Foul, Hard Foul Or LeBron Foul?

LeBron James shot 14 free throws on Saturday, three fewer than the entire Washington Wizards team, but Cleveland Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown believes that his superstar should be going to the line more. After the Cavaliers won 93-86, Brown talked about the "pounding" that James had to take.

He emphasized the word "pounding" by slamming his fist and shaking the table. Brown banged on the table so much, you thought he was going to go all Nikita Khrushchev at the United Nations and start slamming his shoe next.

Brown didn't let up on Sunday afternoon as he continued to challenge the officials to look more closely at James's drives to the basket - and the call the fouls (Of course, Brown probably doesn't want the officials to watch James's feet on those same drives, but oh well). He said referees too often ignore it when James gets slapped because he's just too big.

Hard foul or LeBron foul? (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

"LeBron is so strong, quick and athletic that when he drives, he gets hit all the time," Brown said. "That's something you hope the officials take a look at it. Teams like Washington are saying that they'll foul him. Don't wait and let it be a real, real hard foul and it gets out of hand and you have a scuffle on your hands. Make it a clean game."

"If he gets bumped, call it a foul," Brown said. "Don't call a bump or something else on Gilbert [Arenas] or somebody else, just because they're smaller but disregard it with LeBron because it doesn't dislodge him. Unless he gets absolutely clobbered, they are not going to call it."

The difficulty for officials is that a light tap on the wrist or elbow won't do anything to disrupt James's path to the basket. He really is strong enough to take a shove and keep charging toward the basket. You know the old saying, no harm, no foul. Brown went on to compare James to Shaquille O'Neal in that they are both big guys who take a physical beating each game. Aside from the times Cleveland plays O'Neal, Brown said, he feels "sorry for Shaq."

James said he is built for the physical contact, but added that "it's a difference between a foul, a hard foul and you know LeBron James is coming to the basket and you just hammer him."

"I think we can all notice that now," he said. "If that's what their game plan is, I have to continue to get back up."

Cavaliers forward Ben Wallace, a physical specimen who has handed out a hard foul or two in his career, finally brought some perspective to the complaints. Asked if there is a such thing as a LeBron foul and a regular foul, Wallace scoffed.

"A LeBron foul?" Wallace said. "A foul is when the ref blows the whistle. If the ref don't blow the whistle, it ain't a foul."

It will be interesting to see how the game is called. The Wizards didn't take many free throws because they refused to attack the rim.

James Growing - And Shrinking?
James loves to mention that he is 6-feet-9, 260 pounds, although he is still listed at 6-8, 240. After the game on Satuday, James said that he is still growing, which is probably contributing to his back troubles.

You probably didn't notice, but for the early part of the fourth quarter, James had his back stretched out by assistant athletic trainer Mike Mancias. He also hasn't practiced in several weeks so that he can have all of his energy for the game.

Yesterday, James had some fun with the media on Sunday when he asked about his size. Is he really 6-9, 260? "Naw, just last night," James said. "Last night, I felt real strong and overweight. I came down to my regular size today. I'm about 6-4, 215."

The James-Haywood Run-In

C'mon, Man. I'm a baller, not a fighter. (AP Photo/The Plain Dealer, Joshua Gunter)

Mike Brown on the Haywood-James altercation: "There was a foul, I thought, on Brendan. I don't know what Brendan was thinking or whatever. I just saw Brendan standing over him, in my opinion, too long. He doesn't have to pick LeBron up, but keep on going about what you're doing. Don't stand there and conversate with a referee over a guy like that. That's not right for anybody to do. And it could cause tempers to flare. It might not have been malicious, but he shouldn't have stood over him that long."

You probably remember the elbow James delivered to Andray Blatche's face in the first half, shortly after Blatche busted him the mouth on a drive. It went basically unnoticed in these parts, but someone asked James about it on Sunday: "It wasn't intentional. Me being one of the best drivers and creaters and and-one playmakers in the game, I was definitely trying to get the and-one and I just got him on the chin. I know he felt it, but it wasn't anything intentional."

By Michael Lee |  April 21, 2008; 6:20 AM ET
Previous: Arenas has sprained right wrist, expected to play | Next: Arenas wears wrap but looks fine

Comments

"Me being one of the best drivers and creaters and and-one playmakers in the game".
There's a huge difference between arrogance and confidence. This is why I liked Michael, Bird, Magic, Tiger etc. and why I can't stand LeBron. The best shot of the night wasn't Gilbert's 40 footer. It was the forearm to LeBron's mouth that AB gave him. I hope like he1* that we can shut this guy up by eliminating these guys.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 7:21 AM

The game was clearly called fairly. Lebron's right though. There were many fouls that weren't even defensive fouls. For example, Lebron drove to the hole on one play, and all Caron did was grab him. No play on the ball whatsoever.

Posted by: Titus | April 21, 2008 7:29 AM

Titus, this happens every game. Caron grabbed him ad held him so he wouldn't get hurt. This game was not called even close to fairly. Big Z takes 4 steps every time he puts the ball on the floor. I have no problem with the officiating as long as we get the same calls here in DC. Home court advantage should mean something and it gives the last weeks of the season meaning.
EJ is right, however. We have to force the issue by driving to the hole. Gilbert is the only guy on our team besides AD that does this. We'll be in a free throw deficit in every game and just have to hope that we can hit our jumpers.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 8:28 AM

That Mike Brown press conference was right from the Pat Riley playbook. Cleveland is a physical defensive team, and like Riley's good defensive teams, they are always initiating contact -- a bump here, a grab here -- and they dare the refs to distinguish between a "bump" and a "foul." Then, Brown demands that his superstar get the white glove treatment -- i.e., for the refs to call those little bumps that he is hoping the refs won't call against his team.

