Stunning turnaround

I just finished my stuff for tomorrow's paper and have to be right back here in the morning so I'll be brief: What an unbelievable turnaround from Monday night.

-The key was energy. The fans brought it, the players brought and kept bringing it.

-Roger Mason Jr. scoring seven straight at the start of the second quarter was huge.

-Seeing Soulja Boy doing his dance while waving his hand in front of his face ala DeShawn Stevenson while wearing a Stevenson jersey was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I mean, you can't invent this stuff. Until DeShawn called LeBron James overrated, Soulja Boy never knew who he was. And now this?

-No real information on Gilbert Arenas other than to say that he has a bone bruise in his left knee, it wasn't related to any specific play and he is day to day. Eddie Jordan sounded hopefull that he could go in Game 4 but we'll have to wait and see.

-The quote of the night comes from James, who was asked whether tonight adds to the LeBron/ DeShawn rivarly.
LeBron, who to his credit, handled the postgame presser with a sense of humor and class, kept a straight face. "There is no LeBron/DeShawn rivalry" Then, after hearing those words, he started cracking up. "There is no LeBron/DeShawn rivalry." It was hillarious in person.

By Ivan Carter |  April 25, 2008; 12:33 AM ET
Previous: Promising start, Arenas out | Next: Larry Hughes Back At Verizon Center

Comments

over-RATED

Posted by: Peter | April 25, 2008 1:17 AM

OVER-RATED

Posted by: Jason | April 25, 2008 1:20 AM

I'm a pathetic Cleveland Fan. Can I please post on your blog? It's the only we can feel good about ourselves and city. We get happy about small accomplishments such as a 2-0 series lead to over compensate for the fact that our pathetic city hasn't been able to win ANY sports Championships. On top of all that, Lebron will opt out and leave us just like the Browns did. We won't have anyone else's nutz to slurp on anymore. I hope you understand. You will be seeing us around your blog a whole lot, we got 50 years to make up.

I know you guys won big tonight, but I'm sure me and other pathetic Cleveland Fans will continue to come to your site and talk trash. We talk trash even though our city hasn't won any championships, so why stop even if we got our butts kicked by 36 pts.

Posted by: Cleveland Fan | April 25, 2008 1:22 AM

LeBron is right, there isn't a rivalry between him and DeShawn. And who cares, DeShawn answered the taunts and the criticism with a hugh effort tonight.
Good work DeShawn, I would like 3 more games liek that please.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 25, 2008 1:34 AM

Someone posted earlier that Barkley said "No offense to Gilbert, but Caron Butler is the best player on the team"

That is false, because Barkley just said "He loves Gilbert, but they need to get Caron Butler involved more because he is the 2nd best player on the team"

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:40 AM

It was me and it was not false. It is what he said earlier and now Barkley being Barkley said something slightly different! I hear BOTH comment.

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:03 AM

edit - "I heard BOTH commment"

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:04 AM

edit of the edit - "I heard BOTH comments."

LOL...sorry, my typing sucks at the moment!

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:05 AM

I think the bottom line is Barkley thinks GA is a good all-star player. But, his habit of dominating the ball and not involving his other highly skilled teammates is not ideal. When GA was at the height of his play and HYPE, Barkley and Kenny said (paraphrasing obviously), "Gilbert Arenas is a very good player, but he is not a great player bc he does not make his teammates better."

I completely agree!

It works occasionally when he is "Hibatchi", but, otherwise, it breaks down any semblance of offense and his defense has always been atrocious. So, you have a very hot and cold non championship caliber team, which is exactly what we were and are still to a certain extent. Although with GA missing all year, our style and defense has improved to where we should definitely NOT lose to the Cavs!

GA career assist average is 5.5. He's a PG. If he improves that by 2 assists a game, which he still is not even sniffing the top 10, he would be a MUCH improved player. I've just never seen anything that tells me that is going to happen.

Win game 4 and we have a series!!!

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:20 AM

I'll also say that part of Haywood's productivity increase this year is AD's and CB's willingness to dump the ball into Haywood in the paint or give him some tough passes on the move. GA treated Haywood like a pariah on the court. Maybe he just needed someone to have confidence in him?

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:26 AM

please watch the Lebron interview. I am not in DC to represent but we can't let Lebron talk trash about our fans and get away with i. We have to be even more relentless next game. Lets make this a real playoff atmosphere.

