Big one

The Wizards haven't beaten a team with a winning record since Dec. 1 when they topped Toronto at the VC. Think about that for a minute. It sort of tells you how big this game is tonight against the Celtics, who have won 10 straight on the road including last night's 86-77 win at New Jersey.

The key tonight will be Brendan Haywood and Andray Blatche because they have the length to bother Kevin Garnett. Brendan should be fresh after not playing a lot last night and Wiz fan shouldl be curious to see whether Blatche is ready to take the next step and show that he can bring energy on back-to-back nights. Remember, Garnett was his man growing up so he should have plenty of motivation to show what he can do tonight.

One note on the Celtics: they could be without PG Rajon Rondo, who took a hard fall last night and has a bruised back. Even if he goes, I give Antonio Daniels the edge at PG. If Rondo can't go, the Celtics will sport a different look because they do not have another pure PG on the roster. Maybe Doc Rivers will suit up.

The other matchup to watch will be Caron Butler against Paul Pierce: they always go at one another. DeShawn Stevenson has really been locked in defensively of late and was at it again last night, hounding Joe Johnson all game while adding 19 points himself. The blocks Stevenson came up with on Marvin Williams and Johnson late in regulation and then in overtime were the keys to the win in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how Eddie splits DeShawn's time between Ray Allen and Pierce.

Remember, he tried using Blatche on Pierce for a spell in the Nov. 2 game at Boston and that didn't go very well. The other key stat from Boston's 103-83 win way back on Nov. 2: The Wiz missed all 16 of their three-point attempts. Haywood had a double double that night and played well. Garnett was a monster though and finished with 22 points, 20 rebounds, 5 dimes, 3 blocks and 3 steals. There is no athlete in sports that I enjoy watching in person more. If you haven't seen him up close, do so. It's hard to describe just how hard the guy plays. It's like every single game is Game 7 of the Finals.

Another key for the Wiz will be getting energy and scoring from the bench. Antawn Jamison played over 48 minutes last night, Butler played 46, Daniels played 48 and Stevenson clocked 40 and believe me as someone who had a courtside view of how hard he played, that was a tough 40. He really brought it.

By Ivan Carter |  January 12, 2008; 3:00 PM ET
Previous: Better Without All-Stars? | Next: Amazing

Comments

Looking forward to the playoff type atmosphere that should be in the house tonight.

Posted by: Section101 | January 12, 2008 4:23 PM

I won't be able to see the game tonight but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. Thankfully I will be able to watch the other Boston game.

What a great game last night. I can't get over it!

Posted by: Ben M. | January 12, 2008 4:41 PM

Glenn Rivers was a one hell of a player. Those 80s Hawks/Bullets were tough - I hated them just as much as the C's and 76ers. But, at least I liked some of their players and some '6ers - screw the Cs.

Posted by: Shotgun | January 12, 2008 5:41 PM

This Celtics team reminds me not of the Bulls but of the early 70s Cowens-Hondo-White Celtics. They're just relentless at both ends, inside and out, and they just wear you down. And both teams were built around an emotionally intense big man. (KG has more length and physical grace, but Cowens had great ups and even scarier intensity.)

Posted by: John Brisker | January 12, 2008 6:20 PM

I want to make one more comment about last night's game against the Hawks.

CBut is clearly not as good of a "break you down" one on one player as Gilby is. For that reason, you can kind of understand if EJ spends one timeout at the end of a tied game and doesn't draw up a play, but just tells Gilby to shoot it. OK, FINE!

After Gilby missed that one on one shot against Joisey and lost, EJ said he'd have Gilby take that shot every time. FINE!

But, the same thing happened last night with CBut. He just let CBut milk the clock and take the shot, which was subsequently blocked by Smith.

C'mon EJ. Let's get a bit creative and draw a play out. Let's see some real coaching EJ!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 12, 2008 6:32 PM

Not only have the Wiz not beat a winning team since Dec. 1, they also haven't been 3 games above .500 since Dec. 15. It would be nice to get both of those off our backs in one night.

Posted by: Washington Ball | January 12, 2008 6:54 PM

Except for Phoenix, I don't think they have played a team over .500 since 1 Dec, so perhaps we should not make too much of this.

In the East there are currently only 5 other teams over .500 and Cleveland and Toronto I believe just recently got over the break even point again.

If they continue to hold their own in games with .500 or below teams, they have a good chance of making the playoffs this year, even without Gilbert.

In February they play some of the good West teams, including a tester Western road trip, before the All Star game. This stretch of eight games may be a key to the success of the season.

Posted by: Tim | January 12, 2008 7:25 PM

Detroit was also over .500.

Posted by: Tim | January 12, 2008 7:26 PM

DCWoman,in 16 games vs Boston, CB hasn't done jack. Hopefully tonight he'll do better and not let Pierce kick him in the rear, AGAIN... He does try to play defense, but against Pierce he just sucks and gives up buckets after buckets.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 12, 2008 8:04 PM

what's the point of the hostility? I agree, DCMan 88 gets on my nerves sometimes too, but his post above was a valid one and not at all as inflammatory as his others...there's no reason to go mud-slinging when it's not warranted. and also, can anybody update on how the wiz are doing? i know they're up by 7, but how are the players doing? (CBut, Jamison, Blatche especially). i noticed that EJ went with a lineup of Mason, Young, Blatche, Jamison, and Songaila for a while there...what's up with that? Is it a matchups thing?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 12, 2008 8:29 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 12, 2008 8:34 PM

swwwweeeeeeet!

Posted by: myshkin | January 12, 2008 10:02 PM

Go Wiz! That's the way you GRIND out a game. I wish I had been in the phone booth tonight--the place must have been crazy.

Posted by: Lou | January 12, 2008 10:11 PM

Great win. I'm very happy that the Wizards were able to pull that one out. Very, very nice...

Posted by: Krem | January 12, 2008 10:11 PM

Excellent gutty win. That's one that makes a difference in the standings at the end of the year.

Off-topic question - I saw a bumper sticker on a car - one of those sideways white oval ones that have OBX or MtP or whatever on them. This one had the blue circle for Agent Zero on it - anyone know where I can score one of those?

Oh and Ivan - I guess one benny of being in Atlanta for a game is you get to be back in the phat seats - saw you courtside.

cj

Posted by: charles jones | January 12, 2008 10:24 PM

Great defensive battle, almost a throwback to 80's style play. Ayers: coach of the year!

Posted by: reispace | January 12, 2008 10:26 PM

What a Scrap! We wanted it more than them! Go Wiz! That defense had a playoff type intensity to it for both teams. I like their resolve these last couple games.

Posted by: Janitor | January 12, 2008 10:28 PM

Who needs Boston's Big Three?

WE GOT OUR OWN BIG THREE!!!!!

AJ, CBut, and DS!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 12, 2008 10:31 PM

Two gritty wins in a row. I'm proud of 'em.

Posted by: Tim | January 12, 2008 10:33 PM

Wow! Sheer desire overcoming an atrocious offensive performance. Fantastic effort.

How about the rebounding advantage 49-30!

Soak it up while you can before the pessimists come in and start rationalizing away all the Wizards hard work.

I should be scared about the rematch on Monday but I think the Wizards can look at their shooting percentage and take away that they can only perform better offensively. Hope the D and rebounding advantage holds.

Great night!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | January 12, 2008 10:34 PM

How wonderful is it that the Wizards keep surprising us this way. Terrific win that is indicative of the effort the Wizards have put forth since Gilbert got hurt. Tremendous on the defensive end. And how about the complete shutdown of the Celtics Big 3 in the fourth quarter! Posey was the only thing they had working until the last 1:30.
BTH getting big rebounds (even if the refs blew the shot clock call), Stevenson making big plays at the defensive end, huge 3 from Daniels, clutch foul shooting from Tough Juice. What a bonanza of things to celebrate.
I just hope that whatever happens Monday in Boston they don't empty their tank for the game on Tuesday.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 12, 2008 11:01 PM

Who needs Boston's Big Three?

WE GOT OUR OWN BIG THREE!!!!!

AJ, CBut, and DS!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 12, 2008 10:31 PM

Wow, that can't be DC Man, can it? Giving props to DS-2? Shocking! :)

NY had a few minutes there where he snapped our offense out of its slump.

Very nice win all around, but it's clear how good teams are gonna play us on D--pressuring the ball just outside the three point line.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 12, 2008 11:27 PM

Ivan, I saw you over there talking with Al Saunders, lined up behind Kelly Johnson and Lindsey. Did you get the scoop on the skins? :)

Posted by: Section101 | January 12, 2008 11:31 PM

DS can be hot, or he can be invisible. I think his confidence is up now with his offensive game, and of course, it helps that both CBut and AJ are having career years to take pressure off him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 12, 2008 11:42 PM

The atmosphere inside the phone booth tonight was electric for the first time in a long time. It was a playoff feeling and a real playoff kind of game.....very physical, half court, defensive, make-every-possession-count. The Wiz played tremendous defense all night and it definitely sapped their energy on offense, along with playing an OT game the night before. Chock this win up to leadership, poise and character...a real gut check. When the Celtics were up by 9 in the 3rd, the Wiz could have folded but they didn't and thanks to great hustle and energy from the bench they stayed in the game until the starters could find a way to win in the final 2 minutes.

