Thursday update

Not a whole lot to update from today's practice. Everyone participated with the exception of forward Darius Songaila, who was excused to handle a "dental situation" in the words of Eddie Jordan. Songaila was expected to fly with the team to Atlanta and be available for tomorrow night's game against the Hawks.

-Oleksiy Pecherov went through another full practice and though he expects to be bothered by swelling in and around his right ankle for the rest of the season, he said he is ready for game action should Coach Eddie Jordan call his name. Knowing Eddie, he will likely look for a spot to get Pecherov in either tomorrow night or Saturday night against Boston. The team is playing four games in five nights so he'll use that bench.

-Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler both said that they fully expect to have Gilbert Arenas back before the season. Last week, Gilbert left the door open, saying that he may return anytime between early and mid March or sit out entirely. I doubted that last part and so do his teammates.
Antawn: "He likes to keep you guys (us ink-stained wretches) guessing but in my mind, there's no doubt that he's coming back.

Caron: "Every time I drive into the arena, I see that big sign saying: "I'll be back." So, come March 1 or the second week of March, he's going to be itching to come back."

-Caron will be on Inside the NBA tonight with Charles, Kenny and Ernie Johnson but doesn't have anything planned. "Anything I say will come right off the dome."

-Antawn had a funny quote when asked about Pecherov, who is not afraid to chuck up some shots. Matter of fact, dude is a Ukrainian version of Jamison.
Antawn: "I wouldn't say that he reminds me of myself but he likes to get 'em up."

-And one last thing. When I wrote my previous blog entry the other day about the guys getting challenged by some of the vets to grow up a little bit, I left out Roger Mason Jr. when mentioning the hardest working guys on the team. He's right up there when it comes to arriving early, staying late and doing whatever he needs to do to say prepared. The results speak for themselves.

By Ivan Carter |  January 10, 2008; 5:47 PM ET
Previous: Mutombo's Final D.C. Finger Wag | Next: Better Without All-Stars?

Comments

Cant wait to see Gil back in a uni!

Posted by: Ben | January 10, 2008 6:24 PM

Second

Gil should just wait til next season. The team won't make past the first round of the playoffs if they even make it. The East it weak but we are weaker.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 10, 2008 6:33 PM

If Gil's physically ready, he's got an obligation to play. Are the Wizards going to win title this season? Probably not. But the East is pretty wide open and any team that doesn't have to play the Pistons or Celtics in round one has a good shot at making it to the next round.

Posted by: kalorama | January 10, 2008 6:44 PM

What do you mean by "physically ready", the man just ditched his crutches a couple weeks ago?

He messed up his knee by rehabbing too hard in the summer, I don't blame him for being cautious this time.

Posted by: juandixonformvp | January 10, 2008 6:47 PM

"What do you mean by "physically ready"

I mean "physically ready."

Posted by: kalorama | January 10, 2008 6:50 PM

The next few games are huge for the Wiz. One against Atlanta, whose right on our backs and beat us recently, and then TWO against the Celtics in a row.

And does anyone else get the feeling that the rest of the East is beginning to wake up a little bit? Now is not the time to hit a rough patch.

Posted by: Washington Ball | January 10, 2008 6:57 PM

It'll be interesting to see where the team stands in mid-March. Their record after a very tough February schedule (9 of 14 on the road; west coast road trip, etc.) will be a major determining factor in whether Arenas comes back this year or next.

Posted by: wisc ave | January 10, 2008 7:07 PM

We all know that EJ doesn't know how to use talent properly. We are headed for a losing streak unless he gives up his under-playing of BTH. Also, why can't he find a way to break D-Mac in, and give him some much needed confidence.

Posted by: No EJ | January 10, 2008 7:26 PM

Posted by: oddjob | January 10, 2008 10:03 PM

We are headed for a losing streak because we have back to back against the Celtics upcoming.

That said, I would love to see one game where EJ would say feed Haywood and then feed him some more. Just for kicks could we see what would happen if we worked inside out for one game?! Believe this stratedgy has been succesful in the NBA previously. Not saying Haywood is the new Shaq, just saying the east has no bigs and it might be fun to see what BH would do if given 20 attempts.

Not against Boston though...Garnett is a Big Dog.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | January 10, 2008 10:13 PM

"the fact that we dont have another pt guard behind AD is what is really going to show up over the course of the next 3-4 games. they ought to bring the guy they just had on the team back for another stint and see if he keeps improving. unless they something better in the works...

Posted by: oddjob | January 10, 2008 10:03 PM "

Yeah, and mark thinks EG should be "GM of the last 5 years" because of this.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 10, 2008 10:15 PM

Ohhhh sh•t

He served that up hot!

Let's now forget,

Gilby: 6, A, 8, 3, H, 2, 8!
Fools need to recognize!

Hi Five DCmang!