Posted by: ForThePeople | April 25, 2008 2:43 AM

That was White Noise phase one. Y'all were DeVastating!!

An excellent warmup for Phase Two: Merciless, White Hot Noise!!!

Posted by: Unlucky | April 25, 2008 3:53 AM

bring it, wizards fans. if i could only be there i would. caron and company should be lauded. the team needs us. bring it this weekend.

Posted by: thickman | April 25, 2008 5:50 AM

Sunday is large. Keep it up, Wiz team and fans! Even people in Poland are taking notice :-)

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 6:14 AM

Message from Wizards to Cavs "Anything you can do, we can do better!" O-Ver-rat-ed!!! O-Ver-rat-ed!!! O-Ver-rat-ed!!!

I watched the LeTravel interview, it's getting to him! Keep up the noise Wiz fans.

Posted by: ericmc1998 | April 25, 2008 6:33 AM

Agent Zero = Zero second round playoffs

Zero defense

Zero team ball

Do the math!!

Posted by: LK | April 25, 2008 6:35 AM

By the way, Mason and Blatche. HUGE! HUGE! HUGE! HUGE! HUGE! HUGE!

Great game, great energy. WOW. Loved it keep it up!

And a message to Nick Young. Just breath man. You can do it.

Posted by: ericmc1998 | April 25, 2008 6:40 AM

LK
"Agent Zero = Zero second round playoffs"

Is this your first year watching basketball?

read up on your history.

Our team didn't even have a playoff victory in over a decade before agent 0 came along. In his first playoffs here, he willed us to the second round, he almost did it again the next year. AND it WILL happen again this year!

LETS GO WIZ-ARDS!

Posted by: ericmc1998 | April 25, 2008 6:44 AM

As Zards fan I have the same feelings about LeBron as most of the bloggers. He walks, he whines, he is arrogant. However, though I love the entertainment of the OVERATED CHANT I think it is quite false. This 22-23 year old kid on a team that had less offensive talent than the other teams they beat in the playoffs last year took them to the finals. He is a leader. He is quite unselfish and gets his team to play defense.

All that said, I still hope we crush him and the Cavs on Sunday. If we win Sunday and do it decisively again then we could win the phsychological battle and get over the hump in game 5.

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 25, 2008 7:27 AM

BmoreRev, all those things may be true about LeTravel, we just can't let him know that. Shhhhhhhh

GO WIZ!!!!

Posted by: ericmc1998 | April 25, 2008 8:18 AM

You know, I have to admit that I kinda like "Crank Dat" after all.

Posted by: LeBron James | April 25, 2008 8:19 AM

Where did my swagger go?

Posted by: CButler | April 25, 2008 8:19 AM

I love that the Wiz won, but why start chanting overrated at Lebron?

Did anyone see him drop 50 on the Knicks when people taunted him, or drop 28 in the 4th qtr against the Raptors when people taunted him? Why make him mad? He is the only player on the Cavs that can beat us.

If you challenge him he plays incredibly hard to prove his point. If you let him be then he just plays. The Wi talked no trash before this game and won. Now, with one win the trash talking begins and the sleeping beast has been awoken again. Nice job

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 8:21 AM

I totally agree with Rev about LeBron, as far as being annoying and how talented the guy is. That being said, I like the overrated chant. The blowout loss will give LeBron all the motivation he needs to come out smoking in Game 4 with or without the overrated chant. I would much rather the crowd at Verizon chant at LeBron than be as silent as they usually are. If the Wiz play defense in Game 4 like they did in Game 3, it won't matter if LeBron is mad or not, the only thing that will matter is if his jumpshot is better.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 8:31 AM

Actually, LeBron scored 22 points on 10 of 19 shooting. Its the rest of the cavs that were terrible. Last night showed that if you can hold the rest of the Cavs down you can win

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 8:39 AM

I saw the same pregame show that RobP saw and it's true what Charles Barkley said.

It's true that Caron is the MVP of this team. When Gilby played serious minutes in Games 1 and 2, Les BouleS lost.

Lucky for the bone bruise, Gilby was out of most of Game 3, or otherwise Les BouleS would have lost Game 3 also. I hope the bone bruise doesn't heal in time for Game 4.

