Gordon, Deng Respond to Gilbert

CHICAGO - Ben Gordon was seated in the media room this week, signing autographs on some trading cards when his buddy asked him, "You see Gilbert's blog?"

"What'd he say now," Gordon said.

"He's still talking about contracts again," Gordon's friend said.

Gordon just shook his head and went back to signing cards.

No, no, no you didn't, Gil. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Gilbert Arenas's frankness has made his blog on NBA.com one of the most popular blogs on the web, but he stirred a little more controversy than usual last week when he chastised some members of the draft class of 2004 who failed to sign contract extensions before the Oct. 31 deadline. He followed it up with another entry this week in which he debated the subject again with his father.

His most pointed criticism was aimed at Bulls forward Luol Deng, Philadelphia swingman Andre Iguodala and Charlotte center Emeka Okafor. You can check out the blog in its entirety, but here is part of it:

"It ain't about just Iggy, Deng and Emeka, it's about everyone. It's about all young players out there who are going into negotiating and who are be going to do it in the future. If somebody offers you $12 million and you think you're worth more than that, somebody should punch you in your face if you turn down that money. What if you get hurt and you can't play basketball again? You just lost $60 million. You just threw away a great lottery ticket. That's what people don't understand."

I can't say that I totally disagree with Arenas on this one, but this type of criticism is very unusual from one player to another. I've heard players complain about other players' deals, but never in a public forum.

While in Chicago, I spoke with Gordon and Deng about Arenas's post. Both players turned down extensions in the neighborhood of five years, $50 million and it has been blamed for some of the Bulls struggles this season.

Needless to say, Gordon was a tad bit upset with Arenas.

"I was shocked, really," Gordon said. "You don't expect that from one of your peers. You expect that from people who write stuff in the papers, commentators, things like that. You don't expect that from somebody on the inside who goes through the same things that players go through all the time."

I asked Gordon if he planned on talking to Arenas in Washington if he gets the chance. "It's said and done," he said. "If he doesn't have the judgment to use discretion and realize we're all professionals out here, everybody is a grown man, everybody has to make their decision for whatever their reason is.

"I don't know. I just think there is a time and place for everything to be voiced. It just didn't seem like it was right, you know, what he did."

Gordon said he didn't plan any sort of rebuttal on his own NBA.com blog. "That's not my style," Gordon said as he walked away.

C'mon, Gil. Why you wanna go and do that, huh? (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Deng took a more diplomatic approach.

"I read it. My people told me about it. That's Gilbert, though," Deng said. "That's him speaking out. Everybody has their own opinion. I'm not going to be the kind of guy to go back and forth. I'm not that kind of person. If it was him, maybe he wouldn't have took it. But he has to know the whole situation. It's easy to say somebody got offered this and didn't take it. But you got to go into the whole situation and what happened. It's really okay with me."

By Michael Lee |  December 19, 2007; 7:30 AM ET
Previous: Kobe And Da Bulls | Next: Ugly 2 Q equals loss

Comments

I think it's like telling your friend his wife is cheating on him. It has to be said but you don't want to be the one to say it.

Posted by: Bart | December 19, 2007 7:54 AM

So true Bart, so very true.

The Bulls should be in a real sore assed mood, got beat by the Lakers at home and their fans??? still chanting for Kobe.

And let's see, is the Bull's GM thinking about Max money for Gordon and Deng, or is he going to wait around to see if Kobe's new found happiness in LA lasts.

Talk about a flirt job, Kobe's got the Bull's team and the city of Chicago waiting to see if he opts out. Gordon and Deng, Scott Skiles and the whole Bulls team act like it's totally messing with their minds.

But then on top of that Arenas starts gigging them on his blog, I'm kind of old school, from the shut up and play generation. Can't help but wonder why Gil's got to go getting in that situation other then he just likes messing with those guys and adding to their misery.

But talk about a team getting thrown completely out of wack by a preseason trade rumor and Kobe's on going flirtations. But in the end Kobe could just stay in LA and once again Chicago would be second city. Or would that be third?

Posted by: GM | December 19, 2007 8:42 AM

Before I make this comment I must say, I am one of those "Gilby Lovers" but sometimes he doth talketh a tad too much. And to me all he is doing is firing up our competition. It's bad enough we have to play without him but now he is going to have players coming into town all fired up and ready to whip our tail. EX: remember what happened in Boston when he spoke too soon. They whipped our tails! I love his blogs but he should keep his tales relgated to himself and leave other players out of it.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:06 AM

His name is NOT Gilby!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:19 AM

I do understand what he is trying to do but he needs to use himself as an example in explaining the contract situation or better yet Deshawn. I was suprised he didn't bring him into it because the thing Gilbert was talking about happened to Deshawn in Orlando. That is how he ended up here as a Wizard. Love ya though Gil.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:21 AM

Gilbert's my boy, but I agree with Gorden and Mike on this one. Everyone has their own situation, so you should not be quick to judge. I don't think Gilbert should not have went public with his opinion on other people's contracts. That is a code the players live by.

I remember when Tiki Barber of the NY Giants said something about Strayhan's contract a couple of years ago and how much division that caused on the team. I am old school too, and that is not how you should not carry things.

However, what Gilbert said is very true. Deng is not a top 3 in the league and AI in Philly is not a max player either. If the Bulls have a bad year, Gordon and Deng will stand to lose a whole lot of money. Gilbert might be right on that one.

