Workouts continue

Today's workout featured a few intriguing prospects including guard Mario Chalmers, whose clutch three-pointer gave Kansas a win over Memphis in the National Championship game, guard-forward Chris Douglas-Roberts, who was on that Memphis team and a young, skinny but very talented international prospect by the name of Rodrigue Beaubois.

Beaubois, a point guards listed at 6-0, 170-pounds, is a member of the French U-19 National team and played the last two seasons for Cholet. His numbers are hardly eye popping - he averaged a modest 4.8 points on 48.5 percent in 18 games last season - but the kid's athleticism is off the charts and NBA teams are clearly intrigued.
He passed on playing in the Reebok Eurocamp because several teams including the Wizards, Blazers, Bulls, Celtics, Suns, Hornets and Spurs lined him up for workouts.

Beaubois, who was discovered by Golden State Warriors swingman Mickael Pietrus at an open basketball camp in Pietrus' native Guadeloupe, was an early entry candidate last year but wasn't drafted. His English isn't great - thought it's certainly better than my French - so I couldn't get a very clear answer when I asked him about his intentions but he does remain under contract in France and could be the kind of guy a team takes and sticks back over there for another year or two of seasoning.

As for Chalmers, the most impressive thing I could pick on him was how smoothly he shot the NBA 3-ball. Granted, he was only going "around the world" in a post-practice drill, but it was obvious that he didn't have to strain to get the ball up there like some college guys do when they have to step back a couple of extra feet. Chalmers has long arms, was an excellent defender and shooter at KU and obviously is a winner.

I didn't get a great look at Douglas-Roberts because we only saw a limited part of the workout but one guy who did stand out was Courtney Lee, a guard from Western Kentucky. At the end of the workout, the Wiz set them up in a drill where they had to run a 2-man break up the floor and Lee was really explosive in filling the lane. Listed at 6-5, 200-pounds, Lee averaged 20.4 points on 47.7 percent shooting for a sweet 16 team last season.

In the same drill by the way, Beaubois took off and jack-hammered a couple of one-handed dunks. Like I said, the kid is very athletic.

-Coach Eddie Jordan attended the workout today. His assistants have been at the others but this was the first time I saw Eddie. He said he's been spending a lot of time with his family.

-The team hasn't put out a list of tomorrow's workout guys but I'll update when it's out.

-One of the readers had a question about Antonio Daniels and that sore left wrist. The word I've heard is that upon getting it checked out, Daniels did not require surgery.

-A word on Gilbert Arenas, who filed the paperwork to opt out on Friday: Everything I can gather tells me that he will be in a Wizards uniform next season. I see the Wizards offering as much as it takes to keep him - yes, that means the max - and him taking it.

- That said, I see two darkhorses out there and I do mean darkhorses. 1. Arenas is notoriously quirky, he grew up in Los Angeles and loves the Lakers. Just throwing that out there. Obviously, he'd have to take way less to pull such a move but he'd also know that he'd make a ton of money back in marketing.
2. Arenas is very close with Orlando GM Otis Smith from Smith's days with Golden State. With Howard, Lewis and Turkoglu, the Magic has pieces in place. The downside, other than taking less money, would be that Orlando is not a big market and I see Arenas wanting to go no smaller than DC.

By Ivan Carter |  June 10, 2008; 1:33 PM ET
Previous: Arenas opts out | Next: Wednesday's workout prospects

Comments

Question is whether Darrell Arthur is in the Wiz's radar.

I myself do see Gilby resigned here....out of desperation for continuity. But, will the Wiz have to go over the cap to sign both AJ and Gilby?

Wiz should draft big 1st round, small second round.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 2:25 PM

Good update, Ivan.

I don't think Eddie "just happened" to show up today. Probably wanted to get a look at someone the Wizards are especially interested in.

