Notes from summer league practice

The summer league squad got together for a practice this morning at Verizon Center and it was noteworthy who was running the point guard position: Dee Brown. Brown signed a two-year partially guaranteed deal yesterday and will run the squad when Las Vegas SL play begins Monday night against Portland.

-Brown clearly has the quickness at both ends to play in the NBA. The knock on him has been his lack of outside shooting touch. However, he said that playing in Turkey last season helped him improve in that area.
"You have to be able to shoot over there," Brown said. "You've seen those international games. You have to be able to knock down shots against those defenses or you can't play. That's something I really worked hard on."

-2006 second-round pick Vladimir Veremeenko was not on hand because he's been having issues getting a visa but president Ernie Grunfeld said he VV to be on hand today when the team practices.

-15 players are on the roster right now but the team will be trimmed to 11 or 12 players before leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday.

- Etan Thomas, who missed all of last season following open-heart surgery, is working out with the summer leagues and looked very good in the little bit of action we were able to see. Thomas, who will not go to Vegas, said he was cleared for full contact work last month and has been preparing himself with physical one-on-one games against Tony Massenburg (otherwise known as the ageless wonder.)

Thomas said he will be at full speed when camp opens in October. The issue has been his sternum, not the heart. The sternum had to heal fully before he could go out and take the banging and pounding that goes on in an NBA game. Today, he threw down some powerful dunks and said he felt great afterward.

-Former Georgetown guard Jonathan Wallace and former George Mason forward Will Thomas are among the free agents trying out to make the summer league squad.

-Funny moment from the day and one that reminded me of why being around this team is so fun. Dominic McGuire was conducting an interview in the hallway and was in the middle of a sentence talking about how he and the other young guys are going to be "more serious" this season when Nick Young popped out of the lockeroom and singing a Snoop Dogg song.

When Young turned the corner and saw McGuire being interviewed, he said: "Oh, my bad man." He then walked down the hallway and said: "No jokes this year. As a matter of fact Dominic, don't even talk to me all season."

Naturally, we all starting cracking up.

At almost the same time, Andray Blatche could be heard telling some teammate that he was going to " repossess" his car." Not long after this, all three walked down the hallway. Young turned to the media pack and busted out with: "I'm Gilbert, Dom is CB and Dre is Antawn. We're the new big 3!"

As I've said many times before, it's a fun group to be around.

-Blatche, who will play in SL, looks like he's putting on some muscle up top. He's clearly starting to grow into that body. He should dominate as a rebounder and shotblocker in Las Vegas no?

-Early impression of JaVale McGee: He's a legit 7-feet. That's not a fake listing. He also has crazy long arms. His hands nearly touch his knees. He runs the floor like a deer and moves very well. I mean, the kid is not clunky or awkward looking at all. This is no Peter John Ramos we're talking about (that's not hating on PJ, just making the comparison) He's raw but the size, quickness and athletic ability is there.

-Oleksiy Pecherov sat out of today's practice with a sprained left ankle. I didn't get a read on how bad it is but I'll find out more.

-The word is that Greg Oden will not play for the Blazers Monday night. That's too bad because I really wanted to see him go against McGee. The Wiz play Philly Wednesday, Cleveland on Friday, Houston on Saturday and close against Phoenix on Sunday. I'll be there for the last three games.

-Speculative starting unit depending on the seriousness of Pech's injury: Brown and Young at guard, McGuire and Blatche at forward and McGee at center.

By Ivan Carter |  July 11, 2008; 5:27 PM ET
Previous: Mason to Spurs, Dee Brown in? | Next: Arenas deal done

Comments

Uh oh... If our training staff made the diagnosis, they might have to amputate.

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 6:13 PM

Seriously though, thanks Ivan for a great blog post. Love the inside stuff.

I'm really looking forward to getting my Basketball fix on Monday.

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 6:14 PM

Nice update IC, keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Baltimore CJ | July 11, 2008 6:20 PM

I can't wait for Summer League!

