Butler update, onto Toronto

I spoke with Caron Butler before he headed out last night and he said the left hip flexor became a problem during Sunday's win at Milwaukee and really tightened up on him that night on the flight home. The decision was made that he would be better off taking a couple of days off to rest it so it didn't turn into a lingering issue. Caron didn't fly with the team to Toronto for tonight's game but said he hopes to be ready in time for Friday's game against Utah at the VC. He wasn't moving too well though so we'll see.

As for last night's win, I mean, wow. What a game. I had to re-write my early edition lead four different times. In the end, I went with an angle comparing the finish to the one from last season when former Rapter Mo Peterson hit that stunning game-tying 3 at the end of regulation after the ball caromed off of Michael Ruffin and dropped right to him. This time, Anthony Parker nailed a three in the corner with 0.8 seconds left with three Wizards running at him.

The Wiz recovered and got it done in OT becuase they made all five of their free throw attempts and because they had four offensive rebounds. Roger Mason Jr. hit a big 3, DeShawn Stevenson had another and Antawn Jamison slithered his way to the front of a rim and tipped in a Mason miss to give the Wiz a 106-101 lead with 9.9 seconds left.

That was typical Jamison. The guy is not an explosive leaper in terms of pure vertical but does any player in the league get off the ground more quickly and with the kind of anticipation he shows? It's uncanny.

As for Dominic McGuire, I'll just put it like this: After the game, one of the Toronto writers asked: "Who the heck is McGuire? He's all over the place." Dominic played a long stretch spanning the third and fourth quarters and also got some run in OT. He finished with 10 boards - six of them offensive - scored a bucket, had an assist and played some good, aggressive defense.

That was the McGuire we saw in summer league and at times during the preseason. The kid's offensive game needs heavy refinement but he's an explosive leaper, he's long and he's physical. The player I thought of when I first saw him play was Ruben Pattterson (the basketball player, not the human being). He's got this wild quality that could be a good thing coming off that bench and his ball handling and passing skills are solid. Anyway, it was good for him to experience some sucess like that. Andray Blatche (19 points and 8 rebounds) was key as well.

Dominic: "My teammates have been very encouraging. They told me to get back to what got me here; playing hard and doing what I've been doing in practice. I just have to go out and keep playing hard and hustling. The biggest thing is I really do not have to worry about scoring."

The Raptors have a stud in Chris Bosh, a terrific PG in Jose Calderon and nice parts like Parker, Chris Humphries , Jamario Moon and Juan Dixon. The problem is rebounding and it was a major issue last night. Sam Mitchell sounded like he wanted to suit up and go out and grab a board or two himself after watching the Wizards outrebound his boys 57-44 last night. The Wiz also had a 23-8 edge in second-chance.

"We have got to find a way to box out and win the ball," Mitchell said. "We aren't doing it. We let people come over our backs. I don't know if it's a foul, but if the officials don't call it, then it's not a foul. We teach it. We talk about it. We show it. We will not be a good team until we start boxing out. We played good defense but if we don't get the ball, it's going to be tough to win."

We're doing at chat at 2 p.m. so drop in with questions. I'm about to hop a flight to lovely Toronto (what a city).

By Ivan Carter |  January 30, 2008; 10:37 AM ET
Previous: Butler out, Blatche to start | Next: Ouch

Comments

Nail-biter last night. Hope the boys can pull a Boston-Redux tonight and steal the home-and-home from the Raptors.

Posted by: Eric | January 30, 2008 11:07 AM

Toronto misses Garbajosa on the glass

Posted by: Jason | January 30, 2008 11:11 AM

Yo, Ivan, we lost Sunday's game vs. Milwaukee. Bummer though.

Posted by: Nick | January 30, 2008 11:13 AM

Great to see Blatch and McGuire both significantly contributing. We will be a force to be reckoned with come playoff time with AD, AB, DM, NY & OP coming off the bench and all being able to contribute.

Posted by: Dante | January 30, 2008 11:32 AM

I've been praising Dom ever since summer league. He looked great and he would've never played if Butler wasn't slightly injured. Seeing this kind of hustle makes me so happy our team is playing together through all of what happened last year, off-season with Etan surgery and O-Pech being hurt, and the beginning of this year without Arenas. Speaks volumes about character, leadership, desire, and youths becoming mature. Great game, Great Team. Please everyone, show love and appreciation for this kind of heart.
GO WIZZZZZ!!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | January 30, 2008 11:32 AM

The primary reason why Les BouleS beat the Raptors last night at VC was because of the team chemistry that's been established since Gilby went out. This team chemistry has allowed the players to develop a mentality where everyone's contribution is expected, rather than using Gilby's scoring ability as a crutch.

