Arenas cleared to practice but fearful

Guard Gilbert Arenas, who has been out since Nov. 17 with a left knee injury, said team doctors told him last night that he is now cleared to practice at full speed. However, Arenas said he is still trying to get over the mental block of what happened to him earlier this season when he tried to return from his first surgery.

Arenas played in eight games but was bothered by swelling and pain in the knee and shut it down after a game at Minnesota on Nov. 16. On Nov. 21, he underwent surgery to repair a partial tear of the left meniscus and on a non-weight bearing bone on the side of the knee. Arenas originally tore the left meniscus last April 4 in game against Charlotte and underwent season-ending knee surgery a few days later.

The team confirmed that Arenas has been cleared to practice but said no date has been set for his return to game action. Arenas said he will practice at full speed for the first time tomorrow.

Still, Arenas said he is reluctant to push himself too quickly.

"I don't want to get hurt again," Arenas said. "Two injuries back-to-back kind of messes with a guy mentally. I took a long time, I rehabbed very well and I don't want another setback. Mentally, I don't want to go through that again. I'm just going to take it slow, work out with the team and just build up the confidence mentally."

The Wizards (29-30) have 23 games remaining and are currently in sixth-place in the Eastern Conference. Arenas has been playing games of one-on-one with teammates and has also run through plays with the coaching staff but has yet to go through a contact practice. Arenas said how the knee responds to practices will determine when he will return to game action.

The Wizards close the month with a challenging five-game road trip against Western Conference opponents.
"Hopefully, I'm playing before we go west," Arenas said. "I really don't know how long it's going to take. Right now, I can just do my part by practicing."

By Ivan Carter |  March 3, 2008; 4:56 PM ET
Previous: Hornets at Wizards | Next: Practicing Gilbertology

Comments

Hopefully this team/city aren't cursed and we get Arenas and Butler both back healthy for the playoffs!

Posted by: Curse of Les Boulez | March 3, 2008 5:23 PM

Why don't we all take up a collection and send Gilby a box of tissues, or a blanket to hide under?

Truthfully speaking, Gilby should probably be really ready in about 5 weeks after any green lights from Les BouleS doctors. That's optimistically speaking.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 5:31 PM

"Mentally, I don't want to go through that again. I'm just going to take it slow, work out with the team and just build up the confidence mentally."

Posted by: Translation | March 3, 2008 5:36 PM

Wow..it's amazing how quickly fans turn. How many of us have been through two knee surgeries? Hell I know people who get it little fender benders and are afraid to get behind the wheel again. Let that man do what he has to do.

Posted by: DC Fan | March 3, 2008 5:50 PM

I agree with dc fan.

ease up on gil. let the man come back when he is ready.

as far as i can tell the wiz only need to finish in 6 place or better to get a match up in the playoffs not against det or bos.

as long as the rest of the guys can keep us in that position let gil and caron get enough rest to make sure we have them when we need them.

need i remind anyone how tough it was to watch the rest of the guys (try hard but) get beat by lebron last year.

only cavs fans and lebron lovers would have picked the cavs last year if we had had a healthy roster.

i say get healthy gil/caron and make some noise in the playoffs with the guys who have been playing hard and getting experience in your absence

Posted by: mtlaw749 | March 3, 2008 6:00 PM

Right on, DC Fan.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 6:01 PM

Seeing that we are currently slated to face the Magic in the first round of the playoffs, I think that the outcome of tomorrows game is going to be pretty important in determining when gil and caron return.

If we win convincingly, I would push back any hope of Gil and Caron returning in to April.

If we lose convincingly, I think we see Gil in action within a week, Caron by the end of the month.

If its close, they will both be back in two weeks.

This is not based on any medical reasoning, just what I think would be the right move for our team to play its best in the playoffs

Posted by: ATLwizFan | March 3, 2008 6:02 PM

Assuming that we do finally get Gilbert and Caron back healthy for the playoffs, the positive in all this is that we now have a bench where everone can contribute.

Posted by: Tim | March 3, 2008 6:06 PM

I think we have to show patients as an organization. No matter what is happening in the playoff race, we cannot force Caron and Gil back before they are ready. These guys are 26 and 27 years old, and the future of the organization, and we need them down the road. Let them come back on their own

Posted by: Ben | March 3, 2008 6:14 PM

Even after he does suit up for a regular game, it'll probably take a while before Arenas is up to full speed (whatever that is in his current condition). That fear of getting hurt again is something a player just has to deal with, and until he takes some real game contact and walks away from it, it'll be there in the back of his mind.

Posted by: kalorama | March 3, 2008 6:15 PM

Forget Gil, He is not going to risk his payday. What we need is a healthy Caron, The best player on the team.

Posted by: rskinz | March 3, 2008 6:22 PM

"I agree with the ease on Gil sentiment, but for whatever reason he is starting to annoy me.

Posted by: Ben | March 3, 2008 06:14 PM "

LOL!

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 6:48 PM

Ernie Grunfeld;

Please hear this !!! True, Gilbert is not gonna push hard until contract is re-newed. funny, he did'nt mind getting paid while he took his time coming back. He is going to want to get paid pre-injury Arenas. But, he's already told you, mentally he's not pre-Gilbert anymore. Many players never return to the same player after even one knee surgery. Never mind two. Add the equation the new contract money. Will he EVER be the same guy ? What's his motivation then ? Make no bones about it. I Love Agent Zero, but word to the wise...don't let this guy empty the bank.

Posted by: DreDay | March 3, 2008 6:51 PM

I sensed this was coming when Comcast showed a commercial for Wednesday night's game last night featuring Gilbert.

By the way, I'm not sure there is any correlation between the Wizards' medical staff determining that a player is ready to return to action and that player's injury being healed.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 6:52 PM

"I am opting out of my contract this summer and there is no way I am jeopardizing my big fat payday by playing hurt.