Posted by: arnie | January 12, 2008 11:43 PM

Cot Damn... that is whats really good. Jamison is hitting the boards hard-body lately.

Posted by: Jason | January 12, 2008 11:52 PM

"By the way, where are you folks who have been screaming since the summer about Ernie choosing to keep Stevenson instead of the Spanish Juan Dixon? Any second thoughts you would admit to now?

Posted by: arnie | January 12, 2008 11:43 PM "

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. DS works great when he's got 2 big guns taking the heat in front of him. Can he do anything if the pressure is on him or the team's other top defenders are on him? Remains to be seen.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 12, 2008 11:55 PM

AJ with 16 rebounds !. We outrebounded them 49-30. It's the reason we shoot 11% from 3 and 37% from the field and still win. I'd vote him as our MVP this season as good a year as CB has had. We've been missing that big time rebounder for years and now that he's dedicated himself to crashing, we don't have to shoot a high % every night to be in it. Great win, guys. Good games by DS and AB.
I hate to nitpick but Songaila sure looked helpless at times. He turned it over and looked a couple steps slow. Hope he can turn it around soon. Hoping for a Pech sighting soon, too !

Posted by: mark | January 12, 2008 11:56 PM

Also, it's about time we were on the positive end of a cheat by the refs. We've been on the losing end of about 500 straight cheats since I've been watching this team. That shot clock call at the end was critical. Wonder why they didn't consult instant replay.

Posted by: mark | January 12, 2008 11:57 PM

interesting caption included in the photos of the game on WaPo .com:
Boston Celtics' Kendrick Perkins (43) loses the ball as SHE is double-teamed by Washington Wizards' Caron Butler, left, and Antawn Jamison during the first half of their NBA basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 12, 2008, in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Posted by: PsotPoster | January 13, 2008 12:25 AM

The refs blew that call but it only netted one point for the Wiz and didn't change the outcome or even the strategy on the way to the outcome.

As far as DS, yeah he's got CB and AJ in front of him, but both of them are drawing matchups with forwards. With Gil out he's getting all the attention defensively at the guard position. And whatever happens on offense the guy is playing pretty good defense lately. I think it's a bit overblown calling himself the key-master or whatever it was in yesterday's Post. But still, he's playing very solid on-ball defense and managing to kick in 19 points the past couple games.

JCN is a small streaky scorer with little defensive ability. It was a much better move to lock DS into a contract and let JCN go play ball with his big buddy (not that Ernie had a lot of choice other than let Juan Carlos rot in Europe). All the JCN whiners on this board over the summer should own up, as many of us (former) Brendan bashers have done.

Posted by: Prazak | January 13, 2008 12:40 AM

What a back to back set. Both games are one's they would have lost last year. The difference is the D. I still get upset about the big men double teaming at the top and their slow rotations back into the middle (it kills them for defensive rebounding position and allows for too many easy entry passes), as well as their other major flaw, over-running at guys on the wings, but rarely this year (and even less lately) have I complained about their commitment to actually playing defense. Tonight was a whole 'nother level. They could have easily backed down (in the 2nd half the Boston defense was ferocious), but tonight (and last night) they held their own and made all the plays down the stretch. And you really have to give it up to Antawn ... his offensive game was really off, but again he was a MAN on the boards and played good switching defense. Man, what a great win! Listen, their record since the 0-5 start is 19-10 ... this ain't no fluke. The Wiz are becoming a really good team! Once Gilbert is back, no one, and I mean no one, will want to play them in a 7 game series.

Posted by: westcoastwizard | January 13, 2008 1:02 AM

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw the Wiz play D as consistently as they've done for long stretches of this year, and I have to go way back.

This team is developing a toughness, too. I thought when they got down in the 3rd quarter that they'd roll over. Nope. Daniels hits a huge three, and Stevenson drops three FTs, cool as a cucumber.

Great, great win. No Arenas, Jamison gets 10 points, and we beat a 30-4 team. As Eddie said after the game, however, it won't mean much unless they build on it.

As mark said, when we play defense like this and hit the boards like crazy, it takes some of the pressure off to not always have to play great offensively. Make no mistake: defense and rebounding were the difference. Well done, boys.

Posted by: Keithinator | January 13, 2008 1:04 AM

A very nice win. DS vs Ray Allen went BIG in our direction, the great forwards washed, the center matchup favored us substantially and not having Rondo hurt the Celts too, but that's the name of the game. Tonight should be interesting in Beantown.

Posted by: khrabb | January 13, 2008 1:04 AM

And Mark, I agree with you, Songalia looks very slow and has a hard time getting his shot off. That's why he is missing so much. And unlike last year when I thought he was a very smart player (in his limited time), this year I've seen him make a LOT of boneheaded plays. I'm dreaming of Pech (who impressed me greatly in the summer league) being healthy and taking most of his minutes.

Posted by: westcoastwizard | January 13, 2008 1:04 AM

I'm impressed. I was on EJ's case all last season, but man...he's got our boyz playing defense!! And we won a back to back, when that would have been an assured loss in the past...EDDIE JORDAN CAN COACH!!! i can't believe i just wrote that.

Posted by: DC | January 13, 2008 1:08 AM

I will build off of Arnie's comments, I was at the game tonight as well. Very intense atmosphere this evening: clearly, players were fired up as was the crowd. I would estimate about 1/4 to 1/3 Celtics fans. But they were pretty good natured and good sports (might have helped that the Pats were looking good at the time).

It's interesting: the atmosphere was so charged up that I at least didn't notice the failings of the team (i.e. horrendous shooting percentage) untl I examined the box score a few quarters in.

The phone booth was going crazy. I loved it as a DC fan!!! It was sloppy basketball but the effort was there even if the execution wasn't. Very, very entertaining and I lovec crowing at the Celts fans as they slunk off.

(of course, the worm could turn in a couple 'a days.)

Posted by: duk | January 13, 2008 2:20 AM

Wiz poor shooting percentage is directly attributable to the Celtic's D, not sloppy offensive play. It's utterly amazing that the Wiz were able to match their defensive intensity.

Blatche seems to have snapped out of his funk - guess the locker room switches and EJ calling him out has helped. NY also played some steady ball last night.

Second straight game AD provides the key play for the victory. All the more reason when Gil is ready, he should come in off the bench at first. Not only because it's prudent, but also to recognize AD's enormous contribution while Gil's been out.

This team really keeps surprising me too. I had assumed they would struggle to stay .500 with the tough schedule these next 6-8 weeks, but I'm going to have to reassess.

Posted by: reispace | January 13, 2008 9:08 AM

One more thought: if it does come down to Celtics vs Spurs in the Finals, I'm pretty certain the Spurs will be studying last night's game very closely...

Posted by: reispace | January 13, 2008 9:22 AM

the VC was intense last night, as others have said, but for my taste way too many green jerseys in the crowd. i also thought the defensive job BH and AJ did on KG was phenomenal. they kept him off the boards all night. DSteve has been a different player the past few games. lets home this a big trend. DSong has lost his shot, he is still making good passes and playing his normal avg D, but we got him for his deadly midrange jumper which isnt there this season, so far. AB is starting to show some maturity we have never seen before--bravo, keep it up. AD is just clutch. And I thought Eddie did a nice job with the rotation tonight...was wondering when he was going to bring BH back in during the last 5-6 minutes, and I think he the most out of AB and then timed it very well with BH for the last 4 min. The Wiz may get killed by 20 points tomorrow night in Boston, but this one is still something to build on.

Posted by: oddjob | January 13, 2008 9:32 AM

Excellent grind it out win! I hope that Blatche was not hurt much and will be able to play tomorrow. I still saw a lot of jump shots with no one near or even making a move for offensive rebounds. The team started retreating as soon as the ball left the shooter's hands. Who was it from Atlanta last Friday that took three steps into the key area and still got the rebound over three Wiz? We need that kind of rebounding effort from Haywood, Blatche and even the guards.

Posted by: rgz | January 13, 2008 10:56 AM

Incredible game. That makes 2 great victories this year. We played inspired defense all night and completely took over in the fourth quarter.

Note to all in here, this is the first team we've beaten with a winning record since Dec 1st.

We have a hellish schedule ahead of us. We can only hope that we continue to play with this type of intensity, if we do and somehow make it out of February with a .500 record that would be great achievement.

Posted by: JSchon | January 13, 2008 10:57 AM

DS has been playing great recently but honestly he is an average shooter. He is on our team for 1 reason, he plays great man to man perimeter defense. He is the 5th option when GA comes back.

