Arenas update

I wrote a story in today's paper about Gilbert Arenas and his plans for the summer. Here's the link if you haven't read it.
Not a ton of red meat but a couple of key things stand out: A) Arenas still plans on opting out of the final year of his contract. That is something he has been amazingly consistent on for nearly two years now. B) He seems to be sincere about taking his time and getting that left knee 100 percent this summer.
In other words, no pick-up games at Barry Farms (something I've always respected him for. I've seen the guy roll up without a crew, play like everyone else and then sign autographs for folks who will never be able to attend a Wizards game until every single person got one) and no other risky antics. That's a good sign.
He plans on waiting until June 30 to file the paperwork that will make him an unrestricted free agent. Why wait? Why not? He can't sign a new deal until after July 1 anyway and waiting keeps his options open. Remember: he doesn't have to opt out.

-The Wiz will begin working out draft prospects this week. As soon as I get a list of names, I'll post them here. I'll be attending the workouts as well and will provide as much info as I can for you folks leading up to the draft.

-A few folks in the comments section have asked about attending summer league. My advice to any basketball freak: do it. It's like immersing yourself in basketball paradise for several days and, you're in Vegas baby. This summer's league runs from July 11-20 at the Thomas and Mack Center. The gym is a short drive/cab ride or a long walk from the strip and you'll be amazed at how close you can get to the action.
Because it's open seating, there will be times when you are sitting just a few feet away from Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Joe Dumars, Kevin Pritchard, Danny Ainge, Ernie Grunfeld and every other gm in the league. And then there is the, um, other kinds of scenery. Wow.

As for the hoop, there are a ton of games, often two at a time and they are fun to watch because you get an interesting mix of talented rookies, second and third years guys and the period "Where-has-he-been guy?" (For me last summer it was Lamond Murray)

- My favorite moment from last year's summer league was sitting down at a black jack table at 3 a.m. or so (I was up late conducting research boss) and seeing Gary Payton across the table from me. Now, I love me some GP. Always have and always will. My dream was to have him trash talk me into getting so nervous, I broke my cardinal rule and hit on a 15 but it didn't happen.
(On a side note, someone - can't remember who - once told me a story about GP's greatest trash talking moment. Apparently he was inbounding the ball once when some fan was giving it to him pretty good. Without even turning around, GP yelled over his shoulder: "Shut up fool before I slap you with my wallet!" God I hope that's true.)

-My other favorite moment from last summer was looking up from a table in the wee hours my last night in town and seeing LeBron James come strolling through. Amazingly, he didn't travel and Damon Jones wasn't five feet behind him like some kind of parrot. (That's a joke Cleveland fan. Relax.)
I can't be anymore direct about this folks: if you love basketball and like Vegas, it'll be the best vacation you'll ever take. Trust me.

By Ivan Carter |  June 2, 2008; 12:40 PM ET
Previous: Doug Collins Coming Back? | Next: Arenas update II

Comments

Thanks for the vacation advice Ivan but I think if I was taking a trip to Vegas I would rather eat, drink, gamble and participate in other "wild" activities rather than watch basketball:)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 2:17 PM

Welcome back Ivan, man we missed you!

Posted by: CJ in Baltimore | June 2, 2008 2:25 PM

That sounds awesome, Ivan. Can I crash in your hotel room?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 2:27 PM

Ivan, I posted this in the last entry but could you give me the answers to these questions?

What exactly does 'Gilbert's been cleared to begin rehabilitation' mean? What exactly is going on with his knee that it took over a month to be cleared to rehab it? It was my understanding that when he was cleared to play, it was because the rehabbing was over and he was just getting his conditioning and leg strength back. Did he have some procedure (knee draining/scope) or setback that I don't know about? I know he 'shut it down' during the playoffs because his leg knee was 'not right' but was there any additional damage done by playing? I'm wondering if there is a reason he is waiting to opt out. Maybe he's waiting to see how his knee feels by the end of June before making financial decisions.

Posted by: mark | June 2, 2008 2:52 PM

After reading Ivan's article today, you have to feel sorry for EG and his pending negotiations with Gilby as Gilby will be without an agent.