I don't care who the Wizards draft, as long as one of the following phrases is used to describe him: "excellent defender," "defensive stopper," etc. It would seem Chalmers, CDR, and Batum would fit that bill.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 2:26 PM

I might cry if we give Gilbert a max contract.

Posted by: Hugh | June 10, 2008 2:28 PM

Someone commented that we should get this dude from the Lakers, since they didn't play him. He'd be a good practice player with Sun Ming Ming on this team!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 2:32 PM

Plain and simple, Gilbert wants to be the "SHOW". Going to LA makes him a sidekick (Jamison) and going to Orlando would just be, sorry to be too layman, lame. Besides, why would a guy leave the country for 3 of the most important weeks of free agency???? Because he wants to stay. If he leaves, I'm pretty sure he will be great for whatever team plays for him. Just an opinion...I want him to stay

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | June 10, 2008 2:33 PM

Any word about DJ White? Has anyone on this blog seem him play? The write up on him and his numbers/measurements look good.

Posted by: mark | June 10, 2008 2:39 PM

He should come join my prison squad. He could feed me the rock under the hoop all day. And if he didn't, I'd give him that colon shank!

Posted by: Prison Balls | June 10, 2008 2:39 PM

Posted by: mark | June 10, 2008 2:43 PM

I would rather have hope then be stuck in mediocrity. Anyways its not just hope the blazers are a better team right now and will be in the future. The wizards are going NOWHERE with this current roster. Everyone on this site is a blind homer. Look around the NBA this team can't compete. You all are only lying to urselves...START OVER or get some new pieces b/c this team will never get past the 2nd round and will be lucky to get past the 1st.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:08 PM

Anon, this team IS competing. We've made the playoffs for a few years straight and might have advanced had we not met a team that mathes up well with us every year. I'd call that competing. You're right, though. I am a homer.

Posted by: mark | June 10, 2008 3:13 PM

The official wizards blog just threw up some vids, your right Beaubois athletic.

Posted by: dc man 87 | June 10, 2008 3:13 PM

I'm all about contuinity.....but only if we have a winning team. Who wants to keep together a team that struggles to make the playoffs than losses in the 1st round every year.

Also if we give Gilbert max money its basically the same as giving juwan howard max money. Yes Gilbert is a much better player but it will ruin the franchise for the next 6-7 years and we will be begging teams to takie him in about 3 years. I for one will not be a wizards fan any longer if Gilly signs max possibly if gilly signs at all. I just hope Grunfeld is smarter than that

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:14 PM

"For all the talk about Gil being quirky, it seems to me that at the end of the day every move he's made has been about getting paid. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying. The dude is crazy like a fox. He manipulates the media and public and created a persona not unlike what Rodman did. It generates interest and ....money. Smart guy. He's not going anywhere cuz we have the deepest pockets in this case.

Posted by: mark | June 10, 2008 2:43 PM "

Unfortunately, none of the quirky distractions result in any more wins or any more playoff success.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 3:19 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:21 PM

Mark they are competing but look at the other Big NBA cities if you lose in the 1st round a bunch of years in a row the fans arent happy and they want changes. The lakers lost in the 1st round 3 years in a row kobe asks for a trade they make a few changes and their in the finals. We lose 1st round 3 years in a row and we want to keep the same squad and talk about what could have been or if we stayed healthy. We make t-shirts and go crazy like we won the finals if we just make the playoffs. Its pathetic....Even ESPN made fun of that...Im sure the whole league does. The 1st round is nice the 1st couple times but I want more and dont see us getting it with this roster. So yes I would rather start over and have hope than be disappointed every year with a 1st round loss. The other option is sign and trade gilly and try to do something from there. Our record didnt change much with or without him so I dont understand why we wouldnt pursue this idea. Obviously it all comes down to the almighty dollar and they care more about fans in the seats then winning....thats the only way I can understand it.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:22 PM

"88,
Pat Ewing Jr. had a 42 inch vertical at the combine...3rd best EVER. After looking at his measurements, you're right. Ewing is really only 6'6" and has a standing reach of only 8'1" compared to McGuire being 6'7.75" with a standing reach of 8'8". Pat is a lot smaller than I thought he was. We're better of reaching for a backup pg in the second round and letting McGuire's game mature.