GA and NY are the only 2 players who can truly create their own shot.

Posted by: JSchon | January 13, 2008 11:06 AM

Anyone else think Ray Allen is just about DONE. He is still a lights out shooter when hes open on the perimeter, but besides that, yikes. I was praying for him to handle the rock, Stevenson and co. were stealing dudes lunch money, err, i mean keys, all night. Also, did he look a little sickly to anyone else last night? My girl said he looked like he was a Cancer patient, and as sad as it is, I had to kinda agree. I still think the trade worked out in there favor as he will get a ton of open looks with KG and Pierce, but really, how long can the Celtics keep this up without a true point. In my opinion there is no chance they win the chip' or even get to the finals without a solid #1 point on the roster. Not to mention Doc Rivers is still a subpar coach, and he will be exposed.

It's nice to see Deshawn solidifying himself as a key starter after he struggled for consistency earlier in the season. He's been a bully at the end of games and brings a toughness to the perimeter we lack at times. If Arenas can come back and play within the team game, lookout. WIZ could be a sleeper in the playoffs.

Posted by: DT | January 13, 2008 11:24 AM

It was definitely a playoff atmosphere, and as everyone has been saying, it was full-on electric. I know that most of the lower level, at least, was standing and cheering for the last few minutes of the game - except for the Celtics fans behind me, ha!

For anyone bringing up the refs blowing the shot clock and that netting us one point, keep in mind that there was a replay of a Celtics 3-pointer (by Pierce?) where it looked like the toe of the shooter was on the line. That's actually reviewable, but it was ultimately a wash with that other bad call.

Posted by: VeCente115 | January 13, 2008 11:26 AM

JSchon be careful! The mere mention of GA will bring DCWoman out of his mom's basement and into a frenzy!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 13, 2008 11:36 AM

The refs sure blew that call on KG tripping on his own feet! Even if Mason had touched him (which he didn't), it shouldn't have been a flagrant foul at all. Shady call.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 13, 2008 11:39 AM

DT, Rondo isn't a great point guard right now but on that C team, he is pretty good. He doesn't necessarily have to create for the team much with The Big 3 passing the ball well. Rondo's job is to bring the ball up if a defense presses them and then to play good defense on the opposing PG. Those are his strengths and he has been doing it really well even for his rookie year.

He has even seen the defense sag off him a bit too much that he sees the driving lane and henceforth his scoring and shooting percentage has been higher than expected. He has plenty of quickness and strength to drive to the hole on that team. Perkins is actually the weakest link on that starting lineup, not Rondo as many probably expected, including myself.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 13, 2008 11:46 AM

rgz, not sure what you're talking about here. The Wiz had 20 offensive rebounds to Boston's 7. That's a huge disparity, and the reason we won the game.

Anon - good call on the KG tripping call. Although when I first saw it, I also thought Mason had fouled him, so I'll cut the refs a little slack. Still, it definitely balanced out the 24-second shot clock violation blown call in the Wiz' favor.

It would be huge for the Wiz, coming up on this tough stretch, for DeShawn to keep bringing it like this.

Posted by: Keithinator | January 13, 2008 11:47 AM

Being here in the ATL i have to listen to the front running hawks fans,who are always in my face telling me how the hawks are going to blow by the WIZ in the SE div.However I know better the WIZ are the real deal.Last nights game proves one thing when you play defense anything can happen in the immortal words of Al Pacino from the movie HEAT "IS THIS CREW GOOD OR WHAT" LETS GO DC5.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | January 13, 2008 11:51 AM

Posted by: | January 13, 2008 11:39 AM

It wasn't a flagrant foul, it was a clear path to the basket foul. Although the replay clearly showed KG tripping on himself, you gotta believe that Mason made contact, otherwise he would've complained about the call. (I wasn't at the game, so maybe he did complain and the TV didn't show it.)

Posted by: Anonymous | January 13, 2008 11:57 AM

Unbelievable game last night. The entire team played with intensity and, as state, never gave up when it looked like Boston was closing it out. Just hope Monday's game is a good game; that would be good enough for me. Stevenson has played great these past games, and i wanted him to stay since he played good most of last season. Bottom line, I like the whole team!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 13, 2008 12:11 PM

I was at the game last night. Packed house, both teams played good D. We limited Ray Allen to 3 for 13 shooting. We didn't shoot well ourselves either. Jamison missed all outside shots, but got 9 offensive rebounds. I also think Butler should ease up on his new-found 3 pt shots a little bit, he is 1 for 11 in the last 3 games (Wizards as a team shot only 2 for 18 last night). But his intensity is always admirable.

It is good that Wizards came back on 4th quarter. Blatche and Young played well for the 2nd consecutive game. Haywood didn't play well at first, but he made up for it in the 4th quarter. Played good D, getting loose balls, something that does not show up on stats.

I think one of the biggest improvements for the team this season is free throw shooting. Wizards shot 90% last night. Stevenson, a career 69% shooter made all 8 of his free throws, in crunch time no less. Both he and Haywood have up their FT% this season to the respectable range (Stevenson: 69% to 76%, Haywood: 61% to 72%). We no longer have weaknesses in the team free throws like previous seasons (Haywood, Etan, Ruffin, etc.), very important for a close game like last night. The shooting coach the team hired has paid off!

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 13, 2008 12:47 PM

"GA and NY are the only 2 players who can truly create their own shot.

Posted by: JSchon | January 13, 2008 11:06 AM "

Too bad that skill is not critical for a Princeton style offense...only a helter skelter offense...hmmmmm....

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 13, 2008 12:50 PM

Impressive win last night. Really like the defensive effort. Ray Allen was basically a no-show last night.

One note - NYoung's performance towards the end of the third quarter was cringe inducing. I think he had 4 TOs in a span of 3 mins. He will be a special talent in the future but is apparently still learning the game as a rookie.

Posted by: Wizzz | January 13, 2008 12:56 PM

In case anyone cares, EG reports that ET is starting to work out and wants to make a comeback this season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 13, 2008 1:03 PM

Keithinator, I know Jamison got a lot of offensive rebounds last night. He was 4 of 15. FG% was also 37% for the whole team. You also have to see the number of jumpshots missed, where the situation is: Jamison at the corner (usually) shooting, the center (specially when it's Songaila) at the top of the key, guards already backpedalling. Everyone sort of just freezes then gives up and starts running back for defense. Specially when AJ is about to shoot his corner three-pointer, CB and the Center should try to get close. It is a little more visible when the opposing team is a good defensive team like Boston is. Anyway, hope that there's less of that standing around on Monday.

Posted by: rgz | January 13, 2008 1:31 PM

i think it would be nice for ET to come back this year. it would be great to have him at practices, but I dont see him getting any min during games. Dont want to disrupt the BH/AB combo at center. Would like to see AJ get some rest at PF with his backupd at PF DSong working his way out of his shooting slump this year plus want to see Pech get what PF min are left. He could quickly become a surg of energy and scoring off the bench. That doesnt leave any time for ET unless someone gets hurt, gf.

Did anybody catch that quote from Kevin Garnett after the game? "They've been playing very good basketball of late... They're probably playing a little bit better without Arenas." in the Boston Globe. Was he sincere or just playing head games with Arenas for when he eventually returns...I wonder how many NBA players share that same opinion???

Posted by: oddjob | January 13, 2008 2:35 PM

Ivan, the besides Toronto, the Wiz will also play the Knicks in consecutive games on 15 & 18 Jan.

Posted by: Tim | January 13, 2008 2:36 PM

Anon is right, it was not a flagrant foul on KG. It did look like from the TV footage that Mason pushed (nudged?) KG in the back.

Depending on how hard this "push" really was, could this have also caused KG to trip over his own feet?

Posted by: Tim | January 13, 2008 2:57 PM

I think coaches Ayers and Hopla deserve to get assists on last nights win along with the Wiz's newfound mental and physical toughness.

Posted by: Tim | January 13, 2008 3:00 PM

I don't care what offense you're running, you need a guy like Gil (and Nick) who can create their own shots. There was a stretch last night in the 3rd when Boston was playing lock-down defense and the Wiz couldn't buy a shot out of their offense, and Nick put the ball on the floor, faked right, pivoted for a fade-away that was all net. You need that in the game of basketball. Yeah he also got sloppy, but let the kid play it out and he might just become a big contributor come playoff time.

The Wiz are starting to look deep at the guard position for the first time in a long time.

As for the KG tripping call, the Comcast guys didn't comment on it but I thought one of the replays showed pretty clearly that Roger pulled KG's jersey right before he tripped. Maybe that didn't cause KG to trip, but the ref made a reasonable clear-path call.