Posted by: Translation | March 3, 2008 05:36 PM "

LOL!

Right on.

Add:

"......no way I am jeopardizing my big fat payday by playing hurt for this sorry team that's not going to do squat in the playoffs because other teams/owners manned up with reinforcements while Dishonest Abe is only concerned with collecting his fat lux tax welfare check and hoping one guy with a bad hip and one guy with a gimpy knee to bail out this franchise. If I learned nothing else from Les BouleS history, I learned from the example MJ was made out to be when he was kicked to the curb after he gave 2 years to this franchise on the court and then was unceremoniously given the royal boot out of chinatown. At least he went out in style with his ragtop Aston Martin. A championship team's business model is to do whatever it takes to win on the court, not hedge the franchise's success/profits on lux tax welfare...."

Gilby's excuse to leave at the end of this season could be that he doesn't think Les BouleS are serious about winning a championship, and I seriously could not blame him.

------------------------------------------

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

--------------------------------------------

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 6:59 PM

"Ernie Grunfeld;

Posted by: DreDay | March 3, 2008 06:51 PM "

With this warm weather we're having, maybe a couple of runs down at Barry Farms will renew his confidence. Do they still have 9ft. rims down there? Maybe someone can send that Gilby Gopher Boy, Mike Wise, to go check.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 7:00 PM

Yea, because the unselfish team player would risk his career, and damn near 100 million so he can come back two weeks earlier. How can you blame him for being cautious? Last time he was skewered by many of the same people for rushing back, biking through D.C., running with a parachute...This is how he makes a living, his livelihood. Why risk potentially 10 more years of all star ball? Would any of you sacrifice your career for a couple weeks of most likely meaningless games (look at east standings). A healthy Gil for playoffs is the key here. If Caron comes back healthy as well, look out east, It's On.

Posted by: DT | March 3, 2008 7:01 PM

2-3 weeks!

Posted by: Donk | March 3, 2008 7:03 PM

I hope Gil never plays in a Wiz uniform again. He is a no D playing, shot jacker. There, I said it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 7:03 PM

I post old stories
I have man boobs and bad breath
I post old stories

Posted by: Haiku | March 3, 2008 7:04 PM

I have to agree with guys writing in. But, was it only me that was P@#$$%ed when, yet another deadline passes and we did NOTHING ? Say what you want about Danny-boy (Snyder) When it comes to winning, would he consider a luxury tax ? It's time to change the mind-set of wizard brass. Abe, this means YOU !!

Posted by: DreDay | March 3, 2008 7:08 PM

I hope Gil plays in a Wiz uniform again. He is a D playing, shot jacker. There, I said it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 7:10 PM

why would he NOT play hoping to get a max contract? some of these comments are just ridiculous. the only way he can prove that he is deserving is to play and to play well.
give the guy some slack. he could very easily just cruise and collect the money he has under his existing contract. he'll play and play well. by April, he should be in all star shape. remember, this is an all star who will be April-fresh at the same time that everyone else in the league is dead tired. If we get CB back, we're scary good. even without, no one wants to see us.

Posted by: mark | March 3, 2008 7:13 PM

I've gone through the same surgery Gil went through. I don't see any problem with him being a little nervous. Whenever you come back from those surgeries, you are always a little wary of getting hurt again. Any person that says anything to the contrary is lying to us and them themselves. All I care about is the playoffs. The rest is crap. We just need to be good enough so we don't play Boston in the first round.

Posted by: BT | March 3, 2008 7:15 PM

You know, I am not dumping on Gil because if you ask anyone that knows me, they will tell you Gil can do no wrong in my eyes. However, I would have kept that statement to myself. First of all, Gil was the one who pushed himself too hard over the summer. Gil also wants to be known as one of the premier players in the NBA but to do that he has to display a sense of team. That statement sounds selfish to me. Caron is chomping at the bit to be able to play. Hell, he played when he should not have further hurting himself because he wanted the WIZ to win. Kobe is playing with a tear in finger, Lebron has played with mild ankle sprains, Daniels with hurt ankles, Deshawn with gimpy knees. So what exactly makes Gil ready to play, that would be my question. He has to see how "his" team is suffering and needs him but yet declines to play because he is "scared" of hurting himself. I'm sorry, but on this, Gil has disappointed me and I am sure his teammates as well. I thought more highly of him than this. Every time any NBA,NFL,NHL player gets on the field,court,ice,etc, they run the risk of getting hurt. That is part of the game and that is why they are paid as they are. Again I ask, what will make him get past this "mental" block he has. Come on Gil, you are better than that. Show "your" team and fans what you are capabale of. I wonder what other players around the league are thinking of his statement. In addition, he is still getting paid.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 7:34 PM

Why does everyone want us to make the playoffs and get knocked out first round with a gimpy BUtler and mentally-unprepared-to-play Arenas????

Let's get real people. TANK THE SEASON. Shut down Caron, let Gil loaf around in practice, play the young guys to get some game experience, STOP WINNING GAMES, take Kevin Love in the draft and start building the dynasty.

Posted by: p1funk | March 3, 2008 7:51 PM

I would rather play Orlando instead of Cleveland.

Posted by: Darnell | March 3, 2008 8:00 PM

To all those that want to Tank, tank your LIFE

Posted by: Donk | March 3, 2008 8:01 PM

It's great news Gilbert is cleared to practice!! Great news!

It will be huge for us when he comes back. He brings explosive and dominating offense, when that is added to our improved team defense we will be very tough to beat. Add to that our improved offensive support... Caron's increased range, Mason and Young, Blatche's improvements and DeShawn's, etc.

Our bench is also vastly improved with Daniels return.

