Wiz at Lakers, Gilbert at it again

So we're in the locker room before the game when some Los Angeles based writers roll up to Gilbert Arenas and start talking to him. The interview begins with Gilbert talking about how he's still unsure of when he'll be cleared to play again and then suddenly, it took a wild, Arenas-turn when he was asked about the upcoming summer.

"I want to see Antawn (Jamison) taken care of first and then, I'll take a pay cut to keep the team intact," Arenas said.

How much less is he willing to take?
"That depends on what Antawn wants," Arenas replied with a chuckle. "We've been together six out of my seven years so we have an understanding. We know what it's in jeopardy so, you know, I told him whatever he wants, give it to him, and I'll take the pay cut. I know what he does. He's a part of my success and I'm a part of his success so we have this one-two combination that works in this league. We know we make each other better. Someone has to sacrifice. This might be one of his last contracts so I'll sacrifice and hopefully, I'll get another one at the end of the day. And if I don't, I know I did the right thing."

If you're wondering why Arenas chose tonight to break the news of his new plan, join the club. I have no idea.
As for his return, Arenas said he still doesn't know when doctors will clear him. He's still hoping it's soon - mayb as soon as Wednesday's home game against Milwaukee but that remains to be seen.

By Ivan Carter |  March 30, 2008; 9:47 PM ET
Previous: Tough Juice Gets It Done (Songaila too) | Next: Headed to Salt Lake City

Comments

Gilby cannot stand not being the center of attention. EG should get a clue and give him a big pay cut--$0!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 30, 2008 10:00 PM

Ivan, thanks again for the update. We all really appreciate what you do for us.

Don't ever let the childish antics of the poster before me make you stop giving us valued info.

I think it's safe to say that Gilbert will be a Wizard next year!!!

Posted by: Adam | March 30, 2008 10:10 PM

antonio??

Posted by: JEp | March 30, 2008 10:14 PM

An attorney friend used to talk about "true facts" so I assume that there are also other kinds.
IF IT'S A FACT, I BELIEVE IT.

Posted by: lrmc623 | March 30, 2008 10:23 PM

I think Gilby deserves a decent contract, just not max money.

If Gilby is so flexible with how much he wants, then he shouldn't bother opting out.

Given all that, I think Gilby was just BS'ing the reporters. If he's willing to take much less, that also means he's willing to take much less (only 5 years) from another team.

Also, Gilbly is BS'ing with "it could be AJ's last contract."

Check yo'self Gilby. This could be your last contract too, with 2 knee surgeries for a guard that relies on his quickness as his bread and butter.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 30, 2008 10:41 PM

Nice try idiots, but that last post doesn't even sound like me. I would never use the term "check yo'self". That doesn't even make sense. That being said, and I've said this before, this team will be doomed if it resigns Gilby, even for peanuts. The money would be better spent on D-leaguers.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 30, 2008 10:51 PM

I remember a few years ago when Les Boulez couldn't resign anyone that Gil said he would take less money if it meant improving the team. All I know is this summer is going to be really interesting...

Posted by: hibachi | March 30, 2008 11:02 PM

Why are reporters even talking to Arenas? He doesn't matter right now, and won't until he gets on the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 30, 2008 11:02 PM

I Will Beleive It When I See It

Wiz just went on a 8 to nothing run and we are looking good right now, were down 47-45 and I just so happened to read this limelight hog of a post. What can I say but I will beleive it when I see it. Although Arenas is generally honest about how he feels about the past and present, but it is hard to gage honesty when we are talking about how someone will feel in the future. I hope this is how he will feel this summer because this past summer he felt like he wanted that max contract. Now we're going back and forth. I mean Arenas gave last year the term "The Takeover Year" and now the story of this year was "The Opt-out Year" and now 180.

It is difficult for me to think he is lieing because you don't make up a story saying Jamison makes him better and vice versa because then I will have to question Arenas' integrity and his value as a teamate and more importantly as a friend.

I like Arenas, I'm not one of these fans who wants to take him to the stake and burn him for Jermain O Neal. I really think we are a better team with him than without him and I don't think there is a trade out there where we can get an equal value. Arenas is hands down top 5 players in the league. I hope he wasn't smoking that Cali bud and I really hope he is sincere, but like I said I will beleive it when I see it. Thats alot of money were talking about.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 30, 2008 11:04 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 30, 2008 10:51 PM

I, for one, am hoping that the Wizards sign Arenas and are are "doomed" to:

• CONTINUE making the Playoffs year after year (Like they have since Arenas came here)
  • CONTINUE leading the Eastern Conference every year (Like they did last year when the big 3 were healthy)
  • CONTINUE putting a superior and entertaining team on the floor year after year (Like they have for the last 3 years)
  • CONTINUE to field a team of good guys with genuine respect and friendship towards each other.
  • Yes, Please, Ernie.... Please "doom" the Wizards franchise to the absolute hell of making the playoffs and being a perennial contender.

Posted by: Rook | March 30, 2008 11:04 PM

I wouldn't trust Gilby as far as I could throw him, even with his parachute strapped on.

Posted by: Agent Neo | March 30, 2008 11:05 PM

Rook, you are stupid for responding to anyone's comments on this blog. No one's name is safe the way this blog is set up.

Posted by: Ray | March 30, 2008 11:07 PM

Yes TOP 5

Kobe, Lebron, CP3, Arenas, and you name someone.

If you disagree name 5 in front of Arenas.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 30, 2008 11:12 PM

Please Wayne, DWade has a ring and has done just as much this season as Arenas. Then you have Nash, Duncan, Carmelo, AI, DHoward, Baron Davis, Caron, and the list goes on and on.

Posted by: Dexter Manley | March 30, 2008 11:18 PM

End of 3 qaraters and tied in LA. Neither Caron nor Kobe have done a lot in terms of scoring. fourth quarter should be great.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 30, 2008 11:26 PM

Dexter Manley, are u still on coke??? Ok we can throw Wade in top 5 but the rest of your list arent game changers. Nash inherited some good teams that havent made it to the finals...the rest arent game changers. Melo is a bag of tricks he is good but not elite. AI is good but Im sorry to say but AI's days are slowly coming to an end. Duncan is good but when on the court im not scared of Duncan Im scared of the Spurs. Howard is good but not a proven winner yet. B Diddy is a good player but his numbers doesnt come close to Arenas. Caron Butler is Robin no. 2. NEXT!!!

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 30, 2008 11:29 PM

Nick Young is KILLING!!!

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 30, 2008 11:31 PM

And please don't nobody post "Let Arenas go we have Nick Young. Let the young man take over" Yall crazy Nick Young is going to be good maybe Letrell Spreewell good but not Arenas!

Whats up Ivan Holla at me man

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 30, 2008 11:35 PM

Wayne, I am still on coke, but I could be worse. I could be living in PG County.

