More Caron, Thursday update

To expand on my earlier post: Caron Butler, who has missed the last 13 and 16 of the last 18 games with a left hip injury, said he will test the hip in practice on Monday and remains cautiously optimistic that if things go well in a series of practices, he'll be able to return to game action at some point.

To be clear: no officially timetable has been established for Butler's return.

Caron on how he plans to procede: "My body is going to send me a message about whether I'm going to be able to play. My body feels great and It's getting better gradually so we'll see how it plays out."

More on that: "I have to get some practices under my belt and see how my body responds to the practices, get some type of basketball rhythm back and see how it all plays out."

Before a second MRI exam revealed that Butler has a slight tear in the left labrum, he said he thought about shutting it down for good this season but the diagnosis soothed his fears. "That gave me closure because now, I know what it is and now we know how to deal with it instead of just putting your heads together and you've got four or five people saying: 'maybe we should do this, but we don't know exactly what treatment to do.' Now, we've got an eye on it and we know exactly what it was and exactly how to approach it."

More on that: "The only reason why I thought about shutting it down was, we didn't know what it was. Once we did more research, we found out what it was and it's not as serious as it once was thought to be."

In retrospect, did you come back too quickly for the Lakers game on Feb. 3 (he aggravated the injury two days later in Philly and hasn't played since): "I think it would have been a great idea to shut it down but once again, we didn't know exactly what it was and I ended up going out there with supposedly a muscle sprain, I mean, I've played with fractures and stuff so I thought I could go out there and play through it and that wasn't the case. Once it kept bothering me, I knew it was more serious that we thought it was. Then we did some more research and found it that it was an actual tear, a slightl tear, but still, it was a tear. But, now I'm feeling better and hopefully that will the case the rest of the year and throughout my career."

On the possibility that the tear was always there: "That is a possibility and then with what happened to me in Milwaukee (on Jan. 27), I aggravated it. That's what we're hoping that I just aggravated it and muscles and things tensed up but now I'm back to normal and I can procede."

Caron said that if the hip continues to be a problem, surgery would be a last option but he clearly would like to avoid that at all costs. "That will be the very last option. I'd have to play and get pulled out again, play and get pulled out again and play with pain and use all types resources before I'm like OK, 'you can cut me a little bit.' No, that's not an option. I think I'm going to be fine, honestly."

Other news and notes: Gilbert Arenas practiced again today and was moving pretty well on his left knee. Again, we only see limited action at the end of practice so I can't tell you too much about what he is doing. He went through a full practice for the first time on Tuesday and said he felt fine yesterday so that's a positive sign.

Coach Eddie Jordan talked a little bit about it after practice. "He looked OK. I thought he looked better two practices ago but we did some things that were new to him, some defensive schemes that I wanted him to touch on and get a feel for so that sort of screws you up, when you think and try to do your work (Eddie said this while cracking on Chick Hernandez of Comcast)....We want him to get into a muscle memory habit with our defensive schemes, our pick-and-roll (reads) and those kinds of things so, he was out there thinking and moving and wasn't as instinctive as he was in his first practice."

Oh, and since there is a lot of speculation going around about Gilbert's future, let me save everyone time and energy: Gilbert Arenas will be a Wizard next season. It's simple really. As has been laid out over and over gain: He wants a max contract and the Wiz can give him one more year and more money that any other team. Also, the only teams that might have money to spend are going to be bad teams and as Gilbert told me once: "I ain't going to no bottom feeding team."

By Ivan Carter |  March 6, 2008; 1:13 PM ET
Previous: Butler to practice next week | Next: Wizards at Raptors

Comments

I can't wait to see our big 3 on the court in the same time. Ivan, any news of Etan?

Posted by: fire starter | March 6, 2008 2:12 PM

Ivan, you seem sure about Gilbert being a Wizrd next season. Can't be more definitive than you wrote in your latest post. What about Antawn? We know Abe loves him, that he is a leader in the locker room and on the court, and that he likes the Wizards organization. But he certainly does not deserve the money he is making this year in his next contract, given his age. Do you think Ernie and his agent will be able to come to a satisfactory resolution?

Posted by: Rockville | March 6, 2008 2:28 PM

Jamison isn't going anywhere either. Just as with Arenas, no other team is going to have the cap space to pay him what the wizards can. And that doesn't mean paying him $16 mill like he's making this season. His salary next season is likely going to be in the $8-10 mill range, and there will only be a couple of teams that'll even be able to come close to having that kind of FA money, and the only one that'll be any good is the Spurs, and Jamison's not really a good fit for them.