Now is Gilbert a max player? Before the two knee operations, I would have said yes. After two knee scopes and repairs I am not too sure now. Most of his game is all about driving to the hole and finishing, thus not having his knee right will take away from that.

I will hate to be EG at the end of the year. Lets hope Gilbert has a number in "his head" that is fair (what HE thinks he is worth) and that it is not the "max" amount like an agent would ask for. Oh yea, that right; Gilbert is his "own agent". So there should not be a problem, right...???

Maybe Gilbert in his offbeat way is giving EG a hint or something about how to prepare for his own upcoming contract negotiations when he decides to opt out? One point though, I hope Gilbert uses this same type of logic he put on his blog about the other players contracts for himself this offseason also. Who knows.....??

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 19, 2007 9:29 AM

Gilbert would cause a Joe Gibbs a major cardiac arrest.

Posted by: reispace | December 19, 2007 9:31 AM

Sorry typo on first paragraph....

Gilbert's my boy, but I agree with Gorden and Mike on this one. Everyone has their own situation, so you should not be quick to judge. Gilbert should not have went public with his opinion on other people's contracts. That is a code the players live by. That is an inner circle type of rule, and we as the public are not part of that inner circle.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 19, 2007 9:33 AM

I know his name is not "Gilby". I was being funny because I knew someone would read my message and call me that. I actally hate that name. Trust me when I tell you, I got nothing but love for Gilbert/Gil and the Wiz.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:35 AM

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 19, 2007 09:29 AM

Great point, BF#1. Gil just telegraphed his thought process to EG, who now holds a trememdous negotiating advantage. Maybe Gil should get an agent...or play poker more often.

Posted by: reispace | December 19, 2007 9:36 AM

Why do we all have to walk on eggshells? I dont think anything GA said was inappropriate at all. Honestly, I think that what he is doing is putting everything into perspective. Charles Barkley has made a living stating his opinion about different topics and usually far more provocative opinions at that and that is why he is an analyst and whether you agree with it or not, he is respected for it. Times have changed, what was polite and appropriate in the past isnt the mainstream now. The truth is Deng, Gordon, Okafur and Iggy are not max players... and they will find that out.

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2007 9:55 AM

If Gordon and Deng are worried about what Gilbert says and not focused for tonight's game then that's fine by me. They have a lot more problems than just their contract now, that team has been putrid this year.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 19, 2007 10:22 AM

I like the way GA thinks. It's clear to me that we will be able to sign him. Actually, the day he got hurt, his other suitors were scared off. After 2 surgeries, we should have no problem signing him. If I were EG, I'd offer him 12 mill for 5 years and be done with it.
Of course, he DOES put people in the seats so the number in his head might be higher but, as he said, he's going to whoever offers the most. No way anyone offers a guy fresh off of 2 knee surgeries more than 12 a year. I think all Wiz fans should be happy about this but I can see how Gordon, Deng and Iggy would be PO'd.
Some ppl think he talks too much. I think it's refreshing that he's saying the things that WE are all saying. Seems to me that even with millions in the bank, he's able to relate to a normal working stiff and hasn't completely lost touch with reality. I know a lot of folks will disagree with his decision to name names and call ppl out but he's not saying anything that other ppl like Barkley are saying. Only difference is he's still playing.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 10:35 AM

Lets look at this srtictly from a basketball point of view...rule out the great community work, fun loving gilbert stuff, straight up basketball performatnce...The same way Gilbert looked at the situation of his peers.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 19, 2007 10:45 AM

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 10:35 AM

Well, that's a BIG difference, Mark.

Then again, all the old school guys like myself may be wrong. Times have changed, and everyone has a reality show, blog, vlog, myspace account, what have you. It's all about voyeurism and putting all your thoughts and warts out there for the whole world to see. God knows I spend too much time posting here lately...

Posted by: reispace | December 19, 2007 10:54 AM

If making into the playoffs past the second round equivocates max money, then there are a lot of people making max money that dont deserve it. K.Garnett? P.Pierce? C.Anthony? D.Nowitzki? I could name 2 dozen more with a little research. I think when determining what players get max money, you have to look at the big picture. Quality of team, injuries, box office, age, dominance of performance, community and other minutia. GA hasnt had the best teams to work with, prior to EG taking over this team has stunk, he's been on the job since 2003. Last year the Wizards could have easily have won close to 50 games barring injury, and who knows what they couldve in the play-offs. Gilbert puts fannies in the seats at home and on the road like no other Bullet or Wizard ever has other than Jordan. Arenas is one of the most dominate offensive guards in the league, no one with any basketball intelligence would deny that and finally, Gilbert gives back to community more so than any other single athlete here in the Washington area, NO ONE comes close. In my opinion he is a max player. His injuries arent debilitating knee injuries, just ones that need to mend before playing high level basketball.

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2007 11:05 AM

reispace, love the poker line. And poor Gil's going to be sitting at the table with one of the best poker"grinders" in the business.

Posted by: GM | December 19, 2007 11:16 AM

Gilbert is just as entertaining as Charles Barkley if not more so. He says what's on his mind. He's giving his opinions on things that "aren't his business" from the other players' perspective. He's got a future in the print or broadcast sports media after he's done playing, once he gets a little bit more analytical. Sort of combine Reggie Miller and Sir Charles, that would be perfect. Right now, he's still in the stage where he's willing to say and do outrageous things.

