The Soulja Boy Factor?

With the series shifting back to the Washington, and the Wizards pretty embarassed after a terrible performance in Game 2, it's easy to forget all of the LeBron James-DeShawn Stevenson talk. Or that Soulja Boy may or may not be at Verizon Center on Thursday night.

Who ya with? (souljaboytellem.com)

Soulja Boy, whose real name is DeAndre Way, told Branson Wright of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he felt LeBron James's comments comparing himself to Jay-Z and DeShawn Stevenson to Soulja Boy were disrespectful. (I'm not quite sure if DeShawn should feel disrespected as well, since Way is basically saying that being compared to DeShawn ain't cool).

Way, the one-hit wonder behind the monster, "Crank That," and the popular "Soulja Boy Dance" said he had never seen James play basketball and may take up Stevenson's offer to attend Games 3 and 4. He was photographed wearing a Cleveland No. 23 jersey before James "dissed" him, but Stevenson has a Wizards No. 2 waiting for him. Either way, it will be interesting to see if the Jumbotron at the Verizon Center will be playing this on Thursday night:

James was asked on Tuesday if he planned on doing his "Soulja Boy" this week.

"Nah," James said. "I got my Roc Boy dance ready."

I don't know what that dance looks like, but I like this song.

By Michael Lee |  April 23, 2008; 4:44 PM ET
Previous: Jordan responds | Next: "Happy Birthday"

Comments

Thanks for the music.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:03 PM

Ivan, thanks for the chat earlier. I hope you're right about Caron's play being affected more by his head than his injuries - that means there's a chance the real Caron will still show up.

I want to say that I thought it was very poor form for Mr. Lee to attempt to start the chat off by discussing any series BUT the Wiz-Cavs. He should not be included on this blog, and his agenda of trying to become a national NBA beat-man is tiring. Nevertheless, the chat consisted of 95% Wiz related discussion - sorry Michael.

It was also quite telling when Lee later in the chat says he couldn't remember off the top of his head how many teams have come back from an 0-2 deficit in a best
of 7! Are you kidding me? Every fan in Wiz Nation right now knows that number is 13. And this guy is paid by the Washington Post to cover the NBA and the Wizards??

Posted by: Ledell lives | April 23, 2008 5:05 PM

Shut up, clown. Michael Lee covers the NBA. This isn't his agenda. He's been covering the NBA - not the Wizards, but the NBA - for the past few years. Have you ever read the paper? Have you ever been on this blog? Did you see he wrote a story about Pau Gasol today? Don't jump in here and try to diss Mike and his knowledge of the NBA when you have no idea what YOU are talking about. Clown, shut your trap. Sorry, but I had to check him. Idiot.

Posted by: Ledell lives, but you suck | April 23, 2008 5:11 PM

Michael, I'd love to know what you think about the article I read at: The LA Times about Intentional Fouls. The article says its time to put a stop to it before the next melee or riot happens. I kind of agree that its getting out of hand. Somebody is going to get hurt bad if the league doesn't step in.

Posted by: Concern for the message being sent | April 23, 2008 5:15 PM

Posted by: Jay-Z | April 23, 2008 5:22 PM

Unbelievable

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:24 PM

This product sucks - why pay money to see a bunch of losers with big mouths?

Posted by: Hew | April 23, 2008 5:40 PM

Lebron is a dumb-butt. He could have at least NOT done that silly dance before putting Soulja down like that. They should play that everytime he goes to the free-throw line.

Thank God for Brendan Haywood, at least he got to say what we all were thinking.

Mike loves Kobe, not the Wiz. Leave him alone. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | April 23, 2008 6:08 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 6:11 PM

"Poor form? The chat was for Wizards/NBA. Notice the three letters after the back slash? Who doesn't know by now that Ivan covers the Wizards and Michael covers the NBA?
We should be happy to have these guys giving us info our team and the rest of the league. I can't think of another place that does it better. Keep up the good work, fellas. Don't pay attention to folks like Ledell lives."

I couldn't agree more. The Post's coverage of the league and the wiz is first rate. It's one of the many reasons why I waste/spend so much time on post.com. . .

Posted by: rob g in annapolis | April 23, 2008 6:36 PM

Soulja Boy would be a stupid boy to side with Deshawn. What in the world does Soulja boy have to gain from siding with DS vice Lebron? That's like saying you'd rather be Labradford Smith when you could be MJ.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 7:45 PM

.....Or like saying you are from Cleveland, when you could save yourself the embarrassment by lying and saying that you are from DC.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 8:06 PM

Why should Soulja Boy side with Lebron he disrepect him to. He should side with Deshawn

Posted by: Rock Star | April 23, 2008 8:08 PM

why would dedumb stevenson invite souljah when the BOY felt disrespected when compared to him. a case of DUMB and DUMBER

Posted by: jay | April 23, 2008 8:31 PM

LeBron...: I find myself not liking LeBron much at all. He seems to spend a lot more time flexing, playing to the crowd, and whining than comparable superstars of the past. I know that my view is influenced by being a Wizards fan, but watching him again in game 1 just reinforced my feelings.

I assume I'm totally wrong on this?