Posted by: kalorama | March 6, 2008 3:00 PM

That last paragraph made me soooooooo happy. Him and Caron playing for many years to come. I'm ear to ear right now!!!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 6, 2008 3:01 PM

Fingers are crossed in Wizards Nation as Kornheiser is just itching to write another Curse O' Les Boulez article.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | March 6, 2008 3:12 PM

Let's just hope it all works out. I have my fingers crossed. Otherwise, Curse Les Boulez gives us two former all-stars who are hobbled the rest of their careers with very large contracts.

Ivan, why is it some foregone conclusion the Wiz should or definitely will give him a max contract? I mean GA's a nice player, but he has never really won anything and he's coming off two major knee surgeries. Seems extremely risky to me at best.

Posted by: Rob P | March 6, 2008 3:15 PM

Great blog entry, Ivan. This should be required reason for anyone who tries to speak authoritatively about the Wiz (Mike and Tony, I'm looking in your direction).

Posted by: Ben (DC) | March 6, 2008 3:20 PM

Quote me on this, if the wizards pay Gilby the max, they will regret it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 3:31 PM

Who CARES What the Hell 88 thinks? Answer: NO ONE!

Posted by: ? | March 6, 2008 3:33 PM

Great to hear the news! Cant wait to see Gilbert, and the Big 3, play healthy. -

Posted by: washingtonian | March 6, 2008 3:35 PM

Quote me on this, if the Wizards pay Gilby the max, DCMan will regret it.

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | March 6, 2008 3:47 PM

No they won't regret it because if it was ALL about the money, he wouldn't care where he would end up, hence, the bottom feeder reference. I've never read so many negative comments. Don't tell me you weren't ecstatic last January against the Jazz and the Bucks, and the Sonics. You know what he does suck and he'll never learn anything. He won't mature.

Get over the hate because you sound...well, you know.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 6, 2008 3:51 PM

why would the wizards regret signing gil? Is there a more entertaining player to watch? Does he not play / train hard? Does he set a bad example? Does he not try to win? Is he not involved enough in the community? He has been an All NBA player 2 years in a row (won't get it this year for obvious reasons). Will he lead us to an NBA championship..who knows, but has KG? Steve Nash? Carl Malone? John Starks? Patrick Ewing? Where those guys not max players? Winning an NBA championship is extremely hard, but the guy wins games, is fun to watch, makes Wizard basketball nationally important and is young. There is no reason (unless you think he will never be healthy) to not sign him to a max contract

All I want is for 15 healthy games from Gil and Caron and then getting to see what this team is made of in the playoffs....LETS GO WIZ

Posted by: Ben | March 6, 2008 3:58 PM

and i meant to write John Stockton not John Starks..sorry

Posted by: Ben | March 6, 2008 4:04 PM

I will finally concede, I think you guys are right, and we should sign Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 4:16 PM

Since Gil came to town, there's Wiz talk at the water cooler. He's an exciting young guy--both on the court and off. He's also proved that he is seriously dedicated to improving himself each and every year. I don't know that there's another player in the NBA I'd take over Gil in terms of talent and entertainment. The NBA is above all else, entertainment, and that makes him a max player.

That said, I hope he doesn't break the bank and leave strapped for the next 6 years.

Posted by: Lou | March 6, 2008 4:18 PM

Ivan,

Has anyone in the organization sat Caron down and told him to look at Gilbert and the problems he's had with his knee and relate them with his hip?

Just because he apparently does not need surgery doesn't mean it isn't serious.

I have a feeling we'll be adding Caron Bulter to the long list of players who careers were never the same after getting injured in Washington.

Totally dumb, it's not like the Wiz are going to win a title this year anyway.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 6, 2008 4:23 PM

Just to defend my "protecting his future" comment in the previous post--

If I could sign a contract tomorrow guaranteeing my job/salary for the next 6 years, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Whether or not Gil's made enough money already is irrelevant. The economics are the same whether he makes 20k a year or 12 mil a year. Opt out and have a six year guarantee or stay as you are for the next year and gamble that your value doesn't drop or your career doesn't end in the next year. Taking that chance is financially irresponsible.

