'Sheed Was [Expletive] Mad, But Kept His [Expletive] Cool Afterward

You may have missed out on the Return of Gilbert yesterday at Verizon Center, but at least there was the Tantrum of Rasheed.

In case you missed it: Early in the fourth quarter of the Washington Wizards' 95-83 win last night, Detroit Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace started roughhousing Andray Blatche. He tossed Blatche aside, and then Blatche threw an elbow to Wallace's back, picking up a personal foul. Wallace responded with a sharp right elbow to Blatche, then shoved Blatche to the ground again for good measure.

Referee Mark Ayotte accessed Wallace with a technical foul - and although a loudmouth Pistons fan in front of me made a lame joke that Rasheed never gets called for those, it was his 11th of the season. Wallace is tied with Baron Davis for second in the league in techs (Kobe Bryant is the league leader with 13) and is five short of the 16 needed for an automatic one-game suspension.

After leading the league with 21 technical fouls last season, Wallace is on pace to have his fewest technicals in the past five years (11, in 2002-03) and nowhere close to reaching his NBA record of 40, set in 2000-01.

This is some [bad word]! (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

But after Ayotte whistled, him, Wallace groaned, tossed his hands in the air, leaned back and stormed down the court, waving his hands and shaking his head. Then, Wallace pleaded his case to Ayotte no avail, and walked away shouting, "That's [a bad word]!"

Wallace was bit frustrated all night, as he missed his first four shots, picked up three quick fouls in the first half - including a foul while setting a pick - and was out of rhythm the rest of the game. He finished with just 11 points (on 3-of-12 shooting).

After the game, Wallace brilliantly used foul language to blast the officials without ever raising his voice or looking upset. It was almost like listening to CBS Sunday Morning's Charles Osgood calmly reading 50 Cent lyrics. Not quite. But almost.

Wallace was asked how the early fouls the officials called on him had any effected on his play. Wallace shook his head and said, "I'm used to that [bad word], them calling that [bad word]. I'm used to it now."

What the [very bad word]? How is this not a [very, very bad word] flagrant? (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Asked to explain the reason for the technical: "[Ayotte] gave me a tech saying I shucked him. I know that was some [bad word]. Same thing with [Referee] Marc [Davis]. How in the hell I set a pick - a legal pick on the side of guy - and it's a [very bad word] foul? It's not like I ran into it or ran him over, I walked into a pick. Y'all tell me how horrible these [very, very bad word] are."

Shortly after the technical, Brendan Haywood added to Wallace's frustrations when he clobbered his fellow North Carolina alum with a hard foul. Wallace thought there was a double standard. "No, that wasn't no technical. [Haywood] didn't go for the ball. He just straight wrapped me up, and [bad word]. He fouled me two or three times before they even called it."

When a reporter told Wallace that he was surprised that Wallace didn't react to the foul, Wallace shrugged. "I didn't say nothing," Wallace said.

Nah, Rasheed, you said enough.

By Michael Lee |  March 24, 2008; 12:41 PM ET
Previous: Arenas update | Next: Monday update

Comments

Hilarious! I saw it all last night.

The funniest thing was that there were 3 UNC alums between the teams, and the alums on Les BouleS kept up the pressure on Rasheed b/c they probably know him well enough to know how to push his buttons without Rasheed responding. They didn't back down from him.

Rasheed always channels his anger towards the refs, but surprisingly, not at opposing players. He's a player who looks like he's about to lose it and go off the deep end every time he gets fouled, but he's never pulled a Ron Artest.

Jerry Stackhouse, that's a different story. Go ask Jeff Hornacek. Ginobli might become the next Hornacek.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 24, 2008 1:00 PM

lol

Mike made a funnee

heehee

Posted by: Zonker | March 24, 2008 1:03 PM

I'm not sure what's a more appropriate comment:

"The ball don't lie."

OR

"It was a good game, both teams played hard."

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | March 24, 2008 1:35 PM

AB he tosses around, but Brendan... Sheed must have heard BH knocked another player (on his own team) down a couple of times.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 1:36 PM

One that tech, I agree with Rasheed. I don't think that's worthy of a technical foul. And yes Haywood did manhandle him (appropriately).

Posted by: Bart | March 24, 2008 1:51 PM

ha, good point anon.

The Thomas-Haywood rumbles finally pay off!

Posted by: amalg | March 24, 2008 1:56 PM

It was just not that good an officiated game for both sides - see the Rip "blocked shot" on Jamison's elbow and others for reference. The altercation w/ Blatche and Sheed was overdue, Sheed had done something similar to Blatche earlier in the game but no calls. Refs should have just called a double tech to even things out and make sure the players know the next one out of line will get tossed.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 2:27 PM

That photo is amazing. It looks like Brenda, ok ok BrendaN, is going to town on Sheed's hip.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 2:30 PM

Both teams played hard.

Posted by: MDBaller1 | March 24, 2008 2:34 PM

For the rest of my life, whenever I see Rasheed, I'll think of that urinal he has in his master bathroom that he so proudly displayed on MTV Cribs.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 3:44 PM

I like the way Haywood stepped up and put a man-sized foul on Sheed for trying to bully Blatche. Now that's old school.

btw, Where did Gilbert get that jacket he was wearing? Looked like he mugged a hotel bellboy for it. AD needs to introduce him to his tailor. I love the GA's game, but his taste in clothes is hideous.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 24, 2008 3:46 PM

I know many here may not realize it, but Rasheed is usually one of the best interviews in the league, and gives the most colorful quotes (usually not profanity laced like when he was mad yesterday). He is one hell of a smart dude, and not as bad as people make him out to be. He just gets reeeeaaaal worked up during the games sometimes. He makes the game fun, he is one of the NBA's all time great characters up there with guys like Oakley and Barkley.

Posted by: Roman | March 24, 2008 7:00 PM

I can't wait to hear Rasheed tell the world what [expletive deleted] Flip Saunders is. And how he doesn't know his [expletive deleted] from a hole in the wall. And how he gets outcoached by [expletive deleted]s like Mike Brown in the playoffs and we lose to [expletive deleted]s like Cleveland.

That is the only way you could top Sheed's rant from last night.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 24, 2008 7:15 PM

Agreed, Roman (although being a Detroit native and longtime Pistons fan, I'm admittedly biased). He's a lot like Laimbeer, in that you hate him if he plays for the other team, but would love to have him on yours.

Posted by: kalrama | March 24, 2008 7:21 PM

Yep, that urinal is the bomb.

LOL at Hubie's commentary.

Posted by: Shindy Furlington | March 24, 2008 8:20 PM

deeeeetroooit basketball
sheed can play hard against any big man in the league, cares about the team, and has always been great with teaching youngsters how to improve their game. I think he is doing great this year, and I love his colourful language.

sheed is not a bad guy ... last night in the suns game 4th quarter, game tied, play is dead and shaq kinda trips over some players feet and is off balance. Sheed grabbed him - kept him from falling - sportmanship I say

Posted by: double d | March 25, 2008 8:04 AM

Sheed is one of my all time favorite players. He came into the league as primarily a dunker and has since developed one of the prettiest fadeaways in the the game. He's unselfish, plays hard and protects his teammates. On top of that, he's always good for at 2-3 memorable interviews per season. As a Wizards fan, I'll always wonder "What if we kept Sheed instead of sending him to the Blazers for Rod Strickland?"

Posted by: Essex | March 25, 2008 8:18 AM

Rod Strickland gave us some of the best moments in wizards history and don't you forget it!

Posted by: gconrads | March 25, 2008 9:49 AM