the-legs dunk off the trampoline, the true entertainment had nothing to do with the actual basketball game.

Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan was careful not to offend his players after the game for that uninspiring effort, mostly because he's a class act but also, possibly, out of fear of getting retribution in the second half of the season from the likes Dwyane Wade, Shaquille O'Neal and LeBron James. I wasn't expecting him to go ballistic the way Doug Collins did after coaching the 2004 Rookie-Sophomore Challenge, which turned into a lame dunk-a-thon involving James, Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire ("It was sort of virtual reality basketball," Collins said after that game nearly caused his head to explode. "There's nothing you can do. You start pleading, 'Can you please guard somebody?' ")

Billups, however, didn't care yesterday. He lit into his Eastern Conference teammates who didn't show up at all and appeared to be completely partied out. The Strip, with its luring bright lights and casinos obviously sapped them out of more than just money from their wallets. It also took away their competitive drive. The West, however, had Kobe Bryant, who actually was upset that his team's 30-point lead was reduced into the 20s.

Granted, this was an exhibition game and no one will care once the real games are played tomorrow but give me a break. I mean, seriously, could there have been at least two minutes of competitive basketball? "The reason I don't play in charity games is because I want to play for real," Billups said. "If I paid my hard-earned money to see (Kevin Garnett), Kobe, Wade, these guys play, I want to see them really play."

Upper, upper deck - touch-the-roof-with-your-hands - seats for that game cost $400 at face value. But I'd want a refund for forking over that kind of dough for that kind of (or lack of) effort. People who paid thousands of dollars for tickets - and those who likely didn't like Prince - were actually walking out before the game ended. Does that make any sense? Heck, Allen Iverson wasn't even on the Western Conference bench in the fourth quarter.

"I think they need to come up with something that would put a little defense in the game," East forward Jermaine O'Neal said after the game. "I heard Chauncey Billups says they should give the winner home-court advantage in the Finals, like they do in baseball. I think that's a good idea."

That's a bit extreme. Last night wasn't nearly as upsetting as the 2002 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, when the teams ran out of pitchers and it ended in a 7-7 tie. But something needs to be done before the game becomes as irrelevant as the NFL's Pro Bowl, the most dull and forgettable all-star showcase of the big three sports. Who was the MVP of that game this year?

Maybe they need to raise the award money. I am totally against the concept of an international showcase - the USA against the World - because frankly, no matter how much people clamor for it, there really aren't enough international stars - and I mean real stars, not role players - to warrant what has been done in hockey. You could have a team with Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Duncan. But who would be on your bench? And would those reserves really be better than the American players who would have to take a backseat? I don't think so.

The NBA All-Star Game doesn't need to be taken too seriously. It has to be fun and exciting. It needs silly Shaq dancing and smooching. It needs Vince Carter dunks. It also needs players who give a flip. I'm not asking for hard fouls and technicals. I just don't want to have to sit through anything like last night again. Any suggestions?

By Michael Lee |  February 19, 2007; 6:43 PM ET
Previous: It was something | Next: All's quiet as the trade deadline nears

Comments

Let the fans in attendance decide how the reward money is divvied up.

Hell, if they could get that working reasonably well, it'd revolutionize pro sports salaries :)

Posted by: Gack | February 19, 2007 7:02 PM

Guess I don't understand why the media is all hyped up today about the game....after all it was a high scoring affair (especially for the West) and no one really expected defense to be played. It would have been nice to see the East but still it was meant to be entertainment - not real competition.

Posted by: Lisa | February 19, 2007 7:28 PM

Hey Mike, I got an idea. My friends and are started a debate last week whether or not the Adidas "it takes 5" crew can beat any 5 from the Nike "second coming" crew. I said that Adidas would win. My friend said Nash, Kobe, Lebron, J. O'neal, and Amare would win. How about a Nike vs. Adidas matchup? If i'm not mistaken, Adidas and Reebok are partners so A.I. would be involved. But where would D. Wade fit in?

Posted by: C.Bell | February 19, 2007 7:50 PM

I've seen a number of outlets (some mainstream media, but mostly bloggers) lambaste Gil because he didn't light it up, but IMO, the complete idioticy that is the All-Star game was summed up by Queen LeTravel attempting to throw the ball off the glass to himself at the foul line and nearly kill himself and 3 other people trying to get to the ball for a dunk.

It was shameless, crass, selfish, foolish, risky, and also, he missed it. He could have hurt himself and a handful of other players, and although, yeah, this is supposed to be a crowd-pleasing exposition, I doubt anybody on the West has so little pride that they are going to allow themselves to be posterized in such a manner by a guy like LeBron.

Other than a couple of long threes, it really seemed like Gil was being frozen out by the "status quo" of East stars who wanted no part of any newcomer trying to share their spotlight. I don't think D-Wade is a bad guy at all, but it seems really, painfully obvious that James is not interested in sharing the spotlight with anybody.

Did Bosh even touch the ball twice? He seemed like he disappeared. No matter, his team is scarier than The Queen's right now.

I don't think I've ever coveted Dwight Howard like I did after watching him humiliate the rim in the first half. That guy is just scary.

Posted by: Gack | February 19, 2007 7:57 PM

The "Second Coming" team would be in bad shape, because O'Neal would accidentally shoot Amare in the knee, Nash would be staving off unwanted advances from Kobe, and LeBron would be alternately traveling or whining about a no-call.

So it'd really be a question of how many treys Nash could get off with Kobe chasing him around trying to grope him.

Posted by: Gack | February 19, 2007 8:04 PM

"Granted, this was an exhibition game...."

That's all you have to say right there Mike. Who cares who wins, it's all about the "festivities."

And if you're going to pay for those seats odds are you have a lot of money anyway, right? Lol, get it? Odds? ;)

Ehh, nevermind....

Nobody ever remembers who wins those things anyway. AND if you're going to have them play "for real" then it better be at the END of the season where people don't get hurt and mess up thier teams mid season.

But that's not going to happen, there's too much money to be made in the NBA. Let the players have thier partie(s) and get ready for the second half of the season. It's a LONG season after all!

Found this while surfing for trade rumors:

"Line of the weekend: Michael Wilbon, after another pack of fabric-stretching, gravity-defying women walked by: "America. What a place."

Pickup line of the weekend: A man to some women walking by on the Strip: "Hey b----, I'm Kobe.""

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 19, 2007 8:11 PM

Maybe all that needs to happen is for coaches to coach like coaches should. Put the guys on the floor that are trying. If a player plays no defense, yank him. Forget trying to make sure everyone gets "their minutes."

Posted by: Henry | February 19, 2007 8:52 PM

Amen, Gack! I read today that Lebron played 32 minutes, Wade 24, Bosh 22, and Gil only played 19. Even Jermaine O'Neal and Dwight Howard played more minutes than Gil with over 20.

People criticize Gil because he likes to get a lot of attention. My take: he has to do crazy things to get attention - unlike James, Wade, etc. He's always had to work hard for every little bit of recognition.

On Cold Pizza today, Skip Bayless was coming down on him for the "jump" he did - which the other analysts thought was fabulous and the BEST part of the evening. Bayless said he was a good player but will never be a GREAT player until he wins something. Well, when did James win anything? Have we "witnessed" that yet?? At least, Gil is very down to earth and approachable unlike James who travels with a posse and thinks he is God's Supreme Gift.