Posted by: Lou | March 6, 2008 4:26 PM

Posted by: NoVa | March 6, 2008 4:34 PM

seems like the Wiz have a similarly educated training staff to the Skins. Caron should have been sent to a specialist and that "slight tear" could have been dealt with. Seems like we were more interested in getting him on the floor and winning games. That game last night was a joke. With Caron & Gil out there and the Wiz at full strength, Orlando takes an L or has to put major work in to get a win.

Posted by: G$ | March 6, 2008 4:35 PM

GA and Caron will hopefully be back for the last 15 games and possibly the playoffs, but lets take a reality check. Long-term, they are only 2 pieces of the puzzle (3 if we resign AJ)needed to complete with the elite teams like Detroit and Boston. EG is going to need to find a much stronger presence in the middle than Haywood, who's having a good season, but would be a backup on better teams. We may need to look into trading one or more of our talented young players (Blatche, Young, Pecherov) + draft picks to get that type of player. Currently, we don't even match up well against Cleveland or Orlando with GA and CB back healthy. Let's just hope and pray that GA and CB don't rush back too soon as there futures are too important to the franchise.....Ivan, thanks for the hands on daily reporting updates which make me feel a little better when I read them!!

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 6, 2008 4:54 PM

Caron shouldn't have used the phrase, "shutting it down." When Jerry Stackhouse used that phrase in frustration one night, some of the "brightest" Wizards fans in town turned on him (even though Stackhouse never shut it down and played the rest of the season).

You can expect Caron to be booed at home games now by some of those same geniuses for being selfish and a cancer. (The same geniuses who claim Gilbert is only thinking about his next contract when, oh my god, he says that he wants to be fully healed before he returns to the court this time.)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 6, 2008 5:01 PM

well i don't want to keep gilbert!!! i want to trade him for a big man. we r just going to make the playoff and fell short again if we continue to be the same team like this! we need to break it up

Posted by: ak47 | March 6, 2008 5:02 PM

what big man would you trade for? they dont grow on trees. Put together a trade where we give up Gil and get better, would love to see it?

Posted by: Ben | March 6, 2008 5:13 PM

"Third, never thought I would see the day DCMan would defend GA. Hilarious! By the way, that was not intended to be a back slap against GA. Rather a picture of what frugal Abe is dealing with financially with this franchise. Fact - He's paid GA the last two years and gotten next to nothing in return. Sounds like a situation where a person with integrity would take that into consideration when negotiating their next max contract! We'll see!

Posted by: Rob P | March 6, 2008 11:50 AM"

Rob, don't believe the hype. That wasn't me who made those comments about Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 5:13 PM

"Quote me on this, if the wizards pay Gilby the max, they will regret it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 03:31 PM

Who CARES What the Hell 88 thinks? Answer: NO ONE!

Posted by: ? | March 6, 2008 03:33 PM

Posted by: washingtonian | March 6, 2008 03:35 PM

Quote me on this, if the Wizards pay Gilby the max, DCMan will regret it.

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | March 6, 2008 03:47 PM "

It's so funny how someone misses me badly.

I wasn't near a computer all morning and afternoon, and someone decides to make posts on my behalf and then responds to themselves.

Gotta luv it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 5:17 PM

""Truthfully, I don't think I'm going to make it back before Caron," Arenas said. "It's not, 'Hey, my knee feels good so I'm going to go out and play tomorrow.' It's not going to be one of those deals.""

------------------------------------------

One can easily see why Gilby doesn't want to return until after Caron returns. That would mean there would be less pressure on Gilby to shoulder the load and prove that he can do something with this team if he came back before Caron.

The way it sounds right now, Gilby is in better shape than Caron. Caron has already proven that he can carry this team without Gilby. I doubt if Gilby can do the same (reference 2nd half last season).

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 5:20 PM

"Can someone explain what "Curse O' Les Boulez" is? I know Tony K coined it to refer to the bad luck, but why did he choose Les Boulez?

Posted by: NoVa | March 6, 2008 04:34 PM "

Probably because it's a play on the name Washington "Bullets" in how they are and were a fake ass/bottom feeder/joke franchise trying to pretend that they are serious in trying to win a championship.

In parallel, it's the same reason why people refer to "Target" as "Tarjay." Giving it a french name makes it seem more upscale when it's really not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 5:25 PM

"Ben--this is so true..."the guy wins games, is fun to watch, makes Wizard basketball nationally important and is young."

Posted by: Lou | March 6, 2008 04:18 PM "

Really?