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 11, 2008 6:27 PM

pecherov can't get out of his own way. can we accept the busted pick and cut bait.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 6:31 PM

Thanks for the update Ivan

Posted by: Emmet | July 11, 2008 6:38 PM

Gosh.....all this excitement....

Kinda reminds you of this time last season...

Oh wait....that didn't turn out so good.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 6:47 PM

good post ivan...

i'm feeling the Dee Brown pickup - at least if Agent Zed goes down we have a ball-handling guard that can push the tempo consistently. sometimes the break came to a creeping halt last season with AD at the point.
i'll be checking out all four games next week most of 'em seem to be at 8pm EST.

the wiz are getting the prime time love out in vegas!!

Posted by: el freako | July 11, 2008 7:00 PM

Gosh.....all this excitement....

Kinda reminds you of this time last season...

Oh wait....that didn't turn out so good.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 6:47 PM

-----

From some of the quotes out of Mini-Camp, it's clear that McGuire, Young and Blatche are trying to take the game a little more seriously.

Blatche is accepting a leadership role, at least in the Summer League practices - and is calling himself the Antawn Jamison of Summer League. He also looks to be about 10-15lbs heavier... all in the upper body; so it looks like he's been hitting the weights.

Dom McGuire has lost 10lbs so he can be quicker and says: "I've been working on my mid-range jumper, ball-handling, and I am trying to lose some weight, so I could get quicker on defense and be a lock-down defender for this team."

Young has been working out with former Washington Bullet Don MacLean (Priority Sports) at the 360 gym in Reseda, CA. Some top draft prospects were also there working out before the draft. Young has also been working with Shawn Dassie on a strength and conditioning program.

The proof is in the pudding.... Can't wait to see the results on Monday and the rest of the Summer League games.

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 7:07 PM

Ivan,

Who is most likely to take the 15th spot?

Assumptions:
Arenas, Daniels, Brown at PG
Stevenson, Young at SG
Butler, Blatche, and McGuire at SF
Jamison, Songalia and Pecherov at PF
Haywood, Thomas and McGee at C

I keep hearing that we need another SF. With Blatche likely to play more SF with Thomas back at center, isn't the hole more at SG?

Please give us your handicapping on the top prospects to stay from summer league or in a new signing like Barnes. It would seem that Gary Forbes at SG would be the best fit given his recent performance. Also, why not save the cap room for next year? The exception would be if Ernie is going to make a trade.

Posted by: ksm | July 11, 2008 7:27 PM

TV? Will they be on Comcast SportsNet this year?

Posted by: George Templeton | July 11, 2008 7:28 PM

"Yeah -except this year all the youngsters are a year older, and hopefully a year wiser.

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 7:07 PM "

Rook = second coming of Susan O'Malley

Glass ain't half full...it's spilling over.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 7:41 PM

Rook = second coming of Susan O'Malley

Glass ain't half full...it's spilling over.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 7:41 PM

---

DC Man88 = second coming of Scrooge

Bah, Humbug!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 7:44 PM

"DC Man88 = second coming of Scrooge

Bah, Humbug!

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:44 PM "

Correction.

Me be the second coming of Nostradamus.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 7:51 PM

Rook = second coming of Susan O'Malley

Glass ain't half full...it's spilling over.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 7:41 PM

------

So, In which of those statements of fact did you find the slightest inkling of over optimism?

Where I said the young guys would be a year older?

Where I said that Blatche looks 10lbs heavier in the upper body (reported on the Washington Wizards blog)... and shown in videos on the site.

Or where I copied what Dominic McGuire said about his summer?

Where was my optimism showing through? When I said "hopefully they'll be a year wiser" ??

Or "the proof is in the pudding" ?

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 7:52 PM

Or perhaps when I said Young was reportedly working out with Don MacLean (DraftExpress) ?

I do have a certain amount of reservation about how much the young guys can contribute this year - but unlike you, I don't make EVERY POST about something negative.

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 7:56 PM

DC Man88 = the second coming of my last bowel movement.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 7:57 PM

BM Man88

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 8:17 PM

"DC Man88 = the second coming of my last bowel movement.