Posted by: Lisa | February 19, 2007 9:22 PM

C'mon, it's an all star game. Do you seriously think the fans want to watch a team play defense? Fans want to cheer, and what they want is for the cowards who didn't do the dunk contest (wade and lebron), to show them some dunks. I'll exempt Kobe and VC from the dunk contest b/c at least they had the balls to compete before, and they've won it already.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 19, 2007 9:27 PM

I think the reason why Gil played fewer minutes (Gil played 20, Dwight played 21, Bosh 22, Oneal 23, and Dwayne 24) is because he's the least exciting out of the group.

If anyone watched the game, they saw Gilby shoot 7x 3 pointers with 8 total shots. Everyone else was dunking and streaking. That's what fans want to see, not someone missing long balls from outside.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 19, 2007 9:35 PM

How does the league currently figure out All-Star bonuses?

Money bonuses are one way.

The home court advantage would be a stronger incentive.

Although it would stink to be the losing coach who doesn't have much leverage over the players to begin with, but would almost certainly take the brunt of the blame from the players on the losing team. Could get ugly.

Posted by: JP2 | February 19, 2007 10:18 PM

The current package, including the AS game, dunk contest, 3 point contest, is a deadly bore. You'd think the marketing geniuses who've made the league such a success would be able to think of something better than this. Even the impressionist who for some reason was asked to sing the Star Spangled Banner was horrendous, one of the worst renditions I've ever heard.

I say let Gilbert plan the whole thing next year. I'm sure in 1/2 hour his wacky imagination could come up with something better than the moribund "show" these guys are putting on now.

Posted by: Mitch | February 19, 2007 10:42 PM

"Bayless said he was a good player but will never be a GREAT player until he wins something."

NEVER listen to Skip Bayless. The guy is the bigest fool in sports journalism. He's the only guy I ever emailed to tell him so.

He's ALWAYS wrong.

I don't know if ESPN tells him to be like that but if he thinks something bad about Gil, then it's going to be a blessing for the Wiz.

I can't think of someone I dislike more in brodcasting/journalism. NEVER listen to him.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 19, 2007 10:43 PM

man, i jus came across this blog by chance. all gotta say is this is truth and u should send this to david stern himself.

Posted by: drew | February 19, 2007 11:09 PM

DC Man, you let your hatred for Gilbert get in the way of your thinking. Jordan was the coach so it does not matter how "exciting" James or Wade is/was/could be, Gil would get the minutes if he wanted. Gil's words:

"When I came out I told Eddie, "Don't worry about me, go ahead and keep Joe Johnson in."

"I know how it feels being the odd man out, so I told Eddie to keep him in and let him enjoy himself."

Posted by: Lisa | February 19, 2007 11:32 PM

Uh Mr. Lee, Tim Duncan couldn't be on an international team. He's from the the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Posted by: Geography Rock | February 19, 2007 11:44 PM

thanks lisa, i was going to mention that quote from gilbert

Posted by: hmmmmm | February 19, 2007 11:47 PM

CBell,
DWade would be on the Nike team. If I recall correctly, Converse was on the verge of bancruptcy (if it didn't reach that point), and Nike bought it out, but kept the Converse name. Not that it would really matter, but my guy Hinrich would also be eligible for that squad.

That said, personally, the idea of the shoe companies being involved in the All Star game squad makeups leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They're already rampant in high school, college, AAU ball. Clearly, the pro game is no exception either.

I can't remember where I read it, I believe on FoxSports, via TrueHoop, a suggestion for an All Star weekend tournament that I'm a big proponent of. In a nutshell, it would be American College Attendees v. American Straight from HS players v. Euro Players v. Rest of the World (so Steve Nash would be on this team...I can't recall if Duncan was placed on the College or not, given that he grew up in the US Virgin Islands. You might even make the case that Lu Deng, and soon Benny Gordon, would be on the Euro squad, repping England, as well).

Posted by: iowa city hakeem | February 20, 2007 12:30 AM

It's an all-star game, I mean the game is a means to an end, the end being all the stuff that goes on before it. The fact the game is rarely great anymore doesn't mean jack.

On another note: Queen LeTravel. That is priceless.

Posted by: George Templeton | February 20, 2007 3:27 AM

Lisa, use your brain.

Eddie already saw the idiot Gilby jump off a trampoline, you think he was going to risk anything more with this nut? Eddie knew after Gilby jacked up 7x 3 pointers and only made 2, that it was not his night, and he wasn't going to win the MVP as Gilby said he would, so instead of risking injury and to prevent the prolonging of a shooting slump that carried over from the 1st half of the season, Eddie put Gilby out of his misery.

Gilby took the first shot in the game, where grabbed the tipoff and clanked a 3 pointer! Look at the western conference box score. GILBY GOT MORE MINUTES THAN 4 OF THEIR STARTERS!!!

Look at the minutes again. Only Lebron got clearly more minutes than any other starter, so please, get off your Gilbert lovefest. If the hibachi ain't working, you let someone else cook.

Direct quote from Mike Wise:

"Gilbert Arenas had a very pedestrian night, scoring eight points. There were George Foreman Grills hotter than the hibachi on Sunday night."

Posted by: Dc Man88 | February 20, 2007 7:01 AM

DC Man, Wade only scored 10 points...only 2 more than Gilbert - and every player was clunking them up there. Gilbert never said he was going to be MVP, he said if he was playing well he would go for it for that it was not his night so he did not press.

I don't have a "lovefest" with Gil, I love all our players. I'm just sick of hearing - as I'm sure the others on this blog - about YOUR hatefest with him. You have made your point ad nauseum. We know you hate him...we don't care.

Posted by: Lisa | February 20, 2007 7:40 AM

Lisa, I don't think we ever cared how much better the other players did, as most of them were goofing off, without "MVP dreams." You talked about minutes, so I clarified it for you. I never said Lebron did better, or Dwade did better, or Bosh did better.

But, if you want to run the numbers, Wade shot 42% while Gilby shot 37.5%, 28.5% from 3 point range. Wade took zero 3 point shots, and most of those were probably drives to the hole or short J's, not boring 3 point bombs/clunks that no one wants to see in an all star game. Imagine that, a poing guard on a team jacking up 7x 3 pointers where he should be setting people on his team up to set the tone so they won't get blown out.

If Gilby wants the stardom that he craves, he should step up to the plate. I've never seen someone lobby so hard for himself to start, all to lay an egg in the all star game. It was pitiful.

Last I checked, since you brought up DWade, he has a ring, Gilby doesn't. And, nevermind the fact that DWade and the Heat have eaten Les Boules lunch almost every time they played us. I think they're 13 for 14 against us since Dwade started, and their only win was when neither he nor shaq were playing.