Thus, EG will have to deal with a guy who's uninformed, unaware of cap knowledge, immature, and unpredictable.

It might make for a good reality show episode.

"Gilby Go Gets his Money."

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 12:05 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 2:57 PM

"And so - - - - - DC Man88, your opinion for what the Wizards should do with the pick at #18?

And please be sure to include any salary cap ramifications. Trades must match salaries. Any trade scenarios should be serious and beneficial for both teams (ie: no Pecherov for AK47 trades)...

I can see you're not too high on Hibbert... So - who, in your opinion, should the Wizards draft? Or what should they do with their Draft picks?

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 1:51 PM "

Hibbert would clearly be a safety pick at 18 and is a local favorite, so no one will complain.

As we all know though, there are many more young guys on the roster, and if the Wiz want to add someone who can make a contribution, it probably won't be as a rookie.

It was clear during the playoffs that we are sorely lacking in a 4 who can score and defend. Drafting a rookie at 18 won't bring an impact player and won't bring someone who will take the Wiz from a one and done playoff team to deep into the playoffs.

EG clearly needs to either move up in the draft, or trade the pick along with other players to get someone more seasoned.

Some dudes that may help immediately include Baron Davis, Josh Smith, Elton Brand, Okafor, Calderon, or AK-47. I'd try to somehow get Devin Hester from the Nets also.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 3:03 PM

Don't give gil the max, it's going to to come back and bite us!!! We have not even seen Gil healthy on the court in a season and a half? He will never be the same Gil that he was before the injury. Don't do it!

Posted by: wywiz | June 2, 2008 3:08 PM

I'll be in Vegas July 14-17, and completely forgot about the summer league. Hope we play twice in that span, thanks for the tips, Ivan...

BTW, I don't think the Glove would want to talk trash to you in a game of black jack, you guys are all playing against a dealer, so I'm sure GP was saving it for him/her...

Posted by: CN | June 2, 2008 3:08 PM

This sounds like one half of the perfect vacation. The first half would be the main event in the World Series of Poker followed by the Vegas Summer League. Will Comcast show the Wizards' summer league games again? I hope they do.

Posted by: George Templeton | June 2, 2008 3:13 PM

Speaking of gambling, I'm surprised Ivan didn't dish out any stories about the Chuckster...

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 3:14 PM

Thanks Ivan! Can't wait til pre-draft workouts start!

I actually went down last year to Verizon when they worked out Nick Young. That bar at VC (used to be Green Turtle I think?) has a window overlooking the practice court. They had a curtain pulled over it, but I could see a peak through the edges. I could only see one side of the court, the right side of the basket. But I could see Young go up for dunks and shooting his jumper. Saw some drills they were running and could tell he looked good and was pretty smooth. It was pretty cool to watch, then go back up for a few brews.

Posted by: Darnell | June 2, 2008 3:15 PM

"I'd try to somehow get Devin Hester from the Nets also."

You mean Devin Harris? Devin Hester plays for the bears

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:29 PM

WHO IS VEERENKO? CAN HE PLAY?
HIBBERT COULD MAKE A CONTRIBUTION BACKING UP AT CENTER BECAUSE THE COACH AT G-TOWN USES THE SAME SYSTEM THE WIZ COACH USES. WHEN DO WE RECEIVE A PICK FROM MEMPHIS? DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH ME THAT WE SHOULD KEEP ROGER MASON?
DON'T BE SURPRISED IF GIL GOES TO CHICAGO IN A TRADE.

Posted by: DOC | June 2, 2008 3:33 PM

In order to move up the the draft or trade for impact players, you have to have something of value to offer. Aside from the "Big 3" (who Grunfeld keeps insisting aren't going anywhere) the Wizards don't have anyone who fits that description, at least no well enough to deal their way into a position of strength.

The #18 pick and some combo of Etan, Haywood, Blatche, Songaila, Daniels, Young, Stevenson, or Pecherov is not going to get the Wiz anywhere near the likes of Baron Davis, Elton Brand, Okafor, or Kirilenko.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 3:33 PM

Since Arenas has no representation, does he file the opt-out paperwork himself?