Posted by: rgz | December 19, 2007 11:23 AM

Posted by: GM | December 19, 2007 11:16 AM

Oh, man - I can just picture Ernie reading Gil's blog entry and just breaking into a big grin. Maybe even lighting a cigar.

Posted by: reispace | December 19, 2007 11:43 AM

Gilbert had knee surgery last year? That's news to me.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 11:44 AM

toobad the wiz home attendance is 3 to last in the entire league

Posted by: jjmat84 | December 19, 2007 11:44 AM

I also fear Gilbert's theatrics are becoming more of a negative distraction. I like the professional attitudes of the players we have on the floor now.

Tonight is the 1st game in a while I have a truly bad feeling about. Bulls don't like us, pissed after Lakers game, Gilbert stirring the pot, they are healthy while we are not...feel an L coming. Hope I am wrong.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 19, 2007 11:48 AM

Dr. Strangelove - I watched the Lakers Bulls game last night - If the Wizards can play well, and win tonight, they will have convinced me that they're a good team - and not just feasting on bottom feeders.

Regardless of the record, the Bulls are a good team.

Posted by: Rook | December 19, 2007 11:54 AM

While I agree that Gilbert's comments were possibly indiscreet and out of line, I also think he was spot-on correct in the point he was making, and I'm pretty sure the guys he was talking about know it.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 11:59 AM

Rook,
I agree, the Bulls are all about hard work. Skiles just drives them relentlessly, if we cannot match their intensity it could be ugly. Regardless of their record I also consider this a huge game.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 19, 2007 12:07 PM

Posted by: Nobcentral | December 19, 2007 12:23 PM

I guess the argument is not whether other guys out there that are making max money deserve it but whether GA deserves it. If you look at our record for the 3 years before GA and since GA, you'd have to say that since he's been the main constant on the floor, he does deserve it. Strictly from a bball perspective, he is a top 5 scorer and provides excitement with his game winning shots. Based on numbers alone, I'd say he was worth max money. If you factor in the fan reaction to him, he's definitely helping to fill seats here at the V center. I'm sure he's a draw on the road, as well. Would ppl pay to see caron or Antawn? probably not. Whether we like him or not, GA deserves max money...or at least before the injury. I agree with JSchon. GA has made us all forget Juwan, Webber and every one since them. Granted, the team is playing well without him but he laid the foundation for winning on the court. Would DS and AB and CB be taking 500 shots or so after practice if they hadn't taken a cue from GA? His intensity and passion for the game as well as his competitiveness has rubbed off on some other guys. I think we need to give GA more credit than he's been given. He may not want the title of leader or captain but he's clearly the leader on the court. If we are able to separate GA from Agent Zero, we can plainly see that he's done for this city what no athlete has done to this degree since Jurgensen or Elvin Hayes. I may be missing someone but we've imported a lot of stars that were unable to take a losing franchise and make them consistent winners. Jordan, Jagr, Stackhouse, Moses malone, Webber, Richmond, Johan Cruyff, Wilbur Marshall (he joined a team that was pretty good already), Portis, Deion, Bruce Smith. Long list of guys who came into DC as stars and weren't able to improve the team. Antawn and EJ deserve credit, as well, but GA has been the star.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 12:42 PM

I like nobcentral's point. What if Gilbert said that about Kobe during Kobe's contract negotiations? You think Kobe would care? You think that would cause Kobe not to get a max deal? These guys care because they don't have negotiating leverage, so when a peer points that out (comparing them to Latrell Sprewell -- classic), it just hurts their case even more.
Sticking with poker, it's sort of like watching over the shoulder of a bad poker playing poker badly and repeatedly saying, "What a dumb play," and "This guys doesn't know what he's doing."

Posted by: Sean | December 19, 2007 12:47 PM

One thing that people tend to forget is that he is 25 years old, maybe 26 (close to it im sure). When I was 25, I was saying and doing dumb immature stuff. Arenas isnt a trouble maker, a malcontent, a cancer or a thug. I find him refreshing and im sure there are 29 other teams that would love to have him. Having a personality isnt a bad, having an opinion isnt a bad thing... be careful what you wish for. I remember a lot of people screaming that we didnt pony up the first time to keep juwan howard! Only 1 team wins a championship every year, does that make everyone else a failure? If you say yes, then I'd hate to be judged by you. This team is on the verge of something special and it would only be fitting for the main ingredient to be a part of it too.

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2007 12:56 PM

"The Wizards are no longer dependent on Gilbert carrying the team. After two surgeries he needs to be healthy, productive, show he can integrate and even play defense for a year before a new contract should be considered."

The problem with that scenario is that if he does opt out, they won't have the option of waiting a year. They'll need to make a decision this summer. And regardless of how good they've looked beating a collection of NBA doormats, they need Arenas (or someone vvery much like him) if they want to take the next step in their development.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 1:11 PM

Kal,

One other point, a lot of folks frequently point out the Wizards have mostly beaten sub-par teams. Very few teams in the east have a winning record, maybe 6 or 7. Most of our games, of course, are against eastern conference teams. Just seems unfair to discredit the Wizards success because most of the teams in the east are sub-500. I am gleeful we have had the focus to beat these teams where in years past we have consistently played to our competition.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 19, 2007 1:33 PM

Who cares what these guys say about each other, but for goodness sake, someone get Arenas an English tutor.