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:57 PM "

Great, as long as your mom slurps every last morsel of that brown stuff.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 9:09 PM

I really don't understand why DC Man 88 is even a fan of the Wizards, well, a supposed fan.

For all we know, he's typing while hanging from LeBron's short 'n' curlys.

Do yourself (and us) a favor and go find a team that you are comfortable rooting for.

Every post I've ever seen from DC Man 88 is negative......you got problems brotha.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | July 11, 2008 9:56 PM

Rook, tell me again why you even responded to BM Man? See he knows your weekness as well as that of many of you on the blog...ya love to hear yourselves talk and express your universal intelligence. Loose your ego and just maybe u would not be involved in these pointless back and forths... I doubt it however, you really love to let us all know exactly how proficient you are basketball-wise. Try ignoring him however.

Posted by: Skeefo | July 11, 2008 10:10 PM

Hey Skeefo - just trying to participate in a discussion about Basketball issues...

I'm a fan... I like to discuss the team. I like to hear other's opinions of the team, it's players, Management, Coaches, the Owner, other teams, the League etc...; and I even don't mind criticism... even of my own posts - IF someone can discuss in a friendly, non-confrontational manner.

If I find a tid bit of news, I post it here... along with a link if I have one... and look forward to getting the latest news, rumors and yes, even gosip about the Wizards here.

There are lots of us with the same interest. The Wizards.

Most people on this blog submit reasonable, intelligent and logical posts. Some post absolute drivel - but are still welcomed into the converstation.... Some, including myself, are interested in learning more about the rules of the League (shout out to Kalorama for his information in this area)... Some are interested in discussing history of the Wizards/Bullets (GM seems to have lots of insight)... And there are others as well.

Not everyone agrees. There are spirited discussions. Disagreements - even some bitter arguments. But in the end, most here respect the other posters. I particularly like the Haywood vs. Etan arguments. (although I don't have a strong opinion either way)...

But there are a select few (very few), that are just here for confrontation, negativity, and vitriol (my favorite word).

I'll continue to post here. Asking for information if I need to know something. Providing information if I know something someone else doesn't. Reading about my favorite team. You don't like it? Well, you are free to express your opinion, just like everyone else.

Posted by: Rook | July 11, 2008 11:03 PM

Rook, I just want to say I really enjoy and appreciate your posts.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 11:12 PM

uh, have you read any of the recent academic research that has been done on the life and times of Nostradamus?

the guy was apparently basically a fraud and a plagurist.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 12:09 AM

DC Man88 read? LOL, I doubt it.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 12:23 AM

"DC Man88 = the second coming of my last bowel movement.

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:57 PM "

Great, as long as your mom slurps every last morsel of that brown stuff.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 9:09 PM

"DC Man88 = the second coming of my last bowel movement.

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:57 PM "

Great, as long as your mom slurps every last morsel of that brown stuff.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 9:09 PM

"DC Man88 = the second coming of my last bowel movement.

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:57 PM "

Great, as long as your mom slurps every last morsel of that brown stuff.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 9:09 PM

"DC Man88 = the second coming of my last bowel movement.

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:57 PM "

Great, as long as your mom slurps every last morsel of that brown stuff.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 9:09 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 1:32 AM

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting fed up with the people running this low budget team call the Wizards. Do E.G. really think this team, the way it is currently constructed is actually good enough to win the big prise in the league. I'm sick and tired of this "when we were healthy we had the best record in the league". Ok Gil was playing out of his mind at the time and when he started to cool BAMM, back to a .500 team. The fact are
1. Gil demands too many shots for a point and his gambling nature kills team defense. He needs to take 5 to 10 less shots and he's to quick to allow players to run past him like he's standing still ( don't get why he can be a great defender)
2.Jamison my score 20 and 10 but he couldn't guard my 7 year old son. Don't tell me how your a team leader when your 6'9 and you shoot mostly jump shots and don't empty your soul on the defensive end.In the words of Mark Jackson, AJ YOUR BETTER THAN THAT.
Last but not lease. M. Jordan said it best long before he worked for this owner. If you don't want to spend the money it takes to win a chip SALE THE TEAM!!!!! Come on AP your a rich man million, billionaire you know it takes money to make money. Do you really want to win a chip like you told the washingtonpost or does it just sound good in theory. How many teams keep 14 players on there roster to save a buck, Ok how many teams in the last five years or more has won a chip and not exceed the luxury tax. (PAY THE MONEY) I'm sick of seeing other team partying down the street and me turning the station. I recently moved to the Wilmington De. area and I'm telling you Abe these trash Philly fans bet not win a chip before I do, because as cheep as you are it might kill you to lose this little bit of money you get from me wit season tickets. I"M TIRED OF WINNING CHIPS ON MADDEN AND 2K. I just had to vent OUT!!!