Gilby was tolerable when it was "me against the world," but when he became a hypocrite with his coming out bash, his "Defense ruined my game," his refusable to shoot during a game b/c someone called him a ballhog, etc., that kind of changed my impression of him. I'm not getting on his bandwagon, in fact, I'm not getting on anyone's bandwagon, and I'm sure as heck not going to be a Gilby apologist like most of you people here who label him as "quirky" to exonerate him from his stupid actions.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 8:00 AM

So let's recap the last few weeks. I think first of all it's important to note what Gilbert DIDN'T DO to put the recent events in historical prespective.
(1) Didn't get Arrested or charged with possesion of illegal drugs, driving while impaired, involved in a riot, shooting,possesion of an illegal hand gun, rape or sexual assault.
(2)Didn't demand a trade, demean the DC fans, call out his teammates, team owner, managenent, or the Wizards Dancers
(3) Hasn't started to eat himself out of the league.
(4) Hasn't suffered a season ending injury
that could threaten his career and the team's future
(5) Didn't win the NBA Allstar MVP this weekend. But then again neither did everyone else but Kobe!
(6)And he didn't invite Charles Barkley and/or DCman88 to his million dollar birthday party.
In the historical prespective of the Wizards I really don't think we've had too bad of a couple weeks. Haven't ever seen a team that didn't have some games they mailed in and a dustup between the players and/or the coaching staff during the year. How many times have we had a starter and another player on the Allstar squad? I think this was only the third or 4th time we ever had our coach there.
We're coming out of break with the 3rd best record in the east. AJ looks to be back in a week or two, and Blatch is showing signs of being a real NBA player. Darius Songalia will be a real asset in the Princeton Offense and Booth has been a great pro.
And best of all, Gil has been in a slump and he's hearing everyone of the slights from everyone out there. I think Gil and the rest of the Wiz will be ready to start kicking it in for the stretch drive.

Posted by: GM | February 20, 2007 9:41 AM

(3) Hasn't started to eat himself out of the league.
(4) Hasn't suffered a season ending injury
that could threaten his career and the team's future

Posted by: GM | February 20, 2007 9:48 AM

My sentiments exactly:

"As great a first half as Arenas had, generally, it shouldn't surprise anybody if the key player for the Wizards over these final 32 games is Butler. As Grunfeld said: "Butler is our most consistent player. He just fills up a stat sheet all the time."

And he's also the toughest of the Wizards, physically and emotionally.

There's not a bit of nonsense to him. He'll turn 27 in three weeks, and he's played in enough situations (with Wade, with Kobe Bryant, with Arenas) to understand how to play with a star yet find his own ways to impact a team. Privately, players around the league think they can move Arenas off his game in critical times (see LeBron James talking to Arenas at the foul line in the 2006 playoffs), but there's a certain don't-mess-with-him toughness Butler has developed that ought to serve the Wizards well down the stretch.

"He's very respected in that locker room and very respected on the court," Grunfeld said.

Perhaps Butler is evolving into this team's leader?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 9:59 AM

Lisa, based on your previously comments, I had come to value your opinion. Now that you have admitted to watching Cold Pizza, however, I don't know what to think.

Posted by: Sean | February 20, 2007 10:00 AM

re: GM

(1) Been there, done that in Miami with Avree Storey. His boy Avree also cold cocked a russian guy in the head, causing him to be knocked out, in the D-league and was subsequently cut.

(2) Been there done that. "If Eddie is not reupped, then I'm outta here."

(3) Started to do that, based on reports that his dinner with Tony Parker included deep fried sushi with mayonnaise. Humble pie is filling also.

(4) Only to his ego after the Cleveland playoff loss last year, nevermind to his ego again during the Portland game "Defense? You're talking to me about Defense?" and the all star game where he clearly proved that he deserved to start (tongue in cheek) as a point guard.

(5) Kobe, a guy who backs up what he says.

(6) N/A. I only started to write on this blog after his bash.

Appendix:

"Darius Songalia will be a real asset in the Princeton Offense....

Princeton offense? What dat? We don't run no stinkin' Princeton Offense in DC. No such thang, not with this PG.

"And best of all, Gil has been in a slump and he's hearing everyone of the slights from everyone out there."

Gilby couldn't really care less what is written here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 10:10 AM

Michael - just read your article on Gilbert's marketing strategy, great stuff.

Gilbert has great personality (regardless of what Shaq says) and is making the NBA fun. If you want to torture someone, have them sit through a LeBron James or Dwayne Wade interview.

Posted by: Wei | February 20, 2007 10:33 AM

Lebron "The Global Icon" James. "I wanna be like Muhammed Ali."

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 10:38 AM

That was a great string of vegas blogs from ivan and mike.

the real question is what is the over/under on how many guys got laid pretending to be associated with an NBA team? 400? 500?

i agree that gilbert was not very entertaining at all. the highlight for him had to be his sideline interview with David Aldridge. his "less than likely" comment was pretty funny but other than than he stunk the joint up.

he looked better than Lebron though thats for sure. lebron had more points but he was jacking up some garbage. the off the backboard debacle combined with the many airballs. quite a show you put on there lebron.

shaq needs to be at every all-star game for the next twenty years.

Posted by: Ray Chris. | February 20, 2007 11:14 AM

Lebron, as young as he is, should be in the dunk contest, but he probably has more to lose than to gain. In truth, he's only got 2 dunks. That sale ole' high one hand dunk, and the reverse. Give credit to Kobe and VC for stepping up in the past.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 12:24 PM

Periodically I review this blog - good grief. Washington D.C. is not some small country town! You people act like there is no world beyond the Wizards and Gilbert Arenas!!! How narrow minded and retarded your thinking. There are other teams in the NBA that actually play basketball.

The question at hand is not Gilbert Arenas & his play or lack thereof. He is on his self propelled promotion tour - period. That has nothing to do with recommendations to improve the ALL STAR Game.

If you review the prior All Star games, there's a difference not only in locale but the players attitudes & presence. Wilkins, Kemp, Matumbo, Jordan even Carter - they meant business when they stepped on the court but managed to mix in a bit of lite fun. The goal was to WIN. The East won quite a few of those games year after year. The newer young players do not have the same mindset, attitude nor character. "I'm paid - then I do what I want."

My opnion - The environment plays a HUGE part in their attitude and performance.
Try doing surgery or reading a book in the middle of a circus won't work.
Vegas is the worst place to ask an undisciplined, immature personality to focus. Ain't happening. I felt Vegas was a poor choice but I understand it was political.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2007 12:26 PM

Ray Chris & DC Man88, what are you doing? They are going to run you off this blog.
You are NOT allowed to say anything negative about Gilbert Arenas. Although the guy is - a virtual press prostitue. The Anna Nicole of the Wizards. He seeks out every microphone, camera, reporter or writer to show up - he digs in his closet pulls out some trick or stunt. The hollywood stars feel they are hounded by the paparrazi? Gilbert..hides in the bushes & attacks the paparrazi. Hopefully, he'll find his shot in those bushes.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2007 12:48 PM

Posted by: Gack | February 20, 2007 12:53 PM

Yes, by someone who can't even post his name. This is a Wizards blog by the way....you nameless person.

Posted by: Lisa | February 20, 2007 12:58 PM

Geez....Gilbert bashing galore in here. Sorry the Wiz have a charismatic, prime time player who just happens to be in a slump. Big deal! He also happens to be respected by non-other than the almighty Kobe for his work ethic, which is why he should not be a shooting star...haha I like that pun.

Las Vegas equals too many parties and poor basketball. So, different venue is step 1. Also, the competitors play a part. If they don't have the pride/competetiveness/caring to make it comepetive, then it won't be. Bird, Jordan, Magic, etc...they had fun, but I don't think they played this sloppy ever.
I am a Chauncey Billups fan now!

Posted by: Rob P | February 20, 2007 1:40 PM

DCman88, I'm not going to get involved in a rant with you. If you go back and read my message it starts "with let's recap the last couple of weeks". As far as I can tell Story has nothing to do with the Wizards this season at all. I don't even think he was in camp.
Gil's birthday party applies for one reason and one reason only. You can't quit bringing it up! Go back and read a few of your rants and see how many times you've brought it up.
If you have been following this team as long as I have you might find some humor in comparing where we are today with some of the past events that ruined seasons around here.
I started logging on hear just a few weeks ago, it was a fun place to talk about basketball with people that care about the Wizards. A place to share your opinion, and read about the opinions of others. Hey, Ray and I have different opinions about Eddie Jordan but we don't call each other names.
I've seen you get it to it with others on this site and you always resort to calling people names and make accusations of homsexuality. This is an Adult site where teen age put downs and rants aren't found to be funny by many.
I'm 50 years old and run my own business, I have no time for someone who insists on over and over trying to start fights on this blog because it gets him off!