Question for Lebron is whether he can get Jay Z to come to one of his games. Shouldn't be a problem since Lebron will eventually play for him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 8:50 AM

Wow, watching the game it didn't seem like he shot that well.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 8:51 AM

Rob P, I disagree.

Gilby does make his teammates better. He makes his teammates better when he's on the bench.

When Gilby is on the bench, that means the rest of the teammates can get back to the serious business of trying to win games and back to the chemistry, teamwork, and defense that got them to where they are now in the playoffs.

Everybody contributed once Gilby left the game. They include BTH, Roger, and AB. Where would all those shots for these 3 guys come from had Gilby stayed in the game? They wouldn't have. Gilby would have taken all of those shots.

Now, we all have to wait until Sunday. Oh how the playoffs are dragged out. Game should be Saturday.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 8:54 AM

Last night, the Wizards went back to what made them successful in the regular season, and it worked. They've got to keep playing that tight team defense, with solid doubleteams and guys rotating to close out on shooters.They don't have to stop LeBron to win, as long as they can contain him and keep him from getting into the lane for dunks and and-1s, and make the other guys take contested shots late in the clock. And they've got to hit the defensive boards hard, so that Sideshow Bob doesn't keep possessions alive and get them second-chance points. On offense, they've got to be patient and run the Princeton, hit the open looks and go to the basket hard on high screens.

Cleveland probably isn't going to play that bad again. They're a good team built around a superstar player, but they're beatable.

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 8:57 AM

After last night's game, let's hope that we can close the book on the BS about the refs being biased.

Cavs had 30 fouls called against them. Les BouleS had 17. If you're a stats nerd, you'll notice that Les BouleS got out rebounded 41 to 36, but because of their D, got 13 steals vs. 4 steals by the Cavs.

Not a coincidence that the D got tougher once Gilby went out, and Les BouleS went on a 15 point run when he left.

EG has noticed that the team can win without Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:04 AM

I give huge props o Gilbert for trying to play last night though in pain. To me the issue with Gilbert is not as simple as folks think. He is somewhat complex fellow. When he is determined to play facilitator and pick his spots the team is much better. Last night, maybe because of his injuries, we saw he was in the "facilitator mode" before he had to leave the game. Problem is that sometimes when he is in good health he jumps too infrequently into "takeover mode." This is when the team is cold and needs to stay in a game or he needs to close a game. But in takeover mode the ball movement stops, as Barkley mentioned. There are parts of games when he needs to do that. The problem as I see it is that he doesn't always read the moment accurately. I don't know if it is experience, maturity or what it is.

The bottom line is that the team with a Gilbert that is functioning correctly can go very deep. With Brenden playing like a man we have a presence in the middle. We can beat Cavs without Gilbert but Celtics and Pistons would be too much to ask.

That's just one man's opinion.

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 25, 2008 9:08 AM

If GA is able to play in game four, I would go back to bringing him in off the bench, but even more selectively. For example, if they've got Boobie Gibson in there, put Gil in for six-seven minutes and let him create a matchup problem. Even with a bad knee, he can still post up on Boobie and hit 15 footers, or see over him to hit guys cutting to the hoop. Then get him out of there before he gets tired, like he did at the end of game 1.

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 9:09 AM

I would save the Celtics and Pistons talk until the series is at least tied. The fact is that if the cavs win Sunday they can close the series out at home

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 9:10 AM

I'm annoyed at all this crap people are talkin about Gilbert. Come on the guy is hurt not even 100% and trying to play. How much he plays, and how effective he can be is based on the coaching staff, and not him. They need to put him in situations where he can be successful with his limited abilities right now.

I guarantee you next year once fully healthy he's going to be unstoppable. He really isn't a ball hog, and I think he can play the team game, he just wants to win, and if anything he's playing badly right now because he badly wants to help and be a part of the team. So let's encourage this guy. Once he gets healthy, and with the team game we developed in his absence, the Wizards are gonna be a force in the Eastern conference.

Posted by: Arun | April 25, 2008 9:18 AM

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 9:19 AM

My son and I started the Overrated chant in section 411 last night and the guy behind us made a comment about getting Letravel mad...I'll tell you guys the same thing I told that guy...WE AINT SCARED OF LETRAVEL

Posted by: LightAgent | April 25, 2008 9:42 AM

Gilby is in a "facilitator mode" right now because his bum knee is making him a few steps slow and he can't get any lift when shooting. Thus, he's resorting to passing.