Posted by: DeShode | December 19, 2007 1:37 PM

"Gilberts been to the second round of the playoffs one time, 2 years ago. In consecutive years he's had 2 major knee injuries. Is he really a max player?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT.....SIGN AND TRADE!!!!!!

THE TEAM IS BETTER WITHOUT GILBERT

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 1:38 PM

jjmat84-

do you even consider checking facts before you spout your idiocy? the wizards are right in the middle of the pack in attendance, despite the slow start and the loss of their superstar player.

facts are your friends.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 19, 2007 1:44 PM

Not sure if I'm still a max player, but I luv DC Man88!

Posted by: Gilby | December 19, 2007 1:51 PM

Gilbert wasn't a max player before he hurt himself! Now he is coming off 2 surgeries. If we give him max money Grunfeld should be fired and I will be looking for another team to root for.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 1:56 PM

Interesting stat on espn.com

Top PER seasons by players 6-3 or shorter since 1977-78
Player Year PER
Chris Paul 2007-08 26.67
Allen Iverson 2005-06 26.02
Terrell Brandon 1995-96 25.45
Gilbert Arenas 2006-07 24.07
John Stockton 1989-90 23.96
Kevin Johnson 1990-91 23.94
Allen Iverson 2000-01 23.91
Steve Nash 2006-07 23.87
Gilbert Arenas 2005-06 23.87
John Stockton 1990-91 23.53

Gilbert was certainly a max player before the injury, though we don't know how he'll bounce back.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:13 PM

Terrell Brandon ?!!

Hollinger is a boob.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 2:16 PM

I've been to home games and the person that I wanted to see play was Gilbert (of course the rest of the team also), but I probably wouldnt buy a ticket ahead of time if I knew Gilbert wasnt playing. Also, if Gilbert was on another team, I would pay to see him; just like I would pay to see players coming here to DC (L. James, Melo, Duncan, etc). Bottom line, Gilbert would bring in ticket sales for a team owner.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:21 PM

I for one have been so happy with Gil's contribution to the Wiz and his play. I think he's a great player and a throwback to the hard work players that made it by sheer determination and by doing all the little things it takes to become a better player. It's working for Gil. He's an excellent example in that way. However, there are times when I wish he would just shutup. I get the feeling that he wants the superstar status and recognition so bad that he's crowning himself a superstar. Call me old school but I like it when I guy scores a TD or a basket and acts like he's done it before. In the Ravens game, their defenders were celebrating a tackle after a guy had just made 9 yards on them. I don't get that. I really appreciate the Art Monks of the world. Class act. Gil is a great player but he has no class at all.

Posted by: BenThere | December 19, 2007 2:25 PM

I'd like know what Fat Lever's PER was in 88-89. He was 6'3". In 88-89, he averaged 20ppg, 8 assists, 9 rebounds while shooting 46% from the field and 79% from the line. He also avgd only 2 turnovers. His PER is not higher than some of those on this list? This goes to show me that Hollinger may be a genius with numbers but they don't tell the whole story.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 2:39 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:39 PM

that said...to be number 4 and number 9 on that list is pretty darn impressive. ...especially when an all timer like Stockton is #5 and #10.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 2:41 PM

"Bottom line, Gilbert would bring in ticket sales for a team owner."

True but I care about W's not fans in the seats. We might not have the star power if we trade him but enough W's will bring the fans. SIGN AND TRADE GILBERT!!!! We are better without him.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:42 PM

There is more to basketball than scoring and Gilbert Arenas doesn't realize that.

Perfect example is when he got upset with Eddie last year during the Portland game for trying to make him focus on Defense.

Gilbert is one of the most overrated players in the game!!! and with his surgeries he is without a doubt going to be less explosive.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:47 PM

Anon, I agree with your assesment for the most part about Hollinger. I have to respectfully disagree about Gil's defense. No guard in the league can stop a fast penetrator without help. It's impossible. He plays a position that is very difficult to defense. I don't know a single player who can stop a quick PG in space. With BTH and Blatche behind him, GA would prove to be a very good defender, I believe. Also, with less of the scoring load on him, he should have more energy to put into defense. Also, he dishes out more than he gives up. If everyone on the team did that, obviously we'd win every game.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 2:47 PM

"1st off Hollinger is a joke...he shouldn't have a job. Secondly GILBERT was never a max player....he plays no D. Notice the past 2/3 years how many guards have had career nights with Gil guarding them. Also gil can't pass...his assist/turnover ratio for his career is 5.5/3.3...Pretty impressive. If you call that a max player you must be insane."

Great post start to finish

Posted by: Matt | December 19, 2007 2:48 PM

Not only does Gil play zippy D....he also messes up the team D by firing his shots 2 seconds into the shot clock without passing the ball once. THE TEAM IS BETTER WITHOUT GIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:50 PM

I actually enjoy watching team ball...not GIL BALL b/c thats what it is when he is on the court

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 2:58 PM

The shortsightedness by some people here astounds me... By your definitions, there should only be a handful of max players. I wouldnt mind that, however, thats not the reality of the current NBA. There are plenty of players far less deserving of max-money than Arenas that already have it.

