Touching moment at Verizon Center today

I've been doing this sports reporter thing now for a decade. Other than a brief, post-college stint as a tutor/mentor in the Mpls. public school system and a night gig as a bartender, I've pretty much covered games, written stories and generally been around sports for the last 10 years.

I love this job.

That said, it's easy to get a little jaded. Sometimes dealing with ego-driven athletes, coaches, general managers and agents (mostly agents) can beat you down. Sometimes you feel that you should donate your talents to "important" things. The travel can be a real killer. Deadline can be tough. You spend Thanksgiving in Detroit and Christmas morning in Phoenix. Five seconds after you pound out a story, you realize that it's time to think about the next one. Relationships suffer and in some cases, fracture. You start thinking about doing something else, maybe something more meaningful.

And then you witness a scene like the one I witnessed today.

The Wizards were wrapping up practice this afteroon at the VC when I rolled into the gym thinking about what I wanted to write for tomorrow's paper. What's up with LeBron? (he's out tonight against New Jersey and I hear that he won't play tomorrow night either) Can the Wiz pound the boards against the Cavs and win a second straight game? How is Oleksiy Pecherov going to put a smile on my face today? (the kid is seriously upbeat).

And then I met Patricia Scales and two of her children.

You may remember the story. Scales is the women who was doused with gasoline and set on fire by a former boyfriend late last December. The incident happened while her daughter was in the house. It happened right before Christmas. She suffered second and third degree burns over 40 percent of her body. The last year has been filled with severe pain, endless trips to the hospital and financial ruin. Scales recently learned that she is scheduled for eviction. Right before Christmas. She didn't know what to do so she contacted Kermit Washington, whom she's met before, and Washington, who works for the NBA player's association and been heavily invested in numerous charitable programs, including one that feeds and provides medical care for starving children in Africa, came through.

Washington, the former American University and NBA star, didn't have the financial means to help Scales so he contacted Wizards guard Antonio Daniels and Daniels came through. He went to teammates and coaches, they all chipped in and tomorrow night, the team will present Scales with over $20,000 to help her and her family get back on their feet. When Daniels walked over to Scales and delivered the news this afternoon, she burst out crying, hugged Daniels and expressed her gratitude in a moving way that brought tears to my eyes and kept them there for about 15 minutes.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank You so much! Oh my God! Last year we never even had a Christmas!" She said more but I can't quite remember all of it.

Later, Scales and her kids took a picture with the entire team and coaching staff. She met Eddie Jordan, Caron Butler and her kids got autographs from the whole team. Tomorrow night, as special guests of Ernie Grunfeld, Scales and her kids will watch the Wizards and Cavaliers play basketball.

Now, I have no idea how much more physical and psychological pain Patricia Scales and her family will face in the days, weeks, months and years ahead - I can't even imagine what is like to look in the mirror every single day and be reminded that someone you loved could disfigure you like that. But I do know this: for one afternoon, that poor women and her kids smiled, laughed and enjoyed themselves. That's pretty damn cool.

Daniels has done this kind of thing before. You may remember that last year, after hearing about the murder of then Miami Hurricane football player Brian Pata, Daniels saw Pata's mother grieving on television, was reminded of what his own mother went through following the sudden death of his older brother, Chris, and contacted the family through someone with the Wiz. Daniels spoke with the mother and donated the $10,000 needed for Pata's funeral. When I heard about the story from another party and wanted write about it, Daniels declined and I had to pretty much hound him before he'd agree to talk about it. Anyway, that was a cool move too.

And he's not alone. The Wizards have a lot of guys who have done some pretty cool things. Etan Thomas is as involved as any athlete I've ever covered. We know about Gilbert and some of things he's done. Caron and Antawn. All of them. I've seen some neat little things like Eddie Jordan picking a kid in the crowd at away games and handing the kid a card with the first play of the game on it. "This play better work. It's your play," Eddie tells them and the kid always beams while his/her dad/mother lights up like a Christmas tree.

