Easy win in beertown

The Wiz cruised to a 101-77 win over the Michael Redd-less Bucks tonight because Brendan Haywood was dominant early when the Bucks tried to repeatedly feed Andrew Bogut in the post and because they moved the ball with precision and hit shots. This one was never close and the Milwaukee fans booed their team from mid-way through the first quarter on.

All 10 Wiz scored including rookie Dominic McGuire, who received some love from his veteran teammates when he snatched a rebound and laid it back in the fourth quarter. Andray Blatche did not get off the bench in the first half (it could be becuase he missed practice yesterday or maybe Eddie just wanted to give Songaila some minutes after he didn't play the other night) but he played with energy in the second half and finished with 12 points four rebounds and two steals.

One downside: Antonio Daniels appeared to tweak his right knee in the second half and also appeared to be in pain while sitting on the bench near the end of the game but said that nothing was wrong when I asked him about it in the lockeroom. "It's fine," he said but the way he looked on the bench and the way he said it.....maybe I'm just being a paranoid beat writer. We'll see. All I know is that this team doesn't need anything to happen to him again, not with the way he's been playing.

Anway, I have an early flight home in the morning and have some kind of flu/bug/cold/something so I'm keeping this one short. Later.

By Ivan Carter |  January 4, 2008; 11:58 PM ET
Previous: Redd may be out tonight for Bucks | Next: Daniels in good shape, Gilbert speaks

Comments

What happened to Bogut? He looked like an old man out there.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 5, 2008 12:26 AM

Posted by: college_rat | January 5, 2008 12:54 AM

The above post was me

Posted by: college_rat | January 5, 2008 12:59 AM

For some reason I really liked watching this game, particularly when the score hit 66-33!!! I think the Wiz even led by 34 soon after that. Defense was very good tonight, Bucks found it difficult to drive into the paint until the 4th quarter when the Wizards turned down the intensity a bit.

Posted by: rgz | January 5, 2008 2:29 AM

Is it just me, or has CB stopped shooting the 3 as much as he was early on...wonder why?

Posted by: oddjob | January 5, 2008 4:41 AM

What can you say about this game except...
...mclovin it!

Posted by: i smoke | January 5, 2008 4:55 AM

Ivan, I command you to feel better! You're too important to this team (the team of Wiz fanatics that lives on the interweb to devour every available nugget on Wiz info) to get sick. Get some sleep.

Posted by: Ben | January 5, 2008 6:08 AM

I know you are a young guy, Ivan, but with all the travel you do in flu season, you should get a flu shot.

I was follolwing the Wiz game on ESPN.com while watching the only available NBA game on TV in Warsaw last night (Cleveland - Sacto, ended by a 3-point dagger from Booble Gibson, talk about great late draft finds)... and like the previous poster I was mind boggled when it got to 66-33.

The Bucks are malfunctioning seriously after (as I recall) a 7-4 start. Too much money for Mo Williams and Charley Bell I think... these guys are NOT Sam and KC Jones...

Posted by: khrabb | January 5, 2008 7:57 AM

It's great that Les BouleS won, but does the team learn anything from lopsided blowouts? They should have called the game by halftime, but the concession stand probably needed to make their beer sale quotas.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 5, 2008 9:12 AM

What a bad team. Milwaukee's lineup, even with Redd, looks bottom 5. Give the Wizards credit for bouncing back after the egg they laid against Detroit. This is a game that they should win 99 out of 100 times, and thats what you have to do, win the ones you're suppose to. BH looked motivated, AB looked completely different in his minutes than in the past.

Posted by: JSchon | January 5, 2008 9:37 AM

IVAN,HEY MY MAN YOU NEED TO TAKE BETWEEN 500 TO 1000 MG OF VITAMIN C A DAY AND EAT BREAKFAST EVERY MORNING THIS WILL GO A LONG WAY IN KEEPING YOU HEALTHY,SOME FLACSEED WOULD ALSO HELP KEEP YOUR SYSTEM FREE OF TOXINS. GOOD GAME BY THE WIZ CREW LAST NIGHT SONICS ON SUNDAY SHOULD BE A WIN BUT THEY NEED TO BE READY TO PUT THE BEAT DOWN ON THE WEST COAST BALLERS, SO WE CAN MAKE IT A CLEAN SWEEP. GO SKINS!

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | January 5, 2008 10:12 AM

It was good to see Haywood play so well against Bogut and the Wiz win. They need to keep beating these types of teams.

Next up: the Wiz play at home against Seattle and Houston, before going on the road in Atlanta and then home and away games against Boston.

The Boston games will probably be losses. Hopefully they will be at least two games above .500 by then.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 10:15 AM

DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM
It is very difficult to read your posts. Please stop shouting.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 10:53 AM

AD played 31.5 minutes in an one-sided game (also the second game coming back from the injury). Isn't this a bit much?

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 5, 2008 11:25 AM

"Apparently BTH happened to him. Isn't it nice to Haywood outplay his opposite number on a semi-regular basis. Maybe he has a shot at getting named to the all-star roster."