Posted by: GM | February 20, 2007 1:42 PM

"Sad, but looks like another great hangout for Wiz fans has fallen by the wayside."

Guys/girls.

Ignore the fools who come here, good grief.

Before I even read a blog I look to see who wrote it. If I recognize it as someone who is trying to start BS then I just DON'T READ IT.

That's why I only quote many of you who have been here since the beginning.

Stop getting sucked into that stuff, it's a total waste of time. That's what they're trying to do, to pi$$ you off.

Com'on now, Lisa and all the others. You're better then that. Just ignore those people and eventually they will go away.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 20, 2007 1:44 PM

"Hey, Ray and I have different opinions about Eddie Jordan but we don't call each other names."

That's what you think. ;);)

Totally kidding GM!

Just ignore those guys, they are only happy when you angry. It's what they are trying to do.

Trust your fellow blogger! :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 20, 2007 1:47 PM

Lisa, wanted to give you props for the LeBron comeback to Skip Bayless' comments. There is some truth there, but at the same time LeBron has been anointed since day one and I think his attitude sucks.

Gilbert just needs to learn how to make his TEAM better and everything else will follow including a championship, hopefully. Then again Charles Barkley was a great player and he did not win anything either.

Posted by: Rob P | February 20, 2007 1:51 PM

I echo Ray's comments above. We don't own this blog -- anyone can post here as long as they keep it clean. But, like Ray, I read the poster's name before reading a post, and read only those posts written by people who tend to be good contributors.
Keep the good comments coming.

Posted by: Joe | February 20, 2007 2:32 PM

Thanks Ray, Hope the Wiz come out ready to play tonight. From the some of the stories about the weekend that are circulating this morning I think Eddie will be really glad that this is all behind them and none of our guys were at the wrong party.

Posted by: GM | February 20, 2007 2:48 PM

DCMann88, I agree with GM.

Your comments are not appropriate for a public blog. Albeit some of your comments might have some validity to them but its lost in all of the profanity and other vulgar comments. Its inappropriate language towards individuals you don't know. You don't have to like the Wizards - that's your perogative but you don't get to verbally assault others at will.

Please refrain from the language and abusive language then we as a community can hopefull get along. That is what a democracy is about. Thanks.

Posted by: JP | February 20, 2007 2:55 PM

DCMann88, I agree with GM.

Please refrain from the abusive language then we as a community can hopefully get along. That is what community is: different people coming together with different ideas, dreams, minds and opinions.

changed last part a bit.

Posted by: JP | February 20, 2007 3:05 PM

It is a meaningless exhibition game where the players are more worried about their parties. I'm all for giving them the weekend off from a very long season.

And if you spent $400 on an allstar game ticket you probably not too concern with the basketball game as you are networking and being seen.

Posted by: dc | February 20, 2007 3:07 PM

GM, my response to your list of points was mostly tongue in cheek.

JP, if you care to, you can reread some of the old posts written by everyone and you'll notice that I did not initiate any of the namecalling, but only resorted to after people made derogatory comments about me. If they want to play that game, I can take it up several notches. I started my comments very clean.

As I recall, names such as j#rkoff and other things I don't care to rehash were used. I suggest you offer up the same suggestions to other people that you offered to me. If people don't like me bashing Gilbert cleanly, as I do, then the shouldn't be blogging period.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 3:19 PM

For all you Gilby apologists and star struck fans of Gilby, here's Wilbon's take on your idol from today's chathouse:

------------------------------------------

Matt: Welcome back Mike. Hope you had a blast at "Black Thanksgiving" (arguably one of the better sayings you've ever uttered).

Quick question on Shaq and Gilbert. I saw a quote from Shaq quickly denying Gilbert's assertion that his antics made him "like a little Shaq." Saying that only Kobe, D-Wade or LeBron could make such a statement and saying it rather dismissively towards Arenas. I also noticed Shaq doing the Mutombo finger wag at Gilbert while Gil was showboating for the crowd a bit after his first round in the three-point contest. Is there some beef between the two? Does Shaq not appreciate Gil's antics? If anyone could, I would think it would be Shaq.

Michael Wilbon: Shaq's hazing him a little bit, which I think is good. Gilbert hasn't won at the level of Shaq or Dikembe or Kobe...not that LeBron's won anything either. But Gilbert's not a member of that elite club just yet, as recent beat-downs by first-tier players should remind everybody. Gil's a great player, but the top players only accept you into the club when you've performed at an A-plus level in the playoffs for awhile, and Gil has yet to do that. Good for Shaq for issuing a little reminder.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 3:22 PM

"Gil's a great player, but the top players only accept you into the club when you've performed at an A-plus level in the playoffs for awhile, and Gil has yet to do that."

Right, that's why LeTravel and Carmelo are "accepted into the club".

Don't parade Wilbon's words around here as if he's a local, or someone whose views we should respect. He's a hopelessly homesick Chi-town transplant who would have left years ago if the Post wasn't already his gravy train.

Posted by: Gack | February 20, 2007 3:31 PM

Ray, you're right on. There are 32 more games in the regular season... maybe the folks in this blog are in a slump too (no Jamison to pick apart for his lack of D, right?).

We make this blog what it is from our observations and it's time to make it good as it's always been.

I hope the Wiz are feeling good from 1 through 12, that Jamison comes back healthy but rested, that Booth and Blatche continue to improve, that Songaila gets the rust off, that Gilbert finds his shooting touch, Arvis finds his J and the slashing moves he had before his knee problems, and so on.

And that Caron Butler just keeps on doin' the damn thing.

Hell, I hope the bout between Poet and Haywood means both of them are riled up when they step on the floor. I could care less about whether they talk with or appreciate each other. Just produce, and to quote Al Davis, JUST WIN, BABY.

It all starts tonight.

Posted by: iceberg | February 20, 2007 4:02 PM

"It all starts tonight."

That's funny iceberg, I was thinking the same thing about tonight's game.

Coming out of the break this game is going to set the pace until at least Jamison comes back.

Crazy to think tonight's game is a "must win" but it is. Garnett is going to get his numbers and has killed the Wiz in the past, but they have to stay focused.

We'll see I guess.

Hopefully they win just play and win. :)

On a side note, lots of "Etan" rumors flying around out there but I think it might be the off-season before you see one of those guys get moved.

Go Wiz!!!

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 20, 2007 5:36 PM

"Don't parade Wilbon's words around here as if he's a local..."

Being local or not has nothing to do with anything. He was at the festivities, unlike you and me, so do you think you're opinion has more credibility than his?

Wilbon's a sportswriter, and so is Mike Wise. They all agree Gilbert isn't there yet. If you find a local guy, he's going to be a homer (George Michael) just like everyone else here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 20, 2007 6:32 PM

Great game so far. Gilbert's having a really complete game including some highlight reel, whirling dervish-type penetration layups, and Andray is really doing a fantastic job on KG.

I think we shot 54% in the first half.

Posted by: Gack | February 20, 2007 8:23 PM

"Andray is really doing a fantastic job on KG."