Like how Gilby said last season that EJ asking him to play D was taking away from his offensive game?

Like how Gilby said last season that he doesn't like Princeton and prefers helter skelter?

Like how Gilby said he won't be like AI and KG who hurt their franchise b/c they can't sign any free agents to help their team because of their max contract, and then turn around and do the same thing?

Water cooler talk is great if you have nothing to do at work, but for me, I prefer some playoff success and championship aspirations, and Les BouleS with Gilby have had none of that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 5:31 PM

I love how the dbags of the WaPo blogosphere come on here proclaiming the Wiz shouldn't re-sign Arenas. You were the same people who called him the best player in the NBA less than 12 months ago.

FACT: DC sports fans have the shortest memories of any fans of any team on earth.

Posted by: Barno | March 6, 2008 6:17 PM

The Curse of Les Boulez...

You have to think in terms of Kornheiser's frame of reference as a local sports (and humor writer) before he glammed out and went national :-)

So going back to the mid 80s... Until which time the Bullets were a recent former NBA Champion and perennial playoff team (Moses and Jeff Malone)... with a last gasp effort in 1987 led by the unbelievably wonderful Bernard King (EG's Tennessee teammate) who got us there on one good leg.

The premature demise of Jeff Ruland and the trading away of Rick Mahorn... coulda shudda been the Bad Boys right here in DC

The draft of John Williams from LSU, who was potentially a bigtime killer at the 3/4... until he ate himself out of the NBA

A string of subsequent lottery picks who were so bad they did not have to eat themselves into oblivion... they were oblivious in the first place

Manute Bol and Mugsy Bogues.

The ill-fated trades of the Unseld years:

Kevin Duckworth (another eating disorder)

Isaac Austin (from Orlando for Ben Wallace who had been discovered by sheer luck)

The 40% of the Fab Five solution... shooting the load on Webber and Howard and then giving up on Webber over a little youthful misbehaving... for Mitch Richmond (gack)

Letting Georghe Muresan make "My Giant"

Having the good sense to draft Rasheed Wallace and the bad sense to trade him for Rod "Little Poison" Strickland (a sweet but sullen point guard who seems to have finally figured out that this was not a rehearsal... as a 40 year-old student assistant for the Memphis Tigers)

Rip Hamilton (for Jerry Stackhouse? Words fail me.)

MJ

The last four years have been heaven by comparison... except for the injuries...and that is why it is said the Curse of Les Boulez lives on.

Posted by: khrabb | March 6, 2008 6:40 PM

DC Man88 how long have you paid attention to Gilbert. Are you really going to take everything he says literally, and hold a few quotes against him? I thought you were about winning, not quotes, who cares what he says. And why is this team not a championship team, they have been hurt in the playoffs. 2 years ago they got to the second round. How can you honestly hold what they did this year against them? And even then they battled the eventual Eastern Conference champs, and were in every game in the 4th quarter and just did not have a closer, you know a Gilbert Arenas for example. This is a really talented team, and nobody can evaluate them until you see them healthy in the post season.

Posted by: Ben | March 6, 2008 7:04 PM

Ben, you have to learn to ignore idiot man 88. He is insanely jealous of Gil and never ceases to mention it. I never even read his posts anymore....see his name and just skip over it....it's always the same old crap.

Advise everyone else to skip his posts as well.

Posted by: ? | March 6, 2008 7:57 PM

Getting back to the discussion about "Les BouleZ" and Gilby, everyone should read the sports page today, E02 (3/6/08). Inside you will find how Kornheiser implies that Les BouleS should have traded Gilby a long time ago, how Gilby is a flake, and how management has a hard time dealing with him. It makes for good reading.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 8:18 PM

And let's define "Max Contract".

A Maximum contract for Gilbert Arenas is NOT the same as for:
KG ($23.7 Million)
Iverson ($20.1 Million
Kobe ($19.5 Million)
Shaq ($21 Million)
Tim Duncan ($19 Million)

Arenas will be elligible to get the 7-Year Veteran Maximum Salary of $15.6 Million for the first year, with 12.5% increases each year of the contract. So he would be more in line with guys like Paul Pierce,

Posted by: Rook | March 6, 2008 9:32 PM

"A $15.6 Million Contract will not strap the Wizards organization like KG's did Minnesota.

Posted by: Rook | March 6, 2008 09:32 PM "

I think you should go tell Gilby since he was the one who compared himself to KG and AI.