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2007 2:59 PM

Off point, but from David Dupree's last chat today:

"I love Juan Carlos Navarro and think the Wizards made a huge mistake in trading him."

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 3:16 PM

Team ball is defined in Gilbert's vocabulary as: Singular pronoun, Me, Myself, I. - Usage: " I say to myself no one plays with me" or "I take the ball by myself and no one but me will shoot it"

Posted by: DeShode | December 19, 2007 3:38 PM

Also off point, here are stats for recently signed Mike Wilks. Not that good earlier in the season with Denver. Wonder what Grunfeld sees in him:

Maybe a good defender for practice??

Posted by: skippyjlp | December 19, 2007 3:39 PM

It looks like DC Man88 is now posting without a handle...

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 3:40 PM

^^^I agree, epecially considering the topic and the fact that not one post from him has appeared

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 3:48 PM

If it was DCMan, he would have already given his daily update on Gilbert's mom, then linked to an article about Gilbert's goldfish or something not related to basketball.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 3:59 PM

"I realize the risk, just feel it is also risky to sign Gil to a large long term contract without seeing what percentage of Gil we may get back."

Of course it's risky, but it's a risk Grunfeld may have no choice but to take. If Arenas opts out, the Wiz will have to make a decision. Players get injured. It's a fact of life in pro sports. There are never any guarantees when a team signs a player. The people making the deals know to factor that in.

"Just seems unfair to discredit the Wizards success because most of the teams in the east are sub-500."

I'm not discrediting anything. I'm just putting it in the proper context.

This team will be measured by how they do in the playoffs. The players themselves said as much, in no uncertain terms, coming into the season. If they don't take the next step and advance deep in the postseason, there's a good chance of the team being overhauled. In order to get where they need to go, beating up on weak teams isn't enough. They're going to need some quality wins against top tier opponents to help secure home court in the earlier rounds, and they're going to have to face and beat winning teams in the playoffs to advance. They're playing well so far, under tough circumstances, and that's to be applauded. But this early in the season, it really doesn't mean much in terms of truly determining whether the team is good enough to meet it goals.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 4:30 PM

"Secondly GILBERT was never a max player....he plays no D. "

The same can be said of many guys currently sporting max or near max deals.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 4:31 PM

hehe, good one.

I tend to wince when I hear what GA is saying in public, but at the same time I don't think he is 'wrong' to do it, but maybe he should turn up his own filter a bit. At the same time, that is who he is.

look at the beginning of the season, when he promised a win at boston, man i wish he didn't say it, some people call him out for being dumb. But at the same time I kinda like that at least he will put himself out there. How many time could you just play the same quotes for some of these guys.

we want our players to want to win. simple as that. with regard to this situation, i think it is a bit of a sign of the times, GA sees what is happening in blogs, and he knows that they just aren't interesting if you aren't saying SOMETHING. I mean more than what you ate... c'mon the information age is upon us, too much perhaps, but I give GA some respect for night simply hiding behind the cautionary, middling comments most public figures make.

So with that you take the good with the bad, sometimes you alienate, and wind up where DCMAN88 sits. But either way, it is interesting.

Posted by: greg | December 19, 2007 4:35 PM

First of all, he's had ONE knee injury that, by every account, was not a major one (i.e., ACL tear). Both of the surgeries he had were to address the same injury.

Second, while what you say about Arenas may be true, none of those things stand as disqualifying criteria for a max eal.

Neither Grant Hill nor Tracy McGrady had ever made it out of the first round when Orlando gave them the max (and Hill had just had surgery for the first time on his broken ankle). How many trips to the Finals had Rashard Lewis made before the Magic gave him a max deal last summer? Shawn Marion had never gotten past the second round (not sure he even made it that far) in Phoenix before they gave him a max deal (this was years before Nash came).

Players who get that kind of money only do so in part because of what they've done. Most of it is based on what the team signing them thinks they can do in the future. That means taking a gamble, because no one can know for sure what the future holds.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 4:39 PM

"His name is NOT Gilby!!!!

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 09:19 AM "

Both Air Gordon and Deng will join a long list of NBA players that don't have respect for Gilby and despise him. That list includes Shaq and CB.

Gilby should shut his blow hole because he's proven to be a hypocrite once again. He of all people could have signed an extension for security, but instead, opted out because greed overtook his pea brain.

Now, his body, his mouth, and his family life are failing him. Gilby will become the next Dennis Rodman, Bison Dele, Ron Artest, and Stephen Jackson...unpredictable clowns.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 4:44 PM

"I don't believe EG should offer Gilbert anything at the end of this season. Even if he comes back and plays reasonably well for a few games. Let him finish the final year of his contract or opt out if he so desires.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 19, 2007 11:48 AM "

Can someone buy Gilby a barbie doll at Target so he can keep himself amused and shut his trap? Gilby is so jealous that the team is playing better without him that he has to try to sabotage Les BouleS by blurting out nonsense to rile up the other team.

This team is so much better without Gilby. Guys are playing loose, having fun, sharing the ball, playing D, etc. None of this was happening when Gilby was healthy.

"Still, Caron Butler's recent comments were intriguing: "You look across the board, everybody has gotten better since Gilbert went down."

He said he was talking about guys stepping up. But perhaps he suggested something else."