Bottom line -- the round to the second round for the Wizards isn't through the three point line. It's through the lane -- they need to attack.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:56 AM

Words cannot describe how much I loathe lebron james and his whiny, cry baby, drama queen, ref protected circus - he makes me sick

Posted by: Standup | April 21, 2008 9:12 AM

coach brown and lebron are the biggest whiners.

Posted by: mike | April 21, 2008 9:19 AM

Lebron is the least likable superstar in sports today. He has been treated like royalty since he laced up sneakers. Lebron isn't overated. He is just a nail chewing, fake tough guy scowling, extra step taking whiner.

On the other hand, the Wiz need to beat this team. No excuses this year.

Posted by: Jeff (NYC) | April 21, 2008 9:27 AM

All things considered, the defensive game plan worked fairly well. We forced James to work to score we and cut off the other guys. Holding this team to 40% shooting should get us wins most nights. I think EJ may want to look at using GA differently in terms of when he gives him minutes. I'd use GA in the 1st and 2nd quarters sparingly and then have him close out the games strong. Having a guy with fresh legs in there in the 4th quarter who draws fouls, gets respect from the refs and shoots 3's under pressure oughtta provide us with some decent results at the ends of games.
More observations: I need to see CB abuse Wally. He should NEVER settle for jumpers with that guy on him. I realize that CB is a jump shooter but Wally should have been on the bench with 3 fouls 2 minutes into the game. Isolate if we have to. CB is a willing passer (when he's not turning it over) and can make them pay.
Anyone doubting BTH should realize that we need the big guy to win it. Keithinator, BF#1, he played like we knew he could, didn't he? He was the best player on the floor in the first quarter. Sure, Z had his points but Z was 5-11 and he's the second scoring option on their team.
All we need to do is steal one game from them and we're in good shape. Let's hope GA's wrist is ok.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 9:31 AM

mr. potato head needs to stop crying... hes up 1 game

Posted by: wiz0 | April 21, 2008 9:47 AM

Jeff I totally agree that he is not overrated. He's probably the only guy in the lague that could legitimately average a triple double if he tried to do it. (maybe Kidd, too). When DS said that he was overrated, he probably should have said that he's overhyped. It's too difficult to like him. A little humility would do him some good. The one thing about Jordan was that he wasn't coddled all through high school. Jordan and Bird knew they were good and talked trash but you could still identify with them and want them to succeed. I REALLY love seeing LeBron fail. I still like our chances a lot but even if we were to lose this series, I'm cheering for anyone who faces the Cavs.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 9:52 AM

Where were the hard fouls in LBJ's last 2 drives to the basket? They need to let him earn his points in the FT.

I'm sick and tired of the media looking at this as a series between the good (Cavs) versus the bad (Wizards). It seems that the Wiz are the only ones who are trash talking and dishing hard fouls.

And the foul called on BTH when Wally charged to him was a joke! The ref whisled BEFORE the contact!!! After a big 1st quarter from BTH I was expencting him to play above 35 mins. Surprise that he played 30 again!

Posted by: Fortune Teller | April 21, 2008 9:53 AM

Overhyped is the exact word to describe Lebron. Remember the first year we played them in the playoffs? The Wizards arrive in Cleveland and see a gigantic poster with Lebron and "We are ALL Witnesses". Gil made a statement later that "this is Lebron's show and we are all just witnesses." So true. That is when the trash talking started - and when Lebron "interrupted" Gil at the free throw line it escalated.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 10:04 AM

Wow, that picture is funny. Looks like Haywood is doing "karatai kid" imatation!

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 21, 2008 10:05 AM

How about Lebron intentionally slamming Antonio Daniels across the face to prevent him from getting up after he had slipped and Cavs stole the ball? Anyone see that? Letravel cries too much.

Posted by: rgz | April 21, 2008 10:27 AM

Lebron in no way is overhyped or overrated. He is the real deal, we all know that if we put aside our bias. But man is he becoming more and more dislikable. He and Cavs including Coach Brown are acting as if they are the victims. As if they aren't getting any calls and the Wiz are getting all the Calls. Man i'm hating the Cavs more and more. WTF!!! Lebron trying to act like the Wiz are the ones iniating the trash talk and they are just sitting back. Ooooh he's making me sick.

When Lebron first came into the league he was likable and humble. Kobe was the most hated superstar, now it's becoming Lebron.

Anyway, I hope Arenas' wrist is ok. They really need to steal this road game tonight. If they steal this game they are in good position. Arena's legs will be better by game 3 and 4 at home. Arenas' minutes in the 2nd half need to be split up instead of playing 17 minutes straight. Maybe 7-8 in the 3rd qtr and 7-8 in the 4th to finish the game.

And what the FU{K is up with CB. I know he might be injured, but atleast try to drive on Wally. I don't think I saw him once try to be aggressive with Wally. The wiz need to make the Cavs pay for starting Wally.

Go Wiz and Caps tonight!

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 21, 2008 10:29 AM

Are you kidding me? This is comical, nobody in the league gets the type of treatment that James gets and they have the audacity to complain?

Posted by: Jason | April 21, 2008 10:34 AM

Mike, who's Nikita Khrushchev?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 10:49 AM

It's a joke about Mike Brown complaining about LeBron not getting enough fouls called when he drives....there were countless times when he traveled and nothing was called. Give me a break - he's constantly pushing off or initiating contact on the offensive end. The elbow to Blatche was a cheapshot that would have been called on anyone but Lebron who is a big baby....I hope they foul him harder so he gets thrown off his game.

I think CB3 and AJ need to drive to the basket more to draw fouls. Szerbiak has no lateral movement and Wallace is too slow to stay with Jamison. The more we go the hole, the more they'll call fouls on the Cavs. Lets hope GA's wrist isn't an issue that affects his shot tonight and we get some more bench scoring from Mason and Songaila who shot poorly on Saturday.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 21, 2008 10:49 AM

What a bunch of crybaby fans that read these blogs. Have you ever lost a game or is it always the refs fault?