When and if he does get healthy, which won't be this season, you'd be naive to think he'll keep passing.

Gilby looks great when playing against scrubs like Delonte West, but doesn't look so hot playing against better guards like Chauncey Billups.

Again, when Gilby went out last night, the team looked great. Ball was moving and they built a huge lead. If they can continue to play such good ball without him, what's the urgency in bringing Gilby back?

There is none.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:45 AM

Why do people blame Gilbert playing an average of about 25 minutes per game in Cleveland the first 2 games as to why they loss? Wasn't everybody WIIIDDDDEEEE open on 3pt shots in the 4th but missing in game 1? Who was that? Jamison! Stevenson! Daniels! Mason! WIDE open. That was Gilbert's fault they missed. And Caron has finally decided to wake up. He was asleep in Cleveland no matter who was on the court. The real issue with Gilbert is that he is NOT Gilbert right now. Guys were all on his jock when he was healthy. Now that he is not 100%, or no where near 100%, people want to blame shortcomings of the team on him. The captains of the Wizards no better. The thing about it is, and it is questionable right now, if Gilbert returns to being Gilbert on the court, most of you bandwagoners will ride his jock again. All but DC Man88, he loves the attention he gets by being an ass.

Posted by: G-Man | April 25, 2008 9:59 AM

I completely agree!

Win game 4 and we have a series!!!

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:20 AM

If the offense doesn't flow well with Gilby, then how the hell are 2 other players averaging over 20 pts and the team as a whole always average above 100 pts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:59 AM

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 9:19 AM

I couldn't agree more. In my mind there's no question the Wizards are better with a healthy Arenas, but if in the future he emphasizes setting up his teammates just a little more, then all the better.

Frankly, in his 10 minutes last night he looked very good running that offense, IMO. Only 2 points (on only 2 shots) but some very nice passing that led to 3 assists.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | April 25, 2008 10:00 AM

Agent Zero = Zero second round playoffs

Zero defense

Zero team ball

Do the math!!

Posted by: LK | April 25, 2008 6:35 AM

LK, I guess you weren't around for the game winning shot Gilby hit over Chicago to take them to the 2nd round, or you are just to retarded to remember. DUMBAS$

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:02 AM

This big win was attributed by the home crowd at VC, just as much as the brilliant play of the Wiz (finally). The white out was a good idea (hey, it worked for the Heat two seasons ago) and I loved the boo-ing of LeBron on each possession.

The Wiz need to keep pressure on LeBron and double-team whenever possible. If we can do that successfully, you never know....

CRANK THAT! (and I hate that song too)

Posted by: DigitalBullets | April 25, 2008 10:02 AM

Rob P, I disagree.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 8:54 AM

That comment wasn't me. Because everyone knows how well Gilby played in the first qtr. He set everyone up and created great scoring opportunities for all his teammates. Some of those passes were just amazing.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:06 AM

Rob P, I disagree.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 8:54 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:06 AM

EG has noticed that the team can win without Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:04 AM

That wasn't me. Everyone knows that Eddy and Gilby's teammates realize how important Gilby is. Or else Gilby wouldn't have started.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:08 AM

Wiz played great defense last night. Players stayed in front of the ball limiting the penetrations and rotated well when they needed to. That's what they need to do, concentrate on playing good defense instead of concentrating on giving out fouls.

About Gilbert's situation, my thought is Gilbert should sit out the next game, or the series entirely, he should not risk getting himself injured on the same knee again. This team has proven that they can win without him.

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 25, 2008 10:08 AM

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 9:09 AM

I think it might be better to start Gilby. When a player at the guard position comes off the bench, it's usually to score. When Gilby comes off the bench his role is to score. With him being unhealthy, he doesn't need the pressure to score. But with him starting, he can be that facilitator. Get his teammates going, being a decoy, and it also gets his legs going and into the flow of the game. So if he does need to take over at the end of Qtrs, halves, or games he can.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:11 AM

Posted by: G-Man | April 25, 2008 9:59 AM

If you've been reading lateley, I've actually come around on Gilby's importance. I realize how much he really does care about winning and what a great teammate he is. I realized that a selfish player would not risk coming back from 2 knee surgeries, just to help his team on a contract year. He could have easily sat and gotten the Max next year. By playing he's sacrificing his max worth for next year, but that's not what's he worried about. I can't wait till he's healthy next year.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:15 AM

I just want to know where all the Cavs fans are who were on this blog after game 2...where's my buddy NYandy...the NY bamma who is a Cavs fan since the knicks are such scrubs. Where are they now?!?!