Him and Songaila both did a good job on KG, we'll see what happens on Sunday when they play next. I hate Sunday games. :(

The Wiz really stepped up thier D tonight, that was a good sign. Also everyone looked fresh. You know what's really cool is we're all watching Andray develope right before our eyes. He gets better and better every game he plays.

One thing with Jamison being hurt is the bench rotations are starting to get worked out. Etan played a lot tonight, no Booth or Ruffin.

This team has a glutton on "bigs" all of a sudden where the beginning of the season they literally had none.

I'm happy for this year, but geeze Pecherov will be on the roster and another year under everyone's belt....

I hope for this year, but next year REALLY has me just as excited as well. :)

Mark the 28th on your calendar, that's when the Wiz play the Heat.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 20, 2007 9:44 PM

I mean Sunday when they play Minnesota again. They play Sac here on Thursday.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 20, 2007 9:46 PM

To Whom It May Concern (you know who I am talking to): George Michael was not born in the DC area. He's from St. Louis. So definitely cannot be called a "local." As far as Wilbon and Wise, until they start reporting EXCLUSIVELY on the Wizards then they know little more than we do. So sick of hearing their opinion revered by "you know who" as "God Like."

It's so sad that Gilbert is not tough and can't score....(HA!)

Great win, Wiz (And Gilbert)!

Posted by: Lisa | February 20, 2007 10:07 PM

"It all starts tonight"

Wish I had posted this first. Couldn't agree more. My feeling is tonight's game sets the pace for the next couple of weeks until Jamison's return. Rough final couple of minutes, but otherwise pretty satisfying win. Still no hibachi, but plenty of points from Gil anyway. I'll probably be scorched, but I think Arvis had a good game - two or three in a row now. Still no jump shot, but showed some poise and contributed nicely - 8 pts, 4 rbs, 2 asssists in limited minutes.

Posted by: reispace | February 20, 2007 10:10 PM

Ray, I was really impressed with D-Song's crisp zip passes to wide-open backdoor cutters, and I thought his touch was coming back, but I have to say I felt KG abused him to a certain degree. Something about the gangly tallness that Dray brings to the table really seemed to bother Garnett tonight and I don't think D-Song had the same mojo working. Someone else who is better with the game flow +/- can tell me if I'm right or if it was just an off-base analysis.

Still, a really solid win, and a great way to start off the second half. The Hibachi seemed pretty warm tonight and DeShawn was utterly in the zone.

Can't wait to see how the Hater Brigade tries to spin this one...

Posted by: Gack | February 20, 2007 10:27 PM

Reispace: no, Arvis *DID* have a good night. As you said, still missed some WIDE open jumpers, but he got a lot of hustle buckets inside, including once where he was blocked while going to the hoop (!), got his own rejection back (!!) and scored in traffic (!!!).

I know this will light Mike on fire, but The Poet played with purpose tonight and had some *really* tough shots go down. He seemed angry, and that was working for him. It was satisfying to see us outrebound a team like the Wolves.

Posted by: Gack | February 20, 2007 10:34 PM

Is this the first time Eddie left Andray in the game for the final four minutes with the game still on the line? Didn't do too bad at all - two key rebounds, a follow-on shot, and one silly foul - if memory serves - don't have Tivo :(

Posted by: reispace | February 20, 2007 10:56 PM

skip bayless is a moron. i agree wholeheartedly. i think that's how espn tells him to act though. same deal as woody, the guy from denver post

Posted by: ct fan | February 20, 2007 11:20 PM

Reispace, your memory sounds right to me.

I'd be curious to know too how many times Blatche caused Garnett to adjust (and miss) shots, or get a TO for things like travelling. I counted about 5 times where Blatche stopped Garnett. Ray is probably right though that Blatche benefitted from low-expectations on Garnett's side. I think he got KG's attention though. He definitely got into his head. Sunday will be a good follow-up.

Andray also had 12 rebounds in 25 minutes against an OK team. That's another strong plus.

All around a good game for the Wiz. Something to build on.

Posted by: JP2 | February 21, 2007 12:02 AM

Back from Vegas & Gil was subdued..but then so was every1 on the east except Lebron.

The guys were up & down but looks like Caron had stage fright.

Anyhow, back to the real world & Andray is slowly but surely coming along.

The depth on this team could serve us well in the last part of the year.

Sending waves of 6'9"-6'11" guys @ the opposition could prove to be our strangth.

& Ray's words of wisdom should be contagious!

Posted by: Victor | February 21, 2007 12:21 AM

Someone call CSI ... The East got murdered!

Posted by: Oz | February 21, 2007 12:48 AM

Blatche did pretty well yesterday, which is good for him. He pretty much played toe to toe with KG, but KG wore him out at the end b/c KG's got a bit more mass, nevermind experience. KG was pretty much a one man team last night.

I think Blatche needs to bulk up a bit, and he'll be fine. I'm not sure why someone here was blasting Blatche and saying he was a wasted draft pick and should be traded. I just hope that when AJ comes back, that EJ doesn't screw up the rotation again and Blatche goes back to garbage time.

George Michael has been broadcasting in this area for so long that his tenure is probably longer and older than your wigs Lisa. Most people already know that he's from St. Louis, if you've ever watched his newscasts, b/c he was cheering for the Billikens during one year when they were in the big dance when Larry Hughes was on the team.

I think if you're so sick of Wilbon and Wise, maybe you shouldn't surf their company's website anymore. These guys don't do the beat anymore. They are beyond that and have earned their stripes already.

Even if you don't listen to these two guys, you can listen to Aldridge, Dupree, Barkley, and Kenny Smith about Les Boules and Arenas. Geez, that sounds like a consensus by the experts. A bunch of NBA reporters and player vets' opinions vs. poor little Lisa. Oh, wonder who's got more credibility. Duh...

Wilbon is doing NBA nonstop until June, and has done more basketball than the letters you've ever typed on this blog. Maybe if you think so highly of your own analysis, and don't consider them experts, you should start your own newspaper.

"It's so sad that Gilbert is not tough and can't score....(HA!)"

Duh Lisa, you're a moron. As if I or anyone didn't know that by Arenas being the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA, nevermind his 60 pt game, that he can put the ball in the hole. Too bad that as point guard though, he should have more assiss and fewer turnovers. Stuff a sock in it Lisa, and go do your nails. Duh...

Posted by: Dc Man88 | February 21, 2007 6:54 AM

DC Child (because you sure ain't a man) - are you even over 18? This is the last time I will address you because it's like talking to a child with a temper tantrum - whenever your opinions are threatened you resort to calling people names (like homosexual, MORON, etc.) Hideous.

I never said that I did not like Wilbon and Wise - I simply said their word is not GOLD. Never said my opinion was right either - it's simply MY opinion.

Because I am a "Woman" and do not share your opinion (as few do on here) of Gilbert you are telling me that I can go do my nails....well, you can go do whatever it is that children do.

After this I refuse to lower myself to your level by responding to your insults or even reading your comments.