Posted by: Prazak | January 13, 2008 5:04 PM

Agree with Prazak- the celtic defense was smothering last night and caused a multitude of shot clock violations (one more than the refs called) and a huge number of last second bad shots (Daniels' 3 pointer at the 1:51 mark that put the Wiz ahead was one of the only last second shots that went in. On a couple of possessions NY showed his singular ability to get an open shot that eluded Jamison and Butler all night. Gil obviously can also do this and would have definitely caused problems for the Celtics last night. Every offensive system needs a guy who can break down a defense and create offense even when the
D is tight. The Wiz can be a competitive and cohesive team without Gil but they can be a special team with him, provided he adapts to some of the new-found strengths discovered in his absence.

Posted by: arnie | January 13, 2008 5:18 PM

Posted by: DC Man88
-------------------------------------------

Etan better start practice shooting free throw first:
1. Not as demanding to his heart condition.
2. Haywood has upped his FT% from 60% to 72%, it is Etan's turn to improve too.

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 13, 2008 6:55 PM

You're DC Man88... The Princeton Offense doesn't need a player to be able to create his shot... but just like every team in the NBA and college and High School and house leagues across the nation, offensive sets change during every game.

There are dozens of set plays that the Wizards run that arent related to the Princeton Offense.

Posted by: JSchon | January 13, 2008 9:18 PM

Great, so EJ shouldn't try to sell us that he's a Princeton Offense expert and that Les BouleS are running that offense. Whenever Gilby is in the game, it's Helter Skelter and no defense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 13, 2008 9:49 PM

Just because you have a player who takes his shots outside the offense doesn't mean you're not running an offense. And I don't care how good your sets are, you need a guy like Gil who can get shots when the defense is smothering or when the passes are getting bobbled.

I think it will be really interesting to see how Gil responds to the progress the team has made in his absence. They're really playing within the offense, moving well without the ball, sharing the ball well among themselves, buckling down on defense. Will Gil try to complement what's going on with his considerable skills? Or will he try too hard to re-establish himself?

Posted by: Prazak | January 13, 2008 10:04 PM

I don't disagree with people going outside the offense and trying to create a shot when the offense is locked down.

The problem these past few seasons is watching Gilby bring the ball up the court and then jack up a bomb from beyond the arch for no good reason, or taking a drive towards the basket without even first passing the ball while everyone is standing around watching.

Then, you don't get in front of a tv camera and complain about how being asked to play D is taking away from your offensive game, or how the coach should sh#t can the Princeton and play helter skelter. Go drum up an excuse for all that BS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 13, 2008 10:37 PM

Great game!!! What a great game! Man they played hard, they took the challenge and met it! Love to see that tough attitude and unwillingness to back down from anybody. Team showed alot of fight and grit. Stevenson played great! Jamison wasn't shooting well, but man he was great on the boards! Love to see the toughness this team has!

Posted by: Darnell | January 13, 2008 10:58 PM

Damn straight DCman88

GOtta give you some love for seeing it all soo clearly!

Gilby: 1, H, 2, 6, A, B, 5, 8.

We gotta get you a laura mask for the next home game!

shazammm!

Posted by: i smoke | January 13, 2008 11:02 PM

I don't think Laura needs masks b/c otherwise she wouldn't have been knocked up by Gilby twice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 13, 2008 11:03 PM

I smoke brings the validation!
To DCman-omination!

Posted by: i smoke | January 13, 2008 11:04 PM

i meant you could wear a Laura mask - so gilby would think you was laura and...

ahhh sheeese, you pulling my leg I know you get it. My bad, dog. You always get it!

Posted by: i smoke | January 13, 2008 11:05 PM

Speaking of good on the boards, DCman has been wreaking havok on these boards.

respect

Posted by: i smoke | January 13, 2008 11:12 PM

Dude, if you want to worship me, go tell Gilby to request to be traded.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 13, 2008 11:14 PM

It was an amazing win for the Wiz last night. After an effort like that, you're being a little rough to make any negative comments at all. Great, great defensive pressure by both teams. When the third quarter started, I thought that the Celtic's half court defensive pressure was the best I've seen this year, but the Wizards truly hung in there. Even though I read some critical comments, I thought that Nick Young showed that he's really the only one (without Gil) who can creat his own shot. Against that pressure, a couple of his baskets were critical and kept us close.

Posted by: Larry Roberts | January 14, 2008 12:28 AM

Ditto that, Larry. Anyone who's an actual fan of the team (as opposed to someone with an agenda for or against certain players or coaches) shouldn't have anything to complain about. They won an ugly game against the best team in the NBA, mostly with defense and hustle.

Posted by: kalorama | January 14, 2008 3:15 AM

Haha

Oh man that is great, I should totally do that. Wouldn't that be hilarious!

I could say 'Gilby you should ask to be traded!'

Man... that is too much, how do you come up with this?

I bet you it would take Gilby a week to figure out how to respond. DCman you are the man! Hollywood is calling you...

Hilarious.

Posted by: i smoke | January 14, 2008 4:39 AM

i smoke, what are you smoking?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 6:44 AM

Seems to me that when we need a shot and there are only a few seconds left, CB is isolated at the top of the key. Same play we used to run for Larry Hughes and Gilbert. All 'Gilby' hating aside, it's necessary to have players who can create their own shot. Every team in the league isolates. The whole point of basketball is to find the mismatch and exploit it. Like JSchon said, we run multiple sets per game. Everyone knows everyone else's offense in this league so all teams mix it up. Princeton may be our primary half court set but it's far from the only one we use.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 7:47 AM

As great a win as it was, truth is that Ray Allen is on the downside and we should exploit him every chance we get. His numbers are down in every category from his career numbers besides turnovers. He's only shooting 41% this year. As long as we don't leave him open and we put a hand in his face, we can expose him as a liability cuz he plays no defense. Garnett, while intense and talented, is what he thought he was...a jump shooting big man who is a good rebounder. If you want to crown him, then go ahead and crown his azz. He'll have nights when he misses if you put a relatively mobile big man on him and keep a hand in his face. AB and BTH fit that bill. When his jump shot isn't falling, he's Thurl Bailey.

Pierce is the problem for us usually. Normally he lights up whoever is on him...Jeffries, CB, etc. If we can concentrate on slowing him down, that Celtics team is beatable. It helped to have Big Baby on the sidelines. I'm not sure what rebounding advantage we would have had with him in the game. All in all, we match up fairly well with them. We played HORRIBLY on offense and turned the ball over a ton but still won. Defense had a lot to do with it but a good portion of the shots were open jumpers. I can only imagine what kind of game it would be if both teams were on and hitting their shots. I like our chances against these Celts.
Of course, I hate the Red Sox. I hate the patriots. I hate the Celts. I hate the Bruins. I hate Bill Simmons. I don't even like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 8:03 AM

On a side note:
How bout them Cowboys ? The Skins season was more successful than theirs, I would argue. At the 12 game mark, they were expected to challenge for the Bowl. We were expected to do nothing. We're both at home after one playoff game watching on our 72 inch plasma tv's. In the words of our immortal 88,
BWAHAHAHAHA !

Oh yeah. I hate the Cowoys most of all.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 8:05 AM

I laughed and pointed at the TV when Jerry Jones was on the sideline on the final Cowboy offensive play. I hate the Cowboys and Giants, but losing at home sent 65,000 Cowboy fans crying home. Now its time to roots for Brett.

Back to the Wizards. I Smoke, you are right on, I dont you said anything about the Wizards but keep it coming.

Ok, back to the Wizards. All I want tonight is for us to compete, have the last 5 minutes of the game mean something.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 9:00 AM

AJ is playing as well as KG.... just putting it out there. More dbl dbls than any forward in the East...I'm just sayin'...
AJ doesn't have the assists totals and shoots 10% lower than KG but KG's 3 point % is 0.000. Not too good. They are different types of players, so comparing them is like apples to oranges but I really admire what AJ has done this year and taking everything into consideration INCLUDING SALARIES, I'd take AJ.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 9:52 AM

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 09:52 AM

If that's true, then you're obviously off your rocker. KG is one of the top defenders in the league and can dominate games offensively as easily as AJ. And yeah, he's shooting 0% from the three point line. 0 for 6. Big whoop. KG is a much better rebounder than AJ. AJ may get more per game, but that's because the Wizards play at a much faster pace than the Celtics.

AB is too weak to handle him and BTH is too slow.

On another note, the Wizards get a big win and DCMan reverts to being DCMan. Big shocker there huh? Nobody thought he really turned over a new leaf.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 10:10 AM

Mark... you usually make sense and make good points... But comparing AJ to Kg is absurd.

KG's defense alone is enough to tip the scales dramatically in his favor. AJ has a knack for getting rebounds but he is probably the worst defender on the Wizards roster.

They are two different types of players but KG often gets double teamed and still shots at 55% from the floor, 11% more than AJ.

There is reason why KG is MVP candidate and AJ probably wont make the All-Star team.