What would be the chances he forgets about it and misses the deadline? I could really really see this happening...

Posted by: jarobi | June 2, 2008 3:41 PM

Veremeenko is our 2006 second round pick who is currently playing in Europe. He has been compared to Keith Van Horn.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 3:57 PM

Mark,

Arenas pinched a nerve in his left knee. That was the injury that caused him to shut it down.

Posted by: G$ | June 2, 2008 3:59 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 3:03 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 4:02 PM

I'd be happy with Joey Dorsey in the 2nd. He's a banger. We need a Maxiel-type force off the bench. I wouldn't be disappointed with Hibbert at 18 either but I think there is other talent available. Who are the available Euro's this year?...and not the ones who have crazy buy-outs thus really aren't available for immediate impact.

Posted by: G$ | June 2, 2008 4:25 PM

"I can see it now. Gilbert gets offended by the Wizards offer, and goes to the Warriors for $10M. Baron Davis gets offended by the Warriors lowball offer, and goes to Washington for $12M. Wizards play outrageously fast and score a lot of points in the regular season games, but have no defensive game to speak of, and as always crash out in playoffs first round. EJ finally gets fired, the team is taken over by Ted, and the Wiz rebuild again.

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 4:02 PM "

Also, with Baron, you get leadership and toughness that Gilby does not provide.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 4:28 PM

"Since Arenas has no representation, does he file the opt-out paperwork himself?

Posted by: jarobi | June 2, 2008 3:41 PM "

He might oversleep in his hyperbaric chamber, forget about the deadline while playing pool at VC, not get out of his grotto in time, get lost in soufeast while biking around town, get tangled up in his parachute and starve to death, or accidentally fly off the GW Parkway in his Ferrari while driving.

A whole list of things can happen, but I doubt if he will forget b/c there's so much hype over him opting out, unless he goes into seclusion again like last year where he went on vacation to Tahiti after the one and done fiasco?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 4:32 PM

"You mean Devin Harris? Devin Hester plays for the bears

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 3:29 PM "

You are so right.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 4:33 PM

Pretty much no one on the Wiz is untouchable, with Caron being the closest. You have your perennial all stars, but once in a blue moon an elite player like Duncan, Lebron, or Kobe might come along.

Because of this, if such a player exists, you blow up your team to try to get him. It's too silly to think anyone's untouchable when the team's been one and done the past 3 seasons. Injuries are no excuse except for losers.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 4:36 PM

Nice catch on Devin Hester. However, Hester looks like Allen Iverson in cleats....

Posted by: CN | June 2, 2008 5:03 PM

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 5:08 PM

Posted by: wywiz | June 2, 2008 3:08 PM
What do you consider "max"?

Posted by: rgz | June 2, 2008 5:21 PM

Also, with Baron, you get leadership and toughness that Gilby does not provide.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 4:28 PM

BECAUSE as somebody said:

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 12:05 PM

And as for Papa Smurf, he's a coach's "best friend" and a real go to guy during the playoffs, just ask Don Nelson.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 5:32 PM

Moving up from 18 might be possible if the Wiz have somebody targeted in the 8-12 range of the draft. And they are willing to include Young in a trade package.

I'm not advocating trading Young, but to get talent they're going to have to give up something of value. I think Young was a steal last year for the Wiz. He's a guy that can get his shot in this league, but with the big three scorings not an area of need.

A guy that will possibly be around at that stage who would fit in for the Wiz would be Love. The kid's a flat out banger with some skills that would translate to Eddie's system.

If the Wiz would go that route Grunfeld could resign Mason at the two. If the NBA is going to follow the trend of letting the games get really physical in the playoffs, Ernie needs to look for some bangers with some skills.

I'd still take a long hard look at Artest as well, the guy seems to be mellowing to the point where he's nearly sane. He can flat out play, has a reasonable contract and the Kings seem to be in rebuilding mode.

He can defend about anybody on the floor so playing him and Caron together should be no problem at all. And I'd love to see him take on LeBron.