Posted by: mark | June 10, 2008 2:09 PM "

OMG!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 2:15 PM

Actually mark, if you look at the measurements and numbers, there is NO WAY Ewing's standing reach is only 8'1 - same as alligator arms Jerryd Bayless'? It's a typo and I bet you it should be closer to 8'10.5" standing reach because of the quite long wingspan of 7'0.25". Take a look at Joey Dorsey's measurements and you can almost see the same height and length relation to Ewing. Of course the big difference is Dorsey is about 40 pounds heavier than Ewing.

Going back to Ewing, he's probably not going to be better than DMac on the boards and hustle play even with that 42 inch vertical. Having that huge vertical doesn't mean much - look at NYoung. He had a better max vertical and standing vertical last year but did you see him dominate the boards or anything like that?

Having great measureables doesn't necessarily equate to success at those things that seem logical. It's how much you want it and how to use it. Too many other variables too.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:28 PM

Posted by: | June 10, 2008 3:21 PM "

I don't know what's more far fetched. This statement above, or saying AB won't get arrested ever again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 3:48 PM

The problem with our Wiz is not good enough defense even this year's efforts. Having Jamison as a 4 makes it more difficult to defend the paint. That's why Haywood works very well on this team since he can HELP cover for Jamison's lack of individual and team defense. But Haywood isn't a world class defender in the mold of Duncan or KG (who play with post counterparts that are good defenders as well). Conversely, Haywood is not a good enough offensive player that we can just stick a banger at the 4 who doesn't score much either - we'd be like Chicago and struggle to score enough.

That's just how the mix is in the NBA. There is such a dearth of big men who can play well (or even adequately) on both ends of the floor. If you have a team with semblance of that - they're more than likely contenders every year unless your perimeter players are just terrible which is unlikely as you can at least find good (maybe not exceptional) perimter players every year.

So the question for the Wiz is if they can feasibly find a better alternative to the Jamison/Haywood combo from anywhere.

BTW New Orleans starting roster is similar to the Wiz's except for a couple of small things. Chandler plays Haywood's role. West is very much a scorer like Jamison without the 3 ball but is much younger and is a better defender with a bit more size and strength. Dynamic CP3 is such a dynamic player, much like Arenas. He's a better passer but not as good a shooter and a little small. Neither are good defenders but CP3 puts out more effort on D. The way he plays and the offense is built, CP3 will always get lots of assists too since the ball is going to be in his hands 95% of the time. MoPete is somewhat similar to Stevenson and their roles. Only Butler is considerably better overall player than Peja's long range shooting. Peja does help them with spacing due to his shooting since CP3 isn't that much of a 3 point threat. Even Butler and Peja have something in common - they've both been quite injury prone the last 4 years. So you can see why NO was more of a threat with their post defense combo of Chandler/West than that of Jamison/Haywood with still enough firepower to take the Spurs to the edge.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:54 PM

A frontline of (an improved and stronger) AB and Haywood would definitely be good enough on a team w/ Arenas and Butler and maybe even Stevenson.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:59 PM

""I still hold hope that Gilbert will learn to play D. If he learns to be a top two-way player, he's worth max money. He has the potential. Smart, strong, super quick, fast reactions and hands, 6'-9" wingspan. Put it together, Gil!

Posted by: | June 10, 2008 3:21 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 3:48 PM"

Good catch, DC88! Gil's wingspan is actually 6'-9.5". Whiffed on that one.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 3:59 PM

"Good catch, DC88! Gil's wingspan is actually 6'-9.5". Whiffed on that one.