The team last night was not much different from the team that was swept by the Cavs in the playoffs last season in term so of personnel, but now the guys know what each person can do and should do in order to win even when the top guys are out.

Bravo!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 11:33 AM

Damn it, DC man/woman whoever you are, GIVE IT A REST!! JUST FOR ONE DAY CAN WE CELEBRATE A GREAT GAME BY THE WIZ WITHOUT YOU AND YOUR GIL BASHING. IT'S GETTING OLD AND PLAYED OUT. WE ALL KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.

GO WIZ! LET'S DO A REPEAT TONIGHT!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 11:36 AM

Very nice inside piece. One small point, though about last year --- that ball did not "carom" off Ruffin. He tossed it into the air thinking the game was over, and it went right to Peterson who made the huge shot. Tough tough loss, and because of a good guy who did screw up badly.

Posted by: joe c | January 30, 2008 11:38 AM

DC man hit it right on the head!

Gilby's absence this yeah has shown this team how good they can be when playing without an all star!

Take Caron out and they get even better!

If AJ goes down we will be a lock for the Finals!

Nice post DC man, you set em up, I knock em down!

Posted by: i smoke | January 30, 2008 11:40 AM

Whoever you are, it doesn't matter.

What's wrong with praising team chemistry? Nothing.

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 11:40 AM

I knew it was going to be a wild game last night when I opened up the paper in the morning and saw a comment from dcmann88 in the post !! Give him his props. :)

Posted by: Section101 | January 30, 2008 11:40 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 11:44 AM

i always give him props... maybe you all could learn a thing or two from me...

lolololy

Posted by: i smoke | January 30, 2008 11:44 AM

So DC 88...yes, the Wiz have established better chemistry in Gil's absence. But is this because Gil the person is absent, or simply because the star of the team is absent. I mean, you kind of act like the found chemistry is not only a surprise, but a bad thing.

Good teams throughout history have found chemistry, a way to move on, when their superstars go down with injures. The bad teams do not.

Ahh, but there's the catch that you seem to always elude to with your Gilby negativity.

Will Gilbert come back and ruin all this new-found "chemistry"?

But c'mon, give the guy a little credit. Do you think he's not aware that he must integrate himself back into a team that's playing well without him.

It's easy to assume that the "wacky" Gilbert will come back gunning the rock and predicting 60 point games. But the fact is, anyone is capable of change.

I wouldn't exactly classify Gil as a ball hog. As we've seen in the past, Caron and Jamison can both flourish while playing with Gil -- then again, the past hasn't exactly gotten this team deep in the playoffs. But who is to say that there was not chemistry when Gil was healthy and that it only needed to be improved upon?

In the end, it's your right to criticize. We all have the right to do so. But I think so many people have a problem with your glass 3/4 empty attitude.

Right now, I'm giving Gil the benefit of the doubt. He has been such a great player for DC thus far, so, why not? My main concern is not necessarily the offense when Arenas returns, rather his defense.

If he can show his teammates, the fans, and Eddie Jordan a true commitment and work ethic on the defensive end of the court, then I think that everything else...improved chemistry and the what-not, will fall into place.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | January 30, 2008 11:57 AM

I was at the game and not only did DMac get 6 or 7 offensive rebounds but he tipped at least 4-5 balls to retain possession. It was his breakout performance and if he never gets great skills with teh ball in his hands, at worst he will be a more athletic and quicker version of Ruffin. At best this kid has to potential to be a Rodman type of player. For now he needs to pass the ball out of his hands however whenever it come to him!

Posted by: arnie | January 30, 2008 11:57 AM

Hmmm...let me see...thought so. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't wandered out of the Wizards message board and into the DC Man88 one.

There's something special going on with this team right now and come playoff time, given how much has been asked of the role players, when the Wizards are finally at full strength, they'll make some considerable noise. Seeing as how they play to the level of their opponent, how far they go is really a crapshoot. Nonetheless, should make for an awfully exciting May...and, dare I say it...June...