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 10:51 AM

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 10:51 AM

You have to excuse me. I am a pathetic fan in Cleveland without any championships so I try to go to other city's websites and vent.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 10:59 AM

This is ridiculous. Give me a break. Everyone is saying how much they hate LeBron. How can you hate someone you don't know? You say that he seems arrogant, well I think he is truthful. There is nothing that is worse than someone knowing that they are good, but pretending they didn't notice just how good. LeBron is a fantastic basketball player, why shouldn't he be able to recognize that? For the most part, I thought the game was called fairly. But, if the refs would have called that first shot to the mouth that James received, then I think that the game would not have gotten as physical as it did. All in all, LeBron does make most of his plays look easy. And many times, he gets fouled and you don't even notice it because of how strong he is. But nevertheless, he shouldn't be punished because of that.

Posted by: TW | April 21, 2008 11:03 AM

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 10:51 AM

I think it was the Cleveland coach complaining about non-calls. All we are saying is that Lebron likes to cry about imagined fouls on him, when he actually initiates a whole lot of other hard fouls on other folks. As for being "disrespectful", how respectful is he when a much smaller player is trying to get himself up off the floor and Letravel smacks him across the chest and face so that the guy can't get going? Disrespect my ass crybaby!

Posted by: rgz | April 21, 2008 11:08 AM

This much I know: Lebron is a crybaby who scowls at everything he does not like. How likeable is that? He cries about refs not calling fouls on him, yet grins evilly when he gets away with doing a hard foul himself. Of course you can't see that, but I do. Even if he is the best player on the court today, he still begs to be hated.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:11 AM

Surely every team as been the victim of bad calls....but you can never blame it on the refs because there's always something you could point to that the players or coaching staff could have done better.

I'm so glad I'm on the side of the team getting hell in the media for talking trash as opposed to the side of the whining babies.

Did LeBaby really have to roll on the ground that long for getting a boo-boo to his lip?

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 21, 2008 11:13 AM

You say that he seems arrogant, well I think he is truthful.
Posted by: TW | April 21, 2008 11:03 AM

Truthful? He would be truthful if he said:

"That bunny hop, stop, step, hop thing I do in the lane... it's travelling! And I do it all the time, but the officials never call it."

or if he said: "Sometimes I fall to the floor for no reason, and glower at the referee to try to get a call the next time down the court."

or if he said: "Yeah, I started the whole Stevenson thing. I said some disparaging remarks about him to Drew Gooden. Apparently Stevenson found out..."

or if he said: "Yes, I'm overhyped."

THEN , and only then, would I admit that Queen James is truthful.

Posted by: Rook | April 21, 2008 11:15 AM

Eddie needs a couple of the bench guys to sacrifice their bodies tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:20 AM

LeBron is a great basketball player. That said, he gets away with more crap than anyone I've ever seen. His whole attitude, every single time a foul is called on him (especially charging, which he does a lot), is HOW DARE YOU CALL A FOUL ON ME! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?

You can see it etched into every line on his face. He absolutely believes he's privileged. And why? Because he is! The refs protect him every game. That's why he can intentionally elbow Blatche in the mouth and get away with it. That's why in the previous game, when Nick Young dunked on him, LeBron clubbed him on the head so hard that it could have knocked Young out. No call.

That's why many people (not just in Washington) don't like him; you can respect his game and still think he's a spoiled superstar. Great, great, transcendent player? Yes. Whiny brat? Yes.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 21, 2008 11:21 AM

I think you'll see a different Wiz team today. They'll attack the basket mercilessly. And they had better do it all game long. They have the players to do it; they just need to develop the mentality to keep doing it, especially in the 4th. Look at the matchup problems we present: Jamison, Arenas, Butler, Blatche can basically get to the basket whenever they want (assuming Wally on Caron).

If they do that, they could grab a big win that will give them confidence coming back home.

Git 'er done, boys.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 21, 2008 11:29 AM

I would like to see more of these myself. Perhaps DMAC could step in for a choice moment? Deliver a subtle, or not-so-subtle, communication?

Posted by: Hard Fowl | April 21, 2008 11:35 AM

If I were Eddie I would respond to Mike Brown's comments in a manner that Phil Jackson would. Eddie should say "Mike is right, the officials need to make the call to eliminate the hard fouls. They should start by calling the traveling on LeBron/LeTravl and on Big Z. If those calls are made appropriately, then there would be no hard fouling, because the play would be over long before it started!"

Posted by: bullets_0000 | April 21, 2008 11:42 AM

Question for Mike Lee: Did Mike Brown say "We will bury you!"?

Mark, if Caron was completely healthy, then I would agree with you that he should just completely bust Wally's sorry behind off the dribble and attack the rim.
But Caron is hurt and doesn't have his explosiveness and I think Caron is a bit worried about going to the rim, getting hit hard and hurting his hip more.
And the fact that Caron is not healthy enough to take advantage of the biggest mismatch in this series is the biggest problem the Wizards have right now.
And I'll say this again to the Wizards. DON'T BE CONCERNED WITH THE REFEREES!!!!! You have to drive the ball in there and go to the rim and the calls will come one way or the other. If the Wizards keep taking it in there, maybe they can get Z in foul trouble and then the Wizards can really go to town.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 21, 2008 11:47 AM

How soon before Lebron starts to refer to himself in the third person?

LJ: "Well, you know, Lebron James does what Lebron James has to do. If Lebron James, being the incredible physical specimen (6'9", 260 pounds) and natural scorer that he is, has to elbow a mutha in the mouth, then that's just what Lebron James must do. Lebron James would like to remind you, however, that the contact of Lebron James' elbow to that mutha's face was unintentional."