Posted by: NYandy, where forth art thou bamma? | April 25, 2008 10:17 AM

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 9:19 AM

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | April 25, 2008 10:00 AM

I agree too, however, in the past Jamison and Butler hadn't been established as go to guys on a consistent basis, so Gilby had to take over at the end of the shot clock, qtrs, halves, and games. Now that Jamison and Butler are consistent, a healthy Gilby will be a much better facilitator. he's a smart player.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:18 AM

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 25, 2008 10:08 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:21 AM

What a big difference a little home cooking does. Love the "white-out" noise!!

Wiz are starting to exploit those matchups now - Wally looked completely lost trying to guard CB. If the bench continues to produce like last night, the Cavs are in trouble.

Posted by: Wizzz | April 25, 2008 10:24 AM

I want to piggy back on something BmoreRev said. Gilbert can be in "takeover" mode or "facilitator" mode. We've seen both work. I thought he was terrific last night. The problem with Gilbert is that he is sometimes/oftentimes in takeover mode, when he should be in facilitator mode. He is young, and hopefully he'll learn. The reason you keep Gilbert is that some guys can't be both a facilitator AND a guy who takes over the scoring load -- they can do one or the other. Only the rare player can do both, and he can.

I do find it funny that people in the media are always dumping on players when they are hurt. Were any media guys criticizing Arenas when he was putting up 50 last year?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:34 AM

"True, however, as Eddie and Jamison have stated, they are a good team without Gilby but a very very good team with him. The wiz can beat teams like the Cavs, 76ers, Hawks, and etc in the playoffs. But you need a stone cold killer like gilby to beat elite teams like the Pistons and Celtics in the playoffs. When Gilby is healthy, he is indeed a STONE COLD KILLER. Other than Kobe and Lebron, who else would you want to have that last shot? Gilby and maybe Manu.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:21 AM "

Gil is not a proven winner. He can score, but the team stalls and no defense is played.

What has he won? You can't rest on hope in this league...in the meantime, other teams are busy getting better and winning championships.

What Gil has proven is that as he gets older, he's getting more injury prone.

Abdominal Muscle Strain
Dislocated Clavicle
Two Knee Injuries
Sprained Wrist

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 11:01 AM

Gilby Facts:

Game 1 (LOST!): 28 minutes, 16 shots, 24 points

Game 2 (LOST!): 24 minutes, 10 shots, 7 points

Game 3 (WON!): 10 minutes, 2 shots, 2 points

CONCLUSION: The less Gilby plays, the better off Les BouleS are.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:06 AM

Antawny Facts:

Game 1 (LOST!): 43 minutes, 24 shots, 23 points

Game 2 (LOST!): 35 minutes, 13 shots, 9 points

Game 3 (WON!): 30 minutes, 10 shots, 15 points

CONCLUSION: The less Antawny plays, the better off Les BouleS are

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:12 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:21 AM "

What Gil has proven is that as he gets older, he's getting more injury prone.

Abdominal Muscle Strain
Dislocated Clavicle
Two Knee Injuries
Sprained Wrist

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 11:01 AM

That's a very dumb statement "other teams are busy getting better and winning championships." only 1 team wins a championship every year. you make it seem like every other team but the wiz are winning championships. what an idiot. If any of those few teams have had the same injury problems the wiz have had the last year and half, they wouldn't be winning either. And it's not just GIlby that's getting injured.

If you call Gilby injury prone then you have to say the same for Butler.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:17 AM

Gilby Facts:

Game 1 (LOST!): 28 minutes, 16 shots, 24 points

Game 2 (LOST!): 24 minutes, 10 shots, 7 points

Game 3 (WON!): 10 minutes, 2 shots, 2 points

CONCLUSION: The less Gilby plays, the better off Les BouleS are.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:06 AM

That wasn't me. Think Cleveland Fans are posting under my name, because they are scared we will have Gilby for years to come to match Lebron's superstardom. Except Gilby will have Jamison and Butler, who he helped get better.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:19 AM

Posted by: DC Man88
-----------------------------------------

Agreed. But Gil is NOT healthy. That's why I said what I said. Give him as much rest as needed (one game, one series, whatever). Trying to bring him in one game, and then rest for another, and then repeat many times would simply screw up the flow of the team.