I've seen Caron Butler walk past the scorer's table at the start of a game and give a fist pound to a cute little girl sitting courtside. I've seen Gilbert make a kid feel like the coolest thing in the world because he tossed him his sweat soaked jersey after hitting a game-winning shot. I've seen a lot of that kind of thing but today was something I'll never forget.

It's a cruel, cruel world out there. Young men and women go off to war and never come back. Athletes we don't know but care deeply about get shot and die. People we care about get sick. Cruel people abuse kids, animals and each other. Some really vicious people douse someone they supposedly love and set them on fire.

Every now and then though, we witness things - some little, others big - that remind us of just how kind people can be, how the simple act of reaching out and doing something for someone else can change a life or lives so drastically.

And suddenly, writing sports for a living feels like the greatest job in the world because you get to tell stories like the one I just shared with you.

By Ivan Carter |  December 4, 2007; 6:42 PM ET
Previous: Philadelphia Dethrones King | Next: Varejao Gets His Dinheiro (Money), Wants More

Comments

Yeah man

Posted by: Patrick | December 4, 2007 7:48 PM

Excellent Post. The Wizards may not be the best team in the NBA but the franchise has come very far in terms of adding character individuals as opposed to the assorted collection of knuckleheads who predominated the roster during the 1980's and 1990's. Stories such as the above cause me to cheer harder for this team because you really want to see character be rewarded.

Posted by: Noups | December 4, 2007 7:54 PM

wow....

That's all, just wow!

Posted by: Rook | December 4, 2007 8:10 PM

I was thinking this morning about what a classy bunch we have on the Wizards, and this really confirms it. These guys are so easy to root for-- AD as much as any of them. As a fan, I really respect these guys as individuals, something I'd rarely say about a pro athlete.

Posted by: Joe the Fan | December 4, 2007 8:34 PM

In a week full of tremendous sadness and questions about what is wrong with people these days, I am so glad to read this post. Thank you for giving us all hope that there is still some good people in this world. The Wizards should be proud of the collection of players they have assembled win or lose.

Posted by: virtueandvice | December 4, 2007 8:35 PM

WORD!

Posted by: Ntlekt | December 4, 2007 8:36 PM

Great story Ivan.

Posted by: J.J. | December 4, 2007 8:39 PM

Very inspiring...what's great is that this was the top story in the sports section of Washingtonpost.com. We read so much negativity (DUI's, Gun Charges, Assault, etc.) and stories like this get unnoticed. Thank you for sharing this with everyone...

Posted by: CH | December 4, 2007 8:41 PM

Great post. A real tribute to the quality group of individuals we have playing for the Wizards. We are certainly fortunate. Makes us root for them even more!

Posted by: Vandy | December 4, 2007 8:55 PM

AD is my new favorite NBA player.

Posted by: ole | December 4, 2007 9:11 PM

Nice post. Thanks for sharing; and for what it is worth: you are good at your profession.

Posted by: Crabhands | December 4, 2007 9:16 PM

Ivan:

That's just about the best blog you've ever written, and you've written some good ones. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posted by: John Brisker | December 4, 2007 9:22 PM

That's a great thing that AD did.

Question is where the heck is Oprah in all this. Oprah makes more than the entire salary cap of Les BouleS. She had Scales on TV and probably made a ton of money from advertising for that show, but did Oprah do anything to help this lady out?

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 4, 2007 9:27 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this incredible story.

I have to "ditto" the poster who said "Wow!" This story has warmed my heart.

Posted by: winjonnic | December 4, 2007 9:31 PM

way to go, A.D. Love the Zards...very classy.

Posted by: jj | December 4, 2007 9:33 PM

Actually, Oprah had Yvette Cade, another DC woman who suffered a similar injury a few years ago on her show. And no, she didn't actually give her any money/assistance after the show, to my knowledge.