Posted by: Darnell | March 3, 2008 8:10 PM

Shut him down! No GM in thier right mind would give him a max contract after basically sitting out this season. Just think how bad his D will be with a gimpy knee. especially when he needs to rest it for his 50 shots a game.

Posted by: rskinz | March 3, 2008 8:10 PM

you guys have some short memories. before Gil was here, this was one sorry franchise. Cut the man some slack and at least wait until he bails out of town before you bag on him. he may not play much D, but he can shoot the pill and forces defenses to play us honest.

Posted by: Kmart | March 3, 2008 8:16 PM

Yea, Gil is cleared to practice and then play. Oh wait a minute. He is too scared to play right now. What a joke!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 8:17 PM

I agree with the others on cutting Gil some slack. He is just expressing what all athletes think. This is why he will go through full practices before entering a game--to have the contact and get over the mental part.

I grew up in Philly. Fans in this town are way worse turning on their athletes.
Look how hard he worked last summer--how quickly you all forget.

Posted by: Robert | March 3, 2008 8:23 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 8:30 PM

Take your time Gilbert, as long as we get the eight spot in the East, with our full line-up we can beat anyone.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 3, 2008 8:37 PM

Yes he is Mr Eccentric. For this we don't need to crucify him nor do we need to coddify him. But he is clearly not this team's leader, as that torch has been passed. At worst he will be a dangerous scoring threat from anywhere on the court. He deserves a big salary, just not a max salary. Let him get his head right, whatever that means and then get into the game. We will see him in April.

Posted by: oddjob | March 3, 2008 8:52 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that if Arenas doesn't play much at the end of this season it will hurts his chances in free agency if he opts out of his contract? He's going to want to get paid like one of the top 5 scorers in the league, even though he's been injured for around a 1 yr. That's a big risk for any team to take. Not playing brings down is market value. Its in Arenas's best interest, financially speaking, to play and play like the Arenas of old.

I genuinely think he's afraid of jeopardizing his career. He's still a relatively young guy. Its possible that he has another 8 or 9 seasons left in him. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: DC2OC | March 3, 2008 8:53 PM

I use to be a gym rat. I played ball everyday at Nottoway Park during the summers until they shut off the lights at 10pm. I tore my meniscus skiing in January and thought I was ready to hope it up again in April after rehab. Boom, injured the same knee. I have never had confidence in that knee again.

Im a scrub. GA is professional athlete and needs to be confident in order to be effective. What do I need my knee for? I dont ski, I dont play hoop anymore. I work behind a desk. GA needs his knee and mind to be right and we should all be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Some of you guys in here need to go through injuries before you pass judgement on a topic you cant possibly have any intelligent comment on.

Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 8:59 PM

Contract or no contract I think the best move is to just shut him down for the season. If he couldn't fully recover from April to October, why do we think he is going to show up in a couple of weeks and be Gil of 2 years ago? What's the point? Just let him get healthy and decide what to do with him after the season is over with.

Posted by: virtueandvice | March 3, 2008 9:00 PM

hoop it up... not hope it up, although many of my shots needed hope...

Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 9:01 PM

Trust me when I tell you knee surgery is no joke. I had a torn MCL and that is VERY painful. The surgery was painful and the rehab was painful. I favored my knee for a LONG TIME after I was cleared to 'resume normal duties'.

Give the man a break! Better he take it slow and not reinjure himself. Fully healthy he is a BEAST who has the respect of every palyer and coach in the ASSOCIATION!

Posted by: DUDECAMER0N | March 3, 2008 9:03 PM

""I've been cleared to practice and play," said Arenas. "Right now, it's just getting in shape. It's more mental. I'm actually scared to play right now. I think that's where we're at right now so I'm looking at it game by game. I think I'm scared to go out there right now. I just need to go through these practices and get my rhythm back. I'm still going to try and take it slow.""

Clearly, BBall is different from Football. I recall reading an article awhile ago about Sean Taylor, and how he used to go bezerk whenever any of his teammates showed or expressed fear on the field.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 9:12 PM

I feel like I see the same folks commenting over and over ad nauseum taking the same general trak. You can thank the Svedka for facilitating my sharing of this conspiracy theory, but here's the rub:
dcman88 and mark are the same person, and that person is...

none other than Agent Zero himself posing as both the antogonist and protagonist as a means to probe the depths of fanatic fan-dom.

I'll go back to the svedka now.
thanks

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 9:19 PM

Let's wait to see what happens before jumping all over him. He said he's nervous to get back to playing. Who wouldn't be? Well that can change. He's set for a full practice tomorrow and after that he can get a sense of how his knee is holding up. I'm guessing that he's back playing before April.
Same thing with his contract situation. Lets see what happens. There's a good chance that he won't opt out this year. He may decide that he's better off financially waiting until next year for free agency. There's no point in speculating until he does or does not opt out of his current contract.

Posted by: bowie | March 3, 2008 9:21 PM

Bowie - Unfortunately, the best time for the Wizards for Arenas to opt out of his contract is THIS year.

Jamison's contract expires at the end of this year and the Wizards can use that $16 Million to resign Arenas... then sign Jamison to a long term contract for $8 -$10 Million.

Wait until next year, and the Wiz might have trouble with the Luxury Tax to resign Arenas to a 'max deal'.

Posted by: Rook | March 3, 2008 9:27 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 09:12 PM

Thats a great story. GA isnt on the court yet so this statement really doesnt apply.

Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 9:38 PM

Posted by: John Brisker | March 3, 2008 9:41 PM

"Williams said that if a teammate showed fear on the field or an opponent dared challenge his fire, Taylor would fly into rages. As a result, there were several times he had to be chased away from fellow players because he was so disgusted by their timidity. Any stranger who smiled at him around the football building was looked at skeptically."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 9:44 PM

"Disregard the haters--this is great news. So GA admits to being a little scared about coming back from two knee surgeries. Anyone who's had a knee injury can sympathize with that. I certainly can. He'll get over it after a few practices.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 3, 2008 09:41 PM "

Over these past two weeks, hasn't Gilby been practicing against Nick Young?