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH

Brendan Haywood on the all-star team....one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life! Keep dreaming!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 2:10 PM

All the people saying Ivan I hope you feel better are a bunch of homo's that or just complete women. None of you know him and he doesn't care about any of you.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 2:12 PM

take the home blinders off people

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 2:15 PM

we will beat boston at home.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 2:15 PM

college_rat.....was that a joke??? Brendan is at best the 4th best Center in our own division. I'm not even going to talk about the whole eastern conference.

Also have you seen the all-star voting...I know the coaches pick the back-ups but Brendan has no shot.

Centers: Dwight Howard (Orl) 1,260,987; Shaquille O'Neal (Mia) 609,597; Rasheed Wallace (Det) 162,792; Ben Wallace (Chi) 146,332; Andrew Bogut (Mil) 132,469; Jermaine O'Neal (Ind) 120,690; Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Clev) 77,350; Emeka Okafor (Cha) 74,269; Zaza Pachulia (Atl) 58,430; Eddy Curry (NY) 53,084.

Posted by: stevie | January 5, 2008 2:23 PM

BTH is playing well and good for him and us, but he certainly isnt an all-star.

Neither is Shaq.

I'm just glad it seems EJ and BTH are on the same page.

Posted by: JSchon | January 5, 2008 3:38 PM

It is interesting how very different this team is this season. Previous years when the opposition is missing its best player (remember Denver last year?) the Wiz would struggle mightly. Now they seem to have learned how to play tough defense in the paint particularly early in the game, both on the road and at home. I can only attribute it to the new defensive minded asst coach; is it Ayers? Ernie needs to lock him up with a longer term deal, as I think he only signed him for a year or two. Also start looking for some similar additional asst coaching talent who can help bring AB, NY, Pech and DMac along. And replace the other current asst coaches, who are obvious stiffs, on Eddie's staff for next year.

Posted by: oddjob | January 5, 2008 6:45 PM

BTH is playing well and good for him and us, but he certainly isnt an all-star.

Based on what? The East is so weak at center that he might be. Not because he's great, but because the other contenders are a joke. Shaq? Please... Here's the list from stevie:

Howard is obviously the starter. Rasheed is listed at F, which I think is correct (doesn't McDyess start at C? - correct me if I'm wrong). Okafor is listed at F. I'd say Brendan is next on that list in terms of overall effectiveness.

Vote totals by fans are absurd, as they are every year. All you need to know about that is that Caron isn't in the top-10 for forwards, and Gilberto is third among guards. Stupidity reigns.

Posted by: Keithinator | January 5, 2008 7:57 PM

DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM, I skip all your posts since you don't seem to understand the caps lock key. Others probably do the same. If you want to be taken seriously, learn how to type in much-easier-to-read lowercase.

Posted by: Keithinator | January 5, 2008 7:59 PM

Keithantor...

Lets be honest... whether or not Rasheed or Omeka are listed as F's or C's, thats not my point, BTH isnt playing all-star caliber ball... I'm not sure if they allow for 12 or 15 players on the all-star team, but BTH isnt one of the best 30 players in the east. He shouldve been on the ballot but he isnt an all-star and I'm a Wizard fan (hardcore)... He has made great strides and has been more consistant this year but an all-star he is not... yet

Posted by: JSchon | January 5, 2008 11:44 PM

BTH may not be all-star caliber, but he sure made Bogut look like the biggest #1 bust since Kwame. As for Yi, I was a bit disappointed with him. He's got a beautiful jumper, but he doesn't seem to be able to do anything else--no post-up moves, a nonentity on defense and the boards, no hustle plays. I'd much rather have AB any day--for all his inconsistency, he has much more of an impact at both ends.

Posted by: John Brisker | January 6, 2008 12:50 AM

D. Howard will start. Assume for the moment that Shaq won't be named to the roster or won't play because of injuries.
I think it is legitimate to say that second Center spot comes down to Sheed vs. BTH vs. Bogut. O'Neal has been hurt and has struggled when playing, Ben Wallace has really struggled and so has his team.
The comparison

BTH: 27.4 mpg, 10.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.8 bpg, 12 double-doubles
Sheed: 31.4 mog, 12.9 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.4 bpg, 5 double-doubles
Bogut: 33.1 mpg, 11.7 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.8 bpg, 12 double-doubles

Interesting thing about this comparison. Sheed shoots 77.4 percent from free throw line, his usual. BTH is up 71.7 (!) percent from the foul line. A tremendous improvement. Bogut is only 53.1

So those who jumped all over me for suggesting that BTH could get the second center spot in the East, take a powder. The stats say that it isn't as ridicolous a notion as you think. Add to the fact that BTH has been one of the keys in helping the Wizards to a winning record w/out Arenas (which plenty of NBA people have noticed) can only help his cause. The Bucks stinking really hurts Bogut. Of course being on the East's best team helps Sheed.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 6, 2008 12:24 PM