So, Gilbert is a game changer, but what has he won compared to Nash, Carmelo, AI, Duncan, Howard, etc? How many MVP's has Gilbert won? Does it matter if you're considered a top 5 player from a dude from Bowie, if you've had little success in the playoffs?

AI days are coming to an end? Look at what AI is averaging this year while sharing the ball with Carmelo. Yes, he's still averaging 26.5 pts and 7.2 assists this season. What is Arenas averaging this season?

What about Baron Davis, Tony Parker, etc., etc? Get real Wayne.

Posted by: Dexter Manley | March 30, 2008 11:39 PM

Dexter whats wrong PG County?

I dont count that MVP stuff. That stuff is politics because Kobe has 0 mvps. And if you want to be real Kobe should have had those mvp trophies that Nash has sitting in his living room. And what has Carmelo, B Diddy, and Howard done??? AI is still a good player but Arenas is better. Thats the thing you Washington Fans yall have short term memory loss. Everything is what has he done this year he hasnt had the opportunity to do anything this year what did he do last year before getting injured

reb asst st pts
    '07 3.5 6.1 2.0 29.3
    '08 4.6 6.0 1.9 28.5

Parker is in the same boat as Duncan Im scared of them as a team not a single threat.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 30, 2008 11:55 PM

Is Caron an assassin or what?

Now D up!

Posted by: tony yayo | March 30, 2008 11:56 PM

How about the Rookie? Talk about bringing your "A" game...... Nick Young brought it tonight...!!

Now, let's get em in Overtime!!

Posted by: Rook | March 30, 2008 11:58 PM

Wayne, if you have to ask about Pee Gee, you just don't know, and probably shouldn't know. Don't worry, be happy.

Also, why do you need Batman when Robin is doing an as good or better job? The Wizards play so much better as a TEAM with Caron, and I think EG sees the potential in Nick and can easily pick up the slack.

This team is rocking since Caron returned from his injury. Haven't missed Gilbert at all.

Posted by: Dexter Manley | March 30, 2008 11:59 PM

DOG WE R IN 5th PLACE...Y wasnt Nick Young picking up the slack when Butler wasnt in. Cmon man. We havent been the top 3 eastern team all season. Are you content with that???

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 31, 2008 12:04 AM

Bowie Brotha, regular season doesn't matter. Playoffs matter. What has Gilbert done during the playoffs? What is he known for besides missing 3 consecutive free throws to 'bron 'bron?

Posted by: Dexter Manley | March 31, 2008 12:07 AM

YOUNG IS HAVING A HELL OF A GAME THO!!! But hes going to be a Letrell Spreewell which isnt bad. But he is no Arenas. Arenas is the best player on the team man what is wrong with you.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 31, 2008 12:08 AM

Nick Young tonight! What happened to that boy?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 12:08 AM

Hitting a game winner against the bulls to go to the 2nd round.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 31, 2008 12:10 AM

You can't say a player is top 5 unless he's carried his team deep into the playoffs.

Posted by: Dexter Manley | March 31, 2008 12:14 AM

great game. tough loss. I wish Nick had gotten ball to Caron instead of taking that fadeaway. But he and Stevenson were sizzling. I hope they have enough to steal one against the Jazz. Tough turnaround. But this team has lots of character so don't count them out.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 31, 2008 12:24 AM

EJ has to go. Two big coaching decisions that cost us this game. First off, with a tie game going to the 4th quarter, he puts out a lineup that eaten up. Songaila, Young, Jamison, Mason, and Haywood. What a mistake. While Caron and Stevenson is on the bench, the Lakers go up by 9. How can you sit your two best players tonight, on the bench with a tied game. Secondly, in overtime, score is at 121-120, why in the hell would you go with Nick Young? You have 2 all stars in Caron and Jamison and also Stevenson on the court and you go to a rookie?!?!?!? How can you call an isolation play for a rookie coming off a timeout. Caron or Stevenson is the man. He's the one that will make the clutch shots. The rookie had a great game, but in the clutch, you gotta go to the veteran all star. EJ makes these terrible decisions all the time down the stretch.

Posted by: Dagger | March 31, 2008 12:27 AM

uninspired second half of play by BTH and a bad decision by EJ to go with the rook on an isolation. i'd prefer to finish with caron in a caron-kobe matchup to a youngin with a bit of feel any day of the week. defensive rebounding was painful. deserved the loss.

Posted by: thickman | March 31, 2008 12:36 AM

Other than the fact that they didn't win, there's really not much to criticize about the game. They came out strong, didn't wilt when the Lakers made their inevitable run and put themselves in position to steal one on the rode. A couple of bad bounces here and there did them in. Young was on fire and the coach decided to ride the hot hand, which is what most coaches would do. He made some rookie mistakes down the stretch, but that's what rookies do. People rip Eddie for not playing the bench and developing the youngsters. When he lets them out and they produce, they rip him for playing the bench too much. Can't have it both ways. It's all pretty silly, really.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 12:38 AM

Seriously, do you really develop youngsters and the bench down the stretch of a close game?

"He made some rookie mistakes down the stretch, but that's what rookies do." -- That's the whole point, why wouldn't you go with Caron instead of the rook?

Posted by: Dagger | March 31, 2008 12:49 AM

I love that everyone wants EJ out. Does anyone remember how awful the zards were before EJ. Or how many coaches the team went through? Isn't he the longest tenured coach in the East? Doesn't he have the time in 5th place even with all the injuries? He's gotten players like Jamison and Haywood to really step it up this year. I think he's doing a pretty good job.

Posted by: hibachi | March 31, 2008 12:49 AM

EDIT:

"They came out strong, didn't wilt when the Lakers made their inevitable run and put themselves in position to steal one on the rode."

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 12:38 AM

Of course, that should read "on the road.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 12:53 AM

About that final play.

It was not an isolation, please don't describe it as such. The plan was to have Young come off two screens and then curl to the elbow, where he would receive the pass from Stevenson. Upon doing that, he would either shoot if his man was trailing him, or, when the defense collapsed, kick out to Stevenson or Butler for the open three.

What ended up happening was Vujacic defended Young really well off the ball, Stevenson delivered the pass too early, and nobody moved once Young caught it. The corner is not a good place to begin an isolation move.

In hindsight, it would have probably been better for Butler to be curling and Nick to be spotting up (since Butler's a much better passer), but Kobe had switched on Butler, and Kobe's really good at fighting through off-ball screens. Again, though, in hindsight, that should have been the way to go.

But please, Eddie knew exactly what he was doing. He didn't just stare at the clipboard for 30 seconds and call a lazy clearout for Nick Young. He drew up a play, and it didn't work. That happens to every coach, good or bad. We're only second-guessing it because it didn't work.