Regardless, he doesn't deserve that amount whether he gets it or doesn't.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 9:46 PM

Oh, by the way, anybody who reads Kornheiser's snippet today will also notice that he blasted Gilby and said Gilby should be more like DWade and show some gratitude to his organization like DWade does.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 9:59 PM

Kornheiser still writes for the Post? I did not know that.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 6, 2008 10:10 PM

He either writes snippets for the post, or they put in print discussions that he has with wilbon off espn.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 10:11 PM

If DCMan gives his opinion, it's his opinion.
He's allowed to not be in the tank for GA. I see a lot more personal attacks on him than what he is given out lately. Relax!

I like GA a lot. But even during his heyday and game winning shots, I was not happy about his defense and overall leadership. And the constant promotion of himself started to grate on me as well! I mean MJ never promoted himself like GA bc it all came to him with his play and championship pedigree. Let's be real, GA has accomplished nothing thus far in his career.

It's extremely risky to sign him to a huge contract!

I've been having Bernard King flashbacks!

Posted by: Rob P | March 6, 2008 10:36 PM

Rob P, you are the voice of reason on this blog.

I'm glad you noticed all the venom aimed at me whenever I comment on Gilby, and how I most of the time don't bother to reply.

BTW, people here keep harping on the fact that I point out the negatives about Gilby, but not the positives.

Ok, so you want me to give even coverage about Gilby to include the fact that he didn't shoot, kill, or maim anyone today? That he didn't beat his kids? Or, that he ate his breakfast and drank his juice like a good guy? How about the fact that he showed up for practice, yes, practice?

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 10:47 PM

Yeah well I try! Seems you can't criticize GA or EJ or anything about this perennial losing franchise historically. It cracks me up.

If we sign GA to a max contract, the franchise is back to nothing with it's hands tied I'm afraid. I also have a sickening feeling that CB might be facing a career threatening or altering injury. This sucks! I also think CB is more important to a possible championship caliber team bc of the toughness and leadership he provides, which GA does not!

Posted by: Rob P | March 6, 2008 11:04 PM

Here's a funny quote.

I was reading a story from "that other paper," and in it was Les BouleS coverage where they quote EG's intention on resigning both Gilby and AJ this offseason.

Based on his quotes, I was actually convinced for a moment that it would probably happen, until I read a quote that pretty much threw EG's credibility out the window, when he told a bald faced lie about his boss!!!

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------

"We've shown we can generate some excitement when we have our whole group healthy and Gilbert, Antawn and Caron [Butler] on the floor," Grunfeld said. "[Wizards owner] Mr. [Abe] Polin has been very generous, and we'll do what we need to do to keep our players."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 6, 2008 11:11 PM

We need to talk to Tim Legler and get him to give the wiz some time on espn. People listen to that man. We need to tell ern dont overpay for gil, but give him what he's earned. He made himself here and he deserves some dough, but everyone knows you cant max out on a guy coming off 2 knee surgeries. Our team is good and our bench is looking real deep. Time will show... Let Antawn keep doing it by resigning, lets wait til Caron comes back and gets in form, and lets watch CB3, Tawn, and Gil gain some momentum going into the playoffs. Wiz v magic 1st round.

Posted by: Tony Troese | March 6, 2008 11:32 PM

DCMan, I see where people are critical of Abe, but I am not big on doing so. He does what can within his means. He is a not a billionaire ala Cuban and he built the phone booth without asking taxpayers to pay for his arena for the privilege to have his team play there. So, we'll see what happens. I think EG is going to hitch his job to GA being able to become the player he was or even to improve upon the player he was in order to win a championship. I think the chances of that happening in light of his injury is very slight. I don't like it at all.

I do find it funny that EG uses the word "exciting" team, when the big three are healthy. Sorry. I don't want an exciting team. I want a championship caliber team!!!! Wiz/Bullets fans must be so conditioned to being bad that being "exciting" is enough. Great...I'm so "excited"!

Posted by: Rob P | March 6, 2008 11:44 PM

Tony, right. We are stupid to max out a player coming off of two knee injuries. Especially one that will not have many options either. Plus, he has talked about "discounts" and we have paid him two years for nothing. Part of his reinjury was HIS fault too. I'm not happy about this situation at all! I'm starting to view GA as a very entertaining BS artist. Who cares how candid you are if your not truthful in what you say???? BS!