Posted by: Eric | January 30, 2008 11:59 AM

"Was the comment in the Home and Garden section? He seems like the flowery type the way he fawns over Gilbert. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 11:44 AM "

This zero, obviously remaining anonymous, clearly lives in the Bizarro world. Of all the people here, I would be the last person credited for fawning over Gilby.

Go check your dictionary loser.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 11:59 AM

Same ole crap different day. This board is a joke! Haven't read this post in a while, but, why am I not surprised at what I read.

GO WIZARDS--------Great article IVAN

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 12:10 PM

Or maybe DCIdiot did see this as he chooses to totally overlook the praise Arenas receives and search for negativity.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 12:35 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 12:41 PM

What up Ivan,
Wow - the Wizards were able to beat Chris Bosh without Caron Butler.

Who knew?

They are really learning how to win without their superstars this year - GO WIZ!!

Posted by: sp | January 30, 2008 12:41 PM

"It's called sarcasm, idiot ! Everyone here knows you either ARE Gilbert or are in love with him.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 12:41 PM "

Nah, I think you're just stupid.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 12:43 PM

"Obviously DCIdiot thinks his opinion is the cat's pajamas and did not watch NBA Coast to Coast OR the NBA Network's Gamenight after the game. Every single analyst (most of them former NBA players) applauded the team but laughed at the thought of the team being better without Gil. They all said "when Arenas returns, this team can really turn it up and catch fire."

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 12:35 PM "

Whatever Lisa.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 12:44 PM

After reading Ivan's article, I checked a couple of the local papers in Toronto and couldn't beleive that they described our team as the "NO Name Wizards" No respect, but guess what, they beat Toronto. I think thought they were referring to McGuire who no one had heard of. But still, I found that headline a little crass,

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 12:50 PM

You know how foolish I sound, but it doesn't matter, cause as you know, I am DC Man 88

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 12:55 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 12:57 PM

"Haywood's putrid free throw shooting in the past was Gilby's fault. His inability to make a shot other than a dunk in the past was Gilby's fault. The difference between Ruffin and McGuire is Ruffin played with Gilby. Blatche showing more game from last year is not because he has improved and grown more comfortable, it is because Gilby was playing. In other words, Blatche has not improved, he is playing better because Gilby is not. Oh yeah, Jarvis playing on one leg was Gilby's fault too. You see, Nick and Mason will look like Jarvis on one leg when Gilby comes back.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 12:55 PM "

I love it when people post here using my handle, because I know that these feeble minded individuals have succumbed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 1:01 PM

"This is like the 3rd or 4th home game that Gilbert hasn't sat sideline with the team, what's up with that? Even Caron when he didn't play a few times made a appearance.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 12:57 PM "

Are we supposed to be surprised at this?

Hopefully it's a sign that he's done with Les BouleS and will walk regardless of how much EG offers him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 1:02 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 1:05 PM

I agree about last year - it's very clear that Ruffin just pitched the ball into the air - why suggest otherwise? To Ruffin's credit, the clock was not operated properly - if you time it yourself, 3+ seconds expire before the ball comes down in Mo's hands.

Posted by: Clockwork | January 30, 2008 1:27 PM

Can someone explain why Antonio Daniels did not intentionally miss his second FT with 1.3 seconds remaining in regulation?

IMHO, it would have been well nigh impossible to 1) capture the rebound 2)make an outlet pass 3)hoist up a three 4) make the prayer than to make the 2nd FT and give Toronto a chance to set up a play.

Posted by: Why not? | January 30, 2008 1:45 PM

Unstated is why throwing the ball into the air was the proper play . . . I knew that if I held the ball I'd get fouled and be forced to go to the line and damage the rim with a pair of bricks.

Posted by: Ruffin | January 30, 2008 1:47 PM

Throwing the ball away is only the proper play if you do so in a way that reduces the chances of the other team retrieving it in time and position to make a shot. Ruffin did the exact opposite. He panicked because he was afraid of getting fouled and put on the line and made a dumb play.

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 1:55 PM

"Next stop, I will take my fake DC azz down to Barry Farms and Gilby bash. Oops! I can't. I ain't got the street cred that Gilby has!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 01:05 PM "

Street cred? Gilby grew up in a nice part of town and went to private schools. His pops even sprung for braces.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 1:56 PM

Why Not, 1.3 seconds is plenty of time to get a shot off. Teams have won games on successful three-quarters court heaves with less time left on the clock. If Daniels missed the second shot and Toronto grabbed the rebound clean and called time out, the could advance the ball on the inbounds had as much as a full-second left to set up a catch and shot. If they hit a desperation 3 in that situation, they win the game instead of going into overtime. Daniels absolutely made the right move by hitting both.