Posted by: GM | June 2, 2008 5:43 PM

"Always have and always will. My dream was to have him trash talk me into getting so nervous, I broke my cardinal rule and hit on a 15 but it didn't happen." -Ivan Carter

That's a very odd cardinal rule. Considering the fact that if the dealer has anything higher than a 6 showing, you always HIT on your 15.

Sounds like you need some schooling on the dos and donts of blackjack, bro.

Posted by: Barno | June 2, 2008 5:48 PM

Man, that Vegas trip does sound like a blast. I say keep Gil if the contract is reasonable (non max). He's worth the baggage. Make no mistake, there is baggage. I for one was crushed when he undermined coach Jordan. Just devastated.

Wondering about who they bring in...I don't remember if Young or McGuire came in for workouts last year, does anyone? Either way we should at least learn something about the positions they are looking at. PG? C?

Posted by: Patrick | June 2, 2008 6:00 PM

I'm not sold on Love. I look at his size (yeah, he's listed at 6' 10" but does anyone really buy that?) and his college game and he's got Corliss Williamson v2.0 written all over him. And that's not a dig because Corliss had a solid NBA career, including a key role on a title team and 6th man of the year award. But he was taken way too high at #7. I can see Love being the same situation.

The other problem is that 1-dimensional scoring guards are probably the most plentiful commodity in the NBA. It's pretty unlikely someone trades away a top 10 pick for a SG who doesn't seem to have star quality about him.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 6:04 PM

What is the other kinds of scenery? The females?

Posted by: South Beach Terp | June 2, 2008 6:06 PM

I don't understand DC's infatuation with Hibbert. If the Wizards need a guy whoe can't run, can't jump, doesn't go to the glass, and has a tendency to disappear during games, they could save a few mil by convincing Ike Austin to come out of retirement.

Posted by: John Brisker | June 2, 2008 6:31 PM

"How can Gilby be offended when he said he'd gladly take less as long as AJ stays and that he knows now he's not max money?

Also, with Baron, you get leadership and toughness that Gilby does not provide.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 4:28 PM

BECAUSE as somebody said:

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 12:05 PM

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 5:32 PM "

It's absolutely certain that Gilby will get offended, but it absolutely does not make sense given what he's said about how he's going to sacrifice for AJ. Therefore, it's up to EG to find him a binky so that he can cry himself to sleep with only 10 mil/year instead of max money.

It's well documented how Don Nelson is an idiot coach who benched his top player in the playoffs and has no desire to integrate a big man into his offense. Baron can't be blamed for that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 6:32 PM

"He earned $12M this year, and AJ earned over $16M. If they stay here next year the two of them will be earning almost half of the total Wizards salaries.

Posted by: rgz | June 2, 2008 5:21 PM "

Yes, but that was towards the end of AJ's contract. I don't think AJ started his contract making 16 mil. Contracts are usually structured where salaries increase year to year.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 6:34 PM

"If Grunfeld's line is to be believed, he pretty clearly thinks that the big 3 are untouchable. Or, more likely, he recognizes that their status of age, injuries, and contract issues depresses their open market value to the point that getting equal value for them in trade is pretty unlikely, which makes keeping them the most viable option. In any event, there's not much realistic chance that even Arenas, Jamison, or Butler is going to fetch a future HoFer in a deal.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 5:08 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 6:35 PM

Note to John Brisker: Good one about Roy Hibbert/Ike Austin LOL! but seriously I think he will translate into a very good but not a great NBA player he will improve under the right coaching and become a intregal part of the Wizards rotation, you know what you are getting not a lot homework needed ie background,ability,attitude and such.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | June 2, 2008 7:03 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 3:03 PM

And while you're at it, why not just try trading for Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard.

See, that's the problem with most people's posts about trading for this guy or that guy. Almost none of them are based on any reality. Almost none take into account Salary Cap rules. Almost none take into account other team's needs.

It's pretty easy to say trade the 18th pick with "other players" to get Okafor or Brand. It's much harder to put together a REAL package of players and picks that would actually:
1. Work, under the rules
2. Be adventageous to both teams

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 7:32 PM

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 4:02 PM "

Exactly the kind of wild speculation that simply CANNOT HAPPEN under the rules. Gil can walk... but the Wizards will still be OVER THE SALARY CAP.... therefore they would be unable to offer Baron Davis $12Million....