Posted by: Pradamaster | March 31, 2008 12:56 AM

If the Wizards finish this season at or above .500, Jordan will be the first Washington coach in 30 years to reach that mark in 4 consecutive years.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 1:02 AM

I liked pretty much everything about this game.

Dexter Manley, you ask what else Gil has done besides miss 3 free throws. How bout when he won the playoff series against the Bulls on a buzzer-beater? Or the 11+ game winning shots he hit last year. Dont be crazy.

We played real great tonight. Can't wait until NY finally nails down a game-winner, EJ has given him a couple oppys now. Deshawn looked fired up to play Kobe tonight too.

Posted by: andy | March 31, 2008 1:08 AM

I liked pretty much everything about this game.

Posted by: andy | March 31, 2008 1:08 AM

Making the playoffs in the East isn't that big of a deal anymore. The Zards weren't very good until EJordan got here but this team is just treading water. If they play the Cavs, they will lose in the first round. I'd much rather they play Orlando. The zards will never beat teams like DET, Celtics or Cavs in a 7 game series.

By the way, Haywood go out rebounded twice down the stretch. His only job is to get Rebounds and he can't even do that.

Posted by: Billy | March 31, 2008 1:14 AM

Posted by: Billy | March 31, 2008 1:14 AM

Can we just decide who we want out of town!

Last week, Jordan was doing a great job winning games we weren't expected to be competitive in. This week we want him out because we took a good team in the west to overtime with a depleted line up on a tough road trip.

Here is a question... for JarJar DC man 88, how deep into the playoffs has Kobe taken the Lakers WITHOUT Shaq?

Would you consider him top 5?

Gee I wish you could tell me if Kobe was a top five player how deep into the playoffs that top 5 player has carried his green teams into the playoffs?

Maybe Kobe the consensus top five player won a championship without Shaq while i was yawning?

I'm not suggesting Kobe and Gil are equals, or that Gil is anywhere near Kobe (I don't think there are many near Kobe)... what I'm suggesting is that it is really stupid even in jest to suggest that Gil is worth less than D-League players.

You hate is clouding you judgment... and why? Cause Gil isn't perfect? OK, let's play take our own advise. If Gil needs to grow up, well then so do you.

Posted by: jarjar wizfan | March 31, 2008 2:40 AM

Can we just decide who we want out of town!

Would you consider him top 5?

Posted by: jarjar wizfan | March 31, 2008 2:49 AM

Damn...DVR'd the game and it cutoff at the beginning of OT so I can't comment on the OT period.

Otherwise, the game was a well played entertaining basketball game.

Few things I noticed:

1. Hmmm....that last in the league 3 pt defense sure bit us big tonight!!!!!! Although I will say I don't ever remember a game where BOTH teams were as hot from downtown as these two were tonight.

2. DS played Kobe very well. In fact, he pretty much out played him.

3. Jamison is starting to get abused on the defensive end again. Hopefully it's been just a couple of bad matchups for him and he's not reverting to the way he's played D in the past.

4. NY Good stuff kid! I like the guard rotation of Arenas, Stevenson, Daniels, and NY for next year! That's as solid as it gets in the back court.

5. Haywood played well in the 1st qtr and then pretty much disappeared.

As far as Arenas' blather, we'll see. If he keeps his word, he'll regain some respect from me. And Arenas was a Top 5 player in the league for about a minute. All the other guys being dissed in that discussion have been Top whatever for a long period of time. I hope he gets there again, but that Top 5 statement is not only in the past and short lived, but he may never be that player again!

Posted by: Rob P | March 31, 2008 6:01 AM

Hibachi, I had to post after reading your comments. EJ is not the reason we are successful. No way we can attribute this team's success to EJ coming here. Even Leonard Hamilton might have won 40 games with this roster.
    You say he's gotten Jamison and BTH to step it up this year? huh !!!??

As for the game, I watched all of the 1st quarter and BTH looked like the best center in the league. When I woke up this morning and looked at his stats, it seemed like he was on court but must have been standing in the corner with his back to the action. What the he1! happened ? How did he go from all world in the first quarter to a non factor? he blocked a couple shots, grabbed rebounds, ran the floor for dunks and even finished off the 1st quarter with a drive and scoop shot right before the buzzer. Maybe he was spent after that shot.

Posted by: mark | March 31, 2008 7:28 AM

What??? Where's the love for the Wizards?? This has got to be the worst place for true Wiz fans to post. There is nothing but negativity for the players,coaches and staff on this blog and it sucks. I have been a Gil fan since he got here and I clearly remember Gil saying that he would take less to keep the team together so his statement was no surprise to me. And he is opting out to get a longer contract(years)not to necessarily break the Wiz's bank. True we lost last nigth, but they never gave in or gave up. They fought valiantly and you can't ask for more than that. If the Wiz somehow make some serious noise in the playoffs, I am sure all of the naysayers will jump on the bandwagon then. Whatever..........WIZ FAN FOR LIFE! Go Wiz!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 7:58 AM

Gil always means what he says in the moment when he says it. I think we should keep the guy around for pure entertainment value. You have to admit these guys do sure seem to be on the up and up. With the exception of a Blatche's boneheadedness in the off season, they are a feel good bunch.

BTW, did anyone else catch Jason Campbell's diss of the Wizards on SportsNite? He was talking about exciting things going on in DC Sports. He mentioned the Skins (duh!), Caps, and Nats, but not the Wizards. If you had told me we'd be where we are now when Gil went down--and then to lose Caron for a spell, too--I never would have believed it.

I was hoping for some news on AD, but I guess it's still awfully early on the West coast.

Posted by: Lou | March 31, 2008 8:00 AM

Man, get him back on the court so that he can SHUT HIS MOUTH. GIL YOU ARE CLEARLY BEGINNING TO IRRITATE YOUR DC FANS.

Posted by: Keedrow | March 31, 2008 8:42 AM

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 12:38 AM

Yo Kal. I agree with you again........

As you know I was one of the main folks ripping Eddie about his substitution calls and his lack of staying with the "hot" player during games all last year and the beginning of this year. Now, I have nothing but great things to say about him.

Eddie did "NOTHING WRONG" on the final play for NY. Pradamaster's post was excellent, could not had explained it better myself. I always said I wanted Eddie to stay here as coach because he has a dynamite system and he gets along great with all of the players (other then Haywood last year, which appears to finally be fixed now). Although AB might have taken BTH's spot now, anyway thats another story.

Eddie has all of the makings of a great coach. He just had problems last year and the beginning of this year knowing how to use his bench and getting out coached in 4th quarter of games. He has now changed all of that.

He no longer has problems with BTH and has now separated personal from business, he has now learned to stay with the "hot hand" instead of yanking them in order to get his "favorites" back in the game, he has learned to go offense for defense and vice versa during last minutes of games, he calls timeouts now when another team gets on a roll instead of letting the big "MO" kill us more, he stopped using "slow smallball" all of the time including crucial 2nd and 4th quarters stands and etc, etc, etc.