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 4:54 PM

"I'm fairly certain that the guys were more upset about Gilbert's strong point that they aren't worth $15 million/per. I haven't seen any comments from Iggy yet, but I'd say this season is proving Gilbert's point. You want $15 million? Put fans in the seats and win. Ain't doin' that? Take your 10 or 12 and shut the hell up. Sometimes, the truth stings.

Posted by: Nobcentral | December 19, 2007 12:23 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 4:56 PM

"Arenas isnt a trouble maker, a malcontent, a cancer or a thug.

Posted by: JSchon | December 19, 2007 12:56 PM "

He's a deadbeat dad though!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 4:58 PM

"Not sure if I'm still a max player, but I luv DC Man88!

Posted by: Gilby | December 19, 2007 01:51 PM "

Gilby should focus his love to his babies momma and his own momma. Not himself.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 4:59 PM

"The truth is that Chicago has done better than Les BouleS in the playoffs every year."

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 5:03 PM

"It looks like DC Man88 is now posting without a handle...

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 03:40 PM

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 03:48 PM "

It looks like you two are too stupid for your own good.

I always post with my handle. Unlike you two stupid morons who don't post with a handle.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 5:03 PM

"Does that include the year when the Wizards knocked the Bulls out of the playoffs? Or the year after that when both teams got ousted in the first round?

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 05:03 PM "

You can thank Larry Hughes for that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 5:05 PM

"Ivan Carter: The luxury tax issue is hanging over this team right now, no question. The Wiz did add Mike Wilks today but he'll likely be gone by Jan. 10 because contracts become guaranteed for the season that day and that would put them over which is something they would prefer not to do. So, barring another rash of injuries, I see them waiting for Daniels and Pecherov to come back and roll with what they have. Teams can also sign guys to 10-days starting on Jan. 5 and that could be an option as well. Call 'em cheap if you want but that's what the plan is."

So, the cheap Les BouleS could have signed more players to help out, as long as they cut them before their contracts become guaranteed, but Dishonest Abe would rather spend his money on Costco cake than players to help the team.

Whoopeeeee!!! Where can I sign up for season tickets?

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 5:08 PM

"You can thank Larry Hughes for that."

Was that Larry Hughes hitting that game winning, buzzer beating jumper over Hinrich? 'Cause it sure didn't look like him.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 5:11 PM

Quick question,

What DO you like about the wizards? Don't give me things you don't like, just please fan to fan, what DO you like about this organization?

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | December 19, 2007 5:14 PM

Posted by: 2cents (formerly 2censt4wiz) | December 19, 2007 5:54 PM

Posted by: 2cents (formerly 2censt4wiz) | December 19, 2007 05:54 PM

First, good move shortening your handle (lol)

Yeah, I'm fully on board the Gil Love Train too. Geez, it's just a frickin meniscus tear. Big deal. Do what it takes to keep him here. It probably won't take a max contract anyway - he signaled his priorities: getting signed to a long-term contract to minimize risk. Need your help here again GM: didn't you write the Wiz can sign him for 6 years vs. 5 years for anyone else? If that's true, deal's done.

Posted by: reispace | December 19, 2007 6:11 PM

""You can thank Larry Hughes for that."

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 05:11 PM "

It was Larry busy concentrating on offense and defense throughout the game so Gilby could just focus on offense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 6:16 PM

"Quick question,

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | December 19, 2007 05:14 PM "

Who you talkin' to?

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 6:18 PM

"As well as the wiz are playing right now, I think its foul's gold. The need Gil, he is way too much of a talent to let walk away. He is driven, so even if he does not have the same explosiveness when he returns, he will make himself into a top player. Probably by playing smarter, focusing on sharing the ball more. Whatever, I think he'll do it. And if it was my money being spent, I would re-sign him for whatever it takes. Now I'm off to see the Wizards. I think they can pull it off tonight.

Posted by: 2cents (formerly 2censt4wiz) | December 19, 2007 05:54 PM "

Fool's gold was the first half of last season with Gilby, and then the second half of last season with Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 6:19 PM

Because, of course, that was the only shot Arenas hit the entire series, right?

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 6:21 PM

""BTW, one game winning shot in the last second doesn't supersede all the hard work that was done for the other 47'59" by other teammates."

Because, of course, that was the only shot Arenas hit the entire series, right?

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 06:21 PM "

Give some of the other players on the court some credit.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 6:30 PM

Plus, he thinks he knows EVERYTHING! Emphasis on THINKS.

Gilbert is not a deadbeat dad...he takes care of his children AND his ex-girlfriend. So what if he has children and is not with the girlfriend right now? HALF THE NBA players are right there along with him...as well as half the world!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 6:34 PM

I trust EG. He refused to move Brendan while trying to move ET {his 1 bad move signing ET for that contract}. Blatche and D-Mac are 2nd round keepers with Blatche having special potential.

CB for KBrown, nuff said. Antawn Jamison (Alpha Dog and Double-Doubles) for Devin Harris (but could've picked up Luol Deng w/that pick) and Jerry Stackhouse's contract, I take that. The Deshawn signing was adroit. Nick Young was the best offensive perimeter player on the board. DSong was a solid free agent move. The refusal to pay above market for Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries. And the former 2nd rounder from Golden State whose evolved (when healthy)into Max Player.