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 7:36 PM

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 4:02 PM "

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 7:36 PM

Exactly, dargregmag. Hibbert is a low risk, moderate reward pick. Not great, but certainly not the worst you can do with the #18 pick. He's certainly a surer bet than Pecherov, whom they gambled on a couple of years ago and doesn't look to be paying off so well.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 7:46 PM

It's well documented how Don Nelson is an idiot coach

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 6:32 PM

You mean that idiot Don Nelson with the .572 winning percentage? You mean 3-time Coach of the Year, Don Nelson? You mean the Coach of teams that have registered 50-or-more wins in 13 seasons, Don Nelson?

You mean the Coach that led his teams to 18 playoff appearances and ranks tied for ninth on the NBA's all-time playoff winning list with 75 post-season victories, Don Nelson?

You mean the Don Nelson that was named one of the top-10 coaches in NBA history by a panel of former coaches, players during the league's 50th anniversary?

That Don Nelson?

Yeah - I guess that Baron Davis would be the one I'd take sides with in that debate.....!!!!

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 7:50 PM

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 7:50 PM

Kal - not just unlikely.... probably closer to impossible.

Sure, unlikely trades happen all the time. The Gasol for Kwame Brown trade for instance. But what people fail to realize is what Memphis got in return for Gasol... They got rid of his $14 Million salary, in return for an expiring contract. They can be major players in the Free Agent market this off season as a result. So Memphis actually got VALUE for the trade.... Matter of fact, had the Wizards wanted to, they could have traded Jamison's expiring contract straight up for Gasol last year...

Right now, the Wizards have players that are of little VALUE to other teams.

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 7:58 PM

As I said before DC Man88... if you think the Wizards can trade the 18th pick and players to upgrade the team - make a presentation that:

1. Fits under the Salary Cap rules
2. Would have some Value to the other team involved.

Your initial offer of the 18th pick PLUS "other players" for Brand or Okafor is just too vague.

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 8:00 PM

Here's some help for you:

Link to the Salary Cap Faq:

Link to ESPN's Trade Machine:

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 8:03 PM

Actually Rook, a Davis for Arenas swap is technically possible. Both have opt out clauses this summer, both are looking for big raises, and there is supposedly a rift between Davis and Nelly, making a move on his part a possibility. The problems are that (A) there seems to be little reason to think Davis would want to come to the Wizards or that Arenas would want to go to Golden State and (B) Davis really does little to make the Wizards better. He's basically the same kind of player as Arenas only older and with a lengthier injury history. It's pretty funny that someone who rips Arenas for being hurt, having a disruptive attitude, and jacking up shots is openly advocating going after Baron.

Davis was practically on the scrap heap before Nelly took over in G.S. and instituted his patented Nelly-ball offense. It's exciting to watch, fun to play, fills up the scoreboard and players love it. But it doesn't win anything in the playoffs.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 8:19 PM

Ivan,

Please let us know of some way to voice support for roger mason staying a wizard if you can.

Posted by: chris | June 2, 2008 8:40 PM

Yeah Kal, I know that Davis for Arenas works.... Perhaps I should have challenged DC Man88 to come up with a trade scenario that:

1. Works under the rules
2. Would have some Value to the other team involved.
AND
3. Would IMPROVE the Wizards.

There's a real good blog entry on Truthaboutit.net concerning possible trade scenarios for Brand.... Which just goes to
show how difficult it is in the NBA to improve your team through trades... and how many permeations and options there are in the tricky world of NBA trades.. Especially if you want a top flight player like Brand.

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 8:53 PM

I've heard rumblings of a Detroit/Denver swap with Melo, Nene, and Steven Hunter going to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, and a draft pick or two. Nene and Hunter are included for cap reasons, as they both have pretty hefty contracts.

It works for both teams, Detroit needs a go to scorer and Denver gets some much need intangibles and defense with Prince and Sheed.