BTW, is this post really by DC Man88? Doesn't sound like him!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:22 AM

Pechy Facts:

Game 1 (LOST!): DNP - Coaches Decision

Game 2 (LOST!): 3 minutes, 0 shots, 0 points

Game 3 (WON!): 3 minutes, 1 shots, 2 points

CONCLUSION: The more shots Pechy takes, the better off Les BouleS are. Start jacking up those Js, Pechy!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:22 AM

Can't you people see? -- the ONLY difference between games 1 and 2, and game 3 is that Gilbert played fewer minutes. Cause and effect. Case closed.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:25 AM

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 11:25 AM

The only difference is that in Game 1, guys missed wide open shots that Gilby created for them in game 1, and they converted with FGs/FT's in Game 3 that Gilby created.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 11:28 AM

quick sidecomment from the game last night. i complained earlier in the week that the wiz were being cheap with their whiteout by asking people to weat their own white shirts and not providing cool playoff white shirts.
well ladies, the wiz read these posts and heard my cry.
and last night at the booth, they provided white playoff shirts to every1 plus a playoff towel.
so the wiz did the right thing.
great game, great time and verizon is still one of the best places eva to see a game with the family.
total fun.
go wiz.

Posted by: dk | April 25, 2008 11:33 AM

Don't know who is masquerading as DCman, but please stop. DC is a consistently valuable contributor, in spite of the bandwagon shouts from the masses.
How can you not start to see his points, as to the difference in teh etams performance when Gil is not on the court.
It is so obvious that the defense, BH, and guard play is so much more diversified when GA is not controlling the ball.
This is still a team sport, and it is abundantly clear that moving the ball, and including everyone in the "touches" is so much more successful. Look at the Lakers since Kobe has "seen the light".
It is obvious that the real need on this team is an athletic and somewhat skilled center. Bh has shown improvement, but long term we need much help at the "big" positions.
This could include some intensive strength work for AB, DS, NY and AP...
But leave the "real" DCman alone.

Posted by: mricklen | April 25, 2008 11:40 AM

Sure he had a bad game in Game 2, but so did everyone else. And we would not have been in game 1 at all if he had not come in and drained 4 straight treys in the first half, including one from somewhere in Western Pennsylvania. These are tangible contributions made by a man playing on one good leg, and thus without the particular gift of explosiveness that sets him way, way apart from "ordinary" NBA players.

Arenas is an exceptionally fine, once in a generation ballplayer, playing hurt and still helping his team. We have not seen his like since Hayes and Unseld, although we got two fine years from Bernard King, another great player who came to DC AFTER knee surgery far more serious than Gilbert has endured.

Gilbert is still a young man and there is no reason his knee should not heal completely over the summer. What is wrong with some of you people? We would be crazy to let him go in his prime.

If he can go on Sunday, he should start and play 7-8 minutes. My guess is that the Wiz and the fans will be well served if he does. He could be the Willis Reed of 2008.

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 11:41 AM

Great game! The crowd, along with this being a must win, really invigorated the team. Apparently, the meeting, film and discussion session helped. Sorry Gilbert is hurting....it's appreciated that he has at least come back to try and facilitate the team. He came back rather than listen to his peers who told him not to. I'm just hoping he will go on and let his injury heal and not risk it anymore. The rest of the team came to play this time and Haywood has had a great post season. Too bad he didnt play much last post season.

Posted by: washingtonian | April 25, 2008 12:14 PM

I am not sure Gilbert should go on Sunday. But if he does and whenever he gets in the game in this series he should be the facilitator first. His passing was excellent last night and if Gilbert can get everyone else in rhythm first then try and get his own shot, that will benefit the Wizards tremendously on offense.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 25, 2008 12:23 PM

Here's a Cavs fan right here. I will have to say that last night I watched the Wizards team I expected to see this entire series. They were focused on their team defense instead of focusing on fouling. Your shooters finally got hot as well. Stevenson still needs to knock off his little charade though. Drilling 3 pointers when you are up by 20 points isn't that big of a deal. Sunday should be a great game. The Cavs have had these type of completely terrible games during the regular season and usuually come back strong. I think Arenas going down helped you guys a lot as well. The team just seems to play better as a team when he is out. Look for Lebron to be on Butler Sunday after Butler torched Wally as well.