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 1:59 PM

"That was the McGuire we saw in summer league and at times during the preseason."

And they are gonna need him to play like that for a bit since Caron is out.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they will win tonight without Caron. It's too hard to go to the opposing teams floor and win especially after a night like last night.

Expect a low shooting % on both sides and tired legs.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 30, 2008 2:47 PM

You're right Kalorama - we saw what Parker did with only 0.8 seconds left in regulation!!!

The LAST thing you want to do is give them the ball with a chance to win the game...

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 2:48 PM

LOL! Can we make EJ the GM?

-------------------------------------

Bethesda: Any chance Grunfeld inquires about the price for Kidd? I know it's far-fetched, but if he could had for a reasonable price, its interesting to at least consider. Kidd at point and move Arenas to the off guard spot when he gets back. Although the salary cap ramifications likely shoot down this idea from the start...

Ivan Carter: The only way you could even think about making a deal to get Kidd would be to give up Gilbert and I don't see Ernie doing that. Eddie? Different story.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 3:10 PM

From the live chat this afternoon:

Silver Spring, Md.: Since the Wizards just won a game, how many fools are asking if they're better without Caron?

Ivan Carter: Now that's funny.

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 3:15 PM

Laurel, Md.: Do you think this is the time Eddie Jordan should be trusting the bench a little more? I mean every year after the All-Star break our starters seem to be worn out. Caron Butler seems to be feeling the effects of it. I just think losing a couple of games is worth it to keep or key guys healthy and our bench/rookies keyed up.

Ivan Carter: Really? If Eddie drastically cuts minutes for Antawn, Caron, Daniels and Stevenson and the Wiz lose four of five, folks will be hitting my blog calling for Eddie's head. The fact is that the bench has two trusty vets in Roger Mason Jr. and Darius Songaila but neither of them are dominant and the then a bunch of young guys still figuring out what the heck they are doing. Blatche was terrific last night but has been quiet for weeks. That's just how it's going to be. The big stars in this league play big minutes. Kobe. LeBron. Iverson. Garnett. That's the way you win.

Quoted for truth

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 3:18 PM

It is nice to see them playing well w/o the STARs. Just imagine when the STAR come back out.

Go wiz, maybe Ernie and Eddie can show Dan and Vinny a thing or two about building a team.

Posted by: lilagram | January 30, 2008 3:25 PM

how do you know so much about gilby?
lololy, he had braces!

He better not show his face around here any more, but if he does at least his smile will be nice! lolololy

I might draw a picture of that, thanks again DC Man! I can has loving your posts!

Posted by: i smoke | January 30, 2008 3:26 PM

Nick Young will not be invited to the Rookie Challenge in New Orleans.

ROOKIE TEAM ROSTER

Mike Conley Memphis G 6-1 180 Ohio State
Kevin Durant Seattle G 6-9 215 Texas
Jeff Green Seattle F 6-9 235 Georgetown
Al Horford Atlanta F-C 6-10 245 Florida
Jamario Moon Toronto G-F 6-8 205 Meridian CC (Miss.)
Juan Carlos Navarro Memphis G 6-3 170 Spain
Luis Scola Houston F-C 6-9 245 Argentina
Sean Williams New Jersey F-C 6-10 235 Boston College
Yi Jianlian Milwaukee F 7-0 238 China

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 3:32 PM

Trade CB!!!
All he cares about are all of his nicknames, he has 4 now and missed last nights game trying make up another one.

We are so much better w/o him. The Lakers never won with him, the Heat never with him. What happened last year in the playoffs? We got swept.

CB has to go! Trade him for Robert Horry, he has multiple rings.

Posted by: Upper Marlboro Man69 | January 30, 2008 3:41 PM

THE WIZARDS WILL LOSE TONITE AND FRIDAY.
NUFF SAID

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 3:42 PM

who is NUFF?

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 3:45 PM

Rook - Frankly I believe that all those players are more deserving to play in the all-star than NY. He's been off lately in the games. I hope this will be some sort of inspiration for him to practice more. He lacks energy and toughness.