Posted by: | June 10, 2008 3:59 PM "

Hmm, my point was that it's a bit far fetched to think Gilby's going to turn into a two way player.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 4:10 PM

"To add to the above, AB can be that great 2 way post player in the near future if he ever gets his head screwed on correctly. Tough to believe with his actions so far but he is still young and also that's the reason why he was even available as a 2nd round pick!

Posted by: | June 10, 2008 3:59 PM "

I'm surprised EG has let it get this far. I guess since AB is "only" a 14 mil player, he's not worth having someone baby sit him to make sure he does the right thing.

Harvey Grant was too busy picking up hoochies and not AB's diapers.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 4:11 PM

Big athletic bangers I like in this draft that would possibly be available to the Wiz: DeVon Hardin, Joey Dorsey, DJ White, Richard Hendrix, and maybe James Gist.

Perimeter: Brandon Rush, Douglas-Roberts, Chalmers, Batum, Bill Walker.

All of these guys could contribute very well especially on defense. The perimeter guys can be good two way players with the exception of Bill Walker who could really be a great defensive player and athleticism.

I'd love to get Rush since he's got great size on the wing and can do so much without forcing things. Top notch athlete who will play good defense and score in different ways too. Good unselfish team player. I see a lot of Caron Butler in him, with a bit more athleticism and range on his shot. He's not as good as NYoung offensively, but he is much better at everything else. Rush and Caron can certainly combine to play the 2/3 positions effectively on the floor. Taking him will cause a bit of a logjam at the 2/3 spots but really good talent trumps all.

Hibbert can also be a solid player with some limited upside but you know what you're gonna get.

Lawson is OK but not that great considering he's not that good defensively either.

Making a play for free agent Chris Duhon (if he's willing to play backup) would be much better than Lawson. He will get plenty of spot up 3's that he can hit decently well compared to Lawson. He's a better defender and knows how to run a team already very well. If it doesn't cost too much, it makes too much sense not to look at him.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 4:18 PM

James Gist is not really a big banger.

He's caught between being a 3 and 4. He can run, jump scrap, and block shots, but has few offensive skills, plays like a stiff, and doesn't have much bulk to be a banger.

My guess is that he won't get drafted and will fade out of basketball discussions.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 4:22 PM

Sorry, I forgot to say Rush probably will be gone by 18 but you never know right? But if EG really likes him, he can somehow move a few spots up to get him.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 4:25 PM

Posted by: | June 10, 2008 3:08 PM

anon are you advising Ernie Grunfeld, or just like scolding the folks on this forum? Or you could move to your wet n wild State of Oregano if you like. It's only basketball, and none of us is getting paid to blog (except Ivan and Michael), so don't be too miffed at your viewpoint not getting traction.

A lot of folks on this forum have observed like you have that the Eastern Conference is only getting tougher with a lot of teams getting better. Point taken, but that the Wizards need to get blown up I think is something that Ernie won't do, unlike Dumars.

Posted by: another anon | June 10, 2008 4:26 PM

James Gist is not really a big banger.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 4:22 PM

Could be right, that's why I said maybe James Gist. I saw him play a few times and at times he banged in the post and then at other times he seemed too passive for me. He certainly has the athleticism but maybe not quite the build for heavy banging.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 4:38 PM

Long, Skinny, Athletic. Numbers don't really tell his talent. Throwing down one-handed jackhammers. Sounds like a young Antonio Daniels to me. That's why Eddie showed up.

Posted by: C.Bell | June 10, 2008 4:47 PM

Duhon would be a great addition.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 10, 2008 4:48 PM

Anon, I think Duhon would be a decent addition, depending on his salary demands. He plays defense, seems to have a high b-ball IQ and is a true PG. However, all these T(w)erps bandwagoners will cry foul, heheheh...

Posted by: CN | June 10, 2008 4:58 PM

If the Wiz have the money to sign Duhon, why not just keep Mason. If Arenas resigns, and that's just about a given because he'll make the most money here, Duhon would be the third point.