Posted by: satch | April 21, 2008 11:48 AM

bullets_0000, you make a good point. Eddie needs to start working the refs, the way Brown is. The traveling Cleveland does is so egregious, and obvious, that I'm really shocked it's not called more often. That stuff is way easier to see and call than a charge/block, which is much more of a judgement call.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 21, 2008 11:48 AM

I remember getting beat in every playoff series by the Bulls when the Cavs had Daugharty, Price, Hot Rod, and Nance. We had a better team than the Wizards are now. Won 57 games back to back and still watched the Jordan rules kill us every year. Your hatred for Lebron is understandable, but it does not take away from Lebron's greatness. If he played for the wizards, I doubt you'd be calling him Lebaby, or letravel. You'd be kissing his ass, and calling him what he is here, The savior.

Posted by: paulclevo | April 21, 2008 11:49 AM

...still watched the Jordan rules kill us every year. Your hatred for Lebron is understandable,

So, is this an admission that LeBron gets special treatment, the way Jordan did?

If your answer is yes, you're saying the Cavs have an unfair advantage. If that's the case, what's wrong with pointing it out?

If your answer is no, you're saying that "Hey, with Jordan, it *was* unfair. That's not the case with LeBron." In which case, Wiz fans might think your mention of the Jordan rules is just whining -- hey, the same thing Cavs fans are accusing us of doing now!

Posted by: Keithinator | April 21, 2008 11:55 AM

Your point about Caron is well taken George, but playing it safe and careful will only serve to get them bounced from the playoffs. Besides, I don't think the hip is the problem. It's his knee, which he banged two or three times in games and practice in a short period.

In any event, even at less than full mobility, he should still be able to drive around WallyWorld without much trouble. if he's too injured to contribute they way they need him to or playing it safe because he's worried about getting hurt, then he needs to sit his ass down and let someone else play, because he's hurting the team more than helping it.

Posted by: kalorama | April 21, 2008 12:04 PM

James ia a girl, not man enough to admit he insulted Stevenson, and not man enough to apologize when he is wrongly disrespectful.

Stevenson raised the stakes again, by telling the Washington Post that James said something personally insulting about him to former teammate Drew Gooden, who passed it on to friend Stevenson, which is the source of his bad feelings.

Stevenson told the Washington Post last month that his comments and anger at James came from a remark passed along to him by former Cavs forward Drew Gooden. Stevenson said it was both personal and basketball related.

James denied he said something personal:

"I never said anything personal about him, nothing about his family or anything that would tick somebody off like that," James said. "I don't know what was said to him. I've never said anything personal about anybody. Now, did I say something about his basketball game? Maybe. About him personally? I don't go that far."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 12:10 PM

Kal, I agree with you about Caron. That's why, if Jordan can stomach it, he should consider playing Young some in this series. While he's still a rookie, he can get his own shot anytime, and the Cleveland defenders would be helpless against his combination of shooting and drives to the basket.

It's also why I was screaming at the TV, when Blatche was playing C, "give Blatche the ball!" He gives up a ton of size against Z, but Z is hopelessly outmatched against Blatche on defense. Andray could get any shot he wanted against Z. I was very surprised the Wiz didn't take advantage when Blatche was at center.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 21, 2008 12:13 PM

I can see the point behind what your saying Keith, but I think the answer to why Jordan didn't do it is pretty simple.

Mistakes.

The Wizards' margin for error was very slim, and between their propensity for silly fouls and turning the ball over by driving into traffic with their heads down (to say nothing of Young's nonexistent defense), Jordan probably figured (rightly in my estimation) that the downside of having them on the floor for extended minutes outweighed the upside. If the Wiz had gotten blown out by 30, then I could see going to Plan B (or C). But the fact is, the game was there for the taking.

I think the adjustment they really need to make is to get more ball and player movement to create more natural shots for Mason outside and Songaila rolling to the basket, the way they did down the stretch of the regular season when those two were really effective. They need offense from those guys, but in order to get it, they need to play the right offensive sets to create openings.

They also need Stevenson to not revert to last season's playoff form of 19% FG shooting.

Posted by: kalorama | April 21, 2008 12:24 PM

paulclevo, thanks for being civil in our blog. I can understand why you guys like him up there since he saved the franchise from mediocrity. Most of us feel similarly about Gilbert (but to a smaller extent). We understand that he's going to get calls...all superstars do. We also recognize how great a player he is. I happen to think that he's so good that he doesn't need to get help from the refs. He could score 30 without traveling. I think our major problem with him is his attitude. The comments that he makes are arrogant. Whether he's the best player in th league or not (and he is definitely top 3 or 4), the guy comes off as a pr*ck.
BTW, stick around. You'll see that there are folks in this Wiz blog who DO NOT like Gilbert. Not too much arse kissing here, buddy.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 12:27 PM

Labron is an excellent basketball playing wimp!. If he cannot play the game like a superstar, that is, take the whipping and get up like a man, then sit down and shutup. Let AI teach how to be a man on the court. Someone much smaller but with ten times the heart!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 12:29 PM

I'm with you, Keith. I don't see the Cavs bigs giving us that much trouble. That said, does Songaila need a lot of minutes? Probably not. We might be better served by getting Nick Young in the game. Granted, he won't get ANY calls. If it's a close play, it'll be called a charge. It's worth the risk. We get solid minutes of mistake-free play from Songaila. We may get a couple of good drives to the hoop and scoring from Nick. I say give Nick a chance and eliminate potential mistakes by instructing him to try to score. Most mistakes are made when trying to pass the ball. Let him try to create his shot a few times and see what happens.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 12:31 PM

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 12:27 PM

I totally agree with your take on Lebron

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 21, 2008 12:31 PM

I sure do hope that BTH is in the game everytime Z in because Andre and and Songalia sure can't guard him. I believe that's when the Cavs are most lethal when they give it to Z in the low post and then kick out for the 3 or a drive from LBJ.