Anyone see a way that Washington could get in there for a guy like Prince, or even Rasheed? I am sure Detroit will have them on the block, and they would be perfect here.

Posted by: Ron T. | June 2, 2008 9:12 PM

The Wiz don't need another headcase which means they don't need Wallace. Plus, AJ is a better scorer and rebounder than Wallace.

Also, if you want Prince, then what do you do about Caron? Getting Prince won't upgrade the 4 with defense, nor would it establish a post presence.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:20 PM

Ron, that proposed deal is intriguing and leaves me with mixed feelings. As a Detroit native and Pistons fan, I'd be quite happy to see Rasheed and his drama gone, and I think Nene can be a real asset (assuming his health problems are behind him). On the other hand, I can't stand Carmelo Anthony and wouldn't relish the prospect of rooting for him. Also, having him on the Pistons in exchange for Prince would just serve as a cruel reminder that if Dumars was as good with picks at the top of the draft as he's proven to be with ones in the middle and at the bottom, the Pistons could, right now, have both Prince AND Anthony.

But I have to (*gulp*) agree with DC Man. Rasheed would be a terrible idea on the Wiz. The only reason there's even discussion of this Detroit/Nugget deal happening and any chance of it having any truth is because, like Larry Brown, George Karl is a member of the UNC mafia, and apparently there's some kind of Skull-n-Bones secret society thing that goes on with those guys. It's widely assumed that's why Rasheed behaved for Brown (as much as he does for anyone) and that would be the only reason to think he'd do it for Karl. (Yeah, I know Jamison and Haywood both went to UNC, but neither of them is the coach and in the player pecking order, Rasheed would be the alpha male over both of them.)

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:35 PM

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 8:19 PM "

Let's not go buckwild and oversensationalize a name that was brought up as a possibility in a trade, amongst other names mentioned, including Devin "Hester" Harris.

I haven't made up any signs yet nor do I plan to have a plane fly around DC with a banner that says "Trade Gilby for Baron."

Basically every name brought up by every person on this blog is pure conjecture. It's definitely not worth criticizing another blogger over a single point/player mentioned, but then again, it's typical Kalorama.

You bashed BTH continuously, and he proved everyone wrong this season. Do you see me getting on your case about that? I couldn't care less.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:36 PM

""EG, or any GM for that matter, can't be trusted as far as they can be thrown. EG has gone back on his words before, and besides, what else would you expect EG to say?"

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 7:50 PM "

You're basically repeating what I said which is that EG's words mean nothing.

Whether or not he can swing any deals, only time will tell, and will also depend on what he's willing to give up and what he's willing to accept as garbage.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:43 PM

"I couldn't care less."

The fact that you made a point of getting all pissy and snotty about it clearly suggests otherwise.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:45 PM

"You're basically repeating what I said which is that EG's words mean nothing."

Uh ... nope. But, hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:46 PM

Check yourself.

I responded to the Hibbert suggestion with counter arguments against Hibbert. In no way did I make a direct remark against anybody named "Ron" or yourself by saying:

"It's pretty funny that someone who rips Arenas for being hurt, having a disruptive attitude, and jacking up shots is openly advocating going after Baron."

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:50 PM

"Uh ... nope. But, hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:46 PM "

Maybe if you can explain a difference, then you can sleep better at night.

Me basically saying EG's words and promises via the press aren't only for PR purposes and worthless....nothing else.

"Doesn't matter what he says. All that matters is what he does. And given the realities of the situation, it is exceedingly unlikely he'll be able to do anything to acquire any of the players you mention."

Here's you saying EG's words are worthless also.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:53 PM

As for "counter arguments" ... you mean something like this:

"The problems are that (A) there seems to be little reason to think Davis would want to come to the Wizards or that Arenas would want to go to Golden State and (B) Davis really does little to make the Wizards better. He's basically the same kind of player as Arenas only older and with a lengthier injury history."

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 8:19 PM

That counter or argumentative enough for ya?.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:54 PM

"You mean Don Nelson? The coach of the 48-34 Golden State Warriors? You mean the second-winningest coach in NBA history, Don Nelson? You mean the Coach that's been in the League 29 years, Don Nelson?