Put KG on the Wiz instead of the AJ, we might be better than 30-5.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 10:22 AM

I've said it before:
Name THE ONLY Eastern Conference Forward averaging 20 and 10.....??

Antawn Jamison

One of only 2 players averaging 20/10 in the East. Dwight Howard, a Center, is the other.

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 10:24 AM

Rook...
I know that stat, its great... I love AJ...

But there is more to a player than points and rebounds...

I'm not saying AJ isnt good... I'm saying KG is a better all-around player, defensively superior.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 10:30 AM

That's the reason I capitalized the salaries part. KG is getting 23.75 mill. AJ is getting 16. and isn't up to par defensively but opens up the floor on offense by hitting 3's. Also, his rebound number is higher than KG's. Couldn't you get AJ and another 7 mill guy who can give you what KG gives you? We can be sure that Aj is getting less than that next year, too.
I made sure to say he's playing as well as KG. No way I'm saying he's a better player. KG gets a couple blocks a game.
Depending upon what you're trying to do, do you want better spacing (for the Princeton offense, spacing is everything) by having a 3 point threat at PF or do you want a higher percentage/defender type guy?
KG is a better individual player, no doubt. CB and Aj's salaries combined add up to 24 mill. Give me them over KG any day.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 10:37 AM

I'm not trying to say which player is better, KG or AJ. Obviously, if I were building a team, I'd pick KG.

But you also said that AJ "wont make the All-Star team."

My point is that he SHOULD..

He's having a better year than Bosh, Pierce, and all those other guys ahead of him in the fan voting - which, by the way is a joke. Jamison is not even in the top 10.

6th in the LEAGUE in rebounding; and all 5 players ahead of him are Centers. At 6'9", the guy is flat bringing it on the boards every night. AND, oh by the way, scoring 21 a game as well...

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 10:41 AM

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 10:45 AM

I'm with you, Rook. I was leading the band on bashing AJ for the past couple years because I thought he was so weak defensively that it threw our whole team off. This year, I just admire the heart and the way he's playing. You know what they say about ppl in contract years...

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 10:47 AM

There is situation where you would ever say that KG is a liability on the court. Sometimes if AJ is having a bad shooting night he becomes a liability because he is one dimensional because he doesnt play good one on one d or team defense.

AJ is 21ppg 11rpg
KG is 19ppg 10rpg

AJ is also averaging about 5 more minutes per game too, which isnt a good thing. KG's numbers are better than AJ's per 48 minutes.

I think 24 million per year for KG with all of his skills is right. Also, his contract extension pay him 20 million a year. 3/60.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 10:53 AM

There isnt a situation where you would ever say that KG is a liability on the court. Sometimes if AJ is having a bad shooting night he becomes a liability because he is one dimensional because he doesnt play good one on one d or team defense.

AJ is 21ppg 11rpg
KG is 19ppg 10rpg

I also think that if AJ doesnt make the All-Star team it would be a joke. AJ definitely don an All-Star jersey.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 10:56 AM

Put KG on the Wiz instead of the AJ, we might be better than 30-5.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 10:22 AM

Put KG on the Wizards (instead of AJ) and you'd have the same problem that Indiana has with O'Neal. A post-up big-man jump shooter, in an offense that does not feature post play. The middle would be clogged... with no outside threat - let's face it, Stevenson is not a consistent enough 3-point threat to change a defense, and although he's a better 3-point shooter this year, Butler is not that threat either.

The Princeton style movement stops when you put a big man in the low post.

So - the Wiz defense would be better, but I don't see how they score enough to be a better team.

Now bring Arenas back, and that's a different story.

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 11:01 AM

I was thinking GA, CB, KG, DS and BH would be better than 30-5.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 11:11 AM

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 11:17 AM

The Princeton style movement stops when you put a big man in the low post.

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 11:01 AM

Rook, according to coach Mike O'Koren, there are three versions of the Princeton. With the center at low post, at top of key or at the elbow.

Posted by: rgz | January 14, 2008 11:22 AM

KG is really not a low post kinda guy, never has been except now cause they don't have anyone better in Boston for that. If Jefferson was still there, then he'd be the low post player with KG playing the high post. KG is also in the low post to create mismatches and use his passing for the inside to outside game that many successful teams have had in Shaq and Duncan, past and present.

I concede that DS is not the shooter that will take the most advantage in this inside/out type of offense like a Ray Allen or Redd shooter but good outside shooters that cannot create their own shots aren't super hard to find. It's much harder to find that big man that rebounds, defends, blocks, and passes the ball well, and still give you about 20ppg. In fact, there's less than 5 in the whole league.

Any team will be that much better with a KG as a teammate, it just may need a shuffling of the roster to compliment him better. As of right now, AJ works well together with the way the Wiz are constructed with Gil, DS, Caron, and Brendan.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 11:23 AM

I was thinking GA, CB, KG, DS and BH would be better than 30-5.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 11:11 AM

Jordan would still have to change the offense. KG has never played in a motion offense like the Princeton. Not that he couldn't adapt, but it would probably be better to change the offense to fit the personnel.

That kind of change might take some time before the Offense would gel.

Obviously, with two 7-footers starting, interior defense would be outstanding - and it would have to be unless Arenas changed his defensive habits and stayed in front of his man. (slight poke at Arenas' ole defense there)---

Still, I think the adjustment period alone would mean more losses than just 5.

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 11:25 AM

I also thought that the KG, PP and RA threesome would need some time to put it together. Maybe they dont have together yet, if thats the case, that would be scary.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 11:31 AM

"Uh Oh . Some one mentioned GA. That means a comment is about to be posted from ....wait for it....

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 11:17 AM "

Get a life loser.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 11:38 AM

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 11:31 AM

Yeah - my thoughts exactly. And Doc Rivers is not exactly known as an "offensive genius"....

I also thought that both Pierce and Allen would be prone to injuries (given the history last year). Although Allen does not look right, both have played most of the year so far. Also, Ainge was able to cobble together a servicable bench - something that I thought could never happen after they added both Allen and KG's salaries to Pierce's.

So - yes, Boston has surprised me; but one injury to Pierce or KG, and their season would be done.

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 11:42 AM

too predictable.

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 11:43 AM

No one mentioned you, 88. Feeling a little guilty there, buddy ?
I actually have a life...winner !

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 11:44 AM

88, With the Wiz beating Boston and the Cowboys losing, not even a horse comment from you could ruin my day. :)

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 11:45 AM

GA

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 11:47 AM

I LOVE IT. Just fantastic hustle. This stuff makes me so proud to be forever part of an underdogged city in all professional sports, except for MLS. F**K Boston/New York sports

GO WIZARDS!!!!!.

PS: Sorry Brendan Haywood, I wanted you gone and you're mister consistent now. Thanks for making me look like an idiot.

JAMMMMMMM!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | January 14, 2008 11:48 AM

Ohhh man, he dropped it on you!

High Five DCman!
-g

Posted by: i smoke | January 14, 2008 11:48 AM

Two great back to back wins! Assistant Coaches Ayers and Hopla should really get some credit for the Wizards improved defense and free throw shooting which has been key this year.

Smothering playoff intensity defensive struggle. Great lockdown defense on both sides. Anyone that thinks that Grunfeld should have let Stevenson go to bring in Navarro should have gotten a big clue as to what the Wizards were thinking over the weekend. The Wiz had to have a big defensive minded two guard to match up with all of the big two's in the east.

Navarro would have been nice to have as a three point specialist off the bench. That seems to be the only NBA level talent that he seems to possess at this point, but Stevenson had to be here to give this team a lockdown defender.

Watching Boston come out in the third with their smothering D had to make me think. I've watched alot of NBA ball, always thought that Ray Allen and Paul Peirce were great offensive players, kind of guys that could get hot and carry a team.

But neither has ever been more then what you would call average NBA defenders. They could make defensive plays and had the physical ability to do it, but neither ever excerted alot of their effort on defense.

But they were guys that were being asked to carry heavy loads offensively. Both were asked to put up 25-30 points a night for their teams to have a chance to win. I'm not the stats guy on this site, but I bet if it was checked their teams' winning percentage went way up when they logged 30 or more.

Very similar to what the Wizards needed from Gilbert Arenas to win. only difference was Gil was doing it enough to get the Wiz into the playoffs and those guys were breaking down under the load and their team's were in the lottery.

But now Peirce and Allen look like defensive monsters against some teams, their scoring is down but both are playing a more rounded game and doing what's needed to make Boston into a top tier team.

Why are we to beleive that Gilbert Arenas at a younger age won't be able to adapt his game like Pierce and Allen have? This team now has more scoring options then Arenas has played with in his 4 years here.

Arenas has already established his individual stardom just like Peirce and Allen had. For all three of these guys the desire to be playing deep into the playoffs will supercede individual goals at this point of their careers.

The notion that Gil will be unwilling or unable to adapt his game to contribute to the Wizards continued improvement is somewhat farfetched. Some might even call it a fairytale.