That said, Cade came to my church not long thereafter and we took up a massive offering from her.

Point being: we can all help people like the Zards' do on some level big or small. You just have to want to help.

Posted by: AverageBro.com | December 4, 2007 9:42 PM

Thank you for opening this vein, Ivan. You've touched me and a lot of other folks, I know. And you've raised this game to a new level.

I also like the good guys Ernie Grunfeld brings us, and the way Eddie Jordan can mix them in on the court. But it's off the court the Wizards have made their mark.

Your post reminds me of the greatest Wizard contributor to the Washington community, Abe Pollin, honored this weekend with the dedication of Abe Pollin Way outside the Phone Booth that Abe built, the hub of a bustling new city.

Posted by: zinger1 | December 4, 2007 9:47 PM

Thank You.
We world needs hear more things like this.

Posted by: Lashaun | December 4, 2007 9:57 PM

Thanks for sharing, Ivan. I saw this story tonight on Sportsnet and it reminded me again why I love Antonio Daniels. He's tough on the court and compassionate off of it.

After a devastating week following the murder of Sean Taylor, this story makes the world a bit brighter.

Posted by: Lisa | December 4, 2007 10:00 PM

"This would be a good year to celebrate the Wizards, and bring Abe the second championship he so richly deserves.

Posted by: zinger1 | December 4, 2007 09:47 PM "

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Thanks, Ted. Don't push Abe off the cliff just yet.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 4, 2007 10:37 PM

So maybe we won't scream about breaking this team up when they might happen to go 2-4 on a west coast trip? You think maybe they'll get a chance?

Posted by: CW | December 4, 2007 11:39 PM

It's acts like this that give me hope that this world is not so bad after all!

Posted by: Stew' | December 4, 2007 11:42 PM

That's the kind of assist I love to read about. Thanks IC...

Posted by: iceberg | December 4, 2007 11:44 PM

Thank you for that insight...it has changed my feeling toward AD. Think about what he did in the context of your own work environment. How many guys you work with would take it upon themselves to reach out to his coworkers and bosses to jointly take up a collection to raise money like this for someone they don't even know? AD is apparently a truly blessed individual. He is a life-long Wizard in my book.

Posted by: oddjob | December 5, 2007 12:00 AM

Amen Brother!

Posted by: DS | December 5, 2007 12:42 AM

Nice guys don't have to finish last... The Wiz are OK! Fine holiday season post, Ivan.

Posted by: khrabb | December 5, 2007 4:16 AM

I'm a regular reader of the blog but rarely post. I think this blog is fantastic, I'm a Wizards fan living in London, and it allows me to keep track of the team in a way that I really appreciate. This blog entry is one of the best I've read. As fans, I do think we should be happy that our GM has put together what appears to be a great group of guys on and off the court. I'd much rather cheer for this team than one who could put together another 5-10 wins but with key players who have substantially worse character.

Posted by: AC | December 5, 2007 5:46 AM

Ivan...Very inspiring post. Very real with your discription of what it is like covering sports...something I rarely read about. This is the type of article that should have exposure outside the Washington DC area...This team is just that... a team...with no egos, with real people, willing to connect with their fans and community. I wish you the best with your promising career...

Posted by: Fitz | December 5, 2007 7:15 AM

Good to read a positive story about athletes for a change. Normally all that's reported are negative things. This is a testament to the maturity of the individuals on our team. Go Wiz.
Pound the cavs into submission early tonight so the subs can get some run.

Posted by: freedom0125 | December 5, 2007 7:41 AM

Just a great, great article Ivan. Very inspiring.

Posted by: Drexler | December 5, 2007 8:05 AM

Ivan I am going to join the bandwagan to and say great job and great story. The Sean Taylor thing had me kind of down and mad at the same time this whole week. For once in my life sports has kind of taken a back seat to things I am doing now.