Posted by: kevin | July 12, 2008 4:24 AM

s my d, kevin!

Posted by: disngr | July 12, 2008 6:20 AM

Hey DCMANN, please S my D while i take an S all over your M's T's.

Posted by: DATNGR | July 12, 2008 6:22 AM

god bless.
F kev and dcman

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 6:23 AM

DCMANN,
Riddle me this? Who's Teabag was more insightful, Haywood's or Etan's? Respond in seven words or less.

Posted by: JDBS | July 12, 2008 6:26 AM

It should be 'Ships not "chips" you are trying to win Kevin. And simply spending money is not going to win you a 'ship - see the Knicks.

Posted by: MD | July 12, 2008 8:35 AM

if there is one thing Kevin has learned from playing 2k it's how to win chips everybody needs to pay attention to that man!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 8:47 AM

IVAN -

Get your bosses to foot the bill for a blog moderator. Way too much garbage on here. You basically have a cornered market on Wiz info because the national scribes ignore them so this could be a great blog. But there is way too much goofy crap on here.

Posted by: Get a grip | July 12, 2008 8:54 AM

MMMMMMMMMM chips.

Posted by: Homer S. | July 12, 2008 9:02 AM

I agree. Who enforces rules on this site?

"...reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed."

Posted by: oddjob | July 12, 2008 9:18 AM

Pardon my whitebread brain, but what does this mean?
"I'm sick of seeing other team partying down the street and me turning the station."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 9:26 AM

IVAN -

Posted by: Get a grip | July 12, 2008 8:54 AM

Ivan, the guy's right.

It's a great blog, but it's punctured by a lot of name-calling and posturing and the kind of stupid, aggressive moves you find in drunk people at bars. I would characterize it all as "childishness," but it's not that. Not exactly. It's narcissistic. It's onanistic.

Sure, this kind of thing, this nastiness and self-aggrandizement, is all over the Internet. But I expect more, and better, from a legitimate, distinguished publication like The Post.

Do it, Ivan. Get a moderator and edit out the inanities. Please.

Posted by: TK | July 12, 2008 9:26 AM

Posted by: kevin | July 12, 2008 4:24 AM
-----

Kevin - here are the economics of the situation...

The Wizards are over the Salary Cap - therefore the only way they can sign another player is with the Mid-Level Exception ($5.585 Million).

If the Wizards spend that $5.6 Million (rounded) on a player they would go about 3.5 Million over the Luxury Tax.

By going over the tax line, they will have to pay a dollar for dollar tax... so another $3.5 Million - AND they would forfeit the tax payment for teams that stay under the tax line. That payment is roughly $4 Million. Please keep in mind that these are rough estimates.

Ok. So to wrap it up... Spend $5.6 Million on another player, Pay the $3.5 Million tax, forfeit the $4 Million payment = $13.1 Million dollars.

Which player out there do you think is worth $13.1 Million dollars?

And, more importantly, which player out there will come to Washington to play for $5.6 Million?

(By the way - to answer your question about how many Champion teams were under the tax? I can think of one, right off the top of my head... The San Antonio Spurs have never paid into the Luxury Tax.. and they've done pretty well in the "Chip" department)

Posted by: Rook | July 12, 2008 9:33 AM

Blatche needs to fill out everywhere, not just his arms. If he plans on holding his ground in the post that power comes from the hips and core strength. He'd get more out of a summer running into T-Mass and Etan than he did those summers shooting 15 footers with Harvey Grant.