Posted by: Dave, | January 30, 2008 3:47 PM

Posted by: Gilby | January 30, 2008 3:51 PM

88'er have you actually seen Kidd play this year? No doubt he's got enough in the tank for a title run with a team that's otherwise ready to win. But he is surely almost done, many of the league's young quick points are lighting him up.

With a young team like the Wiz what would be the point in giving up an Allstar player in his prime for a coach killer that's on the downside of his career?

That would be a very short sighted move, one that I don't think the Wiz would consider. Now if Dan Snyder bought the Wiz...

Posted by: GM | January 30, 2008 4:02 PM

D-Mac was coming up huge for us. He was there whenever we needed him to be, and if he hadn't been so aggressive we wouldn't have won the game. Off of his 6 offensive rebouds, we scored 9 points. Off of his two offensive tips, we scored 3 points. That's 12 2nd chance points right there, thanks to Dmac.

Posted by: TDAV | January 30, 2008 4:14 PM

"DC Man88 is my doppelganger! I still luv him though, because otherwise, everybody would be talking about Antawn's amazing tip-in and Bulletproof's 19 big ones instead of whether Ernie should sign me again.

Posted by: Gilby | January 30, 2008 03:51 PM "

Gack sucks.

Posted by: Lisa | January 30, 2008 4:18 PM

Here is the list of top salaries in the NBA. * indicates if they have won a championship.

1) Kevin Garnett $22,000,000
38) Raef LaFrentz $11,813,750
39) Peja Stojakovic $11,664,000
40) Carlos Boozer $11,593,816
41) Steve Nash $11,375,000
42) Jason Richardson $11,111,110
43) Kirk Hinrich $11,000,000

6 out of 43 eight figure a year players have won a ring.

Posted by: JSchon | January 30, 2008 4:19 PM

General Motors (GM),

I really don't care if Les BouleS trade Gilby to Joisey for JKidd or not. I just posted it FYI.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 4:20 PM

Ok now I get it, we're not supposed to actually think when we read these things. I bet they would actually make more sense that way...

Posted by: GM | January 30, 2008 4:28 PM

Jschon's list makes for interesting reading. I wonder what the top duos or trios in the league make (looking at the combined Marbury-Randolph earnings would make a Knicks fan cry).

I know there's been a lot of discussion about resigning Gilbert and Antwan and all that, but I didn't really stop to think about where AJ's contract fell in the whole pantheon of the NBA. It is up there. What's the story behind that?

and how are Wally and Hinrich making so much? Lafrentz?!! I assume that some folks here have some knowledge of the backstories and the bidding wars and the contract year seasons that led to some of this madness.

Also, it would be interesting if there was a list of the major contracts on the books for players no longer playing (Houston?) The knicks are a disaster of epic proportions GM-wise. (The team has been at least semi-respectable lately).

Albert Belle? shudder....

Posted by: duk | January 30, 2008 4:36 PM

duk, it'll take more than winning some games to get the Knicks anywhere near respectability.

As for the salaries, there's no real backstory other than the obvious: pro athletes are ridiculously overpaid. The notion that only the franchise carrying stars should get the big money is a nice Utopian fantasy, but the reality is that most players get paid based on what teams think/hope they will/could be rather than what they actually are.

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 4:51 PM

Anon poster: I think DC Man88 is overpaid.

GM response: He doesn't have a job!

Anon poster: I still think he's overpaid!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 5:15 PM

pro athletes are ridiculously overpaid.

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 04:51 PM

Well, based on the other salaries in that list, I'd say that Nash is underpaid!

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 5:18 PM

And there are some really poor decision makers running teams in this league. Some of them like Isaih Thomas seem to make one bad deal after another.

Posted by: GM | January 30, 2008 5:18 PM

Oh wait - I forgot...... Nash has not won ANYTHING ... he's not worth squat.

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 5:20 PM

I'm not going to say all athletes make too much money. Some do, and this list surely points them out. If I were really opposed to it, I wouldnt have season tickets. Athletes make what their markets allows them to make. I personally think massage therapist make too much money, but thats another topic on another blog.

Players are paid based on performance not rings or play-off success. My point is, even if you agree or disagree with GA being a max player doesnt matter, based on these numbers there are teams that do believe he is a max player, injuries or not.