As for AJ missing those open shots in the 4th, I believe he just got tired in the end. EJ needs to experiment a few things like what was said the previous post in giving NY some mins and maybe he can spark the non-existant bench (aside from GA) or try BTH and AB together. It works everytime in the regular why not try it in this series.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | April 21, 2008 12:34 PM

I wouldn't call Lebron a wimp, but I definitely prefer Allen Iverson over him too. It's the playoffs - hard fouls should be expected.

The Wiz will win Game 2 tonight!

Posted by: peter | April 21, 2008 12:37 PM

Mark, I really don't think Young needs to be "instructed" to try to score (or not to pass) any more than he needs to be instructed not to stick his hand in an open flame. Some things are just a matter of instinct.

And mistakes come in all shapes and sizes, like trying to drive to the basket when there's no lane and getting called for a charge or getting the ball stripped in traffic, two mistakes that Young frequently makes.

Posted by: kalorama | April 21, 2008 12:37 PM

The problem with Lebron isn't how good he is or how often he has killed the wizards in the playoffs. It is his arrogance and how he tries to play innocent when asked who innitiated the back and forth war of words. He is incredibly smug. Just look at his face when the refs brought out he sixers and allowed the cavs to shoot free throws. Since his second year in the league I have disliked lebron more and more. The amount of media coverage he gets is far far far beyond any other player in the NBA. And he is not even in the conversation for MVP. It is absolutely unbelieveable.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 12:38 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but how does 6ft5in 218 pound Stevenson end up guarding 6ft9in 290 (or close) Lebron?

As far as the blatent traveling by Lebron and some other players, I can see the roots of it on today's schoolyard basketball courts. We used to be quick to yell WALK whenever an opponent took an extra step with the ball. I never hear anyone call it these days. We also dribbled palm down rather than the way players carry the ball palm up and then turning it over to release it in what passes for dribbling these days.

Posted by: browneri | April 21, 2008 12:42 PM

At first, I was ok with Eddie not calling out the Refs and pulling a Riley. But now Coach Brown has the audacity to try and get some leverage on the refs by calling them out. This is just absurd. Eddie needs to come out and respond in some way about the refs and their treatment of the Wiz. It doesn't have to be outrageous, just subtle. Wiz already have a disadvantage with the refs, now with Brown and Lebron crying, they might even have a bigger disadvantage.

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 21, 2008 12:43 PM

The refs totally kept cleveland in this game. We should have been up by 12-15 at half time but those rediculous calls cleveland got kept them in the game. It sucks when the refs are completely one sided.

Posted by: Mark | April 21, 2008 12:45 PM

Lebron will respect your team when they earn it.

Until then, keep crying.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 12:48 PM

Kal,

Agreed about Young's propensity for rookie mistakes. My main reasoning was that Stevenson/Mason were SO bad, what could it hurt at that time to put Young in and give him a try? The Wiz had 11 misses in a row. What have you got to lose at that point?

Yeah, he might give some up on defense, but as long as he's not guarding James or Z, the Cavs don't have any serious offensive threats.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 21, 2008 12:48 PM

Lebron will respect your team when they earn it.

Until then, keep crying.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 12:48 PM

We couldn't care less if Lebron respects us or not and what does that even have to do with anything we have said. We just want him to stop crying and making a scowl every time there is a call that goes against him. If only his father Greg Oden hadn't babied and coddled him so much, he might have been a more likable player.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 12:54 PM

You don't like him because he owns your team and doesn't respect it.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 12:55 PM

Lebron will respect your team when they earn it.

Until then, keep crying.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 12:48 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 12:56 PM

Keith,

Like I said, to me that's Plan B or C at this point. After only one close game, it's a bit too early to switch to panic mode. At this point, it makes more sense to stick with the game plan and assume that Stevenson, Mason, and Songaila won't continue to brick it. If that turns out not to be the case, then consider changes. But you don't switch everything up after one loss, esp. a game that they were in prime position to win anyway. After a game like this, small adjustments are what's called for, not wholesale changes.

Butler is a slightly different case. If he's physically unable to perform up to standards, then reducing his role/PT may become a necessity.

Posted by: kalorama | April 21, 2008 12:57 PM

You don't like him because he owns your team and doesn't respect it.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 12:55 PM

Once again I must get it through your head. Why would we want his respect. Nobody here respect him as a person. His skills are undeniably great and he is on the fast track to the hall of fame but he is becoming the most dislikable athlete of any sport.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 12:58 PM

I'm sure you're all great people and all. How can you judge a guy when he talks about b-ball to the media? When he talks about his skills, it's not like he's lying. He's one of the best players in the world.

As for your championship barbs, I can talk about the Wiz all I want. My team is better than them.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 1:00 PM

browneri, We know that LeBron can drive past anyone his height. Stevenson is on him to try to take away the drive and force him to shoot jumpers. We picked our poison, basically. Smaller quicker guys have a better chance than big slow guys.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 1:01 PM

Kal, I agree that there's a risk with Nick. I just figured it's worth a shot for 5-10 minutes a game. We'll know early on if it fails and we can then try something else. I know one thing...if these games continue to be one sided in terms of the FT attempts, we will definitely lose the series. I'm not sure we can defend the 'supporting cast' any better than we did. We absolutely have to get to the line AND get their bigs in foul trouble.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 1:04 PM

Lebron will respect your team when they earn it.

Until then, keep crying.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 12:48 PM

Queen James better be respecting the Wizards RIGHT NOW! Otherwise, he and the Travaliers will be on an extended Vacation in a week and a half.

And, no one here is "crying".