Michael Wilbon: Ahhh, yes, you're totally wrong. LeBron has taken the high road with the Wizards despite their silly talk...Stevenson and Gilbert took their shots, and LeBron said, "Look at the scoreboard." I'm going to be sorely disappointed in the Wizards if they lose this series...not because I picked them but because LeBron has no team and the Wizards have three All-Stars...If the three of them plus a pretty darn good bench (that played terribly except for Gil on Saturday) can't neutralize LeBron, shame on the whole team...By the fourth quarter, the Wizards were soft as Charmin, settling for long jumpers and letting LeBron bolt the lane at will...They have to play the game hard for 48 minutes, not 35, 37...

_______________________

Silver Spring, Md.: Michael,

In your opinion, are the refs intentionally giving LeBron favorable treatment because the NBA wants him in the playoffs as long as possible?

Michael Wilbon: LeBron didn't get ANY favorable treatment. He whipped the Wizards butts...again...Stop with the whining...Every player and every coach, great or scrubbini, whines in search of an advantage...Let the Wizards play LeBron in the fourth quarter the way they played him in the first and we won't be talking about the refs.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 10:06 PM

Oak Hill, Va.: Michael,

What would it take to get the Wizards to get past the first round consistently, year after year? Gilbert has been an outstanding player for us for years now but I don't believe he is the answer to take us to the championship.

Michael Wilbon: I'm not sure I disagree with you at all. It's going to take a great player, probably, and it appears the Wizards don't have one. There's a difference between being an All-Star and being a great player, which we see every time Gilbert goes up against LeBron. Detroit is one of the few teams that has won without a truly great player, though Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton are incredibly clutch, and the old Ben Wallace and Rasheed bordered on great when the Pistons won in 2004...That ensemble cast appears to be the exception.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 10:12 PM

Washington, D.C.: Thanks for calling people out on the whining and LeBron hating. He played well and he drove to the basket aggressively, which is what the Wizards should've been doing!

I am very impressed with his maturity and the way he handles himself on and off the court, for the most part, especially in comparison with someone like Carmelo Anthony.

Full disclosure, I am originally from Cleveland and a Cavs fan and not a fair weather one either! I remember the days when Ricky Davis was one of the only reasons why I watched the Cavs and I also remember the days of Mark Price/Larry Nance/Brad Daugherty when Michael Jordan used to kill our playoff dreams every year.

Wizards fans need to look to their own team's failures as the reason why they lost the game!

Michael Wilbon: Hard to argue with that.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 10:13 PM

This product sucks - why pay money to see a bunch of losers with big mouths?

Posted by: Hew | April 23, 2008 5:40 PM

We Cleveland Fans have been paying money to see losers for 50 years. We can't afford a nice place so we live in our mom's basement and troll other cities' websites. It's pretty pathetic, but that's what happens when your city has a 50 year drought

Posted by: Hew | April 23, 2008 10:47 PM

The writers of these blogs are ridiculous. Why do they not understand they are just feeding washington fans exactly what they dont need? Yea its one thing to be behind your team, but its like the SUPPORT the brendan haywood foul. its insane. Everyone with a basketball mind has said that the foul went too far, and it clearly did. I dont care how hard or not hard he pushed james.. you cant do that in that situation - with James in mid air. and F brendan haywood for saying if it was delonte he wouldnt have gotten thrown out! YES YOU WOULD HAVE! YOU CANT JUST PUSH PEOPLE IN MIDAIR! I just cant believe these writers support this.

Oh, and who cares that haywood wasnt suspended. Were gonna rock the wiz again with or without his dumb ass

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2008 10:51 PM

Posted by: | April 23, 2008 10:51 PM

I do care that our city is pathetic and can't end a 50 year drought! The Drought will continue with or without Lebron.

Posted by: Cleveland Fan | April 23, 2008 11:03 PM

This garbage is why basketball has been dead to me for so many years.
Is Gary Payton working on his album yet?
He was gonna turn into a pro rapper when his pro basketball career was over right?
Rappers are not basketball players, basketball players really shouldn't be rappin even if they are hittin it with Too Short...
Gilbert is a premadonna, so is the big kid in the Cleave.
I miss Sam Perkins.
B-ball is a bore.
Hersey Hawkins! Feed the Hawk!
I don't know this washington's basketball but my wife and I really loved going to Sonics games in our courting days(pun intended)
It's just weird these days to see such a bottom of the Barrell Cultural Icon shareing space with "Superstars".
Weak!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 23, 2008 11:04 PM

This garbage is why basketball has been dead to me for so many years.
Is Gary Payton working on his album yet?
Gilbert is a premadonna, so is the big kid in the Cleave.
I miss Sam Perkins.
B-ball is a bore.
Hersey Hawkins! Feed the Hawk!
Weak!

Posted by: Dadryan | April 23, 2008 11:04 PM

Atleast you're not a pathetic Cleveland Fan like us who has to deal with a 50 year Drought and talk trash about irrelevant accomplishments.

Posted by: Cleveland Fan | April 23, 2008 11:14 PM

@Cleveland Fan:
Word to Shawn Kemp!!!
Speaking of Wrappers..

Posted by: Dadryan | April 24, 2008 1:26 AM

The idea of inviting Soulja Boy to the game is kind of fun before the game 2 embarrassing loss. Wizards have played 5 bad quarters (including the 4th of the 1st game), they need to concentrate on how to play better and win this must-win game!

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 24, 2008 9:42 AM

Soulja Boy should be the guest of honor at Game 6. Not before then, though.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 11:43 AM

Soulja Boy says he doesnt follow/watch basketball, he likes football. He's sort of "dissing" all of them (basketball). Havent seen Lebron play.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2008 12:21 PM