Posted by: Lisa | February 21, 2007 7:40 AM

What a great workmanlike win for the Wizards. Gotta agree with Ray these first 6 games after the Allstar break are big for setting the tone for the second half of season. With last night's W the Wiz are now 3 and 4 since AJ went down. Most of the experts said they would be ok if they could play 500 ball til AJ got back.
I sometimes get to the games early, when you drive as far as I do you got to allow some extra time. The one thing that has impressed me all season is that almost every time I've got in the arena early Phil Hubbard and Wes Unseld Jr. have been out there working with Blatch and Haywood. I think overall Haywood is having one of his better seasons and the work that Blatch has been putting in is really starting to show. What a game he had last night. Great stat line, but it was the little things he was doing that really impressed me.
One of the most impressive things was that he with stood Garnett's early jawing and I'm going to destroy you glare. I've seen guys just wilt and go into a shell and hope that no one notices that they are on the court under that pressure. But Andray really competed, there was ALOT of jawing going on down there, too bad the rematch Sunday won't be on TV.
I think 9 players got over 14 minutes last night. Gil was 1 of 7 from 3 point line, but 11 from 17 on the rest of his shots. Some great drives to the basket and Eddie did get him off the ball a little. And great to see Gil adjust and go to the hole more and shoot some short jumpers. Songalia looked great running the Princeton from the high post!
Suddenly we have some depth up front! But why? why! why? did Eddie go to small ball in the 4th? Turned the game into a close one when it really shouldn't have been. This isn't college ball where they will start to foul with 5 minutes left and you want your shooters in. We give up way too many offensive rebounds out of thoose sets.
I'm beginning to think if Eddie could clone himself he'd put his 5 clones out there at the end thinking it would make a perfect team!
DCman88 could you PLEASE read your blogs before hitting the send button! If you're stating your opinions, fine! But if you've used terms that others may find offensive then take a moment and re-write. You have some legit points to make but they get lost in your putdowns. Duh, Lisa you're a Moron? Not really the best debating form. I guess now you'll call me a Fudgepacker what ever that is.
Lisa, Ray's right, the rest of us repect your opinion don't let DCman88's insults get under your skin.

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 8:07 AM

Lisa - You go girl!

Posted by: pk1 | February 21, 2007 8:08 AM

Oh wow Lisa, you called me a child and yourself a woman. Gosh... Geez.... Man.... Crushing....

Posted by: Dc Man88 | February 21, 2007 8:40 AM

Scratch the whole game. It's a nice honor and should stop there. It can be moved to the end of the season or not. It's really the recognition that any of these players want.

So just do like the ncaa does and name an all-star team (or all-conference type of team)

They get the recognition without havning to participate in something they don't want to do anyway.

Posted by: Jake | February 21, 2007 8:41 AM

GM, I seem your point, but some people on this board, like Lisa, make it a point to try to get at me, without having anything of substance. Take a read at her input to see how ridiculous it is:

------------------------------------------

It's so sad that Gilbert is not tough and can't score....(HA!)

-------------------------------------------

How can someone respond to that? "I revere a reporter whom I deem as Godlike" just b/c I use their expert opinions to back my arguments? Lisa is a strange person and a strange "thinker."

Then, to top it off, trying to be cute by implying that I said Gilbert can't score? Nevermind the fact that everybody knows he's the second leading scorer right now. Huh?

Earlier, she equated the Skins with les Boules, in trying to draw an analogy that spending money doesn't do anything for a franchise. This was her point, nevermind the fact that she was comparing a team managed by Cerrato (a bank teller) compared to a team managed by Grunfeld (MBA/CFA/Investment Banker quality).

Lisa's thinking is from left field and very simplistic. Lisa, sit back and enjoy your apple juice while watching the games and just enjoy the simple things such as the ball going bouncey bouncey and the cool swish it makes when gilby lofts it into the hoop. Don't forget your bib in case you start to drool everytime you see Gilby flash his million dollar smile. Yay!

Posted by: Dc Man88 | February 21, 2007 8:55 AM

Great game. My only complaint is the wasted 7 minutes Michael Ruffin played. Completely ineffective. Jarvis even played well (did I say something good about Jarvis?). Another growing concern to me is the lack of a 3 pt. attack without Gilbert hitting and without Jamison. Maybe Mike or Ivan can ask Ernie about adding a legit 3 pt. shooter.

Posted by: C.Bell | February 21, 2007 9:07 AM

Wow, Minnesota stinks. I stopped watching early in the second half (until the very end) because it was clear the Wizards would win. When Ricky Davis is your number 2 option, you are in trouble. There are probably half a dozen posters on this blog who could do a better job than McHale. A couple of other thoughts:
- Caron has struggle of late. Did Hassell do that good a job on him last night?
- Good point by GM about Jordan going smallball in the 4th (and going -5 early in that stretch, +4 for the remainder). He just won't give up on that strategy, will he?
- Reispace makes a good point about Hayes. Jordan actually has used Hayes properly in the last few games -- minutes in the teens, playing SF or SG. Is that why he has played better?

Posted by: Henry | February 21, 2007 9:54 AM

I was surprised to see the great shooting by DeShawn "The Defensive Stopper" Stevens. He was more efficient than Gilby last night, and was high energy.

DS: 9-11, 23 pts.
GA: 12-24, 38 pts.

Gilby was going hard to the hole though, shooting 15 free throws, but is still slumping from downtown, only making 1-8. Once again, I can't figure out EJ's rotation. Calvin Booth, who has been playing well, was a DNP-Coaches Decision.

Posted by: Dc Man88 | February 21, 2007 9:55 AM

The only wasted minutes around here are the ones DCmang is involved with. Ruffin is working his way back from injury, and I think spelling Blatche is an OK role for him considering Songaila is also recovering. I was happy to see that he was in with Etan or Brendan instead of going in as the 'center'. Plus I need him to play so I can wear his jersey :)

Was glad to see that they came out aggressive in the first quarter. I think they really were coming out flat early prior to the break.

I just took a look at Gilbert's stats (i think someone here made a point about them) anyway... He is averaging 29pts, 6 assists, 3.5 TO per game in 40.6 minutes to shoot 42% from the field. While I would love to see less turn overs he does play the point, and you have to expect that playing that position makes is going to mean more TO. But comparative to other PGs in the league his numbers hold up nicely.

Wade is averaging 4.2 TO, with 7.8 assists. Kidd has 8.7 assist pg, 2.8 TO, but only 14.3 ppg (which is basically half of GA's). Nash is averaging 3.7 TO, 11.8 assists, and 19.2 points.
AI is averaging 4.3 TO, 7.5 assists, and 28.8 ppg.
Parker 2.6 TO, 5.5 assists, 18.9ppg.

The point is his numbers are basically on par with all of the elite PGs in the league. You don't have to like the way he plays, but I think any PG in the league would take his stats and be thrilled. 6 assists isn't shabby, 3.5 TO isn't horrid.

How about that Haywood dunk? Lisa just posterized somebody!

Posted by: greg | February 21, 2007 10:07 AM

Ray is always calling for big lineups, did you notice in the 2nd when Ruffin was in EJ had Etan, Blatch, Ruffin, Jarvis and Daniels out there together? Different...
Playing at shooting gaurd and small forward is doing wonders for Jarvis Hayes confidence. He made some good decisions with the ball last night. Who's going to be left to blame things on? He may never be the kind of player that you would hope for from a top 10 pick, but he could be a solid rotation player for us.
Right now with out AJ and Gil cold from 3 pt. land I agree that is a weakness at the moment. I'm surprised more teams aren't sliding off their guys to help like Portland did and packing the lane til we hurt them from outside again.

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 10:29 AM

Yo Greg,

Re Haywood posterizing folks: that's what I'm talking about with Haywood. It seems he only plays well when he's angry.

Somebody tell Haywood he's been kicked off the Eastern Motors commercials -- and being replaced by Biz Markie and TJ Swan.