On the other hand, Mike Brown has to go to the media to whine about the hard fouls that the Wizards are putting on 'His Majesty'. THIS IS THE PLAYOFFS! Get used to it!!

Posted by: Rook | April 21, 2008 1:10 PM

ctown, your comments are welcome as far as I'm concerned but this is the deal.... LeBron beat us last year with our stars hurt. It's like saying we own the Cavs if we beat you guys without LeBron and Z. Two years ago, Haywood was getting only 25 minutes a game, Jared Jeffries was a starter and Caron was not an all star. Michael Ruffin was our defensive specialist, for goodness sakes. You might want to wait for the outcome of this series before you start planting any flags.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 1:11 PM

JSmith1209 (Less than a minute ago)
if 1 more player steps up and starts scoring consistantly with Lebron the series will be over before the Wizards can come up with any more trash talk. The Wizards had there chance and they choked, they couldn't get a field goal to save their life at the end of the 4th. Arenas hurt them bad at the end of game trying to take over, he is clearly out of shape and should not be trying to make plays towards the end of the game, if anything spotting up. Lets see if anybody steps up for the Cavs and see if they can end this in 4 or 5 games.

JudgeS4V46E (20 minutes ago)
wow whiz fans are crybabies. Just because the whiz try to hack the crap out of him and he retaliates once you guys sound like little girls. Whiz don't belong in the playoffs. sja11 (27 minutes ago) Report Violation | Ignore User and tom knott has been a hack since 3 years ago. He is a blatant homer who just hates on Lebron. And the washington times is basically a tabloid anyways sja11 (33 minutes ago) Report Violation | Ignore User how is he supposed to control his elbows when they tackle lebron on the way to the rim? I'm sorry if you're going to try and rough up a guy that is bigger and stronger than you, you're going to get hit.

JAYARE602 (38 minutes ago)
HE'S LEBRON MAN! I MEAN LEBRON MAN! HE'S GOD. HE'S THE GENERAL IN APOCALYPSE NOW! I MEAN HE'S LEBRON MAN. HE DOES NO WRONG! FIRST BLATCHE'S 1ST FOUL YOU COULD SEE HE WAS LOOKING AT THE BALL. HARD FOUL YES. FLAGRANT NO! LEBRONS ELBOW TOWARDS THE HEAD FLAGRANT!! HELL THE GUY GETS AN EXTRA STEP ON EVERY DRIVE. IF THE WIZ HIT ANY OF THEIR LAST TEN SHOT'S WHO KNOWS WHAT COULD OF HAPPENED?

xweasel3x (44 minutes ago)
Tom Knott is a joke. He should lose his job for being a total and complete hack and a homer. mobolly (1 hour ago) Report Violation | Ignore User Lebron should be suspended for that elbow. I mean an intentional elbow to someone's head? Given past precedent, I don't see how it's a question.

The other side of this is, what the heck are the Cavs/Brown thinking letting James do this stuff? He's way too important. Personally, if the Wizards are going to thug it up on James because they're not good enough to play real basketball against him (they're not), then pull a scrub off the bench and smack Butler, Jamison and Arenas in the mouth. I mean if Blatche can whack Lebron in the face, I think Dwayne Jones can do the same to Butler.

Also I did catch that Lebron mocking Stevenson move (I hate it when Stevenson does that), and it was funny--but it does go to the point that Lebron is way too into this trash talking thing.

Posted by: @espn | April 21, 2008 1:12 PM

Someone else makes another good point.. LeBron usually carries the ball when he dribbles. One reason he gets such a good first step is that he can crossover quickly because his hands are so big and he's carrying. A lot of guys do it, so I'm not singling him out. It's just something I noticed yesterday when he was dribbling with no one near him. Magic did it a lot,too.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 1:15 PM

I agree with that last sentence Mark, but I just don't see Young as a response. Young is just as much a jumpshooter as everyone else on the team. Playing him doesn't increase their odds of getting to the line, because he's not really an effective penetrator. On the occasions when he does try, he's just as likely to turn it over or commit an offensive foul as get to the line. It's really up to Arenas and Butler to balance that discrepancy. If their injuries impede them from doing that, the Wizards are going to be in trouble regardless of what else happens.

Posted by: kalorama | April 21, 2008 1:15 PM

Kal, you think CB can get to the line? I believe that CB has worked hard to make himself a great jump shooter but don't see him even really trying to get to the rim because he's undersized at the 3 and doesn't want his shot blocked. I hope he proves me wrong. With this Princeton offense, we should be getting cutters to the basket. Seems to me that this offense has morphed into something that caters to jump shooters, not cutters or slashers. We've all read how this is EJ's version of the Princeton O.

Posted by: mark | April 21, 2008 1:18 PM

PREDICTION: Wizards win Game 2

Posted by: Costa | April 21, 2008 1:18 PM

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 1:00 PM

Just checking, and I may be wrong, but when was the last time Cleveland has won anything in any sport. Please don't talk to me about your team being better.

Since the trade your team has been 500 and the only reason you still are in the playoffs is because you are in the east. Last time I checked, your team finished 2, that's right 2, games ahead of us. This is during a season when we missed our all stars a total of more than 80 games. That is an entire season. If it wasn't for the refs going back and checking for a foul using some dumb excuse for doing so, and they are not allowed to go back and check for a foul when the quarter is over unless there was a made shot, we would be the 4 seed because you lost to detroit and we would have actually played our players against orlando when they were playing for nothing.

Next our team has three legitimate all-stars and other than Lebron, nobody on your team would be picked ahead of them.

Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Mason, Stevenson, Young, Blatche, Young, Haywood

Just a list of Wizards player who have had 25 points at least once this season. Balanced scoring anyone

Lebron, Ilgauskus, Hughes

Just a list of Cleveland players who have scored more than 25 points at least once this season. Oh and just so you know, you don't have Hughes anymore.