This was a great post to give me some positives that are going on in the sports world versus all of the negatives. Keep up the good work.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 5, 2007 8:33 AM

Ivan, this is your best post thus far and you've had plenty. Thanks for the inspirational writing. We here in DC are lucky to have you at the Post.

AD has always been one of my favorite players, but he just climbed a few more notches on my list.

Posted by: DC Juan | December 5, 2007 8:41 AM

Thank you.

Posted by: David | December 5, 2007 9:00 AM

Great story Ivan. I saw it televised on Comcast and I too was quite moved. I remember the story from last year. Too often we assume athletes are selfish and self righteous when in actuality they are usually quite generous and caring human beings. And I am not surprised. The Wizards organization, from Abe & Irene Pollin, on down to the players, all of them seem to really care about the community in which they play and also they give back to the community from which they came.

Posted by: Lady Wizz | December 5, 2007 9:42 AM

In the wake of the Sean Taylor tragedy, I needed to read a story like this. Great post. Kudo's to A-D and the Wizards. Nice to know that they are giving back and not just to get press about their good deed in the news. I have no idea A-D had contributed to Pata's funeral either.

Posted by: G$ | December 5, 2007 9:48 AM

Ivan, nice work. What a great story to post just as the mad rush of commercialism has begun. After reading your account of Ms. Scales I truly feel blessed for my family, friends and job. Thanks

Posted by: thebigdaddy_dc | December 5, 2007 9:50 AM

Beautiful, Ivan. Just beautiful.

Posted by: Keithinator | December 5, 2007 10:00 AM

That is a great post Ivan. We all know how good our players are on the court, and most of us know how they are off the court. This shows how are teams helps the community and this is a great thing. Thank you for posting this, great job. You are my favorite reporter. Keep up the good work.

.....now lets take those Cavs down by 30 points tonight

Posted by: LooseCannon | December 5, 2007 10:03 AM

Thanks, Ivan. This brightened my day.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 10:08 AM

I usually don't take time out the work day to comment but this piece has really moved me.....

I just want to commend Ivan for this wonderful story and the Wizards for their excellent work with the community (AD in particular).
With all of the black on black crime that you hear so much about in the news, it is truly refreshing to hear these strong black men coming together and helping out people who have truly been victimized by their circumstances.

Posted by: s | December 5, 2007 10:11 AM

Nice Story Ivan, The Wizards/Bullets have been like that as a club for years.

I go back to when I was a kid and used to go to the games in the old Baltimore Civic Center. Abe used to let people come in off the street and warm up in the second half of games if the place wasn't full.I used to see them hand out extra hotdogs and stuff to those people at the end of games.

It led to some crazy crowds in those days, but Abe was trying to help the people in the community that surrounded the place he did business in. But those Whinos, homeless, and hookers cheered like crazy for their Bullets.

Sometimes I wondered how many real paying customers there were back in those days. But they all had a hooping, hollering, good time.

The Wizards might be a Mom and Pop operation that doesn't have the resources like the Mega-rich owners like Cuban. They may not be ran by the head of a giant corporation that has an army of number crunchers that can run the Wiz like a well oiled machine.

But when people call Abe cheap, or label him Dishonest Abe they've really missed the mark. The Pollins have always had big hearts and it is reflected in their players and the people in their organization.

It's been almost 30 years since the glory days when they won the title, but stories like this make them an easy team for me to root for.

Posted by: GM | December 5, 2007 10:37 AM

thank you ivan, a truly touching story.

Posted by: bruce | December 5, 2007 10:58 AM

Man, I love the Wizards. I also love Ivan Carter, in a less fanatical way.

Posted by: Smith | December 5, 2007 11:29 AM

i knew AD falling down on every drive to the basket and getting up every time symbolized so much more.

Posted by: CreditZard | December 5, 2007 11:48 AM

Any word on LeBron? I heard on the Radio he may not play tonight.

Posted by: GM | December 5, 2007 11:56 AM

Thanks for the story, but more importantly thanks Abe for believing that character off the court is just as important as character on the court.