Man, he'll be so sysed, he'll put the Wiz on his back and carry 'em!!

Posted by: iceberg | February 21, 2007 10:31 AM

I think EJ went with small ball at the end due to the slow rotations on defense and those wide open threes we were giving up on the baseline (Foye knocked down two in a row). Not that I am a fan of smallball, but I think that was Eddie's reasoning at that point. I guess he was willing to trade offensive rebounds and putbacks for wide open threes at that point considering we were up by ten.

As for a three point threat, we have one in Roger Mason Jr., who was deactivated last night. He has shown that he can knock em down with consistency. I would like to see him get a few spot minutes just to stretch the defense and give us another option out there. If he can improve his defense a little bit, I can see him as a Luther Head type of contributor that Houston has coming off the bench.

Posted by: gvp | February 21, 2007 10:47 AM

Those are great numbers for DWade, especially since he's not even the point guard on the team (Payton is), and Shaq's been out most of the season. Dwade's essentially 13 for 13 against Les Boules, as he was hurt (Shaq too) during the first game this season where Les Boules won.

And AI, even better, since he's been traditionally a ballhog, but still manages 7.8 assists. AI actually increased his assists average after joining Denver, where Blake is the PG.

Kidd has always been a pass first guard, which is why EJ loves him. That's what a point guard is for, to run the team, not take all the shots. It's actually amazing what nice numbers Kidd has, because the Nets are essentially a two man team, Kidd and Vince Carter.

Nash? Two MVPs...can't touch him, especially after the clinic he ran two weeks ago at Verizon. I can't speak much on Parker, but he's got two rings I think, so he must be doing something right.

Gilbert a point guard? Only in people's dreams. He's a short shooting guard that bring the ball up the court and lobs bombs. Nice numbers though, but he needs to prove that he won't choke during the playoffs and psyche himself out like he did against the Lakers this year at Verizon, and against Lebron during last year's playoffs.

Hibacchhhhhiiii!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 21, 2007 12:41 PM

First time watching Foye play a whole game in the pros and I have to say, McHale blew it again. Didn't he have Roy and swapped him for Foye? Roy is a much better player w/ a more well rounded game and is bigger to boot.

It's a shame that KG doesn't have any real support on that team. Realistically, KG is better as the 2nd option on a great team, not the 1st as many want him to be. He needs to play w/ a major scorer in the mold of Kobe, Gil, Melo, etc... to be at his best. That isn't going to happen in Minny though.

Posted by: Going G.A.G.A. over Gilbert | February 21, 2007 1:01 PM

Anchorage, AK

Feb 21 Today
Sunny and windy. Cold. High around 15F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph.
Feb 21 Tonight
Mainly clear skies. Cold. Low around -5F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
Feb 22 Tomorrow
A mainly sunny sky. Cold. High around 10F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
Feb 22 Tomorrow night
Bitterly cold. A mostly clear sky. Low -7F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
Feb 23 Friday
Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper single digits and lows -6 to -10F.
Feb 24 Saturday
Sunshine. Highs in the mid teens and lows 1 to -3F.
Feb 25 Sunday
Sunshine. Highs in the low 20s and lows in the low single digits.

Posted by: loco mullin | February 21, 2007 1:13 PM

Blatche is starting to find his way around the court and earning his minutes w/ his play. Still, about 3 or 4 times last night, he got a rebound and decided to take the ball upcourt when Gil or another guard was right there waiting. One of those times, he just lost the ball trying to make a move and slipped. He needs to play good, smart ball w/o trying to be a point forward right now. There'll be plenty of time for that - his future looks very very bright indeed and he's showing it.

Posted by: Going G.A.G.A. over Gilbert | February 21, 2007 1:15 PM

Lisa, chill. He's egging you on and you're biting. Just ignore him.

"...but I have to say I felt KG abused him to a certain degree."

Yeah, but KG usually kills the Wiz. I mean it's KG! :)

"Wow, Minnesota stinks."

Yeah, makes you feel bad for KG doesn't it? All that talent just going to waste. The thing is you know the guy isn't giving everything he can to his team. He'll be traded in the offseason for sure, at least he should be.

"Ray is always calling for big lineups."

They had Blatche and Haywood out there a lot on KG, that's TWO seven footers! The lineup you gave isn't that small, unless that's what you're trying to convey. My thing is this...unless it's Shaq you just can't just put one big guy out there and expect him to guard the rim with 4 small dudes. I thought they did a real good job on KG last night. But as Henry says I thought Minnesota kinda sucks also.

The 28th against the Heat is the real test.

I also thought Gil had a decent game last night. He'll be fine. I liked tha fact he went to the hole more then in recent games.

"There'll be plenty of time for that - his future looks very very bright indeed and he's showing it."

Blatche looks better and better every game he plays. Just remember, Kobe and KG didn't blossom until thier 3rd NBA season. The only thing that will hurt him is playing time when Jamison comes back. But geeze, he's gotta be your 6th man in now. Otherwise it's a waste.

"It seems he only plays well when he's angry."

Lol, yeah I have to agree you finally on this ice. I know Gil should be able to aggrivate him for 10 points a game if he tried. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 21, 2007 1:31 PM

GM, Did you call into Sports Talk 980 this afternoon? Somebody called in with your same thoughts. Thanks DC Man88 for keepin it clean. I can tell you were born for adversity - keep it clean and have fun. Blatch is a little Minnie KG. Keep training and building him up --- he will come. Heard Phil Jackson today. Lakers depleted by more injuries..would like Kidd but Kupcheck prob won't make it happen. Says because of injuries -they prob won't make playoffs. Also, looks like no running with the Bulls this playoff season. The Bulls have packed it in - Injuries & poor performance from Big Ben - Skiles disturbed. Will try to salvage the season. With Le Bron's attitude - they might as well have injuries..nobody can stand playing with him - not even the coach.

The Wiz are fortunate..only Jamison is injured. The season is there for the taking.

Posted by: JP | February 21, 2007 1:55 PM

"Gil had a decent game last night"

Damn, I can just feel the love for Gil. You know you can't hide it!

Speaking of love for Gilbert, I liked KG's comments:

"He's entertainment," Garnett said. "Not a lot of hype. Things Gilbert does is a lot of fact. Gets buckets. He's the reason that team wins when they win. ... He, at times, man, is a little bit over the top. But he's well-deserving of everything."

Seems that KG gets it -- a player can be both entertaining and productive.