And stop with the fantasy the both CB and GA will come back this year and we will be a tough out in the playoffs. If and when either or both come back, I see neither being the same player the rest of the season. Therefore, we are out in the first round no matter what seed we end up with. I'm not entirely convinced we are going to make the playoffs. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Posted by: Rob P | March 6, 2008 11:57 PM

@: g$

just so you know caron got two MRIs done on his hip. A torn labrum will not necessarily show up on a scan, the second MRI likely included a dye injection to articulate a specific area of detail allowing the experts to see it.

Now, while not uncommon, it isn't standard practice to start there, and if a scan appears clear or maybe is muddied by an actual muscle strain the doctors can't really be blamed. It isn't a perfect science, but there are some very gifted experts in this area.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 2:33 AM

I think all this worry about max contracts for gil is a bit premature. he will work that out with the organization.

I would say, I do agree that this isn't really about 2mil more next year. It is about getting to a longer term deal.

This isn't really a matter of greed. It is business. This is how the NBA works. They gave him an opt out and it makes sense for him to take it.

Posted by: g | March 7, 2008 2:35 AM

I'm more with Rob P and 88 on this, but not quite as extreme. Gil's retension is important for the team, but he has to prove he can commit to the team philosophy. It's a real risk, but on the whole I'd say you have to take the chance and re-sign him if you can.

That said, I, too, worry about those quotes, which are not merely words but accurate descriptions of how Gil played all last season. The same things that got Gil tossed from the USA squad a few summers ago are the same things he brings to the Wizards every day. Gil's a lot of drama, and he prefers a close game where he can take that final shot. But we don't have to play every game to come down to the last shot, do we? Scoring 20 per game and doing everything else would be more important than scoring 30 and doing the absolute minimum on D. He's an adrenaline addict who needs to be needed. A necessary element in that drama is a team that "can't do it without him," who clearly are expected to defer to him so he can play that role. The real question is, When he does re-sign with the Wizards, will he grow up enough to be a part of a team and not just a walking, running, shooting neurosis.

Maybe all this nervousness is just pre-wedding jitters.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | March 7, 2008 6:04 AM

" MJ never promoted himself like GA bc it all came to him with his play and championship pedigree. "

Rob P, did you miss out on the first 5 or 6 years of Jordan's career? He promoted himself more than any other athlete in the history of sports. Of course, the league promoted him as well but it's not like he was turning down endorsements.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 7:14 AM

Posted by: DC Fan | March 7, 2008 9:26 AM

DC Fan has it right re: Gilby. He's young (26), always working on improving his game, and has a great work ethic. Granted he needs to improve his defense and shot selection, but now he's got another "go to guy" at the end of the game in CB that he didn't have before. In the long run, his missing most of the season helped in the maturation of CB and forced the Wiz to play defense better (at least most nights.) We now have a deeper bench whether it's for the playoffs or next year. We'll have AD, Blatche, Mason, Songaila, and the 3 rookies (not to mention the Poet if he returns.) Long-term healthy returns of GA and CB are the key plus resigning AJ who's veteran leadership/desire to win are essential to this team. Team also needs to keep Mason who proved he's a stong combo guard off the bench with a good scoring touch.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 7, 2008 9:51 AM

There's a team in this league that has a guy with a rep for being a one dimensional scorer who never met a shot and doesnt play any defense. When he first came into the league he was used primarily as a defensive player but realized that scoring is where the money is, so he changed teams to pursue the big contract. This guy is getting paid superstar money but he'll never be a real star because though he has surrounding talent (although his supporting star has been hurt often) he can't carry his team beyond the second round. He's way too overyhyped and has missed a bunch of games due to injury over the last couple years. Sound familiar?
I'm talking about the Rockets and TMac. They are kicking arse these days and for now at least, the heat is off TMac. Has his game changed? Probably not. All it takes is solid team defense and a string of wins and all of the critics will shut up. I'm hoping that we step it up on D and win some games with GA so that all of this talk about whether he deserves a max contract goes away. Hopefully winning makes this point moot.

Posted by: mark | March 7, 2008 10:06 AM

Those comments I posted are not my opinion of GA, btw. These are things that I've read on this blog and elsewhere repeatedly about TMac and GA.

Posted by: mark | March 7, 2008 10:09 AM

"I ain't going to no bottom feeding team."