Posted by: i smoke | January 11, 2008 12:42 AM

People need to lay of Eddie. What more does people want? I think he has done a fine job with the situation he is in with Gil being out and Etan being out. All coaches make a mistake or two here and there but in my mind he has the Wiz in a good position and they are playing defense. He and the team are growing together.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 11, 2008 7:39 AM

LOL. Some of you guys sure love to twist comments and make it serve your purpose. I never said that since we have 3 all stars, we'd get to the Finals. I said that it's indicative of the talent on this team and that GA could lead us to the Finals.
I should have expected for some of us to take the opportunity to mention what GA hasn't done rather than what he HAS.
Again, 88. What does GA do that's good? I asked you this question days ago and you skipped over it to bash him again. Is there anything good about GA in your opinion?
Also, I doubt anyone was talking about the Cavs in the Finals at this time last year. We have just as good a shot as anyone if we get hot...especially if Gilbert comes back. Comparing the Celts big 3 to ours using Hollinger's PER ratings system ( I used GA's rating from last year since he's hurt this year)GA + CB + AJ is much higher than Garnett, Pierce and Allen. Throw in BTH's 19.60, which btw is the 2nd highest in the conference for Centers behind Dwight Howard, and there's no reason to think that we can't be as good as or better than Boston by playoff time.
O ye of little faith. I can guarantee you that no one wants to see us in April/May.

Posted by: mark | January 11, 2008 7:57 AM

not just that, 88. Don't you think that GA + AD is one of the most talented PG combos in the league ? Behind Nash/barbosa and Kidd/Williams, etc ? Based on what the doctors told us all, GA would be ready to play this year. How would EG know that they'd both get hurt? Was he supposed to cut a big (McGuire) to keep a third point guard? Be real, dude. EG has done a pretty good job acquiring talent. Give him some credit.
I'm on board with the feeding down low to BTH. I think this Pronceton hybrid prevents us from doing that,though. I'd love to see what happened but doubt EJ's ready to give it a go.

Posted by: mark | January 11, 2008 8:01 AM

"I said that it's indicative of the talent on this team and that GA could lead us to the Finals.

Posted by: mark | January 11, 2008 07:57 AM "

How can Gilby "lead us" when he's not even a leader?

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 11, 2008 8:02 AM

"

Posted by: mark | January 11, 2008 08:01 AM "

Doesn't matter how talented you are. What matters is how deep you go into the playoffs. Talent will get you that big contract. Talent alone won't get you a ring.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 11, 2008 8:04 AM

...now I'm not saying I wouldn't have done some things differently. I was one of the guys looking to keep JCN or leave him in Europe another year. But if AD had stayed healthy, RM is good enough as a backup. By the time we had these pg injuries, the season had started and our hands were tied financially.

Posted by: mark | January 11, 2008 8:06 AM

88, What we do know is that lack of talent gets you first round picks like Tom Hammonds, LaBradford Smith, Harvey Grant, Muggsy Bogues.
You have to have takent to win in this league. It's step 1. Add experience to that talent and you're on to something. We have that.
You think talent doesn't matter ? Ask Wes Unseld if he believes that. He had very little when he was coaching.

Posted by: mark | January 11, 2008 8:13 AM

mark, when did I say that talent didn't matter?

"Talent alone won't get you a ring.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 11, 2008 08:04 AM "

How many former NBA stars could "jump out da gym" or "shoot the lights out," but their careers didn't amount to much because they didn't realize that even with talent, other factors play a role just as important?

Talent is really useless if you don't have heart, drive, determination, focus, etc. and add all that to a lotta luck.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 11, 2008 9:14 AM

Gilby: 6, A, 8, 3, H, 2, 8!
Fools need to recognize!

Hi Five DCmang!

Posted by: i smoke | January 11, 2008 12:42 AM

Err, speak English please. Is this some kind of "in" code?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 11, 2008 11:42 AM

I'm glad the A-town fans finally have something to cheer about in regards to the Hawks..
But, it can't be at the Wizards expense.
We can't have the Hawks chomping at our heels in the division!!

Posted by: sfg | January 11, 2008 12:36 PM

This weekend will be interesting to see for the Wizards. Pech is back and after their disappointing lost to houston, the wizards will be facing a tougher challenge this weekend. I'm sure the main stars will play hard, I want to see improvement from the bench, which means Blatche and Young have to play better on a consistent nightly basis. There talking about vets mentoring the young guys, I'm hoping that mentoring is an improvement on the basketball floor.

As for Gilbert, Amare had the same injury 2 yrs ago, came back in the middle of the season played 2 games and shut it down for the remainder of the season, so I won't be surprised either way Gilbert goes. I think it's too soon but the doctors and Gilbert know a lot better.

Posted by: Robert C. | January 11, 2008 12:51 PM

I don't see Gilbert a coming back that soon unless his surgery was non-evasive. Otherwise..he should be one all yer. Then again, when players are in contract negotiations...they do tend to have "knee & elbow problems." KG had chronic elbow problems especially when he couldn't get traded..TMAC in Orlando? Chronic "back" or "Knee"
Lets hope GA is ok & it isn't contract issues.

Please, Please don't talk about Mason period. The guy has to be ADD or ADHD whatever it is..it isn't a point guard. I understand its some family thing w/EJ.
But a pg he "AIN'T!!!

Posted by: Sarge | January 11, 2008 6:12 PM

What is all this garbage in asking DC Woman88 questions? He/she/it isn't worth wasting your time doing that. What does this fool ever do except spew anti-Gil and anti-Wizards and racist comments?

Just ignore the village idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 12, 2008 1:56 AM

About the ATL game....

Nice game DeShawn! That was the best overall game I have seen him play since he's been here.

Nice game 'Dray! The best game he has had in a while, we need this kind of game from him!

Finally Pecherov played!!! Came in and quickly scored, got a rebound, picked up a foul, and a turnover. Nice to see him finally on the court!

McGuire played 14 seconds