The man has changed the major defects to his coaching game and he will only get better. Folks who know anything about the game can clearly see he has made changes to the way he calls games and makes end game decisions. Keep up the good work Eddie!!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 31, 2008 8:50 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself Bullets Fever and I did catch Jasons dis of the Wiz. I think he just forgot because he is at pretty much all of the home games and I have heard him say that he likes to support the other area sports teams by going to the games. I truly believe he thought he mentioned the Wiz but would be surpised that he intentionally left them off.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 8:57 AM

That was a fun game. Sure, a win would've been better, but it was entertaining from beginning to end.

Young was sensational. It's games like this that really build a youngster's confidence. He's starting to realize he can score on anyone, at any time. I thought our other rook, McGuire, had some very good moments, too.

I didn't think much of Antawn's game last night. He fell in love with the 3-ball again, and the team paid for it. It didn't seem like he was as interested in staying down low as he has all season. Pretty much a non-factor.

I loved the call in OT that put the Lakers ahead for good. Kobe sticks out his left arm, shoves Deshawn backwards five feet. Foul on Deshawn. That was a hoot. In fact, it happened twice in the game, and wasn't called either time, along with about 10 travels on the Lakers that weren't called. I thought LeBron was playing!

Posted by: Keithinator | March 31, 2008 9:31 AM

BTW, speaking of fouls, did anyone notice Kobe went to the line 15 times? That's one of the things the Wiz miss most with Gil out. He's superb at getting to the line, and "making a high percentage," has Hubie Brown would say. Gee, anyone think he would've been a difference-maker tonight?

Posted by: Keithinator | March 31, 2008 9:36 AM

The game was exciting and we were playing the Lakers at their arena coming off of a 15+ point deficit after half time. Just to come back and fight the way they did, once again in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the game, shows me their will to win. This attitude and drive will only help in the playoffs. Great game.
    As for Gilbert, we Washingtonian's appreciate you and can't wait to see you next year!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 9:40 AM

Lou, Jason Campbell did not diss the Wizards....he simply forgot to mention them. Jason is at most of the Wizards games and truly supports the franchise.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 9:42 AM

I understand that Nick was having the game of his career and all, but when the game is on the line I want the ball in the hands of our most consistent and best player and thats Caron. I sorry its just that I don't trust Nick to make those shots yet. Its crunch time and although I wasn't Caron's best night he had already hit an impossible shot to force over time. Give him the ball and let him do it again.

Posted by: blackpopeHU | March 31, 2008 9:52 AM

Lots of fairweather fans. We lost AD four minutes into the game, fell down 17 points to one of the best teams in the league, and fought back to take the Lakers into OT on the road. It's completely ignorant to blame EJ when he drew up a play to go to NY with options for him to pass out to CB3 or DSS. CB3 was being guarded by Kobe who's the best defensive player in the league, while NY was being covered by Vujavic who he was destroying.

Give the team some credit for playing a tough hard game on the road and almost pulling one out after losing their PG early in the game. NY's play bodes well for the playoffs when we'll need him to provide offense off the bench when teams are keying on CB3, Jamison, etc. Kudos to EJ for developing the confidence of one of his young players instead of just leaning on the veterans.

Hope they can pull one out on the road tonight against Utah but 2-3 on the road isn't a disaster after we started off with a dud in Portland. We're still in the 5th seed and Philly has lost 2 straight. Key game will be when we play Philly at home on April 12th.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 31, 2008 9:55 AM

This game is a perfect example of why Eddie Jordan is not coach of the year. He only played Nick Young last night because AD went down. Young, who is arguably the best player on the team after Butler (yes even better than Antawn) has been getting only 6-10 minutes a game.

If Young had been playin the entire season like he should have, the Wiz would have at least 10 more wins. Unreal. What a talent!
    What bad decision making by Jordan.

Guarantee, when AD comes back, Young is back to his 6-10 minutes.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 10:04 AM

Keithinator, the reason why Jamison was so ineffective and more or less relying on the 3 point shot and missing them, was largely because of the defense and length of Odom bothering Jamison. It's just one of those rare matchups where Jamison loses on both ends of the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 10:10 AM

true, we do need to play Nick Young a lot more....he's an explosive scorer.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 10:26 AM

Anon, good call on Odom. He was bothering Antawn. It also seems like the scouting is getting better on Jamison, as a little more lately, his up-and-unders are being defended better.

dk, Young is a rookie, and most of the year he's played like it -- good some nights, atrocious others. In other words, inconsistent, like any other rookie. Your "10 more wins" comment is simply ludicrous. He's gotten minutes when he's deserved them. And no, he's not better than Jamison; he's not even close to Jamison in terms of production. He's not in Jamison's universe.

I do think he'll be good, but let's not go overboard here. He could score 4 points with 6 turnovers tonight.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 31, 2008 10:28 AM

Man, it was so close! How can you give up an offensive rebound on a missed free throw when the game is on the line and only 9 sec to play? EJ needs to drill this team on boxing out until it is ingrained in their subconscious mind!

What happen to AB, he got shots blocked 4 times! I thought he can jump better than that. At the very least, draw some contact!

I wish AD is OK, we need him!

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 31, 2008 10:39 AM

Darnittt! Hey Ivan, you gonna update us on how badly Gil RE-INJURED his knee in practice as reported by CNNSI? I hope it isn't SERIOUS at all...

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/

Posted by: onedeyearly | March 31, 2008 10:40 AM

Good effort by the team even if they lose. DS resigning looks better and better each game. And Agent Zero's presence in the court could have made a difference in OT....that's why resigning him is imperative. NY is making a believer out of me.

Posted by: Dave, | March 31, 2008 10:42 AM

Keithinator, are you tellin me youd rather have AD, Deshawn, Mason or Songaila in the game at crunch time than Nick?

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 10:46 AM

dk,

I'm referring to this statement: Young, who is arguably the best player on the team after Butler (yes even better than Antawn)

You said Young is better than a two-time all-star. In time, he might be the second-best player on the team. Now? No way. Not by any stretch. Not even close.

That's what I'm saying. The rookie has one great game, and you're going crazy, is what I'm saying.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 31, 2008 10:51 AM

"Young, who is arguably the best player on the team after Butler (yes even better than Antawn) "

That's a joke, right?

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 10:52 AM

onedeyearly, i can't find what you're referencing. do you have a more specific link?

Posted by: Keithinator | March 31, 2008 10:53 AM

dk, let's put it this way:

If you went to Vegas and somebody told you if you played one game and had 1/2 chance to win $100 or 1/10 chance to win $200 and that money was important enough to get you home, what game would you play?