Unless, the bottom feeding team can get a couple of stars coming at the same time (a la Botson). :)

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 7, 2008 10:32 AM

Do you give him a max deal if he comes back and shows improvement in all facets of the game? Even if we tank all the games before he comes back, all the meaningless games can be used to grade his improvement. Only then should we give him a max deal. But at the same time, hes gonna be so rusty and hard to judge. I say take a shot on him because he helped make this pathetic franchise into "something" again.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 10:39 AM

"Obviously most of these "positive" points are mundane and can't compare to the idiotic controversy (described as negative) that follows Gilby which he's 100% responsible for drumming up."

And most of those "negatives" are equally mundane and don't compare to the simple fact that the team is better with him than without him.

Posted by: kalorama | March 7, 2008 11:19 AM

The Wiz need CB to come back, healthy. He should be able to work into reasonable game shape.
If Gil is willing and able to rejoin the Wiz, he's probably good for 10 to 15 high energy minutes per game.
Then there's the "poet". I'm sure we're all glad that he has recovered and is cleared to play. That said, I predict a Calvin Booth role, rotating inacive with DM and OP, and perhaps contributing 6 fouls against certain teams. Once he has proven healthy, the Wiz would be best served if he retired.

Posted by: lrmc623 | March 7, 2008 11:39 AM

I have to admit I'm one of his critic at the beginning of the season but he has been very solid the whole year and I believe he's our answer for our lack of outside shooters and should be an instant offense on the bench.

Posted by: Dave | March 7, 2008 11:40 AM

"Question is, if they ever sign Gilbert to the max contract, will they have enough money to sign Mason also?"

Depends on (A) what the exact amount of Arenas' deal is (B) how much they re-sign Jamison for and (C) what it'll take to re-sign Mason.

Arenas's salary will go up and (presumably) Jamison's will go down (from his current $16 mill). Depending on what the relative rise and fall is, they may have some wiggle room under the luxury tax to keep Mason.

Posted by: kalorama | March 7, 2008 12:01 PM

"Once he has proven healthy, the Wiz would be best served if he retired."

If he's healthy, what reason would he have to retire?

Posted by: kalorama | March 7, 2008 12:02 PM

You forget to mention Charles Barkley.

Posted by: browneri | March 7, 2008 12:32 PM

"Washington fans are some of the worst man. Gilbert is young. Don't think that I'm comparing the two, but at 26 what were they saying about Jordan. Scorer, no defense, selfish, show off, not a leader. He grew into the player that he became. You can't knock Gilbert's desire to get better or his work ethic. Let's see how he responds to the new team dynamic. We don't need him to score 30 every night, just be another piece and fit in. Of course there will be times where he takes over but Butler's emergence makes not only Gil but the whole team more dangerous.

Posted by: DC Fan | March 7, 2008 09:26 AM "

Gilby may be 26, but he's an old 26.

He's already had a pulled abdominal muscle, a dislocated clavicle, and has had 2 knee surgeries.

Gilby plays a position that relies on quickness. He's also a one dimensional scorer. When he loses his wheels, what is he going to fall back on?

Also, it's foolish to compare Gilby to MJ. MJ was a focused, no nonsense, on the court leader. He wasn't a quirky goofball prone to hissy fits, self promotion, and diarrhea of the mouth.

MJ didn't badmouth peers off the court, he embarrassed them on the court. People feared MJ. People laugh at Gilby because he's a clown.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 12:56 PM

Kalorama,
I didn't write that the poet, if healthy, would retire, or that it would be in his best interest to retire. I wrote that it would be in the best interest of the Wiz if he did.
He's had one injury free season 2002-3 in which he played 1901 minutes. The next greatest total is 1246. His career averages are 6.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg. While he is probably worth the veteran minimum, perhaps 1/2 the mid level exemption, he's not worth what he's paid. There will be cap problems next year and the money could be better spent on AJ or RM, an probably GA, if forced. The poet is a money sink, perhaps Ernie's biggest mistake.

Posted by: lrmc623 | March 7, 2008 1:21 PM

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 1:28 PM

But he said it in his "own" way when he didn't live up to the hype of being a #1 pick. I'm pretty sure he had an affair also. Plus he was on more commercials than Peyton Manning. He won though, so thats the Main and all important difference I suppose.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 1:30 PM

DC man has taught us all the meaning of 'diarrhea of the mouth'...

Hello pot, I'd like introduce you to my friend kettle.

Stop being so mundane.