Posted by: JSchon | January 30, 2008 5:32 PM

"Players are paid based on performance not rings or play-off success.

Most of them aren't paid based on performance, either, at least not on their first big money deal. The reason why there are so many underperformers on that list is because most big money players get paid based on their potential well before they actually accomplish anything of significance in the league (like a title or even a deep playoff run). Basically those salaries were investments that the teams hoped would pay big dividends. They took a chance. But as usually the case with gambling, there are no sure bets. Odds are you'll lose more often than you win. But in order to win you have to take the chance.

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 5:50 PM

"Oh, It was like the Ming Ming thing! You weren't actually thinking, just typing.

Posted by: GM | January 30, 2008 04:28 PM "

Whatever makes you happy dude...cheers!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 5:50 PM

Slurp, glug, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 6:18 PM

Probably not going to pull this game out, not surprising.

A) I hope Blatche realizes that he can cause mismatches and is a physical presence on the court against most big men.

B) I hope Blatche realizes that he can cause mismatches and is a physical presence on the court against most big men.

C) I hope D-Mac turns into Ron Artest the basketball player and not the music producer in a few years.

D) We learn how to defend the 3 on a more consistent basis.

E) DC Man88 is left with only dial-up internet service.

F) I dont have an F

Posted by: JSchon | January 30, 2008 8:26 PM

Smackdown!

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 9:05 PM

Everyone who was complaining about the bench not getting more PT in blowouts ... be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: kalorama | January 30, 2008 9:15 PM

I think Eddie played Blatche and Mason WAY too many minutes. It's a blow out! They are two of our most important bench players and he's gonna wear them out before the All-Star break!

Mark my words; if Eddie keeps playing Blatche and Mason that many minutes every night, they're going to get injured - then where will we be?

We need a new coach.

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 9:20 PM

What another embarrassing loss like the one in Cleveland. Awful defensive presence. They never closed out on shooters tonight. Just kind of sauntered toward them. EJ mismanaged AJ's and Haywood's minutes in the second quarter and fielded a number of lineups with poor outside shooters. Enough blame to go around to everybody. Again, like I said after the Cleveland loss, an NBA team, especially one with playoff aspirations, should never lose by this wide a margin. It's absolutely unacceptable to lose by 40 points in an NBA game.

Posted by: Colin | January 30, 2008 9:24 PM

Oh, and can we stop with all this talk about guys playing too many minutes. Give it a rest, people. Your superstars always play big minutes. And Rook, without Caron, this team only had nine available players. Guys like Blatche and Mason, while important parts of the bench, need extended minutes, and when better to give them to those guys than in blow out wins and losses. It's better if someone like AD sits than Mason. And if AD is on the pine, then Mason is the only remaining PG.

Posted by: Colin | January 30, 2008 9:25 PM

AD has been playing some lousy basketball lately.

1 dime tonight...

7.4ppg 4.4ast and 2.2tpg... shooting 31% last 6 games...

Posted by: JSchon | January 30, 2008 9:27 PM

The main reason why Les BouleS lost tonight is that the players resorted to Gilby helter skelter ball. Just get the ball and chuck it. I'm sure Gilby was laughing back home and hoping everyone here would beg for his quick return. Almost as sad as Jschon with his dildo.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 9:42 PM

What another embarrassing loss like the one in Cleveland.

Easy Colin. :)

Toronto has better players right now then the Wiz without Caron and Gil. Jamison has old legs. They played in Toronto as well.

I kinda saw this one coming. Yeah, Toronto played last night as as well(against the Wiz) but you know on the back to back of games like that Jamison's knees can't hold up. He only had 11 points tonight. Caron was sorely missed.

I think you have to look past this one.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 30, 2008 9:55 PM

Posted by: Colin | January 30, 2008 09:25 PM

Wow - someone actually thought I was serious. LOL

It's called sarcasm Colin...

Posted by: Rook | January 30, 2008 9:58 PM

We're better off without Caron and his constant self-promotion.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 9:59 PM

Four out the last five games (starting with the Cavs last Wednesday) have been sloppily played by the Wizards, although they managed to beat Memphis.

I hope this is not going to be a trend for a while. We really have a tough schedule in Febraury.

Posted by: Tim | January 30, 2008 10:06 PM

It sounds like DC Mann88 brings Gilby up no matter what is being talked about.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 10:09 PM

"The main reason why Les BouleS lost tonight is that the players resorted to Carony helter skelter ball. Just get the ball and chuck it. I'm sure Carony was laughing back home and hoping everyone here would beg for his quick return.