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 11:55 AM

Posted by: Former Poster | January 14, 2008 12:12 PM

I remember when he cheered and was upset about it, too. I try to bear in mind that he has some sort of fascination with Arenas that we can't explain. Anything regarding Arenas that he says has to be taken with a pound of salt. Well, there is a $7000 explanation out there that he repeatedly denies.
I was shocked the other day when he expressed happiness with a Wizards win. I always thought that the anti-Gilbert stuff carried over to the Wiz as a team and he wasn't really a fan of the team. Still, 752 negative comments vs. 15 positive ones doesn't warrant any respect on this forum from me.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 12:27 PM

I dont think that there's a single person in here that respects anything he says. But just like most things there is a ying for every yang. Good cop, Bad cop. Positive, negative.

DC Man88 is the village idiot.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 12:29 PM

I hope Brett Favre @ the Packers, & or the Celtics get to go the Big Dance. If they come away with a win? I'll be thrilled.

I want the senior players who have labored long in the fields alone..carrying the torch long into the nite, even while the flames grew very dim for their teams.
They were fogotten - given up for dead.
Still they played on..

I salute them..and hope they get their just due, their time in the sun, their just rewards have you.

As a senior myself - this has been an exciting season - football & basketball. Team work & hard work ethic, humility & less talk have prevailed.

No offense to the wizards. Glad their finding their rhythm but my heart as a sports fan for more than 50 plus years is for the seniors in Boston & an old man in Wisconsin who may get to challenge the hottest QB in football in a long time.
Its time for a change. I hope it can be this year.

LIFE IS GOOD.

Posted by: Jack A. | January 14, 2008 12:35 PM

Could we get back to basketball and might I point out that DCMan's latest ramblings were set off by someone else and wouldn't have interrupted the enjoyable basketball talk (Thanks a hell of a lot i smoke!). If you don't attack then we don't have this kind of silliness. It's one thing when this poster runs off at the mouth unprompted, but that wasn't the case here until someone just had to take a shot!

Now, as for tonight's game, I am worried that the Celtics will be so keyed up that they are going to overwhelm the Wizards in a fashion similar to what happened in Nov. The question I have is how do the Wizards deal with it.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 14, 2008 12:46 PM

it's yin ang yang

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 12:47 PM

I'm rooting for the young, they guys who haven't had a shot yet.

The fresh new pros to prove their worth while the aged heroes of yesteryear play their twilight games and accept that life moves on and so should they.

Heh, just kidding, I'd like to see Brett Farve take the air out of the Pats perfect season...

However the Celts are a different story, a team built for a few quick runs, a Miami in the making. I'm not sure I want them to even be one and done. KG, Ray Allen and PPierce are certainly great, but championships aren't promised to anyone. I would rather see a team like washington, Orlando or Toronto rise through a system of developing young talent than another hurrah for the long toothed in search of legacy. We've seen that show too much in the NBA.

Posted by: agism | January 14, 2008 12:47 PM

I have no idea WHAT you are talking about!

I am DCman's biggest fan! I am the choir to which he preaches!

Jeesh

Posted by: i smoke | January 14, 2008 12:49 PM

How do AJ and CB become allstars the last two seasons if all the wizards do is stand around when GA is in the game? The wizards have more weapons than they have had previously and GA will simply add to that arsenal. It would be good to see ET back. But if EJ starts him over BH again he sould be fired

Posted by: browneri | January 14, 2008 12:51 PM

I'm worried that the Wizards are going to be so keyed up by their big win over Boston that they are going to overwhelm the Celtics in a fashion similar to what happened in 2006 The question I have is how do the Celtics deal with it?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 12:54 PM

I don't think the Wiz will be too keyed up especially the vets. The vets will calm down the rookies. For some reason I look for the Wiz to be competitive just as they were Saturday night. As for all of the Celts in the arena, remember this is a transient city so that is expected. There were plenty of us there cheering the Wiz on. I was really impressed that they kept the energy to finish. Especially after that OT thriller in Atlanta. Both teams were tired and it showed on both teams offensively. We played a hell of a defensive game at the end. Did I just say defensive :-) Can't wait for the game tonight. I also read somewhere that Etan is rehabbing and hopes to appear before the season is out. I hope this in no way messes with Brendans psyche, he also has been BALLIN this season.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 1:09 PM

I am so excited for this game I just can't sit still!! I am dying to see Caron and Pierce's interaction tonight. Imagine Pierce going up against a player who has been locked up in solitary and thinking he is tougher than Caron!!! Dream on. He might have more b-ball skills on the stat sheet, MAYBE, but toughness??? Please!

MARK, I'm also a big Homer!!!

Posted by: g diddy | January 14, 2008 1:16 PM

I'm jacked for this game!

Who needs Chucky Atkins? I never thought I would read myself writing that, but it is true!

dw

Posted by: dizwiz | January 14, 2008 1:20 PM

I hope that Deshawn throwing the ball at the end doesn't rile the Celts up. Of course, we all know that it did.

Posted by: freedom0125 | January 14, 2008 1:29 PM

Well they were freedom and I think we can expect a high-energy and high-intensity first quarter from the Celts. If they can survive that, and settle in, then the Wizards have a chance to win. Washington can't be in a double-digit hole after the first quarter.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 14, 2008 2:06 PM

After the Skins got knocked out last week, the only thing that would have made this weekend better would have been the Pats going down too!

I hate it when Jerry Jones comes to the sidelines when the game's on the line. For years when he sat on the Competition Comm. & then had the nerve to stand on the feild and yell at officials it just completely killed me. But getting to see the look on his face yesterday was just priceless!

Maybe the old vet Brett Farve can make it to the Super Bowl and give his Smugness a similar send off in the world's biggest game.

I see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are playing at the Super Bowl halftime. My wife said that's ok since Tom Pretty and the Rule Breakers could be playing in the game.

The new seating arrangement in the Wiz's lockerroom seems to be working out pretty well. I was wondering, who did they sit beside Stevenson? The guy played two huge games over the weekend. Those two wins over the weekend make this stretch look much more manageable now.

Look for a spirited game tonight in the rematch.

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 2:20 PM

Seems Mr. 88 is getting thrown off stride by another poster that can be as snarky as he. Heee...heee...heee!!!
88's been gettin his friggin horse's ass smoked!
I smoke Rocks!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 2:32 PM

Etan workout story:
It implies Etan will be back before Gilbert.

Posted by: rgz | January 14, 2008 2:34 PM

Please sign and trade Gilby. I don't care what Michael Lee thinks. If he knew anything he wouldn't be a beat writer! The team is better without him. Sign and trade him for positions of need. If we can sign and trade him for a Pg to split time with daniels and get another post threat offensively and defensively the team will be much better. I think the GM Michael spoke to knows what he is talking about definitely a lot more than Michael and the jokes on this message board.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 2:50 PM

I cheered when Gilbert got hurt! I knew i could finally watch basketball again instead of the Gilbert Arenas circus. I honestly wish he would quit even coming to the games. I don't even want to see him on the bench. I pray I can cheer if and when he gets traded as well!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 2:52 PM

We need a guard who can create his own shot, get to the free throw line 10x a game and shoot 40% from 3 point area and finish games. Hey about Arenas for Arenas?

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 2:54 PM

Good to hear about Etan. I hope he makes it back.

Posted by: kalorama | January 14, 2008 2:56 PM

GM, given how selfishly Gil is capable of playing, given his obvious need to be recognized as an elite player, and given his stated interested in opting out this summer, I don't think it's so farfetched that he might come back and go off on extended solo riffs instead of fitting himself into what the team is doing.

I hope that doesn't happen, and if it does I hope Eddie will be firmer with Gil than he's been in the past. I would like to think Gil has matured as a player and person, and has perhaps been humbled by seeing his body break down a second time in the face of his determined rehab onslaught. It'll be interesting to see what happens when he returns.

I'm also hoping will see some of Opech in the game.

Posted by: Prazak | January 14, 2008 2:57 PM

If you want to be a 5 seed for the next 6 or 7 years and have no shot at ever making it to or winning the finals sign Arenas. If you want to have a good team that can actually win Sign and trade.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 2:58 PM

Gilbert is only about himself!!!! Instead of promoting teammates like caron and jamison for the all-star game he begs for everyone to vote him so he can play if he pulls a miracle and gets healthy. Then the day after a huge win against the celtics once again he tries to steal the spotlight and starts talking about opting out. If he comes back this season all he is going to do is hoist up about 800 shots and try to get a bigger contract. Sign and trade!!!!!!! Don't want any me players that can't do anything but score on my team. No chance is Gil a max player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 3:02 PM

GILBERT ARENAS is the most overrated player in the league by far! All he can do is score. No D...can't pass and really doesn't even shoot a good percentage. I'll take Caron over him any day. Caron plays on both ends of the court and shows up every night unlike Gil who is the most inconsistent player ever. You would think people would realize were better without him since we are 16-11 without him but people still have the home blinders on from last year. Also notice we gave yp 104 last year only give up what 97 this year...everyone gives credit to ayers....the one who deserves credit is Gilbert Arenas for getting hurt. if he hadn't got hurt we would probably ve giving up about 108 a game this year while Gil was playing for a contract.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 3:08 PM

Teams that trade stars almost always get screwed in the short term, because they're usually making the deal under the gun and dealing from a position of weakness.