Mason has more flexibility since he can even play the 3 when Eddie wants to go small and get an extra shooter on the floor. I like Duhon as a player, just can't see where letting Mason walk for him is an upgrade.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Young used as a bargining chip to move up or get a Vet and Mason will be back.

Posted by: GM | June 10, 2008 5:18 PM

What ever happened to the comments Arenas made AFTER his initial comments about opting out????

Posted by: Max S | June 10, 2008 6:57 PM

Posted by: Max S | June 10, 2008 6:57 PM

"He originally said he would opt out so that he could sign a longer, max deal. However, well after that, he said he was opting out to take LESS money so that they could keep the core in tact. Obviously, its just Gilbert trying to get even more ppl to look at him (was this guy not loved as a child?), but shouldn't you guys as media personalities try to hold him accountable for what he says? It seems like the DC beat writers for all the newspapers are just overlooking his comments about taking less money and all just reverting back to the "max deal" talk......just my observation from diligently reading 30+ NBA articles every single day...

Posted by: Max S | June 10, 2008 6:57 PM "

It's like a clown in a circus act. Whatever he does, you just laugh, because in the end, he's still a clown.

I don't think any of the reporters put much credibility behind Gilby's words. Gilby is just another guy who likes to hear himself talk. Plus, if the reporters call him on his bluff, then Gilby will throw a hissy fit like he threw at the end of the season when he said he will stop blogging and stop answering the same questions.

Even Ivan got PO'd when Gilby lied to him and said he wasn't going to make his debut at the VC, but then had the grand entrance.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 10, 2008 8:40 PM

Posted by: kalorama | June 11, 2008 2:06 AM

"I think Duhon would be a nice pickup and could probably be had relatively cheaply. But he'll almost certainly have offers from teams where he'll have a better chance at regular PT. The Suns have been trying to find a backup for Nash as long as he's been in Phoenix, with no success. I could easily see them going after Duhon, as well as the spurs (since it's unlikely they'll re-sign either Stoudamire or Vaughan).

Posted by: kalorama | June 11, 2008 2:06 AM "

If Duhon is traded here, he will quickly turn into Chucky Atkins part deux. Duhon wants to start, but would have Gilby (assuming) and AD in front of him.

As I recall, Duhon wasn't happy in Chicago due to his lack of PT.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 7:43 AM

It was stipulated that if he was an option, he'd have to know that he'll backup and for a reasonable salary. But then again, you don't care as long as you get your word in - even if it's just rewording somebody else's post.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 8:39 AM

There were tons of unhappy cats there in Chicago this year. When your team is miserable and not meeting expectations during your contract year, you'll say anything especially PT so that you can show other teams your value.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 8:43 AM

Posted by: Dave | June 11, 2008 8:44 AM

"Who said anything about Duhon getting traded here? If he's here, he would sign as a free agent with the understanding he's a backup.

Posted by: | June 11, 2008 8:39 AM "

If you max Gilby and you give AJ what he wants, where is there room under the cap for Duhon? Therefore, there might have to be a trade.

I might do a Duhon for DS, and move NY to starter.

If Duhon is not traded here, and Wiz brass wants to sign him as a FA (AJ gone and Gilby stays), why would Duhon want to sign here and be 3rd string?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 8:47 AM

"I really hope Ivan is wrong about the Wiz signing Gil at all costs. Everyone forgets they tried to sign Larry Hughes to a big money deal and he left. That deal would have crippled the team and so would this one. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy and he hasn't proven he can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Yes, when healthy, he's the team's most exciting player and one of the league's top scorers, but this team would be better served to use that money on some inside help. I'll still hold out hope they'll do a sign and trade, even if they get 75 cents on the dollar.

Posted by: Dave | June 11, 2008 8:44 AM "

I couldn't agree more.

Once a dude who relies on his quickness to get his shot off, but now has issues with his wheels, then he's pretty much done.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 8:49 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 9:05 AM

"Or you could move to your wet n wild State of Oregano if you like."