We're better off without Caron and his constant self-promotion.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 09:59 PM "

LOL! Tell me when Caron throws a coming out party bash. That would be an official start of his self promotion. Otherwise, your attempt at an analogy doesn't hold water.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 10:13 PM

"DC Mann88 says he only talks about Gilby in response others bringing him up so much in a positive manner.

It sounds like DC Mann88 brings Gilby up no matter what is being talked about.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 10:09 PM "

You know what? Whether my comments about Gilby are based on responding to other's posts, or based on me initiating it, it doesn't matter because people will still get their panties bunched up over what I say and will take it from there.

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 30, 2008 10:15 PM

Posted by: andy | January 31, 2008 1:18 AM

I've said it before and will say it again.
Mason(Mr. Pyranna Man) is a dysfunctional point. disorganised poor ball handling..you guys applaud his play - I cringe. Whenever he's at point..sorry but they will lose.. He has absolutely no ball handling skills nor timing. Just loves to chuck up 3's. He's still a 27 yr old rookie - who has a down growsing curve.

They were missing Bargnini last nite who KILLED us tonite?????The Wizless Wizards couldn't buy a basket not to mention the RIM.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 31, 2008 1:39 AM

DC man gets it right. And never sounds repetitive!

DC man gets it right. And never sounds repetitive!

So you can stop the hating stop the hating!

1st point. When the wizards win, it is because they play better team ball without Gilby!

2nd point, when they lose it is because they are thinking Gilby thoughts. This is the truth!

3rd point. Gilby self promotes because he wants to be a big star like his idols... which is a selfish thing. The only reason he makes those game winning shots is to be a big star! Nobody should play in the NBA to become rich or famous!

4th point. Laura pick up that sock!

5th point. Grotto grotto!

6th point. Gilby was spoiled by his orthodontist and therefore has no street cred!

7th point. When writers get bored they write off season puff pieces about the wizards biggest name players (Gilby) selfishly working out too much!

8th point. Gilby selfishly tries too hard and selfishly gets injured causing the team to get better!

9th point. Gilby's selfish injury causes us to endlessly focus on Gilby's impact or lack of impact in a series of make believe scenarios and use all manner of circular logic to see into the future! It was all his plan!

If you can't deal with this, then maybe basketball isn't your sport!?!

Posted by: i smoke | January 31, 2008 3:53 AM

The smackdown in Toronto was virtually inevitable but it was truly ugly. However, the home and home split was a very decent outcome and allowed us to deepen our bench game experience and reliability for the rest of the regular season grind.

The next home game against the Jazz will not be easy, particularly because of the point guard match-up. AD is I think hurting more than either he or the Wizards will admit... Whether it is needed long term or not, we should sign a back up point guard for one or two 10-day contracts to keep AD from breaking down for the long haul, when he will once again be needed for 20-22 solid minutes after Gilbert returns.

The likely scenario that I think is shaping up is that the Wizards will hold the sixth position in the East through playoff time, setting up a winnable first-round series against Orlando and then an interesting second round engagement against the Pistons. The ONLY line-up we can win either of these match-ups (and the finals against Cleveland or Boston, which will hinge on how fresh the Celts' Big Three will be ... plus the Cassell factor... or whether the Cavs land a Kidd or Bibby) with is basically an 8-man playoff rotation:

Arenas
Butler
Jamison
Haywood
Stevenson
Daniels
Blatche
Mason

We have a very decent chance of going deep in the playoffs if we can go in with that group healthy and in sync... and with the kids and Songaila and E Thomas ready for
spot duty when needed (such as to give fouls against Dwight Howard and Rasheed Wallace).

Posted by: khrabb | January 31, 2008 6:49 AM

RM isnt a PG. He doesnt even try to play like one, his abilities are suited for supporting SG role on this team. Unfortunately, AD is the only ball handler on the team and he is playing lousy ball, forget about scoring but he isnt even running the offense, the add the lack of defense and poor shooting and we have serious deficiency at the PG position. You can take to the bank.

Posted by: JSchon | January 31, 2008 7:20 AM

The bench getting minutes is fine, but what they do in those minutes should matter too. If the bench should do one thing, its match or exceed the intensity of the opponent. That didnt happen.