It's not like Gilby just had his training wheels removed and is suddenly mountain biking off Mt. Everest.

The only way Gilby is going to get better is to take his sweet time. He doesn't need the Les BouleS medical staff to put this pressure on him by clearing him.

I mean, the dude who tore Gilby's knee up, Gerald Wallace, is not even back yet from his 4th concussion. What we won't see when Gilby comes back is him manning up on D, or hanging around the basket when the ball goes up, so that someone else can crash into his other knee. Gilby's lucky that Tim "Knee and ankle breaker" Hardaway isn't playing anymore.

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 9:50 PM

I stopped reading this blog because of the idiots that never have anything positive to say, but this tearing down Gil has takin it to an all time low.
The man has a surgery does what he believes is right to rehab it, ends up getting hurt again and has to have two more. Now he is cleared to go and is a little scared. Well damn it he should be scared. I'm sure the injury and surgeries were extremely painful and I'm sure he doesn't want that again. For anyone to call him weak, ridiculous, or anything else is just plain pathetic!
As for the get rid of Gil people. Who's gonna get us buckets with their ability to drive and make last second shots. Gil is a certified go to man. As great as Caron is he really can't break down better defenders, Gil can. Every championship team has had a go to guy. One that can score or draw fouls when you have to have them. Caron doesn't have the speed off the dribble. If we lose gil this team will struggle come playoff time.
And remember if your one of those people who just want Gil gone, When he comes back and hits a game winner or drops 50 or blows buy a defender gets fouled and scores or draws a foul to hit freethrows to win a game remember you didn't want him here.

Posted by: the truth | March 3, 2008 10:01 PM

If I were Gilbert, no way would I get back on the court again this year. Shoot for '08-'09. What is to be gained? Best case scenario is getting to the second round of the playoffs. I know he wants to prove he's worth "the big contract" this summer, but maybe he ought to sign a 1-year extension and make his big contract bid then.

By the by, when I was rehabbing after tearing my ACL, I asked how it was possible for these athletes to come back so soon after surgery. After the standard lines about "how superior" these athletes were, basically they said, "it's their livelihood, so they allow doctors to cut corners (the example they used was Curt Schilling sewing a tendon to his ankle) and sacrifice their bodies with no true thought about recovery. ... In the phrase 'sports medicine' it's more 'sports' and not much 'medicine.'" What's more, anyone who's been through one of these surgeries knows, Gil's never going to be more than 90% of what he was--it's just not a physical possibility; that's under the best anyone can do with rehab. Why not wait and let him get a legitimate shot at that rather than push him back at 50% or 60%. As someone said above, he's the future. Not worth risking for an inevitable mid-May exit. He's got good reason to have a mental block about this, because the odds at this point are really not on his side. He'll be much more prone to reinjury if he comes back now than if he waits.

Posted by: JMR | March 3, 2008 10:02 PM

Dude, ease up. Gil expressed some honest sentiment and some of you are all over him immediately. Can some of you (88) just reserve judgment for a couple of weeks? There are a number of folks who talked about their own personal experiences with surgery and the mental block that created. I haven't experienced that, but seems totally natural to me. Perhaps Gil shouldn't have expressed it, but that's who he is.

This all said, 88 is not necessarily making ad hominen attacks right now and he is making legit points so the rest of the peanut gallery: let's stay on substance and not degenerate.

Posted by: duk | March 3, 2008 10:03 PM

Gilbert needs to get that knee in shape for the playoffs (assuming the team can get us there). The better he does in the playoffs, the more he will be worth at the end of the season. So, its in his (and the teams) best interest to come back and play well. Things could be interesting if we have a healthy and well rested Gilbert and Caron just in time for the playoffs.

Go Bullets!

Posted by: Go Bullets! | March 3, 2008 10:08 PM

88 injures thumb
Wont give up blogging nonsense
Is still a douche bag

Posted by: Haiku | March 3, 2008 10:12 PM

Gilby is a scrub.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 10:24 PM

Have we learned nothing from our years with Gil? He says whatever is on his mind at the exact moment he says it. Tomorrow he could be over his "fear" and running full practices with a parachute, LOL! Gil's commentary, while truly amusing (and don't get me wrong, I love the guy!), should really be taken with a grain of salt.

When I read this my first thought was--"Wow, we almost have a full practice squad!" That's a sad, sad, sad state of affairs!

Here's hoping he and Caron are back and feeling fresh come April.

Posted by: Lou | March 3, 2008 10:27 PM

88 injures pinkie
comes back blogging too soon
reinjures pinkie

Posted by: More Haiku | March 3, 2008 10:28 PM

Sign and Trade Gilby over the summer. Maybe we can get Devin Harris.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 3, 2008 10:38 PM

Gil's gotta play. No way anyone gives him the max without knowing he's got a stable knee.

We need Gilbert and Caron to play the final 12-15 games. I don't see how they can develop any rhythm or get the rotations right without giving about that much time to work out the kinks.

As a Wiz fan, I want to see Gil come back strong. Same for CB

Posted by: Pauly B. | March 3, 2008 10:54 PM

Elton Brand is getting max money sight unseen... GA will get paid by somebody if not us...

He is staying here... not to worry...

Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 11:03 PM

I dunno about this one. Not great news that he's scared, but can you blame him? His next contract will guarantee financial security for the next five generations of Agent Zeros. You all did turn on the guy quick though. Who's next? CB. Wiz won four of the last five without him. Ya think we're better without caron too? Look at the Butler blog that asks that same thing...kiddingly. You want larry back? Can't believe that dude.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2008 11:05 PM

Elton hasnt played a game this season...

Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 11:06 PM

People should not be mad at Arenas for being cautious. 2 operation on the same knee in the year is a career threat. He wants his big payday but who wouldn't. If you want to be mad, pick on Abe and the organization. Again the Wiz did nothing to improve the team in season. Championship teams or teams that will do what it takes to compete would not have a team play all year with 10 or 11 players. I am not a fan, but do you think someone like Mark Cuban would worry about the luxury tax. The answer is no. His team would have signed the best availablt to bring the team up to full strength on the roster. The depleted team has battled all year. Too bad the organization and Abe has not done the same.

Posted by: Mike B | March 3, 2008 11:29 PM

It's hardly a given that Brand is getting a max contract, coming off a much more serious injury than Arenas. And even if he does, that doesn't really reflect much on what Arenas gets. Brand is a dominating 20/10 shotblocking low post big man. Arenas is a scoring guard. The former are harder to come by than the latter, so they're more highly valued and teams are more likely to take bigger risks to get one.

Posted by: kalorama | March 3, 2008 11:42 PM

I never said one was better than the other. All I said is that someone is going to pay EB and someone is going to pay GA.

I think we are the ones that are going to pay GA.

Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 11:59 PM

We can argue that if you want, but both of us would be speculating.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2008 12:05 AM

"I never said one was better than the other."

Uh ... I never said you did.

"All I said is that someone is going to pay EB and someone is going to pay GA."

Actually, what you said was that someone was going to pay Brand "max money sight unseen" as an implication that Gilbert getting the max is a given. I just don't think either of those things is a given. And even if Brand does get max money coming off his injury, that doesn't automatically mean Arenas will. The relative market value on a guy who plays Gilbert's position and one who plays Brand's is very different.

Posted by: kalorama | March 4, 2008 12:14 AM

"both of us would be speculating"

Posted by: kalorama | March 4, 2008 12:16 AM

Yeah. And...?

Posted by: kalorama | March 4, 2008 12:16 AM

I am Kyle from SemiPro

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 4, 2008 12:59 AM

This is a hilarious thread. Who knew Arenas being cleared to practice would get so much chatter? Thanks for the testimonials though!

Best post by far -
"Hmmm, I wonder how EJ is going to break in this newly healed Gilby. Let's start with 40 minutes." - DCMan

DCMan, your killing me. What makes this so funny is it's SO true!

Whether he plays 10,20,30 games, I don't see him being anywhere close to 100% this season. It almost does not make sense to risk it.

Posted by: Rob P | March 4, 2008 1:42 AM

How can so many of you jump on Gilbert for being honest about his fears?

Candor and ingenuousness are as much a part of his game as a quick first step and absolute confidence in his shot.

Regardless of how we play against Orlando on Wednesday, and I truly hope we win, neither Arenas nor Butler should be rushed back into the lineup. If we could have them both healthy by the end of March, the Wizards could be VERY competitive in the playoffs.

Posted by: khrabb | March 4, 2008 4:57 AM

woooooow....boy, there are some wizards fans in here! Much respect for the people who are cutting this man some slack! Hate on Gerald Wallace if anyone ppl. Gil is our franchise player, he's turned this team around big time...and he's given plenty back to his fans! We just need to be patient. Just think of how big the chip on Gil's shoulder is now!

Posted by: unnamed | March 4, 2008 7:36 AM

It's hard to believe that some folks are actually dogging GA for rehabbing too aggressively so that he could come back in time for the start of the 2007 season. Unreal ! What would you all have said if he had not been ready? Probably that he was dogging it and being too cautious so that he could get a big payday in 2008.
What does the guy have to do to win some of you guys over? ...and don't say take us beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs because it's clearly not just on him. He took a non-defense-playing team about as far as one guy (with some help, of course) can. With BTH playing in the middle consistently and an improved emphasis on D, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.
Admitting that he's nervous about playing shouldn't be a problem. He's being honest. 2 surgeries in one year will do that to you. People often complain about guys not 'keeping it real' when they hit the big time. Riding around on a bike downtown to rehab, playing ball in the hood, discussing your girl problems, calling someone out for turning down millions, getting mad at being dissed for the Olympic team...time and time again, all he does is tell it like he sees it. Does he market himself? Absolutely. Exposure creates money. Any one of us would do that, too. Does he speak too soon? maybe. He's in his early 20's. We all did (do) that when we're young. I'm not saying the guy is a saint and I'm not defending everything he's said or done but is it really necessary to consistently bash the guy who took this poor Wiz team and raised us (with help) from a team that no one talked about to a consistent playoff contender? I think some of you guys are being too tough on the man.

Posted by: mark | March 4, 2008 7:43 AM

Me and DCMAN88 the same person? Absolutely not. That is one ***ked up theory. If you read what we write, there's no way you'd even suggest that one. He's talked about me, my mom...I think a horse was even involved once.
I'm a Wiz fan who happens to think that BTH and GA take a lot of heat and don't deserve it. I am NOT 88. Trust that.

Posted by: mark | March 4, 2008 7:47 AM

Also, add me to the list of guys here who've had meniscus and microfracture (among others surgeries) and felt the same fear about playing ball again. I, like JSchon, am also just a scrub. ;) It's normal to be afraid.

Posted by: mark | March 4, 2008 7:50 AM

Jshon, the "Hope It up" line was a typo, but boy was it so true for so many of us guys over the years. I'll remember and use that one.

In this age of My Space where everybody puts their innermost secrets online, I quess it's not surprising that a guy like Gil,who has his own blog, is going to come out and say what ever is on his mind.

Returning from the second surgery on the same knee in less then a year, he's saying what any sane person would have on their mind. Many would have used some typical line we've heard a thousand times before from guys about easing their way back into things.