A few years ago Abe put his money where his mouth is and said that this team is going to be about good people, and as a fan that is something that I can really appreciate.

Everyone has flaws, and makes mistakes, happens on this team too, but the culture here is really positive.

Posted by: greg | December 5, 2007 12:03 PM

why don't u say "I am sorry" to etan thomas first!! if u have any moral..

After my interview, about five reporters called me personally to let me know that it was not their intention to disrespect me or my family, but they understood my point of view and how I could have felt that way. Even John Mitchell of the Washington Times, whose article I mentioned, left two voice messages before I had a chance to call him back.

He listened to my perspective, and heard why I took offense to the articles I saw. Not that he agreed with everything I said, but he tried to look at the situation from my perspective and understood. He didn't take offense, he listened. Usually, if you offend someone and you have any respect for them as a human being, even if it wasn't intentional, you will at the least acknowledge that you could have done things a little differently. You definitely wouldn't say that you have a job to do and you stand by everything you said.

Many other reporters left messages on my voicemail saying something to the effect that if they offended me or my family, they apologize and that they genuinely hope and pray for my speedy recovery. I can truly appreciate that, accept it and move on. I have many more important things on my plate.

Unfortunately, one reporter, Ivan Carter of The Washington Post, took a completely different approach. Ivan immediately became defensive and began to not only justify his methods, but act as if I was way off base in my objections to his articles. Instead of being considerate of an extremely delicate situation, he shamefully resorted to smear tactics and insulting accusations in his blog. In his words:

1. Etan never actually read any of the articles written about him in this newspaper and rambled on about what was supposedly written without the relevant "facts" or 2. Etan read a bunch of things and mistakenly thought he'd read some of that stuff in the Post or 3. He flat out fabricated that stuff in that interview for some unknown reason.

I know this guy, or at least I though I knew him and I refuse to believe that his heart is this cold, so I am going to attempt to clarify this for him and anyone else who doesn't understand why I would take issue with the coverage of this whole situation, then I'm going to leave it alone. I have too much to be thankful for and have spent too much time and energy on this already.

An Open Letter to Ivan Carter

First of all, Ivan, I wasn't limiting my objections to your articles. I didn't even mention your name, although I did mention The Washington Post, but that was not the point of my statements. If I somehow made you feel that I was speaking directly to you, that was not my intention. I was referencing about ten diff articles that I read about my situation (including yours) and yes they were unresearched and speculative. You didn't question whether I will live, walk or breathe again, outright, you simply used examples.

Len Bias was used in another story, but yes you did mention Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis and Jason Collier. Here, let me refresh your memory.

Wizards' Thomas has Heart Ailment Irregularity Could Threaten Career By Ivan Carter Wed. Oct 3, 2007

There was absolutely no evidence to support this. There had been nothing said by the doctors that even slightly opened the door to the possibility that my career could be threatened, but that didn't stop you from putting it in your title. But you wonder why I said "speculative and unresearched?" You made conclusive statements without any verification or proof, and you call what I wrote garbage.

More from your article ...

Collier, who had never had any major health problems previously diagnosed, died of a sudden heart rhythm disturbance caused by an abnormally enlarged heart…..

In 2005, then-Chicago Bulls center Eddy Curry was diagnosed as having susceptibility to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a potentially fatal heart condition that was linked to the deaths of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis.

Curry was eventually traded to the New York Knicks, where he is entering his third season with the team. Former Minnesota Timberwolves guard Fred Hoiberg was forced to retire after the 2005-06 season when it was discovered that he had an aneurysm in his aortic root, a condition that could have been fatal had Hoiberg continued to play.

Now in your blog you wrote...

-In the interview, he specifically mentions the Washington Post and says I carelessly tossed out scenarios comparing his health situation to those of "Len Bias, Jason Collier and Hank Gathers." That's interesting because none of the stories written in this paper included the names of Len Bias or Hank Gathers.