EJ has to think in similar terms with playing solid veterans that are CONSISTENT vs. outright POTENTIAL ROOKIE INCONSISTENTCY with his job on the line.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 10:54 AM

Until NY is consistent enough, that 1/10 potential is hard to justify when your job is on the line every night.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:04 AM

Great picture of Caron and Nick on the BulletsForever website. Now, THATS, a classic. Swag at its best!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:07 AM

Forget last night's game. Look at Young's minutes vs his production. Then look at Songaila, DeShawn and AD. (OK forget Jamison--shouldn't have said that--although in time he'll far surpass him also).
    Young's points per minutes and his TO's per minutes are better than the 3 players listed above. Way before last night.
    Deshawn is so overated it kills me. He's had a couple of good games period. His "warrior" tag hasn't been beneficial to the Wiz at all.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 11:08 AM

Just went to the Sports Illustrate/CNN sports website and there is NOTHING on there pertaining to Gil reinjuring his knee. He looked fine last night and being as how they are on the west coast when would have reinjured his knee. I doubt if the have even practiced today? What gives?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:11 AM

Couldn't agree more with Keithinator and Bullets Fever #1 and others. Eddie went with what he had and the guys almost pulled it out and stole one from the Lakers. Sometimes it makes sence to ride the hot hand at the end. The kid's going to be an option to be doing that kind of thing in his career. Last night wasn't a bad time to start.

Loved the "I thought LeBron was playing" in reference to the walks.

And Kobe with the push offs, classic.
    And how many times has HE gone deep in the playoffs without Shaq? And how much is he getting paid? Give Gil's money to D League guys, Now that's really grasping for it.

Gil likes to ramble when he's talking to reporters, but it appears to me he wants to make sure his "Big Brother" is around to play with. These guys appear to like their coach and each other and the system they're playing under. Doesn't look like that anybody wants to leave.

There's plenty of money to divide up to keep everybody happy. May not be max money, but still alot.

Ivan, any word on AD, and are the Wiz waiting til they get home to re-evauluate Gil's knee.

Oh, and guys, 88 can say enough stupid stuff and stick his foot in his mouth on his own, he really doesn't need anybody helping him out with it.

Posted by: GM | March 31, 2008 11:13 AM

If the Wizards finish this season at or above .500, Jordan will be the first Washington coach in 30 years to reach that mark in 4 consecutive years - 3 All-stars in a team sure helps. Besides they don't have the same history as the Celts and the Lakers.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:19 AM

I wish AD is OK, we need him!

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 31, 2008 10:39 AM

Sagaliba, I was mad about that play too but replaying it on my DVR, it just looked like Jamison was a little too fatigued and Walton got the jump on him on the box out. It's frustrating, but that's all it takes folks when AJ and CB are getting 40+ minutes in most games. You're definitely not going to be at your best when you're that tired. EJ needs to look at Popovich's strategy in regards to minutes for his starters health and ability to GEAR UP for the playoffs, not the regular season.

AB has been a little tentative plus he is definitely not in great shape and the longer the season progresses, the worse his conditioning looks. He doesn't have that explosion left as shown earlier in the year. Hopefully in the coming years, he'll be a smarter player and learn to be a real pro - taking care of his body and preparing the right way. Just follow AJ's leadership to a T and we might one day say AB is one of the best PFs in the game but for now, he's more a tease.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:33 AM

Man, I can't find anything on Gil's re-injury on CNNSi or anywhere. Where exactly is this story at?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:37 AM

Dk, you forget about this little thing called defense. Stevenson is out best defensive player, and Mason does a better job at putting pressure on the ball. Look at NY fouls per minute. He can't over his feet on Defense. Oh yeah and we already know what happened when he started. If his the second or third best player why didn't he produce when hes started and Mason,Stevenson, and Daniels did. STOP the insanity.

Posted by: blackpopeHu | March 31, 2008 11:39 AM

Blackpope, stevenson's defensive prowess is about as overated as one jared jeffries. thats all media hype. look at all the guards who have had season and career games against him this year. he is constantly getting torched. next to gilbert, young is the most naturally gifted player on the team. its time to play him.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 11:48 AM

LOL I got it! onedeyearly (one day early) April Fool's joke. Hahaha, that was pretty good except for the part about Gil getting hurt. We all know only one idiot here likes to hear bad news about Gil.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 11:49 AM

"Kal, good thing you caught your own mistake. I can imagine with all of the corrections you hand out, you might have gotten "rode" hard over that one."

I almost never give anybody grief over spelling mistakes. As far as pointing out when someone has said something indefensibly wrong or foolish, ... I think of that more as education than correction.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 11:56 AM

Lets compare, shall we. Eddie Jordan had Arenas, Butler, and ,Jamison. Three straight playoff appearances and one series won. Remember when we had Webber and Howard and everyone thought it was gonna be a cakewalk to a championship. Coaching matters.

Posted by: BlackpopeHu | March 31, 2008 11:58 AM

sagaliba, agree about blatche. hes been a real disappointment. not sure what the problem is. dude has mad skillz but has really regressed as the season has progressed. 2 bad.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 11:58 AM

Isn't that already showing that AJ will take a paycut from 16 to 10?

Gilbert has now come full circle in terms of his contract. There was a time he talked about not being that superstar that couldn't win because his contract kept the team from adding important pieces.

Then he forgot about that and only wanted to talk opt-out and MAX.

Now he's back to a team (and teammate) friendly deal? Hmm. We'll see. He could certainly opt out, make more than he would under his current deal and still have room for AJ since AJ's new contract will come in around 6 mil shy of his expiring deal. Gil can also include another opt out clause after a few years to get that "last contract".

Plus AJ's deal will likely include a year toward his retirement fund that lessons his load toward the cap/luxury tax.

Posted by: Monte | March 31, 2008 12:01 PM

as far as arenas comments, g just likes to talk more than any1 and will reel in whoever listens. wouldnt put much stock in anything he sez until its done.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 12:07 PM

What bad decision making by Jordan.

Guarantee, when AD comes back, Young is back to his 6-10 minutes.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 10:04 AM

DK - I am a "HUGE" NY fan since his first summer league game and the tape of him I saw (never saw any of his college games) during draft day.

I also came down pretty hard on EG for resigning DStevenson and not keeping Carlos Navaro. Glad to see I was totally wrong in both of my stances there.

Now I bring all of that up to say I was hoping we did not resign DStevenson so NY could get those minutes. But guess what, NY was not ready for big minutes at the beginning of the season. It takes time to learn this Princeton offense.

With having a spreadthrift owner unwilling to field a team of 12 or more, Eddie was unable to run full-scale practices so that NY could cut down on his learning curve quicker learning the offense.

Why do you think you see DMac looking better in games too like NY? Both of them were real shakey in the beginning of the season, but now they are understanding the little things of the offense now and thus you now see production. They were not ready for "regular" minutes at the beginning of the season.