So don't give me this junk about Cleveland being the better team when up and down the lineup WE ARE THE BETTER TEAM.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 1:20 PM

"Kal, you think CB can get to the line?"

Butler got to the line about 5 times per game and shot 90% in the regular season, so yeah.

Posted by: kalorama | April 21, 2008 1:21 PM

EJ NEEDS to respond to this. Believe it or not this statment will have a huge advantage to the Cavs. It seems that Mike Brown is outcoaching Eddie in and out of the court.

Posted by: RM | April 21, 2008 1:22 PM

JSmith1209 (Less than a minute ago)

OK as stated above and I know that this was not you but the problem with Cleveland is that there is nobody else on that team. Gooden used to kill the Wizards, he's gone. Hughes shut down Arenas or whomever he guarded and he's gone. Man your GM should be GM of the year. Thumbs up.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 1:24 PM

In case you haven't noticed, despite all the meaningless junk you just posted...the Cavs have beaten you seven times in a row in the playoffs and lead this series 1-0. And if the Cavs are only in the playoffs because they're in the East...what does that make the Wiz?

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 1:27 PM

I think it's funny the Cleveland coach said he thought LeBron was playing for the Browns the way he was getting hit... I would have said the same thing... Except I thought LeBron could be playing for the Browns the way he runs with the ball.

"He has the most rushing yards in the NBA."

A fast reporter coulda caught him with that... would have been youtube GOLD!

Reporter: Coach are you saying LeBron would make a good running back because of his impressive rushing stats?

Posted by: sodumb | April 21, 2008 1:29 PM

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 1:27 PM

I agree that the Wizards wouldn't have made it either although with a heathy team who knows. But 7 straight times, what does that matter now. The wizards are the better team, not were, are. Two years ago you were the better team and if it wasn't for Arenas choking who knows what would have happened. Last year cannot be counted although with the way Lebron played Cleveland was probably the better team but again that is not debatable either way. This year you are up 1 - 0. Yippie. You won your first home game. Congrats for doing your job. Oh but in game two, try to get a hand in the faces of the wizards who will tear Cleveland apart if they were to shoot half as well as they did during the season. 1 home win does not a series make. If you lose game 2 then guess what, you lose home court advantage. Oh how fickle the playoffs are.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 1:34 PM

"He has the most rushing yards in the NBA."

A fast reporter coulda caught him with that... would have been youtube GOLD!

Posted by: sodumb | April 21, 2008 1:29 PM

Lol, that would have been absolutely great

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 1:35 PM

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 1:27 PM

I need a new city to root for. My city can't win a championship. Not only the Cavs but all of our sports team. I know it's a sad and pathetic city, so you have to understand why I try to rile up fans from other cities.

Lebron is our last hope and he's opting out in a few years because he knows how pathetic this city is. Now do you understand why I'm so desperate and posting on your site?

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 1:46 PM

I see your point about the knee Kalorama, and I hope EJ says exactly what you said to him. Play your game, which includes getting to the rim, or sit if you can't do that. Caron playing the jump-shooting game is letting Saloon Door Wally off the hook and that can't continue.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 21, 2008 1:46 PM

I'd contend that every sports team in Cleveland is better than it's Washington counterpart.

Posted by: C-town | April 21, 2008 2:19 PM

I definitely did not think this game was officiated well. Forget all the walks, the first half is when the refs really screwed up. When we went up 30-19, the refs basically gave them back the game. And what was up with Jamison getting a T and thus the Cavs getting a free throw, that was BS.

Gilbert also couldn't get a call to save his life.

For the most part though the officiating was ok in the second half, the Wizards just couldn't close down the stretch.

I think the Wizards now know what it takes to beat this team and, barring any egregious interference from the officials, I see us blowing the Lebrons out in game 2.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 2:27 PM

You want bad officiating?
What the heck happened when Wally drove sideline and then threw himself into Haywood like a torpedo. Haywood immediately backpeddled making for almost no contact, yet the refs blew a foul seemingly before Haywood even touched Wally. Those were crucial points.

Furthermore, yes, Z takes 4 steps EVERY time he is down low with the ball. It's ridiculous. And Lebron mimicking Stevenson after he made a play while looking directly at DeShawn. Are you serious? Where's the technical. Anyone who thinks the officiating in that game was fair is off their rocker. Yeah we maybe got away with a foul when Blatche smacked James, but they got more than enough calls to make up for that missed one.

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 2:31 PM

Posted by: Alex | April 21, 2008 2:31 PM

Yeah, Blatche got away with that one.... but did you see LeBaby pouting and holding his lip for like 10 minutes after it happened? Since he's never been touched before, that "hard" foul came as a shock to him.

Then he decided to throw an elbow at Blatche's chin.... where's the Technical on that one? In the NBA, an intentional elbow is cause for ejection!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 3:00 PM

Posted by: | April 21, 2008 3:00 PM

Oh yeah right.... like the referees are gonna throw Lebron James out of the game!?!? Not gonna happen,...

He could bring a gun on the court, and shoot Haywood in the next game, and Haywood would be called for a blocking foul.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 3:02 PM

"And Lebron mimicking Stevenson after he made a play while looking directly at DeShawn. Are you serious? Where's the technical."

Technicals are called when players taunt the crowd with gestures. Not each other. Ask Richard Jefferson and Dikembe Mutumbo.

Posted by: 54 | April 21, 2008 3:09 PM

LeBron is turning into Dwayne Wade with his crying and facial expressions every time he gets fouled, but I think there is some serious validity to that fact that he gets HAMMERED when he gets fouled. He gets fouled more than any other player in this league. Maybe half get called. Mike Brown's press conference pulled a page from the Pat Riley playbook, and why shouldn't he? That is his job. This is a political game. Always has been. Act accordingly.