Leave it to Gil to be up front and honest about it. For those of you that haven't had one, knee injuries hurt like hell. Recovery is slow and painful and it can hurt like hell.

So for those of you that have never been there, get out a hammer, put one hand on a solid surface, and with the other hand hit your pinkie finger as hard as you can with the hammer!

Now you can go through life without a pinkie finger, you can even type without one. But if you hit that little sucker right on the nail it will hurt like hell until that thing turns black, and eventually falls off.

But there's not one thing in life you can't do while that thing is hurting. In 6 months it will be good as new, in a couple of years you might even forget about it.

But I bet you'll be afraid to ever hit that thing with a hammer again.

It's good news Gil's cleared to practice, and is working his way back. Thing about Gil is he's aways been a real baller. Most of the guys like that I've ever known, when they start to feel better that instinct, drive, whatever it is that made them so good in the first place starts to kick in. And it overshadows everything else.

Timings about right, with no setbacks he'll be balling again and ready for the playoffs.

Posted by: GM | March 4, 2008 8:19 AM

Trade him!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 4, 2008 8:47 AM

Posted by: | March 3, 2008 07:34 PM

Some people on here are ridiculous. Gil isn't coming back from "mildly sprained ankles", "gimpy knees", "sprained fingers", or any other mild injury. You can't "tough it out" and play through a surgically repaired knee. That's not how it works. His injury has to be rehabbed. Fully. If he was just "taking it easy", then he would never come back 100%.

Just because you're cleared to go 100% in contact practice doesn't mean that you're 100% ready to go. It's just another step in the rehab process. Contact has to be built up. You have to start off light, then when you find out you can take the light stuff, you increase a little bit. Just like any other part of the rehab process.

And people should be happy Gilbert's being cautious. He's an investment for this team. Just like you wouldn't want Caron out there playing on a torn hip flexor hurting his status for the future, you shouldn't want Gilbert out there UNTIL HE'S 100% READY TO PLAY. Give him a break, he'll be back on the court when he knows his body is ready to take it.

Posted by: psps23 | March 4, 2008 8:50 AM

Being mentally afraid to play is something people who get injured have to overcome. It comes with playing. Gil admitting it is not a testament of his contract, desire, or heart. What goes up, must go down, what runs at full speed, must come to a stop. People think that cutting and running are all there is to overcome mentally. But, when I tore my knee up, after I would jump, I would be looking down to make sure I had a good place to land. The same with running, you are scared to stop on a dime. All that is mental as way and what Gil is going thru. After the first injury, when Gil was playing, you can see him not going all the way to the rim. He was not scared of contact, but he was scared to land awkwardly because of contact. Mental. He must overcome it. Take your time Gil.

Posted by: G-Man | March 4, 2008 8:52 AM

Chill Gilbert! Take your huge pay-day, the worst that can happen, is that you will be a very expensive cheerleader who can't really help his team for the duration of the contract.

Posted by: Grant Hill | March 4, 2008 9:04 AM

"I played ball everyday at Nottoway Park during the summers until they shut off the lights at 10pm."
Posted by: JSchon | March 3, 2008 08:59 PM
-------------------------------------------
Damn that takes me back. I grew up in Vienna, but haven't been back there in years. Nottoway did have great summer ball games though.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the Gilbert saga is that he should take his time coming back. As a bunch of people have said, being scared after 2 knee surgeries isn't strange. What is strange is that an athlete is willing to be honest about it. I don't like everything that Gilbert says, but that is who he is. I find his honest opinions a lot more refreshing than Lebron's goal to be a global icon/buy my $150 shoe shtick. I don't dislike Lebron, it is his choice to be more concerned with marketing himself instead of speaking his mind, I just think that the NBA would be really boring without both sides.

Posted by: Dude | March 4, 2008 9:32 AM

I dont blame Gilbert! Didnt we just have an entire blog full of questioning this team's medical staff/advice and demanding the team get a whole new staff. If i were Gilbert after being cleared back in the fall, after the 2nd MRI, then injures himself the next day or so (this was after Jason Kidd's advice on him playing too many minutes and all), I wouldnt rush to come back either. Also, as stated, it's not like we're going to the finals with a gimpy Gil and Caron anyway. Let them heal 100%!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:35 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:36 AM

Nottoway Park had 3 courts. Court 1, serious games, I mean dunks, lots of name calling and mamma jokes. Really good ballers. I remember once running into a pick and feeling like I had just concussed myself.

Court 2. (This is where I played 90% of the time) Good games usually played under the rim, although I did dunk there once. Usually played by suburbanites 6'0" and under that didnt like being called names or have their mothers brought into the game.

Court 3. Usually no games play on it. Left for people who had next or where people like DC Man88 would watch.

I remember once Dennis Scott and Grant Hill rolled up in D.Scotts pimped out SUV. They didnt play but they were there for a couple hours talking noise.

Nottoway during the spring, summer and fall... Vienna Community Center or Rec at nights and in the Winter. Lots of great games and players.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2008 9:45 AM

Yeah I was usually on Court 2 also. One thing that I remember was this one older guy who was always on Court 3. He always wore a hoodie and had a huge beard. He kind of looked like the Unabomber and keep to himself. It was really cool watching him do his thing, practicing post up moves and stuff by himself. Good times. Never saw any NBAers there though.

Posted by: Dude | March 4, 2008 9:55 AM

My IQ drops 5 points every time I read the comments on this blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:55 AM

Man, we're going to be fantastic once Gil and Butler make their returns before the playoffs. The bench is much deeper, and most importantly so is the defense. I think we can legitimately hang with the big boys of the East, Cleveland, Detroit and of course Boston. GO WIZ!!!