Posted by: kalorama | January 14, 2008 3:09 PM

Gilbert Arenas is no star

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 3:10 PM

The Village Idiot speaks...

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 3:17 PM

It will be interesting in Boston tonight. If we play our game, we could come away with another W. Anyone know if Rondo is our again?

Posted by: khrabb | January 14, 2008 3:25 PM

I give a little props to Ayers and a lot to BTH and EJ. Not collapsing into the paint and leaving shooters wide open has done a lot for us. BTH and AB have done a great job of stepping out on pick and rolls and then recovering to guard their own man.
And as much as I like Caron, he is not a defensive stopper despite what EJ seems to think. He regularly got smoked by decent players last year yet he escapes criticicm. It's not his fault that he's playing SF at 6'5" or so and he's undersized but I wonder what people see that makes them think he's a defensive stopper. Getting steals does not mean you are playing good defense. It means you are playing passing lanes rather than locking down on your man. That's why you don't always see Raja Bell, Bowen or Ginobili among the steals leaders. Chris Paul, AI, Baron Davis and Caron are the top 4 in steals. Every one of them has at one point been criticized for average defense. If steals are the measure of defense, then GA is a great defender, too.
Take a look at this link from 82 games and see what last year's stats reveal.

Now, take a look at this year.

Is AD really playing that much better than GA? Is he the defensive player that this team needs instead of GA? Not according to these numbers. Looks like our bench is the culprit for the deficits.
Looks like last year GA held up his end of the bargain and this year both CB and AJ are both doing it.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 3:32 PM

I neglected to give CB and AJ credit for stepping up defensively this year. They've done a pretty good job. Let's see how this looks after we've played a bunch of good teams.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 3:34 PM

Another thing these stats tell us is that SG is our weakest position by far....as if we didn't know that.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 3:40 PM

freedom0125,
I love that DeShawn threw it in their face after throwing it down! They are going to be keyed up already, after losing 2 of 3, but I don't want us to be sheepish and looking for mercy.

Forget that! I would love our players to come out knowing they can play significantly better than they did Saturday. Yes, the crowd could be a factor but Daniels, AJ and Caron don't shiv. Let's make it back to back and truly shake up the East.

Once more into the breach, dear friends!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | January 14, 2008 3:52 PM

We are loaded for bear...

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 4:01 PM

Looks like 88'er got smoked and went underground.

Prazak, There is that chance, but since this is a team sport I would think that Gil or anyone else would realize in the end it is about how the team plays. If he wants a max deal he can't come back fill up the stat sheet while the team goes in the tank. But the point is Gil's scoring didn't adversely effect the Wizards in the past anyway, their record went up as his scoring went up. Not saying he won't have some struggles getting back into the flow of things when back.

Bringing a player of off the injured list when a team is gearing up for the playoffs can be problimatic. But everybody on this roster knows that Gil would be a big peice to add for a playoff run.

This is the NBA there are only so many plays a coach can draw up, at best a coach is looking for a favorable one on one matchup with the clock clicking down.

There's a great many positives to be seen from the Wizard's play this season. The coaching staff and the players deserve credit for the way they've rallied together and played and for the improvements in former weaknesses they've made.

But the one thing I haven't seen them come up with is a consistant 4th quarter closer, add that and this has the makings of a very good team.

It would be great to see Etan back and healthy, things must be going well if he's reaching that point. Way to go Etan, glad to here you're ready to get back out there and playing. Good Luck to you, big Poet!

More depth at center would allow Eddie to experiment with Brendan and Andre on the court together at times for a tall ball look. And there's certain teams that Songaila shouldn't get off the bench against.

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 4:06 PM

JSchon, or as they say out here in Pennsy of vania, We's loaded with beer!

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 4:10 PM

The news about Etan is terrific for him and the team. As GM's usual smart post says it gives more depth and adds interesting options to Eddie's game plans. The Wiz will really have 11 players who can all make meaningful contributions in specific game situations (DMAC being the exception for this year) and that's without Gilbert.

By NBA standards that is a deep team. A lot of posters on this site (especially 88man) continually blasted Abe for being cheap and not signing a 13th player after Etan went out and then Gilbert....even though even Ivan agreed that it would be a complete waste of money to sign someone to sit at the end of the bench. No one can argue now that the strategy of signing Wilks to a short contract when Daniels was all that was necessary.
This team would not be improved by signing other teams' castoffs. It has improved by developing chemistry and cohesion among the players who are here and a new commitment to defense and ball movement and old fashioned leadership from the coaches and captains.

Posted by: arnie | January 14, 2008 4:38 PM

To: The Anonymous Poster re: The Celtics Fans. Actually, the Celtics don't have very loyal fans. When Rondo went down due to injury..the Celts lost to the Bobcats & Detroit..fans ran like roaches when the lites go on..not loyal but I am.
Its not like golden States fans..
Wish Wiz well - but I love out team, care less they lost(which is unusual)but they're going all the way without a doubt.

Brian

Posted by: Boston transplant | January 14, 2008 4:46 PM

Few teams go past 10 deep in the playoffs, if Gil makes it back in the end this team will be plenty deep enough.

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 4:46 PM

This post was supposed to be about the Wiz beating the Celtics and once again the continued tear down of Gilbert. The man just turned 26 and was playing in the same manner as the rest of the team. Does he have his faults? Sure he does. Hell, we all know how selfish Kobe was. I don't here the Laker fans dogging him on a daily basis. Look at him now, he's playing team ball? Who woulda thunk that!(I know the grammar is poor)So I have to believe that as Gilbert matures so does his game. No matter how well the team is playing now, you add in Gil and watch where they go if they keep this level of playing up. Besides, he still adds that little bit of electricity to the game. I am a die hard Wiz fan good or bad and I will defend them ALL as they try to represent my city.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 4:51 PM

Its just one guy...

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 4:54 PM

Again, GM proves that not only is he old, naive, gullible, and goofy, but he's wrong also. I don't need to go "underground" to voice my opinions. If you've learned nothing so far, at least you should have learned that, so don't give me any credit for those anonymous posts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 4:57 PM

"To those of you having a great time gobbling up the few occasions in which DCman88 posts something other than the usual trash, remember, this clown cheered, here (repeat, CHEERED, HERE) when a Wizards player was seriously injured during a game. Doesn't matter which player, doesn't matter about DCman88's sexual ambiguity, doesn't matter what bet the fool once said was lost. DCman88 cheered, here, when a Wizards player was injured. End of story.

Posted by: Former Poster | January 14, 2008 12:12 PM "

I can't wait to cheer again.

HALLLELUJAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 5:01 PM

"Also bear in mind that I drink Wiz, Skins, Caps, Diplomats, Federals, United, Nationals, Terps, Hoyas and Senators KoolAid. I'm a homer no matter what the sport.

Posted by: mark | January 14, 2008 10:45 AM"

Finally, mark admits that he likes to drink and give hummers.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 5:03 PM

You don't need to go underground cause that's where you live!

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 5:05 PM

OBVIOUSLY YOU PEOPLE HAVE LITTLE TO NOTHING GOING ON IN YOUR LIVES. THE DARN BOBCATS BEAT THE CELTICS..SO WHAT!!!!
LETS SEE THE DUMB WIZARDS BEAT ANY 4 TEAMS IN A ROW BESIDES BOTTOM SCRAPERS??????ANY? TOO INCONSISTENT. Won't happen.
ENJOY YOUR ONE CLAIM TO FAME..JUST LIKE CHARLOTTE...ITS THE BEST YOU'LL DO ALL YEAR..OPPS!! Sorry - CAN'T PUT CHARLOTTE IN YOUR CATEGORY..THEY DID BEAT OTHER COMPETITIVE TEAMS..- WIZ ONLY WIN IF THEIR OPPONENT IS "MISSING A TEAM PIECE" BESIDES THAT - FORGETABOUT IT.. Without Arenas.....you kids are maybe lookin at first round & out IF THAT!!

MMMMwhah

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 5:05 PM

I like the overall makeup of the team but I thin that in order to make the move into the elite tier they still need some pieces. Specifically a veteran scorer of the bench. It could be that Mason is developing into that guy, but I think when all is said and done, they need a guy coming off the bench who (A) can produce in a hurry and (B) isn't such a newbie that he's still trying to figure out how the NBA works.

Posted by: kalorama | January 14, 2008 5:06 PM

"You don't need to go underground cause that's where you live!