What does that even mean? The whole post was just rambling about nothing.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 9:06 AM

Great post Dave....at least a few people understand that giving gilly all that money is going to hurt the team.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 9:07 AM

"nice attempt at a save but you're obviously pulling at straws to save face. nobody knows what the numbers will necessarily be for AJ to sign first, not Gil and then Gil will not sign for the max but it will be somewhere between what he was going to make and the max. Either of those figures are not written in stone, so it's not farfetched to think a REASONABLE offer that IF Duhon wanted any part in the Wiz, he'd fit in. That's all anon was saying.

Posted by: | June 11, 2008 9:05 AM "

So you figure the Wiz would rather have Duhon than to give the exact amount to Roger Mason whom everyone is confident won't be here because the Wiz won't be able to afford him?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 9:47 AM

I can't imagine how Ernie won't do something big this offseason. You can't keep coming back with the same core that only makes the first round. If Ivan is right about Gil thinking LA, why not do a sign and trade for someone like lamar odom. Sure, its not equal value, but wouldn't that type of player help the Wiz more than Gil would. The team has plenty of scoring and Nick Young will in time develop into a quality scorer. The idea of adding yet another low first round pick to the team and nothing more doesn't have me hopeful that next season will be any different than the past three.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 10:28 AM

I think EG does not enjoy being roasted by the press. He'd rather the player leave and SAY he did everything possible than to make the actual move to make a trade, and then be blamed for it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 10:30 AM

Roger played himself into a $3-4m/yr job last year. Reasonable amount for Duhon should be closer to 2m but if he wants more, then good luck to him.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 10:38 AM

No way to Odom! The guy has a world of talent at his size and skill set but puts to use maybe 30% of it. The more pressure packed the situation, the more he folds too - not a good thing at all.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 10:54 AM

Why would the Wiz want Odom when we have AJ already? Neither play D, and AJ is a better scorer. And, he's not a malcontent head case.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 11:15 AM

If you let Gil walk, why bring Antawn back? Now you have blown up the team. But remember, Abe has a reputation as being, shall I say, FRUGAL! Now, who do you replace them with? Or, better yet, who would come to play here?

Posted by: G-Man | June 11, 2008 12:42 PM

EG should be fired on the spot if Gilby walks. What EG should be doing is calling around the NBA to see who's willing to do a sign and trade for Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 1:16 PM

I live in Orlando and like GA, but I don't think it is possible with all of our money tied up. That is unless we trade Turk and some other pieces.

Posted by: sth | June 11, 2008 2:34 PM

"Or you could move to your wet n wild State of Oregano if you like."

What does that even mean? The whole post was just rambling about nothing.

Posted by: | June 11, 2008 9:06 AM

I'm sorry you could not understand an attempt at humor, while asking you not to be so insulting to the other folks on this forum who don't agree with you.
BTW only Grunfeld can do anything about the team's makeup, not anyone on this forum.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 2:43 PM

im glad to see im not the only one hoping for a sign and trade for gil. i like the guy, he's fun to watch, but i liked watching the TEAM play without him last year. lets get some help inside and a nice young impressionable point guard.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 5:38 PM

unless they can get brand from the clippers... just deal gilbert and aj and rebuild

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 6:24 PM

Keep Jamison, deal Arenas. While Jamison is getting rusty he provides veteran leadership and is fairly consistent. It'll be a sad day for fans when Arenas leaves but it's ultimately better for the franchise as Arenas did bring this upon himself. Opting out has too be the worst decision he can make if he wants to continue playing with Jamison.

Otherwise hopefully we can use the cap left to sign a big man like Brand so we don't get slaughtered at the boards.

Posted by: >> | June 11, 2008 11:52 PM

Send Gil to LA for either Bynum or Gasol. Easy call.

Posted by: Dellis | June 12, 2008 1:57 PM