Now, the only reason NY could not finish that shot last night was because he was out of gas. He looked just like my boy Curry with Davenson near the end of the game. Playing that 2 spot is no joke. That is why you have to give Rip and Reggie Miller their props because you have to be in superior shape to run people off of screens for four quarters.

And that statement you made about him being the best player on the team after CB! My man I hope you were joking?? Talent wise he might be "potentially" one of the most "talented" players on the team, but my no measure is he the second best player on the team at this juncture.

That is a direct slap to AJ and Gilbert. My man, the young boy is a "ROOKIE", so low minutes in games is what happens. Also, Roger Mason is playing his spot. DStevenson plays the D (which NY is unable to do yet in his career) and Mason plays the D and has spot up skills. Lastly they are "VETERANS". So please tell me how NY was supposed to be getting all of these minutes you say he should have been getting?????????

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 31, 2008 12:10 PM

Why does Gilbert want to opt out after not playing most of the season with a knee injury? It's not like he has to opt out. I just don't understand how he thinks he'll get max money when he hasn't proven he's all the way back from his injured knee.

Posted by: Larry | March 31, 2008 12:14 PM

Larry,

That's part of why he's so anxious to be cleared to play. He wants to get out on the floor and prove he's recovered to any potential bidders.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 12:23 PM

I'm willing to take a pay cut, provided that DC Man88 moves to Cleveland.

Posted by: Gilby | March 31, 2008 12:31 PM

So, can someone ask Gilby why he's now saying that he's willing to take less money now, but his entire impetus for opting out was for financial security.

Are his kids going to be feeding off the mickey D's dollar menu now, instead of eating kobe beef, truffles, and whale sashimi since he'll only pull in 100 mil over 6 years?

I seriously doubt if AJ appreciates Gilby putting him out there like that. Gilby's lips are almost as loose as GM's wife.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 12:38 PM

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 12:38 AM

Completely agree... besides, the play (as Pradmaster already posted) was supposed to get Nick a clear shot at the elbow, or a spot up 3 from Stevenson... Had the play been successful, everyone here would be lauding the Coach for the great end of game play he drew up.

Unfortunate Nick didn't hit that shot.

In my mind, there are three things that Nick needs to do to get into the next level... Improve his defense; Improve his consistancy, and learn how to get his points in the flow of the Princeton offense.

Posted by: Rook | March 31, 2008 12:56 PM

Gilby realizes that he's not coming back in time to get his "rhythm nation" back and thus won't be at his peak by the time Les BouleS get eliminated, so based on all that, I think Gilby is resigned to the fact that he won't get max money this offseason, even though he clearly doesn't deserve it, and is thus setting the stage for such and to save face by offering up a weak and fake gesture that he'll defer to AJ's contract demands.

WEAKKKKKK......

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 12:57 PM

Posted by: Keithinator | March 31, 2008 09:36 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think you're gonna see that same Gilbert until sometime next year. He won't be charging to the hoop, throwing his body around, taking the contact to get to the line or the "and-1's"...

Posted by: Rook | March 31, 2008 1:00 PM

Posted by: Rook | March 31, 2008 12:56 PM

agreed. dude isnt a finished product. but hes better at this stage than stevenson, daniels or mason. period!

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 1:07 PM

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 31, 2008 09:55 AM

And on a night when Jamison, who has been the most consistent Wizard, was having a bad night.

I've been really impressed with the Wizards focus and determination in the last Month. 10-5 so far for March, with Philly breathing down their necks. Overtaking Toronto for 5th spot. Putting pressure on Cleveland for the 4th spot.

Very few games where they didn't bring high energy and intensity.

Posted by: Rook | March 31, 2008 1:08 PM

Curious...

So where are all the bandwagon bama's today who were calling for big money for Roger Mason? In 27 minutes, he shot 2-7 and had 5 pts and was pretty much just jacking the ball up every time he got it.

"Roger's gonna command big money this offseason....do we have enough to sign him? we might lose him..."

LMAO! STFU!

DSong and all his wise ways played 12 min and shot 1-5.

And of course, there was DJ Mbenga. Did a decent job for the Lakers in 10 minutes, shooting 3-5, providing some muscle against BTH who ended up with a quiet night. Mbenga as most don't know/care was picked up in January '08 on a 10 day contract and signed for the rest of the season making 90K.

He's no Dwight Howard, but he's a big body who can play some D. For that piddly amount (90K) for an NBA baller, he provides good practice player service, some D to challenge the guys, and some muscle. Sure as heck better than West Unseld Jr. with a broomstick in his hand.

Oh well......

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:09 PM

"If Arenas comes back this year, I think you'll see a guy that is content to set up teammates (assists) and spot up for mid-range and 3-point jumpers.

Posted by: Rook | March 31, 2008 01:00 PM "

So who's going to pull double duty and guard his man? I haven't seen Ayers call many zone defense plays all season.

LMAO!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:12 PM

More salary BS for those who care about keeping Gilby:

"Later, Arenas implied he would also be willing to take a lower salary to play for a contending team. "Going to a team like the Lakers, Dallas, any championship team, I'd have to take a pay cut to go there," Arenas said. "The pay cut is, if I leave I have to take a pay cut, if Antawn comes back, I'd have to take a pay cut."

A Wizards source, when told of Arenas' willingness to play in Washington for less money, said: "That's a nice gesture, but the onus is on us to take care of all of our players. We're going to do everything at our disposal to make sure we take care of our franchise players." The source said the Wizards are authorized to go within $1 of the luxury tax threshold. This season the luxury tax level is $67,865,000. Any team going above it must pay a 100 percent tax for every dollar above that amount and also are ineligible to share in the luxury tax revenue that is shared with teams who remain below the threshold. Next season's luxury tax threshold is expected to be around $70 million."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:14 PM

More Gilby news:

Wizards coach Eddie Jordan tried to avoid the topic of Gilbert as much as he could.

"He's not playing tonight, he hasn't played and I'm not going to comment on when he's coming back and when he's going to play," Jordan said before the Wizards' game against the Lakers. "We're really focusing on the guys we have in the locker room and to win a game tonight.

Later, he said, "I really don't want to talk about Gilbert. I really don't. It's just going to be more distraction in my mind, and I'm not that good, to be talking about Gilbert, he's not playing and what he can bring and all that stuff. When he plays, we'll talk about it."

On when he will play again:

"We'll see when I get back home, see if they clear me or not. [The Wizards finish their trip in Utah on Monday]. After tonight there's only going to be nine games left. If they do clear me, I don't know what they expect from me.

"I'm not in really basketball shape. Don't have no rhythm to the game. We'll see what the decision is once we get back to DC.

On the minimum number of games it takes to get back to game speed.