Now that's obviously not true. But I don't expect you to go back and re-track that statement. That would involve you admitting that you did something wrong.

At any rate, whatever point you were attempting to convey by citing those examples, were in my opinion poorly illustrated. Maybe, I should give you the benefit of the doubt? Maybe this was simply a matter of carelessness and not maliciousness. To the common reader, you are in fact linking all of the cases together otherwise why would you mention them? You definitely didn't say that their situation was in no way similar to mine. Come on Ivan, you know that. You know the tricks of the trade. Don't insult my intelligence. I know that reporters throw possibilities out there, but they don't say with 100% certainty that it is going to happen; it just makes for a better story if there are drastic possibilities. However, this was not discussing breaking a record. This was with my life.

As far as the questioning if I will live, walk, breathe, much less play again, no in your particular article you didn't say that word for word. Yours was much more inferred by bringing the examples of Fred Hoiberg, who never played again, or Collier or Gathers, or Lewis (may they rest in peace) who never breathed again. Then, to add insult to injury, you say in your blog...

I do find it interesting that in the interview, Etan takes issue with me mentioning Hoiberg and Turiaf but later, he states that he has contacted both of them to discuss his situation.

I refuse to believe that you could possibly miss my entire point that drastically. My perspective is not one that is farfetched. Now if you choose to ignore it because you don't want to look bad, that's one thing. But how can you profess to "actually like the dude," but find such difficulty in understanding my point of view.

For three straight days October 11, 12 and 13th you felt the need to mention Jason Collier. Even after you got the quote from my surgeon, Dr. Schaff, you still had to keep throwing that in there. Of course you say it was for the sole purpose of showing that "the NBA has instituted a series of mandatory tests to detect heart issues."

You probably look at this as me being too sensitive huh? You're probably saying that you have a job to do and that's all you were doing right? Well, if you look at it from my perspective, I have a right to be offended. You act as if I have a problem with you personally, and that couldn't be further from the truth. But the way you covered this entire situation was not only cold but irresponsible. I don't expect you to apologize because you don't feel like you did anything wrong. You were just doing your job. Well, maybe that's the problem.

I see that you got offended by my statement about the various articles, and therefore, wanted to protect yourself by painting the picture that I had no idea what I was talking about, but imagine how I felt after reading what I read. Better yet, imagine how my family felt. I should let you speak to my wife or my mother or my brother or my grandfather so you can hear from their mouths how they felt. Imagine opening the paper only to read cases where the person died, and those cases being linked to what your loved one has. Just try to imagine that before you blog about how way off base I was, and how I didn't have my facts straight.

I did read all of yours and many other articles, And just for your information it's that "putting it in context" that groups the cases together. So you don't have to say this case is linked to that case, or specifically compare them to me, you simply group them together in "context." It's interesting to me that you don't feel as if you did anything wrong. But like you said, you have a job to do, and you stand by everything that you wrote in those stories. Apparently, that's regardless of how it made me or my family feel, or if it was actually true or not.

So in the end, even if you don't feel the need to apologize, I am going to leave this alone. I'm not going to waste time and energy being upset with you or going back and forth. I look at my son's face, and although it hurts me that I can't pick him up right now, I am thankful. I look at my wife's belly, our daughter will be here in December, and I can thank God for everything I have been blessed with. Those are the things that are important. I have already gotten past the hard part. Now I am focused on enjoying life with my family and friends, writing, reading (which is about all I can do right now) and concentrating on getting back to joining my team and playing the game I love.

Posted by: ak47 | December 5, 2007 12:12 PM

This speaks to Antonio Daniels character as a person and a man. I know for a fact the other teams all do wonderful things as well but is is good to hear this specific story about Antonio Daniels and something a bit more positive about the sports world.
Following the death of Taylor, robbery of Antoine Walker and several other players that was not publicized to my knowledge until a few days ago was interesting. Being handcuffed, duck-tapped, robbed & tied up would be enough for me as well. But I'm also aware the fact that these guys had thousands of dollars sitting in their homes the robbers knew was there for the taking is interesting.