Posted by: Rick | March 4, 2008 10:00 AM

I dont blame Gilbert! Didnt we just have an entire blog discussion full of remarks questioning this team's medical staff/advice and demanding the team get a whole new staff. If i were Gilbert after being cleared back in the fall, after the 2nd MRI, then reinjures himself the next day or so, requiring 2nd surgery (this was after even Jason Kidd's advice, on an opposing team, noticed him playing too many minutes and all), I wouldnt rush to come back either. Also, as stated, it's not like we're going to the finals with a gimpy Gil and Caron anyway. Let them heal 100%! Not to mention, his future and the fact that he's only 26 and wants to have a career in basketball for years to come.
As stated, it's not like ownership got any help for the rest of the team when we had all these injuries anyway. If they did, there wouldn't be the same pressure on Gilbert (and Caron) to get back as soon, I believe.
Bottom line, Gilbert showed his drive this summer to get back from the first injury for the team but when the owner didn't do anything to help the team why risk your entire NBA future on maybe a first round playoff season. Contract year or not, I wouldn't risk my NBA future for a week or 2, it's not even about the contract/max deals.
Gil - a true wizard fan, and one who remembers this team before you came!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 10:00 AM

JSchon, Back in my college days I went to the Park to play with a guy I knew from the city everybody got named.

I was a white farm boy, so they called me Country Cracker which later got shortened to Cracker or Saltine(for white cracker).

Those were the only names I was called that I can type on a non x rated blog. I never dunked but I did sure did get dunked on ALOT!

I probably looked like Pecherov did the other night against the Bulls more then once cause I wasn't starting anything I couldn't finish there.

I used to get alot of cheap baseline jumpers off of pick and rolls. When you'd do that a few times on the the #1 Court they'd send your ass back to the #2 Court.

That's been a long time ago, but some great basketball, really funny guys too. Back in the 70's there was a guy they called ABE who must have been in his 40's or at least upper 30's that could really play. Seemed like everybody knew him every where you played around DC in those days.

He schooled my white ass more then once, but he used to tell me keep shooting those cheap assed jumpers they count just as much as a dunk and in a few years those other guys will be shooting jumpers too.

Posted by: GM | March 4, 2008 10:24 AM

The talk that Gil is holding out from playing this year to get his big FA payday is ludicrous. The man had TWO knee surgeries in less than a year and wants to make sure he's healthy before playing again. Second, what team besides the Wizards would give him a max or huge contract if he hasn't played in a year? If anything, he has something to prove by coming back for the last 15+ games and hopefully the playoffs. BTW, AJ deserves kudos for the leadership he's providing with Caron and GA out. It's equally important the Wiz resign him in the offseason or it won't matter if GA returns. CB is the Wizards MVP, but AJ provides equal leadership and you can't replace a 20-10 guy like him.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 4, 2008 10:50 AM

Loved this:

"i got two lines into this and need not read any more. "team doctors told him..."

don't believe them gilbert. i'm pretty sure the cleveland cavaliers are paying their salary."

Also, keep up the Haikus. It's the only way to deal with certain things...

Posted by: g diddy | March 4, 2008 10:57 AM

Haikus bring us joy
Less than Gil's much ballyhooed
Parachute did though

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 11:04 AM

Gil vs Nick Young
DC and Kal vs all
Whose got the next game?

Posted by: Haiku | March 4, 2008 11:11 AM

Its funny to me, only Washington would have fans that don't appreciate have two franchise players. You all want to get rid of one. Where do you think Boston will be with out Garnett, Pierce and Allen. Any time would love to Gil and Caron, not one or the other. You all have them both, were is the appreciation. Don't forget Wizards fans Caron has been hurt ever year is has been here, so is he durable? So there is a place for both Gil and Caron on any team. I'm not sure why not the Wizards. You are not going far in the playoff just with Caron that is not going to happen, but maybe with Caron and Gil. Why can't they both be leaders along with Antwain.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 11:12 AM

Team doctor to Gil
"Don't worry the knee is fine,
take this parachute."

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 11:26 AM

There are teams that have multiple players with vast potential/talents (example: Bulls and the Hawks) but come playoff time the all-stars are the ones who'll make or break a team. The Wizards has 3 so that is a huge advantage for them. It's just so hard to gauge this team becuase its been awhile since all 3 were healthy. Maybe if GA and CB can return before playoffs then we can really see if they are a team to reckon with or just a make believe team.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | March 4, 2008 11:28 AM

Come-on guys, Gil is just being honest. You don't expect a player go right back into games right after he was cleared for full practice, not after two knee surgeries. I'd be happy if Gil can join the team on 3/23 and make the western trip. He would have enough games before the playoff.

As for Caron, I am afraid he may be further away. Didn't they say he will be reevaluated in 3 weeks (that was last week). So the best for Caron is still 2 weeks away and may be longer.

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 4, 2008 12:02 PM

I don't blame Arenas either. He needs to come back when he feels he is ready. It is his body and his future he jeopardizes if he comes back too soon again and permanently damages his knees.

No offense to the Wiz medical staff - but I personally wouldn't put my health in their hands...

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 12:36 PM

"I think Gilby will probably regret saying twice that he's "scared." And to think BBall is nowhere near as tough or physical as Football. Sean Taylor, RIP."

when you blast gilbert for being, in this case, refreshingly candid, forthcoming and, yes, interesting -- he's one of the few players in the league that doesn't repeat the same drivel day in and day out (e.g., "i knew somebody had to step up...", "the team really came together and got some stops", "we showed a lot of mental toughness") -- you kill those qualities. so, yeah, i think he'll probably regret it, too.... if bloggers and/or writer trash him for his honesty.

Posted by: popeye jones | March 4, 2008 12:37 PM

Posted by: popeye jones | March 4, 2008 12:37 PM

LOL - That describes EVERY Lebron James interview I've ever seen....