P.S. - I'm not one of the people who comes in here and talks trash....I really don't think I have a right to trash talk considering I don't actually play in the games.

Posted by: CavsFan | April 25, 2008 12:27 PM

Gilby can come in on Sunday and pretend to be the assist man all he wants and get everyone jumping for joy, but for sure, with his gimpy leg, he's not going to overstrain himself to play defense.

I think Gilby really hurt his leg with Boobie broke his ankles during Game 1 on 3 quick studder step moves.

If EJ wants to win, the formula has been to limit Gilby's minutes and let the team work it's magic with better chemistry, teamwork, and defense without him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:33 PM

"Here's a Cavs fan right here. I will have to say that last night I watched the Wizards team I expected to see this entire series."

Yeah, you and us both. :)

I have a feeling it's going 7 games. I think you throw "match-ups" out the window when these two teams get together.

"I am not sure Gilbert should go on Sunday."

And when he comes back they should really limit his minutes regardless of how he's playing. I love Gil, but for whatever reason he's just not meant to be in the plans of the Wiz this year. :(

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | April 25, 2008 12:41 PM

This could include some intensive strength work for AB, DS, NY and AP...
But leave the "real" DCman alone.

Posted by: mricklen | April 25, 2008 11:40 AM

It's sad, I had to post under another name to defend myself. I'm almost as pathetic as a CLEVELAND FAN.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:47 PM

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 11:41 AM

Great Post!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:48 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:33 PM

That wasn't me. It was a Cleveland Fan. Everyone knows how valuable GILBY is.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:50 PM

"That wasn't me. It was a Cleveland Fan. Everyone knows how valuable GILBY is.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:50 PM "

Yes dude, Gilby is valuable when he's sitting on the bench, or passing out white t-shirts and towels.

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 12:53 PM

Wizards win was simply a case of going back to the basics that worked during the regular season.....good ball movement, energy and effort on defense, and keeping everyone involved. Any coincidence that Roger Mason had such a huge impact off the bench plus we got a nice contribution from Blatche?. Caron finally realized it is "his team" this year, no offense to Agent Zero and asserted his will on the Cavs. EJ made a smart decision by having CB3 cover LeBron instead of DSS. Haywood has been the Wizards most consistent player this series and needs to be kept on the floor whenever Z is playing. Z is too big and strong for Blatche and Songaila.

Whether GA players again this series, the Wiz have the more talented, balanced team and should win if they play their style of ball. LeBron can get his 30 points, but we'll win the series if we shut down Cleveland's role players like Szerbiak.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 25, 2008 1:31 PM

Thanks for the kind review DCMan (or whoever)!

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 1:42 PM

Has anyone ever seen Caron shoulder to shoulder with Lebron? Is Lebron that much bigger?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 1:43 PM

"Rob you're an idiot. I don't know how you can put the tag on Gilby that 'he does not make his teammates better. 2 players other than him average 20 pts a season besides Gilby (Jamison/Hughes & Jamison/Butler). Jamison and Butler dind't become All-Star caliber until they played with Gilby. Kobe couldn't turn Butler into an All Star. Larry would have been an All Star that year too if he hadn't got hurt." - anon

Larry Hughes happened to be healthy for one entire season, which was why he had that ONE breakout season. Your probably not too educated just judging by your calling people names, but correlation just not mean causation.

"GA has the talent to be a great facilitator, if he puts his mind to playing that role. Not just for this series, but for the future. If he averaged, say, 23-24 points but got 8-10 assists and played better defense, I could see the Wizards becoming one of the elite teams in the league." - John Brisker

Sure, but what tells you the "what-ifs" are going to happen. He has averaged 5.5 assists his career and that will continue and he plays no defense. Worse than Jamison before he improved this year! Hell, you could take half the guys in the league and propose those kind of "what-ifs" and then say well we would have a hell of a team.

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:31 PM

"Your hilarious! Jamison and Butler had the best years of their CAREERS this year and GA was not around. Explain that one IDIOT!

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:31 PM "

I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 2:43 PM

"Gilbert dealt 3 dimes in 10 early minutes last night including a truly inspired bullet through traffic that set up an easy two, and was featured on the ESPN replay today. Arguably, he helped set the table for the rout his teammates laid on the Cavs.