Posted by: burke | February 21, 2007 2:54 PM

Interesting, in your way of thinking I guess Nate "Tiny" Archibald wasn't a point gaurd. Or "Pistol Pete" and Gail Goodrich or most of all Oscar Robinson? All of these guys plus many others played the point and were big time scorers.
Gil should drive and dish or drive and score more often. But if you remember when he came to the Wizards lack of shooting range was supposed to be the big weakness of his game. He has worked to become a more complete player, expanding his shooting range, improving his ballhandling, and his defense each year.
I don't think that anyone can deny that Gil has worked on his game every year and has came back with new looks and improvements.Take a look at the steady rise in his statistics. I find it interesting that you make the comparison to Kidd and Nash who are both more veteran gaurds. Compare each of them at a similar age and you'll find that Dallas thought they couldn't win with either of them. I think that I clearly remember people calling Kidd a poison when he was there. And Nash had a score first no D rep. and Dallas let him walk.
Wade has fantastic numbers and is a great player and he's not a point per say. But he clearly points out that if a team's leading scorer averages 25 points or more a game then he will handle the ball alot no matter what position he plays. Jordan handled the ball a majority of the time but he really wasn't a point in the Bulls system.
Wade is the young player that also got the added advantage of getting himself paired with Shaq and Pat Riley. I think you could reasonably say that, LeBron, Carmelo or Gil may have a ring if they switched teams with Wade.
Gil's game is not without flaws, in my opinion he could make the team better as he learns to trust his teammates and becomes a little better distributor. He could also improve his man-up defense and not gamble for steals so often. With his overall body strength,quickness and the great hand eye coordination he has the talent to be a shutdown defender. That is a skill and desire that has to be learned. Having Stevenson on the team is a big step in that direction, I see Butler and Gil both playing better man-up D.
The great thing about Gil is we haven't seen the full package yet. I don't think there's anyone in basketball that doesn't marvel at his work effort. This is a team in the construction stages, where they're at now isn't where they're going. I don't think that EG came here just to win 40 couple games a year and go to the first round of the playoff.
When Gil is Kidd's age get back to me, we'll see who the bigger winner is. And by the way isn't Jason on the trade block again? Dallas, The Suns, The Nets, how many titles? And for that matter how many times has Nash and his run and shoot style gotten to the finals.
EG is smart enough to realize that the Wiz need to develope an inside game to go with Gil to get this team where it wants to go.

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 3:04 PM

JP, no it wasn't me, but I sure hope who every it was didn't sound like a dumbass!

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 3:10 PM

"Gil's game is not without flaws, in my opinion he could make the team better as he learns to trust his teammates and becomes a little better distributor."

I'm not so sure I can buy that excuse though. I wouldn't pass the ball to Etan, but why wouldn't he trust Antawn and Caron? It's one thing driving and taking a tough shot, another thing just dribbling down the court and launching a 3 without even making one pass.

I think Gilby is what Gilby is, just like any other guard out there, in that if your schtick isn't passing the ball and setting people up, you may get better, but it will never be instinct or the first option in your mind. Gilby gets a majority of his assists by passing to someone on the wing for a long J, not setting someone up in the Princeton offense or pick and rolls.

Dwade deserves a lot of credit b/c he deferred to Shaq when he arrived, but still got his job done with great numbers. Gilby's game would be more palatable if he didn't have such poor shot selection, nevermind his antics.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 21, 2007 3:22 PM

When you're being compared to Kidd and Wade, and more or less holding your own, it can't be all that bad. As matter of fact, there at least 25 other teams that would take a player like that. And that's all greg meant when he posted, but I suppose common sense is lost when you're drinking Haterade.

Posted by: Going G.A.G.A. over Gilbert | February 21, 2007 3:56 PM

"I think what Gilby is what Gilby is" I don't know there's always hope for people to change and learn and improve. You've posted two straight posts without insulting anyone, so people can change!
Gilbert's history in this league tells me that he will continue to learn and grow. Look at the steady progression of his stats from year to year. I've been watching this team since Pearl Monroe's rookie year and I've not seen a player with Gil's offensive genius playing for this franchise since "The Pearl" took his game to NY.
You don't have to like the guy, but his game should earn respect for what it is.

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 5:25 PM

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 5:30 PM

"I suppose common sense is lost when you're drinking Haterade"

The same applies when you're drinking the Gilby Kool-Aid, especially coming from someone who's name is "Going G.A.G.A. over Gilbert." As if we can really expect an unbiased opinion form this dude.

"You've posted two straight posts without insulting anyone, so people can change!"

It takes two to tango. I don't just go off without being provoked.

"I guess now you'll call me a Fudgepacker what ever that is."

Just to clarify this previous question, if I may....Imagine you are John Amaechi and you just had a big meal. A few hours later, your boyfriend comes over for a nightcap, and your just about done, but not quite, digesting your food. Let your imagination take it from here.... :-)

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 21, 2007 5:46 PM

"It is good, though, to see a Wizard's team with enough talent that 38 points gets a yawn and a "decent game"."

Lol, I just meant he had a good game compared to what others were writing. He hit some good shots and as a whole he played better then he had the last few games.

Yeah 38 points is crazy good, but with Gil you have to focus on so much more. I"m still figuring out if that's good or bad. But I agree, it's nice to see Washington talk about 38 points as "decent." :)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | February 21, 2007 6:47 PM

GM, you spoke too soon....

Posted by: Lisa | February 21, 2007 7:10 PM

Well I guess two out of three ain't bad. I guess I'm the glass is half full kind of guy.

Posted by: GM | February 21, 2007 7:29 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 21, 2007 9:43 PM

I thought LeBron played like a bum. He scored all those points because he kept heaving up shots. But he didn't attempt to grab one rebound. He was floor-bound unless he was attempting to throw ridiculous self-alley oops.

Posted by: Colin | February 21, 2007 11:30 PM

Lebron should have saved his dunk antics for the dunk contest, but he was too chicken to participate. He's got more to lose than to gain understandably, but for sure, it'll be a cloud hanging over his head if he doesn't do it b/c all the great high flyers have done it, especially the guys with Nike (VC & MJ). Kobe did it with a different shoe sponser. Even Tmac and Stevie Franchise have tried.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 22, 2007 7:00 AM

I readily admit I'm a BIG fan of Gil b/c I've been a fan of the franchise since the early 80's and he's been our best player by far.

Is he the best NBA player currently? No, he is NOT. I'm not deluded to think that he is b/c he needs to refine his game further to get to that pinnacle. That's OK though, he's still very young and always trying to improve.

Some of his methods (midnight practices, over the top attitude, etc...) may drive teammates and fans batty at times but he's probably a little misunderstood at times too. That's his quirkiness and character showing and many times I find that to be refreshing. Other times, I'd really wish he'd just shutup and just play and make people take notice instead.

He needs to improve on his passing, not necessarily technique or visionwise per se, but more trusting in his teammates. Look how he always passes to Jamison and to a slightly lesser extent, Butler and Stevenson. That shows trust in them b/c he's more or less comfortable w/ them. If he reaches that level w/ all players on the floor, then he'll be that much more of a threat as a passer on the floor as a scorer.

He definitely needs to drive more to the hole since he's such a great talent w/ that AND he initiates contact so well while finishing. This puts tremendous pressure on the opposing team and creates more shots for his teammates. Another thing about his drives to the hole: Gil needs to shift speeds more AND on some drives, it would help if he'd drive in a less linear path to the bucket. He tends to go STRAIGHT to the hole whereas you'll see Wade and Nash weave/curl around defensive players to make it that much harder for the defense to know where they're going lessening the charge calls. It's subtle but very effective, coupled w/ Gil's unparalleled quickness and speed, it should make him that much tougher for all 5 defensive players to play against.

Gil has unbelievable range on his jumper, but he needs to use it judiciously. He can get that shot off anytime he wants to, why not take the higher percentage drive and shoot the outside jumper when you're feeling it more? This is where Gil's ultra confidence or "swag" gets in the way of his thinking clearly. As a player, you KNOW when you're hot from the outside or not - don't push it when you're not!

Sorry for the extra long post, there are so many aspects this game that can be broken down to improve, it'll take forever. These are just a few things I've noticed and of course this is ONLY my opinion of Gil and game. He is just showing a good portion of his potential now, he still has so much left to improve to be that much better. It'll be a joy to watch him while he does in WASHINGTON!

Posted by: Going G.A.G.A. over Gilbert | February 22, 2007 9:13 AM