My point is EG deserves the benefit of the doubt. He robbed Mitch Kupchak and sold out thought Danny Ferry. I suspect if GA is healthy or has no career ending situation w/this latest injury then, he'll easily sign him to Max Money which GA deserves.

Posted by: Janitor | December 19, 2007 6:37 PM

To win rings we need Gilbert playing team ball. Getting rid of him for what would probably be less talent is absurd. But he needs to realize that the goal is to win rings and not win MVPs. He is rehabbing and seems to want the limelight for some reason. He needs to quietly work while getting second opinions on his health (with our crack medical staff) rather than giving advice to others.

Bottom line is that it is ridiculous to even think about giving up on him. He is a proven closer and that is one of the things that seperates very good teams from champions.

Posted by: BmoreRev | December 19, 2007 6:44 PM

"Because, of course, that was the only shot Arenas hit the entire series, right?

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 06:21 PM "

Keep in mind that I've said all along that Gilby is a great scorer and a clutch shooter. Given that, he's got a lot of weaknesses in his game as a player and as a teammate.

The good thing about his injury is that it's allowed the other players on this team to PROVE THAT THIS TEAM CAN NOT ONLY SURVIVE, BUT THRIVE WITHOUT HIM. This means that Gilby is a) not as important to this team as he thinks, and b) the notion that Gilby is responsible for raising everybody else's game (including his two sidekick 20 point averaging teammates) is overrated. Guys are doing great without him. This has been wonderful, great, and a breath of fresh air. Makes me cheer harder for my Les BouleS.

As good as Gilby thinks he is, and as good as people on this blog think he's a max player, this team is doing so well without him. That in itself means Gilby is not as important to this franchise as one thinks. Another 12 mil player could fill his slot so out of the window is the thought that he's irreplaceable or untouchable.

If Gilby wants to help his team while he's out with his bum knee, the best he can do is just plain shut his trap.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 7:20 PM

"I hope the Gilbert we get to see at 28 will be ready to focus because Gilbert at 25/26 with all his talent still troubles me. But again, he is young and we hope he will grow. This injury and seeing what his teamates can do without him could potentially be the change that we long for. Heck he may even come back serious about defense!

Posted by: BmoreRev | December 19, 2007 06:44 PM "

Lebron's younger, and you don't see him acting a fool. DWade is younger and you don't see him acting a fool. Age is but a number. Gilbert is a fool, young or old.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 7:23 PM

"As usual, DCTroll is Gilbert bashing...and Wizard bashing. He talks about Gil's life...well at least Gil has a life...unlike the DCTroll idiot who has nothing better to do than bash and judge. And after the venom he has spewed toward other people on here, he has no right to judge anyone.

Plus, he thinks he knows EVERYTHING! Emphasis on THINKS.

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 06:34 PM "

Gilbert is a deadbeat dad. Stupid Laura wasn't smart enough to surf the net and find the number for "dial a maid" before she got booted out in the cold for not keeping the house clean. Then again, if she was smart, she would have learned her lesson and not gotten knocked up a second time with Jumanji.

If she was a smart gold digger, she would have at least waited until after she got her xmas presents from Gilby before acting up. She's probably talking to her lawyer now about serving up some papers for child support. Too bad Gilby is injured so it's not worth it to serve it to him live on TV right before he tries another game winning prayer or right before a critical free throw.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 7:28 PM

Could've really used Daniels in the 2nd qtr. Need to get back to disciplined play.

Posted by: reispace | December 19, 2007 8:13 PM

Gilbert in my mind was making that transition (to more of a distributor) this season before his latest setback. His shot as expected was inconsistent and he had some turnover issues the first few games but I thought he was making more of an effort to get everyone involved.

Some of these comments are knee jerk responses to a winning streak and good basketball execution but it did start with Gilbert in the lineup before his setback.

It looks like an alley fight tonight.

Posted by: Janitor | December 19, 2007 8:14 PM

"

It looks like an alley fight tonight.

Posted by: Janitor | December 19, 2007 08:14 PM "

Please. Sounds like a knee jerk analysis with regard to Gilby being some sort of distributor after only a couple of games. It's clear that his defense was still nowhere to be found, and probably will never exist with 2 knee operations.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 8:47 PM

Note to Coach: Please dont double down on Aaron Gray. Creating too much space for Chicago shooters. AB and BTH can handle him solo on the block.

Posted by: Janitor | December 19, 2007 8:59 PM

Ugh. A sorry performance tonight. It's so noticeable how indecisive these young, inexperienced players are. That means Blatche, Young and Mason. I know AD is out, but c'mon. You can't lose to the sorry Bulls who played last night. This is sad.

Posted by: Colin | December 19, 2007 9:11 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 08:47 PM

Gilbert was looking to distribute more in those few games he played this season. Would that have held up? We don't know. But he was. And there's no denying that. As to your other point, Gilbert wasn't playing lock-down defense (who knows if he ever will), but he was fighting through screens and closing out a lot harder and faster than he ever has in the past. That means he was putting forth good effort on the defensive end. How can you say that his defense will be awful in the future, though? Now that sounds like a knee-jerk analysis.

Posted by: Colin | December 19, 2007 9:18 PM

Jumanji?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:22 PM

Concept:

We were in position to win and make plays.