Best wishes to:
Antonio "Brave Heart"Daniels.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 12:14 PM

the biggest reason I'm a Wizards' fan is because they exemplify what a team should be both on & off the court from players to management. Thanks Ivan-this was beautiful!

Posted by: RJ | December 5, 2007 12:24 PM

There's a funny, lighthearted article by Steinberg today about the F3 (Future 3). I like it that there are personalities on this team beside Mr. Quirky and none of the guys on this team defer to him. I'm pulling for more PT for F3.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 5, 2007 12:34 PM

Posted by: George Templeton | December 5, 2007 12:39 PM

"And this is story isn't isolated. There are plenty of guys in the NBA who do good things like this. Unfortunately it doesn't get highlighted too often. Thank you for doing that Ivan.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 5, 2007 12:39 PM "

That's what Charles Barkley said on tv once when someone commented about Gilby's charitable ways. CB said most of the guys don't want the perceived glory and limelight that comes out of it. They just take personal satisfaction in that they are helping someone.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 5, 2007 1:04 PM

No disrepect, but AK47 - what are you talking about?

Your remark has nothing to do with the column that everybody else is talking about today.

Keep up the great work Ivan - you are appreciated:)

Posted by: p | December 5, 2007 1:31 PM

ak47.......idiot

Posted by: LooseCannon | December 5, 2007 1:37 PM

Good Grief LooseCannon, what a moron. Thats Etan spouting off at Ivan. One can only gather they've had words "again."

We certainly can't blame GM for having the longest comments heh?

DCMan you're correct, I saw same program as well. Most of the guys, NFL as well like Daniels don't call the press everytime they decide to "give" - they just do it. A Certain player(who shall remain nameless) always calls(keeps em on speed dial) media/press/ESPN if & when he does "anything" The true character shines forth in the anonymity of the giver as is the case of Daniels. Thank God for this tender hearted warrior.

Etan(AK47?)sorry, you felt the need to vent on a public website. A personal letter to Ian Carter would have surficed.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 2:01 PM

You guys are funny!

DO THE RIGHT THING, BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 2:06 PM

Yo Ivan - you just got pumped up as a great writer from the dude on NBA TV (Rick Kamla?). Don't go getting big time on us!

Posted by: AndNone | December 5, 2007 3:17 PM

I also remember Charles Barkley's statement but I also think sometimes when its spread in the media - they can also get bombarded with folks w/their hands out or scams. It was pretty frightening reading the accounts of Antoine Walker, Ben Wallace & a few other players robbery's. There are probably many others who don't report it. They are sitting ducks for nervy thieves. I do recall a UMD grad - now in NBA who was always nervous about being robbed or their wife being kidnapped(for ransome) Constantly had a body guard or "someone" with him @ all times.

Posted by: Santa | December 5, 2007 3:18 PM

Great post Ivan.

Thanks for reminding us about the good that athletes do.

And you gotta love the fact that guys such as Antonio Daniels are so humble about it.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.Net | December 5, 2007 5:30 PM

"Thats exactly right. If you have it to give then give from the heart regardless of who's reading or watching. Its just the right thing to do.

Posted by: Santa | December 5, 2007 03:18 PM "

D@mned if you do, and d@mned if you don't. You can roll w/o protection, and get robbed, or you can roll with protection, and still get robbed. Go ask MC Hammer.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 5, 2007 6:55 PM

Keep up the good work, Ivan. I want to keep tabs on the Wiz, and I value the work of a thoughtful and insightful reporter. Thanks.

Posted by: 7snider7 | December 5, 2007 7:34 PM

Vote for Antonio Daniels as the NBA All Star write in player. You have to register with NBA.com to vote online this year, but it's free and it also means you can listen to the games for free online.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 11:41 PM