Posted by: dc clam | March 7, 2008 1:52 PM

"I wrote that it would be in the best interest of the Wiz if he did."

But he's not going to retire just to make Wizards fans happy. There has to be a reason for him to do it. And if he (as you stated) proves himself to be healthy then there'd be no good reason for him to retire.

Posted by: kalorama | March 7, 2008 1:54 PM

"MJ called Kwame Brown a Fa**ot. Arenas can also shoot jump shots if he explosion is gone. 95% of the posts on here are forgetful.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 01:28 PM "

Uh, are you trying to compare badmouthing an opponent and giving them an incentive to beat you with trash talking in a gym during practice with your teammates? If so, you are dumb.

Also, pray tell how Gilby is going to get shots off if he doesn't have the quickness to maneuver and get his shot off. Do you think he'll just turn into a John Paxson or Steve Kerr? That would be a total waste of max money.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 2:03 PM

"DC man has taught us all the meaning of 'diarrhea of the mouth'...

Hello pot, I'd like introduce you to my friend kettle.

Stop being so mundane.

Posted by: dc clam | March 7, 2008 01:52 PM "

Funny, it's the egg before the chicken.

If you tell Gilby to stop giving me so much easy ammo, then I'd have nothing to comment about.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 2:04 PM

DC Mann88,

MJ basically said in not so many words that Brown was a, you know what. This was due to his play in games and life in general. I'm trying to point out the fact that you don't have to be a stellar human being to be a champion. BTW, You're dumb

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 2:21 PM

MJ was pissed at Kwame for sucking a$$.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 2:24 PM

Sorry for trying to refute your comment. I'm just gonna stick to optimistic thinking and not arguing. Thats not why I spend my time writing anecdotes on this blog. GO WIZ KIDS!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 2:26 PM

I'm staying, but can we trade DC Man88 to Memphis?

Posted by: Gilby | March 7, 2008 4:16 PM

"DC Mann88,

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 7, 2008 02:21 PM "

Who cares if you're saying MJ is not a stellar human being? Did I say he was?

All I said was he wasn't stupid enough to open his mouth and give the opposition more incentive to beat his team.

You're just plain dumb and dumber.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 4:43 PM

"I'm staying, but can we trade DC Man88 to Memphis?

Posted by: Gilby | March 7, 2008 04:16 PM "

It's funny how Gilby wants to get rid of people that exposes him for the fraud that he is. That would be Laura, his mother, and me. List will continue to grow.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 4:44 PM

Ivan, I'm interested as to your change of heart on this. You haven't stated anything like this before. Normally you say something along the lines of "it's impossible to know what Gil's thinking on any subject." Has something changed?

As to whether Gil should be resigned to a max deal: his return from the injury and playoff performance, I would think, would have a tremendous amount to do with it.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 7, 2008 5:08 PM

Challenge to DC Man88:

One week. Just one single solitary week of no Gilbert posts. Prove us wrong...

Posted by: jones-y | March 7, 2008 5:10 PM

As stated, I'm a washingtonian, born-raised, and I'm a gung ho Gilbert/Wizard fan. Actually, used to be redskins, but now wizards (because of Gil).
I have gone to playoff games with Gilbert, and even though it was the Cleveland game where they lost, it could have gone either way and it was exciting and fun. I remember how we never ever made the playoffs, until Gilbert came.

Posted by: wahingtonian | March 7, 2008 6:52 PM

correction: playoff games with Gilbert playing....

Posted by: washingtonian | March 7, 2008 6:54 PM

I'm so happy. Now I have a reason to live. I can post anti-Gil for six more years. I mean I don't even like the Wizards, I just have a sick love hate relationship for Gil and spend every waking minute scanning everything ever written for ammo to blast him, and maybe one day he'll return the favor and blast me in the eye with his chocolate love stick. If he left I'd have to be L.A.Clipfag88 or whatever team he played for since I can't live without him. Oh Happy Day, I've got a semi just thinking about it. Let the haters rejoice.

Posted by: DCHater88 | March 7, 2008 7:32 PM

"Challenge to DC Man88:

One week. Just one single solitary week of no Gilbert posts. Prove us wrong...

Posted by: jones-y | March 7, 2008 05:10 PM "

Please, save your breath. There's no substance to your challenge.

If you want no honest Gilby comments for one week, you either stick a stock in his mouth, or send him to Siberia for a week.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 9:17 PM