Reality:

Poor execution down the stretch and inability to finish. We needed our Junkyard Dog to help finish this fight. Someone to penetrate, get to the LINE(help mitigate some of the turnovers), cause double teams b/c he's unguardable, or open up the floor (although Bulls rarely double on anyone).

It always a fight with them, and although we still had a good shot to win, a healthy GA is always a problem for good defensive teams like the Bulls.

Also, like most good defensive teams Bulls play D from the perimeter out w/no double in the Post. So you must have off the dribble penetration or efficient passing. Usually that kind of passing doesn't hold up for a whole game w/exception of PHX.

Still excited about our prospects until Gilbert gets back.

Posted by: Janitor | December 19, 2007 9:41 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:47 PM

Colin I agree with you. Also, you will come to find that some people's post don't deserve replies.

Think of it as a contrarian, with no valid point or statement except to be heard.

Posted by: Janitor | December 19, 2007 9:50 PM

Les BouleS always seem to have Detroit's number, and in return, both Chicago and Miami seems to always have Les BouleS number.

Les BouleS lost tonight because they were missing AD, someone who can control the tempo of the game. Also, AJ couldn't guard his shadow, and DS was busying arguing and stopping mid game to contest a call because he thinks he deserves superstar calls. I think not.

CBut had another great game. NY and DS couldn't hit shots, and AB didn't get enough PT and touches. AB was dominating any big man they could throw at him, including the Noah. Chicago just looked a lot more physical.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 9:50 PM

"I'm willing to bet DCTroll has never even been to a Wiz game...or an NBA game period. Also willing to bet he's never been with a woman so knows nothing about them.

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 09:47 PM "

If you made this indecent proposal, your wife would be on all fours tonight.

Yeah, I've never been with your father, so I know nothing about her.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 9:51 PM

Let's just hope Gilby doesn't start yapping his gums before the Atlanta game on Friday about what Josh Smith is worth when he becomes a free agent after this season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 10:10 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:12 PM

"Caron and Antawn were both ill this week and the team did not practice much. Also, they have not played in 4 days so perhaps were a little rusty.

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 10:12 PM "

Yeah, that's right.

Even if they could practice, they couldn't, because cheapo Abe didn't sign the new kid until late.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 10:24 PM

Comment on tonights game: If you live by the jumper, you die by the jumper.

Posted by: Section101 | December 19, 2007 10:39 PM

Wizards lost because they couldn't hit a shot. Not because of Gilbert's blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:46 PM

"Wizards lost because they couldn't hit a shot. Not because of Gilbert's blog.

Posted by: | December 19, 2007 10:46 PM "

I'm sure you said the same thing after the Boston game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 10:50 PM

DCTroll is 19 years old...still lives at home....hi home is NOT DC - probably some far out suburb...he's never been to a Wiz game.....never played basketball....and never been with a woman.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:52 PM

Boston is 20-3. Pros like Garnett, Pierce & Allen don't need any blog motivation.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:55 PM

The only thing keeping DC "Man"88 from suicide is this blog.

The troll lost a huge bet when Gil missed two free throws in a playoff game, he said, and so now he spends every waking moment bashing Gil. That way he can try to cope with losing all that money. Anyone notice he NEVER denies this? That's because several of us remember his posts here complaining about the $7,000 bet he lost.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 20, 2007 3:33 AM

That's right. DC Man88 never bashed Gil until he missed those two free throws and the troll lost that bet. Before that happened, no Gil bashing. Now, he bashes him more than ever. He must be contemplating suicide again, but he vents here instead to soothe his pain.

How do you explain that, DC Fool88?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 20, 2007 3:37 AM

Colin and others, do not even bother to defend Gil to DC Man/Woman 88. You are wasting your keystrokes. The more you defend Gil the worse his posts are. Loook at all of the previous posts by this person. You were right on point with your assessment of Gil. I have said it time and again. The Wiz lost last night because they were not patient in their offense, hence their shot was not there. Too many forced shots.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 20, 2007 7:26 AM

Looks like even kalorama disagrees with the Troll today. halleluiah

Posted by: Anonymous | December 20, 2007 8:27 AM

Hahaha!!!

Gilby has been a moron wherever he's been. I'm just glad Les BouleS as a team without Gilby has proven to be very good. Who needs Gilby? His mom and his kids more than Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 20, 2007 6:15 PM

Tony Mejia at CBS Sportsline thinks the Wizards might be looking at disgruntled Jazz 2-guard Gordan Giricek. Gordan certainly is a decent scorer and could probably contribute here but what would the Jazz be looking for in return? It seems to me that the only current player the Wizards might consider parting with for Giricek is Songaila, who would provide some nice bench strength for Utah and fits the Sloan player mold, but what Utah needs most of all is another 2-guard who can score. Anyway it's something to watch as we get ready for an interesting evening against Atlanta.

Posted by: khrabb | December 21, 2007 5:28 AM

I think Eddie needs to mess with the rotation tonight.

1 - Deshawn Stevenson
2 - Caron Butler
3 - Andray Blatche
4 - Antawn Jamison
5 - Brendan Haywood

Nick Young has not looked comfortable and appears better suited as coming off the bench , as of now.

Posted by: LooseCannon | December 21, 2007 11:51 AM

I agree with Loose Cannon, go with your best five to start... Let Nick come in and bomb away against the Atlanta bench.

Posted by: Khrabb | December 21, 2007 1:15 PM