Its a stretch for me to say he should dominate the summer league in rebounding. Rebounding is mostly effort. Is he going to play all-out or just good enough to get by? There are guys in Vegas who don't have a guaranteed contract and are desperate for a roster spot. Can he match their intensity?

Should be fun to watch either way.

Posted by: Monte | July 12, 2008 10:05 AM

I don't think this blog needs moderating--look what's that done to the RealGM Wizards' board: every time a new thread is started there it's locked by a mod and merged into some other thread that's been running for a year and has 70 pages of entries.

What this site needs is two software tweaks--first, no annoymous posting, and second, simple registration of all nicks. One reason DCMan88 gets away with his tiresome 'yo' mama' obscenities (and BTW, I'm one of those people who agrees with some of what he has to say about the team) is because other commenters can use his nick. That shouldn't happen.

However, as we all know, the Post is coughing blood financially and is basically run by interns, now they've bought out all their old writers and editors. So there's no way anything will change here without volunteer help. The situation is the same with the New York newspaper blogs--and they're way nastier and more mindless than this one. Plus the Knicks make the Wizards look like a class organization. As for the Sixers: I'd be scared of them, except they just signed Jarvis Hayes.

Posted by: KTV | July 12, 2008 10:20 AM

Rook, TK, oddjob, Get a Grip,

I couldn't agree with you all more. Half the time I have no interest in reading the comments on this blog b/c so many of them are trash. I'm not for censorship, but at the same time, all the great posts by Kal, rook, etc get mixed in with the garbage, and it can be too hard to sort through.

Ya'll know of any other good Wizards blogs that don't have this problem?

Posted by: CRitch | July 12, 2008 10:21 AM

bulletsforever.com

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 10:31 AM

This is why we need Matt Barnes

Posted by: sds | July 12, 2008 10:54 AM

So, I guess now we all realize that AB was actually rushing off to get an early start lifting weights, when he got busted.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 12, 2008 11:03 AM

And DMac's comments about wanting to become the team's defensive stopper just bring to mind what I've said before about wishing he would have been on the floor against LeBron for a few minutes in the playoffs. We all know that he would have been taught a few lessons, but at least it could have served as motivation and highlight where he needs to improve.

Does anyone else think that these young guys seem to have been reading all the posts complaining about their behavior?

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 12, 2008 11:11 AM

Posted by: Domo | July 12, 2008 11:20 AM

"DC Man88 = second coming of Scrooge

Bah, Humbug!

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 7:44 PM "

Correction.

Me be the second coming of Nostradamus.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 11, 2008 7:51 PM

Yeah, but Nostradamus has been right much more often.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 11:46 AM

Nostradamus was a Quack from Salzburg.

Scrooge was a Miser from London (or Duckburg depending on your literary tastes).

Anyway I would rather have Scrooge running my team. After all, didn't he find redemption by helping a kid who was hobbling on one leg to get proper medical attention, so that he could say finally say "God bless us, every one"?

There was a fat goose involved in there somewhere,too.

Anyway I look forward to seeing how the kids do in Summer Camp, by Ivan's last posting it seems they are taking it in the right spirit...

Loved the Rex Walters triple double comment! And who was that 6'10" forward the Bullets signed out of the preseaon one year, who had no desire to mix it up inside but somehow scored 28 or something in one early regular season game and then promptly partied himself off the team?

It's that time of year!

Posted by: khrabb | July 12, 2008 12:57 PM

Like to hear more how Dom McGuire is developing this year, since he may likely be one of CB's main backups this year.

So he's been working on his mid-range game. That's a start.

Posted by: Tim | July 12, 2008 1:02 PM

Is this off season too soon for McGee to attend a big man's camp (after summer league play) to learn post moves?

It seems like rookies always wait a year to do these type of things including more work on conditioning. I say let's get started ASAP.