Posted by: JSchon | January 31, 2008 9:33 AM

Andy, If you try really hard to Not to Think while you read 88'ers comments it all starts to come into focus. Since he's not thinking when he's typing reading his comments with a blank mind helps alot.

After awhile you'll realize it's just all perfect nonsense! Trying to respond in any way just compounds the nonsense. I Smoke's last post puts it all in perfect nonsensical prespective.

Posted by: GM | January 31, 2008 9:42 AM

Wasnt Bizarro World a reference to the League of Justice cartoons?

Bizarro was the anti-Superman?

One of the best cartoons of all time.

Posted by: JSchon | January 31, 2008 9:46 AM

4 straight losses on the road since Boston with 2 losses absolute blow outs. I thought the team had turned the corner after the 2 Boston wins, but apparently I was wrong. No excuses because Caron is out as that didn't make a bit of difference in Cleveland. Boston has 2 significant starters RA and KG, but others pick up the slack. The Wiz will be lucky to be .500 at the end of February given the away games they play. We cannot play Cleveland or Boston in the first round as the Wiz do not match-up well with Cleveland and the league will do anything for a Boston v. Cleveland conference championship matchup (LaBron will get 4 steps with the ball, not just 3)

Posted by: Win Now | January 31, 2008 10:01 AM

"DC man gets it right. And never sounds repetitive!

DC man gets it right. And never sounds repetitive!

So you can stop the hating stop the hating!

4th point. Laura pick up that sock!

5th point. Grotto grotto!

If you can't deal with this, then maybe basketball isn't your sport!?!

Posted by: i smoke | January 31, 2008 03:53 AM "

LOL!

You are trying way too hard to do what you do. More power to you. Keep it up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 31, 2008 10:29 AM

"Ivan you do a good job. I'm going to stop reading the comments section though. I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you could find a way to block people like DcMan88, he really brings down any debate that even attempts to get started here.

Posted by: andy | January 31, 2008 01:18 AM "

Ivan, I take that back. Please block me.

Posted by: andy | January 31, 2008 10:31 AM

"Once you realize that this is 88'er world, which is kind of like the bizarro world from the old Sinfeld series it all makes perfect nonsense.

Posted by: GM | January 31, 2008 09:42 AM "

I think you're wasting your time trying to psychoanalyze people who blog on this site. Both you and your daughter in law would be piss poor shrinks.

Stick to selling shovels and horse manure, because you do a heckuva job on this blog with that.

"DC Man88, did you seriously try to contact Laura Govan? - GM"

LOL!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 31, 2008 10:34 AM

RELAX wah wah wah, we lost a game. It'll be okay you whiners.

Posted by: rhyde | January 31, 2008 11:16 AM

Posted by: kalorama | January 31, 2008 11:37 AM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

"10th point. DC Man 88 rocks like a thousand times harder than Steely Dan, he is basically 1001+1 Steely Dans kicking a$s with chuck norris in a battle field earth-style extravaganza bloodbath right here on these boards. Just like in "SideKicks" only in tighter pants and with more than a quick cameo of face time for chuck norris. Imagine more of a lock-down on Norris's face where you see steely dan playing reflected in one eye, while in the other eye you see the reflection of all the a$s kicking and a bit of occasional fatherly encouragement by Beau Bridges. (The ugly Bridges)"

VERY FUNNY INDEED!!!!!!

Posted by: G-Train | January 31, 2008 11:39 AM

"If the Wizards really have hopes of making a deep playoff run, they may need to do what many teams do when they're on the cusp of that jump: Trade for someone who can help them now. They desperately need a reliable, confident, veteran scorer coming off the bench, someone whose production (and confidence) won't rise and fall from day to day or play to play. Because as much potential as the bench has, it's going to be a couple of years before that potential is realized. The Wiz may not be able to afford to wait so long.

Posted by: kalorama | January 31, 2008 11:37 AM "

He's only 25, but Pietrus wants out of GS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 31, 2008 12:38 PM

Pietrius isn't a scorer.

Posted by: kaloram | January 31, 2008 12:52 PM

Hey
Im wondering if any of you happen to know a good place to buy adult sex toys?
I recently caught my boyfriend cheating on me... so i dumped him and im looking for a new ' friend ' lol.
maybe i'll look around for free dating sites but for now a nice sex toy will do.
any advice would be great!
thanksss