Posted by: Rook | March 4, 2008 12:56 PM

I can respect his honesty...that's what everyone has appreciated about him anyway (real wiz fans). Furthermore, that's what we have all blogged about -- Gil, dont come back until your knee is 100%, even if you have to sit the entire year!..etc etc. Now he's taking our advice. He's not a football player, he's a basketball player whose game needs fully operational knees, 100%.

Posted by: washingtonian | March 4, 2008 1:03 PM

Actually, one of the scary things with microfracture surgery is that there is no pain. There aren't any nerves in there. There's no feedback.

I'm guessing that Gilbert would much rather deal with pain than that sort of uncertainty.

The lack of feedback is why people tend to reinjure themselves by trying to do too much too soon.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 1:11 PM

I believe his microfracture surgery was done on his non-weight bearing bone. Not sure what that means other than it wasnt the most major part of his recent surgery.

Posted by: JSchon | March 4, 2008 1:21 PM

No feedback? So he knows that if he cuts too hard or lands awkwardly or whatever, he can hurt himself again. But his body isn't giving him any signals about how much it's really capable of? That is scary.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 1:24 PM

Healthy this could be a team that no one wants to face come playoff time. My quess is that Eddie would like to have these guys back for the west coast trip so that he'd have about three weeks to weave them into the lineup.

It's going to make the next month interesting to see when Gil and Caron can get back and in what kind of game shape they'll be in.

Posted by: GM | March 4, 2008 1:27 PM

It really is amazing at the length of stupidity that DCMoron will go to regarding Gil.

For the last time - please go back to your Heats board. We all know it is you - Clewiston. Why don't you turn on Pat Riley for putting up that god awful team?

Posted by: Wizzz | March 4, 2008 1:41 PM

Arenas is hardly the first player in the history of sports to express concern when coming off injury, surgery, recovery, and a long layoff. Nothing in what he says qualifies as shocking or controversial.

Posted by: kalorama | March 4, 2008 1:42 PM

I hope the Wiz would win the majority of their home games as GA might rush to play if they lose in the coming games ahead and move to either 7th or 8th spot. 6th spot is the best scenario right now since they will face the Magic and we all know that they are not playoff tested yet.

Posted by: Dave, | March 4, 2008 1:45 PM

There not playoff tested but they do have Superman!

Posted by: GM | March 4, 2008 1:51 PM

My microfracture and cartilage implant were also on the non weight bearing part of the knee. My ACL repair was on the same knee. They all still hurt like a mofo!
I never played ball in Vienna but I've played in Barry Farms, Turkey Thicket, pretty much all over DC. I won the 3 on 3 Hoop it Up tournament in the early 90's when it was on Constitution Ave in DC one year. Of course, it was the level below the top level but still... I'd like to hear where DCMAN88 played his street ball since he's one of our resident experts. Where'd you grow up, 88?

Posted by: mark | March 4, 2008 1:52 PM

Agree GM, we get Gil and Caron back and we are gonna be tough to beat. AD and Darius return to bench and form a solid unit with Blatche and Mason. Bring Nick Young and/or McGuire to add some youth and energy.

Ivan, any updates on Etan? At this point seems to be the only real question mark for the playoffs. Would be nice to have him if Haywood gets in foul trouble, and a physical veteran alternative to Blatche come crunch time.

Thanks

Posted by: Darnell | March 4, 2008 2:03 PM

The smart option is to shut him down till April. Let the current group of guys get us to the playoffs as a 6 seed. Then bring Caron and Gil back for the playoffs. Maybe 2 weeks earlier to get some real game time, bringing both of them off the bench for no more than 20 minutes per game.

Posted by: wisc ave | March 4, 2008 2:08 PM

There not playoff tested but they do have Superman!

Posted by: GM | March 4, 2008 01:51 PM

Then that's an ultimate test for the MIP candidate BTH! Over-all I see that series going to 6 or even 7 games if (and thats a big IF) we get GA and CB around that time and maybe playing 80% of their limit.

Posted by: Dave, | March 4, 2008 2:24 PM

I agree 100% with this response. As a player within the league, he should have never said that he is scared to play. I am sure that his agent was not pleased that he made the statement. Neither the Wizards (his current employer) nor any other team wants a player to admit that they are scared to play. I believe it opens too many other questions as to whether or not the individual will ever be able to play at the level they were playing prior to their injury or if they know that they are still hurt and unable to fully peform. Either way, it was a statement that he should've kept to himself. I really like Gil as a player and hope that he is able to come back and play up to his All Star status, but sometimes saying less truly says more!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 3:28 PM

Posted by: mark | March 4, 2008 01:52 PM

He grew up in Clewiston, FL.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2008 4:06 PM

Man, the level of hate on here for Agent Zero is way too high! Calm down and let the man work his way back! Typical DC a**holes, won't support a good thing until it gets away. DC Man88 is probably sitting in the Wiz's front office typing on a Wiz owned PC making a mockery of this blog!

Posted by: Section 118 | March 4, 2008 4:18 PM

Bow quickly they forget.

The Wizards were a running NBA joke before the current regime stepped in not 5 years ago. Now people are up in arms with Arenas wanting to ease his way back in (to say nothing of signing Jordan's death warrant after every loss) because after 3 years of early exit playoff appearances, a decent draft, and a few nice wins over good teams, everyone is pumped up on predictions of playoff upset from the #6 slot and being "a team no one wants to face in the playoffs."

A little prosperity can really go to peoples' heads. This team is still a work in progress, and some patience will be required to see this thing through.

Posted by: kalorama | March 4, 2008 4:37 PM

Make that, "HOW quickly they forget."

Posted by: kalorama | March 4, 2008 4:38 PM