"Twenty. I'm far away from that. I just have to go as hard as I can, just to exaggerate game speed just to try to catch a rhythm.

"I want to play. The knee is healthy enough. I've just got to wait for the doctor to give me the OK. It aches a little bit, but I did have two surgeries on it. I don't expect it to be free of pain until the summer when I'm actually resting it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:19 PM

On writing a successful blog:

"Be honest, be funny, entertaining. Have drama. Drama sells."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:20 PM

Gilbert will be in the starting lineup on Wednesday if the doctors clear him. As far as his "gesture" to help the Wiz resign AJ, I'm sure they've talked privately and AJ has let him know he'd like to be back. Also, GA knows the Wiz aren't even a playoff team if AJ leaves as a free agent. If the team wins a playoff series, both AJ and GA's value goes up.

Don't be surprised if AD sits out the next 2 weeks to get healthy for the playoffs...that wrist has been bothering him for a month. Fortunately, we're home 5 of 8 in April and two of the road games are against teams who've clinched their spots (Detroit and Orlando). We should win 6 out of last 9 which would mean 44-38. Not to bad for a team with all of the injuries.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 31, 2008 1:28 PM

I really wish there was an "ignore" button on this blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 1:33 PM

Posted by: Gilbert beter than KOBE | March 31, 2008 1:34 PM

"I really wish there was an "ignore" button on this blog.

Posted by: | March 31, 2008 01:33 PM "

Me too, for all the fake anon bloggers. Pieces of garbage.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:36 PM

"Gilbert's jus gettin ready to come bak and wen he duz...the leauge better be scared!!

Posted by: Gilbert beter than KOBE | March 31, 2008 01:34 PM "

Maybe if Gilby wore his parachute during a game, he could increase the intensity of his workout and get his rhythm back quicker.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:42 PM

i got another question--why doesnt pecherov play and how come when he does play he parks himself on the perimeter. we got enough 3 pt chuckers on the team. why isnt any1 tellin this guy youre 7 ft tall, stay on the low block? coaching question again i guess.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 1:48 PM

I'm sure the COTY has a master plan for Stewie.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 1:56 PM

Nick Young's a player with vast potential, I'd hope Young, and his Dickee work wear clad buddie McGuire, get in the weightroom and spend the offseason working on their games.

McGuire has really shown some good things on the court down the stretch, it's a big change to go from a college 4 or 5 to play a 3 or even 2 in the pro game. The kid's got a good court sense to have adapted so quickly he could be a rotation player as soon as next year.

Pecherov, whom everybody says is a gym rat, and Blatche also need another summer to season their games in the gym and build their bodies in the weightroom. Blatche is the big question mark of the group. Last summer he apparently worked hard in the offseason, but he was looking for a new deal.

Now that he has enough money to keep him from sleeping at Verizon Center and "off the streets", will he continue to heed the advise and the leadership of his older teammates and keep honing his game? Or will he revert back to bad work habits that seemed to hold him back the first couple of summers?

Grunfeld gambled on the young bench this year with a year of seasoning these guys could be major contributors next season. The players can see the potential that this team has and guys like Gil are looking at how they can hold this group together.

When a team gets a core of guys that like to play together and are talented enough to win in this league. And those guys put in the time to work on their game and hone their body in the every offseason. Then the General Manager has put together core of what's needed to put a winning team on the court every year.

Now Grunfeld can start to look at fine tuning the mix to try and move up. Never going to get past the Celtics, Cavaliers or the Pistons? Look at the Wizards young core and look at their teams.

The Celtics are built like Riley put together his Heat Championship, except they don't have a guy like Wade to rebuild around. The Cavaliers are way over the luxury Tax and have alot of old players. The Pistons are relying on some aging guys, but I will give it to Dumars he keeps finding ways to come up with players.

Posted by: GM | March 31, 2008 1:59 PM

Blatche has a ton of talent and potential in his body, it's what's going on from the neck up that will determine whether he fulfills it. He needs to come in with more focus and consistency. I still haven't seen much of anything from Pecherov to suggest he deserved to be a mid-first round pick. I wouldn't mind him being a 7 foot jump shooter is he actually shot the ball well.

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 2:21 PM

Posted by: kalorama | March 31, 2008 02:21 PM

exactly. what have we seen of him. at 2 minutes per game, its pretty tough to get a gage.

Posted by: dk | March 31, 2008 2:29 PM

"This Wizards team is on the rise and Grunfeld seems to have a plan to keep it getting better. And guys like Arenas want to stay on board and keep their teammates here too. That's anything but weak.

Posted by: GM | March 31, 2008 01:59 PM "

I can see why you decided to sell shovels for a living instead of fortune telling. There's a lot of stinky pooh every time you post your comments, and you suck at fortune telling.

The Celts are nothing like the Heat. They have 3 legit all stars with the oldest being 32. Shaq was a time worn old dude with a beaten body when he won his championship in Miami. Then DWade got hurt. Doesn't matter, b/c they won a ring. With an owner like Arison who's willing to hire the best and spend, they won't be bad for long.

Celts should be good for awhile, as will the Magic, Raptors, Hawks, Philly, and Bobcats. Chicago should be much better if they can resign their guys, get a good lottery pick, and of course, get a good coach.

Les BouleS on the rise in the East? Maybe with the hot air you are blowing. Many other teams are rising as well, even higher.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 2:33 PM

Arenas is a terrible fool, he really just needs to sit his mouth. Over the course of this year he has turned me off him more and more. Too cocky, too clueless, bitter because he's not on the court. Someone pull the plus on his blog, pronto.

Posted by: H8Arenas | March 31, 2008 2:36 PM

GM, yeah that Boston team has one and done written all over it.

But where did they get that guy Powe, he was actually looking pretty impressive when I saw them play. No Dwayne wade (to be sure) but no shabby really.

Posted by: g | March 31, 2008 2:37 PM

Bad typos: that was SHUT HIS MOUTH and PULL THE PLUG

Posted by: H8 Arenas | March 31, 2008 2:38 PM

"

Posted by: H8Arenas | March 31, 2008 02:36 PM "

It's all a game to Gilby.

As quoted, "Drama sells." He's creating fake news by making 180 degree turns on his.

And, the press is feeding off this because they need to fill newspapers. It goes hand in hand.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 2:38 PM

Why does it not surprise me that no one on here, including Ivan Carter, has mentioned that Arenas has made this very claim several times before--that he will take less money in order to help the team sign (or in this case, re-sign) top players.

DC sports fans have the shortest memories of any fans on the face of the earth, so the fact that everyone is acting like Arenas taking less money is a new idea from him is not surprising to me.

Posted by: Barno | March 31, 2008 3:16 PM

42-45 wins with their best player out all year. Somebody here has been predicting the Wizard's demise all season. Anybody that's watched a little NBA ball knows that take the best player off ANY NBA team and they'll struggle to stay above .500.