That Don Nelson?

Posted by: Rook | June 2, 2008 7:50 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:58 PM

"Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 6:35 PM

There's you saying you don't believe Grunfeld when he says he has no intention of trading the Big 3, essentially calling him a liar.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 7:50 PM

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:58 PM

Oh, and I sleep like a baby, thanks.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 11:00 PM

"Here's me, believing him when he says he has no intention of trading the Big 3 and pointing out what I believe to be the main reason behind why he would say it (namely because he can't get anything better back in trade).

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:58 PM "

In case you didn't notice, but then again you did, since you said I called him a liar, well guess what, liars are not worth listening to.

And to which you agreed by saying:

"Doesn't matter what he says. All that matters is what he does. "

You're basically saying that his actions mean more than his words, to which I already said his words mean nothing and obviously direct actions mean everything.

Please note also that you shouldn't take the liberty of assuming that I said he wouldn't trade the big 3. In fact, what Gilby does is possibly out of EG's control. Gilby could opt out and go somewhere else for less money, a threat of which he has thrown on the table.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:06 PM

"Oh, and I sleep like a baby, thanks.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 11:00 PM "

Yeah, it's nice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:07 PM

"I checked myself. And myself still thinks you're full of crap. But that ain't exactly breaking news, y'know?

As for "counter arguments" ... you mean something like this:

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 8:19 PM

That counter or argumentative enough for ya?.

Posted by: kalorama | June 2, 2008 10:54 PM "

LMAO...and you accuse me of "criticizing poor Ron and you" and here you are criticizing me. Boo hoo.

Mr. Nitpicky (ska Kalorama) should be a bit more comprehensive and critique other players that I mentioned along with Baron to include Devin, Okafor, Josh Smith, etc., etc....

Good thing nobody listened to you about BTH, especially not EG.

Get off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:25 PM

"I'm glad you take so much comfort in stats that allow you to add up zero championships in his 29 years. Next thing is you'll start talking about Lenny Wilkens as a potential coach for the Wiz even though he's won nothing either.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 10:58 PM"

not having championships hardly makes him an "idiot coach".

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:42 PM

""It's definitely not worth criticizing another blogger over a single point/player mentioned" -DCMan88

"You mean like you just did when you criticized Ron for suggesting they trade for Rasheed? Or like you did when you criticized other people (including myself) for suggesting Grunfeld draft Hibbert? Seemed like you thought it was worth it then, huh?" -Kalorama"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:51 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 11:52 PM

"not having championships hardly makes him an "idiot coach".

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 11:42 PM "

I think it was clear to everyone that Donnie Boy ain't what he used to be when he benched his best player and leader in the critical last game of the season, and then said he did it because he didn't think their team could get into the playoffs and wanted to rest Baron. Huh?

Also, it was a brilliant move by Donnie Boy for not being able to relate to CWebb and thus forcing a trade of the rookie of the year. And then of course, Donnie Boy quit the next season after the franchise chose him over CWebb.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:56 PM

"Seriously DCMan, how do you do it? How do you just completely ignore your own points and try and twist the meaning of your own words? Do you not have any common sense?

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 11:52 PM "

Seriously, who are you?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:58 PM

"he never said anything about NOT criticizing, he's pointing out that YOU said not to criticize, when YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME. he's calling you a hypocrite. and he's correct.

Posted by: | June 2, 2008 11:51 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:59 PM

"It's sad how people here like to talk about other bloggers instead of focusing on the players. After all, this is the Wizards/NBA blog.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:59 PM "

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 12:10 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 2, 2008 11:59 PM"

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 12:11 AM

"See, not even a "ok I was wrong." or ANYTHING of that sort. Just more attacks on other people.

Posted by: | June 3, 2008 12:11 AM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 3, 2008 12:20 AM

"Typical. Deflect the topic, so you don't have to own up to the fact that you're a major douche.