Who has the better team in the series? In my mind there is no doubt the Wizards do. (This just happens to be the opinion of every ESPN analyst too.) I was very nervous about this series. Gilbert, Jamison and Caron against, Lebron, Wally and Ben Wallace. Are you kidding me? You all can go on to blame the refs all you want, but at the end of the day you have to know that you have the better team on the floor. We have the best player, but beyond that we have less than average roll players. If you keep getting into close late game situation you are going to keep losing. That is the time when superstars take over. And I am sorry, but you don't have one. Healthly or not "Agent Zero" is not a prime time player. Superstars are made by their performance in big games, not by how they self promote themselves on blogs. (My favorite commercial right now is the one where Gilbert hands off the NeverFlat Football to Vince Young. One self promoted superstar connected to another. Both finding life ending in a career of ultimate mediocrity.)

Watching the game on Saturday made me laugh. You should run the table against the Cavs, but you won't. Not sure what it is, but the Wizards just don't have it. Looks like another early golfing season in the nations capital.

Posted by: HugeCavsFan | April 21, 2008 3:11 PM

CAVS in 4

Posted by: Skip in VA | April 21, 2008 3:50 PM

Thats why I live in VA...

Posted by: Skip in VA | April 21, 2008 4:36 PM

CAVS in 4 a treat tonight. Yes I'm corny.

Posted by: Skip in VA | April 21, 2008 4:37 PM

I'm not Skip...I am skip's consciensce. And I'm corny, I mean Skip's corny.

Posted by: Skip's conscience in VA | April 21, 2008 4:40 PM

Skip...VA should get a team Skip. Matter of fact they did but skipped town because your town has fans like you Skip. I am Skip's conscience and I live in VA. Skip wishes he lived in DC but he's a bama. Aren't you Skip???

Posted by: Skip's conscience in VA | April 21, 2008 4:43 PM

YES I AM conscience.

WIZ IN 6

Arenas is top 5 player in the league

Posted by: Skip in VA | April 21, 2008 4:44 PM

Now where talking skip...SWADAGGGER!!!!

Posted by: Skip's conscience in VA | April 21, 2008 4:45 PM

There are alot of Cavs fans commenting on the Washington post blog especially new ones like Skip and his conscience. Its all good we are use to the haters.

As far as the fouls c'mon it comes with the territory. Its the playoffs people. The Wizards are just cutting down the and ones. Lebron may be the And 1 king but he wasnt on Saturday. I hate to see pitty pat and 1 fouls from Haywood and Blatche. THis is the playoffs make em count. Lebron shoots a mediocre percentage from the line so foul his ass. GIVE HIM A SOUTHSIDE MUGGING

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | April 21, 2008 5:00 PM

Lebron only got hit once for real, and that was by Blatche. He didn't even draw blood!!! All that rolling and crying and he didnt draw blood. Nash took one on the nose last year and got taped up and played. No rolling no crying and no pouting. MAN UP LEBRON!!! The only MAN Cavs have on their team is Wallace and he said it best "a foul is when the Ref blows his whistle."

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | April 21, 2008 5:06 PM

Man you guys are bitter... I can't imagine how much it sucks to have the best player in the league whip your team's butt year after year after ye-- wait, now that I think about it, there was this guy named Jordon who used to be pretty good. I remember hating his guts too and I remember feeling like everyone must hate that cocky sob just like you guys think about James -- but the fact remains, he's very well liked all over the world, and the only people that have any issues are the ones whose teams are getting beat.

I think its hilarious someone would say Gilbert is a top five player... Please tell me, if you were a GM, which one of these players would you be willing to give up for Gilbert: Kobe? Howard? Lebron? Garnett? Duncan? Chris Paul? Yeah, thats what I thought too, a big fat 0.

Anyway, I'm off to the game to watch my whining, cry baby of a superstar kick your sorry butts for the 8th straight playoff game.

Posted by: clevelandrocks | April 21, 2008 5:22 PM

Posted by: clevelandrocks | April 21, 2008 5:22 PM

I hope I don't have to watch and wait another 40+ years for a Championship too.

Posted by: clevelandrocks | April 21, 2008 9:58 PM

if you f*gs ask nicely, maybe we will let you forfeit the rest of the series so that you are not humiliated once again. were those professional basketball players wearing Bullets uniforms tonight, or was that the DeMatha High School team?

Posted by: clevelandrules | April 21, 2008 10:11 PM

good lord do you guys suck. Be careful what you wish for, Gilbert Uranus.

Posted by: cavsfan | April 21, 2008 10:14 PM

It would seem that after the humiliation of last night, the Wiz fans would be more careful about what they post. You guys look like the biggest babies and losers in the league.

The disrespect you show for a 23 yr old player, that has sent you home every single year, is really sad.

LeBron did what LeBron does; he dominated the game. And the two Wiz's who stupidly talked smack, bore the brunt of it.

Noticed no one commented on how LeBron shut down GA on defense.

Posted by: NYandy | April 22, 2008 1:44 PM

the wizards suck anyway
they can hack lebron all they want they will still lose the series.....

Graham & Hardin
NA IN

Posted by: graham | April 25, 2008 12:43 PM

WIZ FANS FACE THE MUSIC YOUR TEAM IS GARBAGE THEY ARE NOT GOOD AT ALL, AND THEY ARE TRULY OVERRATED. LEBRON IS AN ICON IN THE GAME AND FOR STEVENSON TO SAY SOMETHING LIGHT A FIRE UNDER LEBRON. YOU GUYS KNOW THE WIZ SUCK THATS WHY THEY WILL NOT WHEN THE SERIES. GOOD LUCK IN THE OFF- SEASON LOL

Posted by: Jakesatun | April 28, 2008 1:12 PM