Age is only a number, some players are Old beyound their years. I've always liked Ray Allen, no matter what his birth certificate says the guy's an old player. Garnett has got alot of NBA miles on him and Peirce isn't far behind.

And you're talking about that mess in Chicago being BETTER then the Wizards. The players that they publicly dangled for first Gasol and then Kobe can't wait to jump ship fast enough. So they're going to bring in another lottery rookie to put in the lineup with their fashion model of a big man whom the rest of the team wants to choke. And they traded for Larry "Unbreakable" Hughes who's always good for 40-50 games weather you need him or not.

Do you ever follow what's going on in this league before you post your rants? The Hawks and 76's rising I can buy to a point, but the Bobcats? You rant about Gil's two knee operations, the Bobcats are pinning their hopes on May who hasn't played since his Carolina days, Morrison who was a step, slow and then he got hurt, then they signed a guy to play his position. And resigning Okafor who probably will get more then he's worth.

But that's ok, they've got MJ running things and judging by the mess he left here is really got a plan in place. I wonder if him and Charles have started working out yet...

Stick to posting all things Gilby, when it comes to knowing a thing about what's going on in the rest of the league Your ignorance really shows...

Posted by: GM | March 31, 2008 3:25 PM

I'm so glad that Les BouleS are thriving without Gilby. With Gilby out of the lineup, this team has shown tougher defense, better chemistry, and more team work. Can't ask for more.

Gilby, we don't need you.

GM'er, you're a doofus, and an ignorant one at that. Keep shoveling poop. You were born to do it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 3:48 PM

This forum is a joke. We are so use to the Wizards being bad that we are happy that they are "good" now. Don't get me wrong, they are a good team. But they have been good for 4-5 seasons now. Good is no longer good enough. I'd like to see them advance in the playoffs. I'd like to see them get to the Finals. I'm no longer satisfied with Good b/c they have 3 all stars and they SHOULD be good. But for them to make it to the next level, thats why we are criticizing their play and coaching. I think we are so use to them being bad, their "Good" play is good enough for us. I'm sick of good and I want great. That includes making good decisions down the stretch and getting players like Haywood to show up in the 4th quarter and OT.

Posted by: Bobby Knight | March 31, 2008 4:50 PM

Honestly, Antawn, Caron, and Gilbert together are the most entertaining team players in the league. Add on to that the fact that they went to the second round two years ago. I really think that they could be one of the best teams in the league, especially since the bench has had so much game time this year. Anyway, I hope Wizards fans aren't the ones putting comments against Arenas up right now b/c we've had more success with him than the franchise has had in 20 years.

Posted by: Matt | March 31, 2008 5:31 PM

The best show in the NBA is still the Suns. Nash alone provides clinics that are above anything Les BouleS can offer.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 31, 2008 5:50 PM

Gosh, I haven't posted on here in a very, very long time but have followed the team these past number of months therefore I guess I would be very neutral and objective. IMO the Wiz have been playing very well of late.Especially considering their West coast road trips. Usually it was 1-5 or 2-4 but they ARE showing up and playing pretty well. I applaud Jamison and Stevenson - poor Daniels..he's kind of like Wade..eventually your body won't be able to tolerate all the falling etc. but they've done ok to me.

Didn't they kind of "hover" around 500 the past few yrs? You don't go from 500 to 629 in a few months especially missing an important part of your aresenal. So, To me) they're playing better team ball & Defense. They're surviving and thriving.

I completely congratulate the coaching staff for the defensive changes and coaching...They're gonna surprise some of you neh sayers. Don't know when but think they will. On to Denver..

p.s. I've been an old Nash/Suns fan but thought their move was idiotic...perhaps its just me but I can't imagine Shaq taking them anywhere - hopefully they'll surprise me. thanks everyone.

Posted by: Robin | March 31, 2008 6:25 PM

I like NY's potential as much as anyone, but to use him to dis DS or try to make him better than he is is laughable.

The guy has offense and offense only. Meaning only HIS offense. He is not even a passer. In fact, I've barely seen him throw a pass inside the three point line. DS has him beat on defense, toughness, leadership, passing, running the offense, and just about anything but one on one basketball skills. Get a clue about basketball before you come with that WEAK stuff!

Yeah, DS may get torched on occasion, but he also guards the other teams BEST offensive player most nights. Put NY on these players and see what happens. A daily massacre. Anyway, how did Kobe do last night? He didn't even outscore DS so I would say he won his match up with the widely regarded best player in the game! dk, THAT is not being overrated my friend!

Posted by: Rob P | March 31, 2008 8:47 PM

Why is Pech getting roasted? He's barely played and he has had 2/3 games that show he has potential. If he is healthy next year and still has shown no improvement or whatever, then grill him. We're talking about a European rookie whom the players and coaches seem to like a lot. I think he may develop into a nice little weapon off the bench. I don't see all-star games in his future, but so what.

Posted by: Rob P | March 31, 2008 9:18 PM

Hey guys, yeah gilbert says he would come back for less money, but wasn't it like last week when he told reporters "Dont even bother, im not playing this year again". Gilbert is a great guy, dont doubt that. But he deffently has a huge mouth, and says a lot of stuff he dosen't mean. Gilbert's a great player, and we would love to have him back next year in Washington, but the wizards have deffently proven they can play with or with out gilbert. These last few games, we have had outstanding performances by our younger players Darius Songalia, Rodger Mason Junior, and Nick Young. Also the constantly great playing by Caron and Antawn and the wizards new sharp shooter Deshan. Lets just worry about the play offs now, and hope for the best with Gilbert

Posted by: Lukas | March 31, 2008 11:21 PM

Chauncey Biillups is the best player in the NBA. He has been for the last 5 years. Gilbert is about the 3rd or 4th best player.

Posted by: God | April 1, 2008 1:51 AM

My real name is DC Fairy88.

Everyone knows why: I luv Gilby!

Sashay!

I am also known as Clewiston88, or "ClueLess."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 1, 2008 2:18 AM

My real name is DC Fairy88.

Everyone knows why: I luv Gilby!

Sashay!

I am also known as Clewiston88, or "ClueLess."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 1, 2008 2:33 AM

omg!!! lol omg!!! gil!!!

Posted by: zinal | April 4, 2008 5:48 PM

I HATE THE NAME GILBY

Posted by: gilby | April 7, 2008 1:57 PM

lhqgtnadw irfuewtd gxpae vnhbx vgrek zcar rjvo

Posted by: xmyoic mudyvck | May 13, 2008 12:48 PM

rbusvjol lmnuqjd dmhzqtk etxfglyvk aqbml mjkgpzn jalwtzn http://www.ahgc.vxblws.com

Posted by: peywckov udco | May 13, 2008 12:48 PM