Posted by: | June 3, 2008 12:10 AM "

Don't hold your breath, even if it stinks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 3, 2008 12:21 AM

Posted by: Steven | June 3, 2008 12:23 AM

"Why don't you stop attacking me and focus on the players. Even I don't ask for a "ok, I'm wrong" for your blatant harassment and attacks on me!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 3, 2008 12:20 AM"

LOL. Harassment? Why don't you grow a pair.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 12:33 AM

I hope Ivan and ML see these comments and realize that a login process would REALLY help keep this board clean.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2008 12:35 AM

jarobi i was thinking along those same lines. that there is a chance, some chance, that Gilbert does not handle his paperwork correctly and his opt out is voided after the fact. throw in a huge deal with the Heat that gets tossed as well and we're looking at Juwan Howard all over again. (Gilbert will have a lawyer do the paperwork and pay him hourly, I know).

Ivan missed my favorite "where have you been" from last summer league, a greying Toby Bailey.

Posted by: Monte | June 3, 2008 9:22 AM

"LOL. Harassment? Why don't you grow a pair.

Posted by: | June 3, 2008 12:33 AM "

LOL! That's almost as funny as someone here asking me for an apology.

LMFAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 3, 2008 9:26 AM

"DCMan and whoever is debating him....do you guys have a life? I swear DCMan spends all day looking at this board and nothing else. Go do something man.

Posted by: Steven | June 3, 2008 12:23 AM "

Don't you have anything better to do than to critique me? Go do yourself man!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 3, 2008 9:27 AM

Think about this: if Arenas walks because he's lowballed, would Jamison stay?
And if both walked, would we still be over the salary cap?

No and No.

Posted by: | June 3, 2008 11:35 AM

If Jamison and Arenas walk, would the Wizards be in better shape? NO and NO

For argument's sake, lets say the 2008-2009 Salary Cap is set at 58.5 million.
If you let both Jamison and Arenas walk, the Wizards would have 10 players
under contract, totaling approximately $42 Million. So the Wizards would be
$16.5 Million under the contract, and lacking 2 Roster spots to be in
compliance with the League rules.

If you sign your 1st Round pick to the 1st Round Rookie minimum... let's say, just
for arguments sake, that would be $1.450 Million... and Your 2nd round
pick to the Rookie Minimum $427K - Now the committed salaries are a little
over $44 Million... Still $14.5 Million under the cap...

SO - which TWO all-star players do you think you can sign to replace Jamison
and Arenas for a total of $14.5 Million?

Posted by: Rook | June 3, 2008 12:32 PM

Possible sign and trade that helps both teams ASSUMING players agree to resign and salaries can be matched:

Agent Zero to Toronto for Ivan Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, and Kris Humphries.

Wiz get pure PG they are seeking, a PF with legit size and length, and a banger off the bench in Humphries. This trade would help both teams and could meet salary cap requirements. Calderon is a true PG who would help both Caron and AJ (assumes he resigns) and Bargnani has a lot of upside. Humphries is a physical banger who could give some quality minutes playing behind Heywood.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 3, 2008 2:19 PM

Just an addition to the bit about Payton's trash talking. I was at Gill Coliseum at Oregon State the night Payton scored 58 against USC. Payton was somewhere in the 40s when he ran by USC coach George Raveling after making a ridiculously easy basket. GP yelled at him, "get someone out here who can guard me!" and the Oregon State student section went berzerk.

Posted by: Isaac | June 3, 2008 5:02 PM

As stated before, the Princeton offense doesn't need a pure PG, so why are people saying the Wiz need one? Not paying enough attention to the team and management. Nobody was calling for a pure PG when Larry and Gil were in the backcourt working well together. They may need a young quick PG player off the bench since those are the ones giving Daniels trouble. Doesn't have to be a pure PG as long as he has some PG skills.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 9:03 AM

The Wizards are an exciting team and should trade Gilbert for a potential All Star Center or tall power forward. I still don't like the stupid mascot and name Wizard. We should rename the team and keep playin exciting ball. Washington is doing a great job in sports and entertainment, but we really need to return the Redskins to its home within the city. It's sounds expensive, but FedEx Field is inconvenient. The Redskins need to play in Washington along the METRO line.

Posted by: Christopheur | June 10, 2008 3:11 PM