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 11:41 AM

Thanks for the kind review DCMan (or whoever)!

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 1:42 PM "

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but I couldn't disagree more with your post.

Gilby is a great individual player, but a poor team guy and a poor defender. He's not that young anymore, and has proven to be injury prone.

Once a guy like Gilby loses his wheels, he's finished. He's on that track right now.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 2:45 PM

I feel compelled to write something as a Cavs fan who has lived in DC for the past three years. And yes, I have every right to post here; I read the Post every day, from sports to politics, etc. Anyway, I was truly looking forward to this series and thought it was a great matchup and was honestly surprised that the Cavs won the first two games. Unlike a lot of people that post comments here, I am realistic about my team and their shortcomings. I do not blame the officiating. I think what infuriates me the most is the fact that people here do not acknowledge that LeBron is a superstar, and yes, he is in a different class from Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler. It's a fact. I have followed the Wizards since I moved here and am truly a fan of Caron Butler and was glad to see him finally show up last night and not let himself be shut down by Wally Sczerbiak of all people. Caron finally took advantage of that, and had a great game.
LeBron is a superstar, surrounded by some decent players, but he can't always depend on them. He is a great leader and displays quite a bit of class and maturity, especially since he is only 23. I think leadership is sometimes lacking for the Wizards, but I have to say that Gilbert Arenas, although I am not a fan of his by any means, impressed me last night. By starting, he showed some leadership and served as a sort of catalyst for his team. If people who post here are true basketball fans, they should appreciate watching LeBron play and look forward to Game 4 and hope it will be a close game. Because that is truly exciting and it's great basketball, when two teams go out there and leave everything on the court. The last two games were not exciting to me. I want to see two teams that both want to win, and I want to see lots of heart and hustle.

Posted by: CavsGirl | April 25, 2008 3:31 PM

Well dcman you are right on one thing.

It boils down to whether Gilbert's wheels have broken down permanently or are reparable.

Reparable is also a relative term, in that it is remarkable how an older man's guile can make up for the inevitable breakdown of younger man's body. That's why I mentioned Bernard King, who had a couple of exceptional years including back to back 50 point games) in the late 80s for the Bullets with one knee completely destroyed. Don't forget that knee surgery 20 years ago was not as advanced as it is now, either.

Gilbert is also younger than King was when his knee problems began, and therefore more likely to heal.

I do not think we should be giving up on Gilbert after this year. He has a great passion to succeed, to win, to leave a mark. It would be galling to see him succeed in another team's uniform.

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 4:57 PM

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 2:31 PM

Rob P you are an absolute IDIOT and hate on great unselfish player such as GILBY. Give credit where it's due.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:27 PM

"That wasn't me. It was a Cleveland Fan. Everyone knows how valuable GILBY is.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:50 PM "

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 12:53 PM

That was a horrible comeback. Stick to hating on GILBY without comedy. It sounded real lame.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:28 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but I couldn't disagree more with your post.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 2:45 PM

That wasn't me

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:29 PM

Well dcman you are right on one thing.

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 4:57 PM

True indeed

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:30 PM

@ Cavsgirl,

Good post. I mostly agree with you. I agree LeBron is a superstar, but that does not mean he doesn't get away with travels and gets "special" treatment from the refs as far as fouls are concerned. If he is so good, he doesn't need it, right?

Also, the Wiz do need better leadership and LeBron is a good leader at this stage in his career. But, I would not exactly say he is a class act. All his faces every time he gets fouled etc etc is annoying. He's got a little too much prima donna in him for my taste and how many championships has he won???

Not defending the antics of DeShawn at all. He is pretty classless as well. Plus, throwing a party in the middle of the playoffs is pathetic!

Posted by: Rob P | April 26, 2008 12:06 AM

I am amazed at the amount of talent the Wizards have. If they don't win this round,they should fire Eddie Jordon.To be honest,they have had more talent than the Cavaliers each of the last three years.With or without Agent Zero. I don't mind the talk(smack) it's entertainment. One only has to look around the play offs and see teams with less talent than the Wizards doing better.Look back over the years(3) I really feel San Antonio would NOT have swept the Wizards.

Posted by: blackontime | April 27, 2008 9:43 AM