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 05:05 PM "

Then why did you say I "went underground" stupid @ss? Gullible idiot.

--------------------------------------------

"Looks like 88'er got smoked and went underground.

Posted by: GM | January 14, 2008 04:06 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 5:10 PM

Haven't solved the ismoke mystery yet?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 6:02 PM

Posted by: arnie | January 14, 2008 6:09 PM

Guys, check this out> Gilbert is going to "opt out of his contract" per Boston Globe.

Arenas trashes old view, now praises Celtics!

Globe Staff / January 14, 2008
There is praise, with no trash-talking, about the Celtics from the outspoken Gilbert Arenas this time. There is no Jordanesque scorer for Boston to worry about tonight, rather an entire team that had the Celtics' number Saturday night. But even though tonight's rematch against the Wizards at the Garden will be a challenge for the Celtics, it won't be the same without the entertaining, three-time NBA All-Star guard in uniform.

more stories like this"That's what I miss, playing for the crowd, playing for the fans, playing for my crowd," said Arenas, who has been limited to eight gams this season because of a left knee injury. "That's hard. I consider myself an entertainer. That's the part that I enjoy."

Before the Celtics' season-opener against Washington Nov. 2, Arenas predicted on his blog on NBA.com that the Wizards would win and he added that Celtics fans "might as well" cheer for him. Boston ended up winning easily, 103-83, and Arenas enthusiastically ate crow after the game.

Now, after the Celtics (30-5) have run off to the hottest start in the NBA, Arenas has changed his tune. In fact, he says the only team better right now is San Antonio, the reigning NBA champion.

"[The Celtics have] been doing a great job," Arenas said. "They went from being one of the worst teams in the league to the second-best team this year just from key trades. That's all players are looking for, someone like Paul Pierce is looking for. They went through the downs, and now they're up."

Arenas averaged 28.4 points per game last season and at least 25 points each of the three seasons before this one. The 6-foot-4-inch, 215-pounder suffered a partial tear of his left medial meniscus, however, and is out indefinitely after having surgery Nov. 21.

Arenas said he had been hampered with knee pain since the summer and said he could have continued to play with it, but doctors feared it could progress into a microfracture.

Arenas said yesterday he plans on opting out of his contract after this season. He said the Wizards are his top option but he is willing to go elsewhere.

Arenas said his contract situation wouldn't deter him from returning this season, but he said he won't play until he's 100 percent.

Even with their superstar gone, the Wizards are 19-16 and are 15-11 without Arenas, including Saturday night's victory, which snapped Boston's 10-game road winning streak.

Forward Antawn Jamison is averaging 21.3 points and 10.9 rebounds while forward Caron Butler is averaging career highs of 21.7 points and 4.4 assists. Jamison and Butler's play at both ends of the floor and their leadership likely will earn them serious All-Star consideration.

"[Arenas] is one of the top players in the NBA, and when he is not out there the makeup of the team definitely changes," Jamison said. "It took us a while to adjust, but we have some great veterans on this team who have stepped up. We also have some talented young guys on the bench who have contributed as well.

"We definitely miss him. But guys are doing a great job as far as not making excuses and turning a negative into a positive."

After Washington surprised Boston, 85-78, Saturday night, several Celtics said the Wizards seemed to play better without Arenas, with a much more team-oriented offense and better defense. Arenas scoffed when told of the comments yesterday.

Arenas claimed before Washington's win over the Celtics that his team hadn't beaten anyone of substance without him, other than Dallas. But after they beat Boston, Arenas gave his Wizards credit.

"They're playing great basketball right now," said Arenas, who didn't make the trip to Boston. "That was a great victory for us, especially for our confidence."

Marc J. Spears can be reached at mspears@globe.com.

Posted by: Greg | January 14, 2008 6:12 PM

We're in for a beat-down tonight, book-it.

Posted by: Johnie | January 14, 2008 6:15 PM

sorry guys for the last post. I know it plays right into DC 88'ers hands but its in print this time not DC Man's rants. Gilbert says clearly - he's opting out. He misses "his" fans, etc. & he's an "ENTERTAINER" Not very good press from a teammate.

Posted by: Greg | January 14, 2008 6:20 PM

I luv DC Man88, even if he thinks Gilby is a better one-on-one player than me!

Posted by: CB | January 14, 2008 6:23 PM

Gilbert has always said he was opting out -at the end of last season. What is new about this???

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 14, 2008 6:36 PM

Haven't solved the ismoke mystery yet?

Posted by: | January 14, 2008 06:02 PM

i smoke = Ivan!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 6:45 PM

"DCman, it's a shame you care more about being nasty and childish in your posts than expressing intelligible basketball opinions (which you are capable of making). You care more about drawing negative hostile attention than you do about making a contribution to a hoop discussion and that's a shame. And I'm sure you will be unable to resist taking a shot at me for speaking truth. Go ahead...

Posted by: arnie | January 14, 2008 06:09 PM "

Stop being so nasty and childish.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 7:41 PM

""I want a new contract for the longevity of it and get another six years at the end of this deal," said Arenas, who is making $11.9 million this season. "I don't know what's going to happen. I could have signed an extension this year, but it wasn't going to make sense for me. If my own team doesn't take me, I'll go somewhere for a lot less to win a championship.""

Doesn't Gilby's quote contradict what he said about Luol Deng and Air Gordon? If the money is there, then take it. But, he didn't sign the extension because it "doesn't make sense" for him.

I'd be surprised if Gilby goes anywhere else for a "lot less." It's just him bluffing that EG has any leverage over him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 7:46 PM

SHOCK TO THE HEART!!!

Even pro ballers think Les BouleS are better without Gilby, as they play better team b-ball. I have always said to give that 12 mil to another player in that slot and there won't be much drop off.

The ballers said that Les BouleS play better team oriented offense and better defense without Gilby. I challenge anyone on this blog to dispute this!!!

I think Gilby's feelings got hurt.

---------------------------------------------

"Saturday night, several Celtics said the Wizards seemed to play better without Arenas, with a much more team-oriented offense and better defense. Arenas scoffed when told of the comments yesterday.

"That's because [the Wizards] won," said Arenas. "It's kind of funny how people talk about how teams are better without certain players. At the end of the day when I was playing we were in the fourth or fifth spot [in the Eastern Conference]. You've got to play 82 games before you realize if they are better without me or with me.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 7:50 PM

Lets get it...

Posted by: Jason | January 14, 2008 10:00 PM

Caron Butler is a god.

Posted by: Larry Roberts | January 14, 2008 10:02 PM

I love this team.

Posted by: Kyle | January 14, 2008 10:04 PM

Are we happy?!!!

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | January 14, 2008 10:06 PM

YEAH JOE!!!!

Posted by: iceberg | January 14, 2008 10:09 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 10:09 PM

That's why he is called "Tough Juice."

Could the Wiz really be better than we (and they) thought they were?

Posted by: Tim | January 14, 2008 10:10 PM

Now THAT was a statement game!!!

Posted by: Rook | January 14, 2008 10:11 PM

Holy mackerel, what a victory!! My goodness this team keep raising the bar. Fantastic job in that fourth quarter.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 14, 2008 10:11 PM

LOL!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 10:11 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to marry the Wizards when I grow up.

Posted by: Smith | January 14, 2008 10:13 PM

seriously, I can't breathe

Posted by: Anonymous | January 14, 2008 10:13 PM

I'm hard-pressed to remember a win by the Wiz as good as tonight's. That was just fantastic group grit, and Caron was a beast at the end.

Posted by: Prazak | January 14, 2008 10:13 PM

Wow, nice come back and win !! The juice was loose !!

Posted by: Section101 | January 14, 2008 10:16 PM

Celtic fans were chanting MVP for KG when he hit those critical FT's. Les BouleS fans should be chanting "MVP" whenever Caron touches the ball b/c Caron is the MVP on this team.

Tuff Juice's fire and hustle carried and elevated the TEAM at the end of this game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 14, 2008 10:22 PM

Hey boys and girls: Only 1 1/2 games behind Orlando.

Posted by: Larry Roberts | January 14, 2008 10:26 PM

Bullets/Wizards fan since '72. That was one of the best. Beating my pre-72 team tomorrow night will be even better. Eddie Jordan on statements was priceless.

And neither Jamison or Butler is voted in to the All Star Game yet?

Posted by: Bill Carr | January 14, 2008 10:26 PM

Biggest win in the entire NBA this year. No other win by any other team spoke more in volume than beating Boston back to back home and away without GA.

I almost got kicked out of a family restaurant I got so loud.

Posted by: JSchon | January 14, 2008 10:48 PM

"Call me silly, but I think we could have been 3-0 against the Celtics had the big mouth not riled up the Celtics and the crowd in the first game by saying they were beatable and that the crowd should enjoy his fresh hair cut."

ok, you're silly.