Posted by: Tim | July 12, 2008 1:07 PM

nads

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 3:25 PM

DC Man88 comparing himself to me is like Harold Miner comparing himself to Jordan.

Posted by: Nostradamus | July 12, 2008 4:35 PM

Yeah, but Nostradamus has been right much more often.

Posted by: | July 12, 2008 11:46 AM

Actually, do a little research and you will find out the opposite is true. Idiotamus.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 6:00 PM

Opech is hurt...big surprise..NOT!!! What a scrub?!?! Talk about Mr. Glass.

The three goofballs - N. Young, DMac and Blatche - are still goofballs. Not surprised. That is why the Wiz may be lottery bound after next season.

The Wiz has the Mr. Glass syndrome. Someone is always hurt and they always happen to be the among the highest paid players on the team.

Posted by: Baller4Life | July 12, 2008 6:15 PM

Baller4Life, you are not much of a "baller" - all you do is criticize.

Disser4Life is more like it....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 6:27 PM

BM4Life

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 6:39 PM

hi wiz fan whats good . well see this team in a good place we got good up and coming player like d mac ab nic y and that new guy v mcgee . and we are keep them too . not like befor when we just let them go to other team and win chips or ship so lets this be a good thing we will win games . win playoffs, pass the frist round .and maybe one day soon the nba ships we got the goods, so lets just see what this wiz team can do. my frist time posting, so take its ez on me

Posted by: boom187 | July 12, 2008 6:46 PM

Posted by: Dee Brown not a bad deal | July 12, 2008 7:00 PM

Yeah, but Nostradamus has been right much more often.

Posted by: | July 12, 2008 11:46 AM

Posted by: | July 12, 2008 6:00 PM

Hey, I noticed you signed your name Idiotamus.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 7:22 PM

yo mama

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 8:22 PM

yo mama

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 8:22 PM

The point I was trying to make was, Blow the team up and build around C. Butler for the time being. Detroit is about to do just that. The team is good enough to make the playoffs but nowhere near good enough to win a championship. Is that better for you people, This team with the stars then have can win it all. There the 3rd best team in there conference. Sad because I've been a season ticket holder longer than most of you on here has been a wizard/bullets fan. Its time to go in a different direction. Boston didn't until they did just that.

Posted by: Kevin | July 12, 2008 10:05 PM

Kevin,

You are nuts.....and I must remind you the Wizards beat the Celts 3 times during the regular season - without our star player.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 12, 2008 11:13 PM

Going a different direction with regards to personnel does have some merit. I do not believe this team needs to be blownup, but you cannot have serious defensive shortcomings at the critical positions of point guard and power forward. A team could win with one or the other, but not two (and starting no less). Given the Wiz's choices it seems to me that they have to bring AJ off the bench and start AB. His defense will create more points and stop even more than AJ's defense will create for the other team. I believe this simple lineup may provide a seachange of results especially with regards to Wizards defensive toughness.

Posted by: Skeefo | July 12, 2008 11:16 PM

A seachange.... wow...

Posted by: Rook | July 12, 2008 11:44 PM

Yes they did beat them 3 times, but the playoffs is a completely different season. Its hard when you have to match up wit a team every other night when I team knows your plays and each time you have the ball counts. The wizards have 2 major problems when it comes to the playoffs. 1. There not disciplined enough. 2. AJ can't match up with any PF in the east defensively, and if you know basketball, he who wins the post in the playoffs win the war, and the wizards don't match up well in that way. phoenix beat up on SA here in and out but they can never beat them in the playoffs. The playoffs is a slower game so we need to make some major changes. People wonder why Cleveland win some much in the playoffs DEFENSE. learn the game.

Posted by: Kevin | July 13, 2008 1:09 AM

Yes they did beat them 3 times, but the playoffs is a completely different season. Its hard when you have to match up wit a team every other night when I team knows your plays and each time you have the ball counts. The wizards have 2 major problems when it comes to the playoffs. 1. There not disciplined enough. 2. AJ can't match up with any PF in the east defensively, and if you know basketball, he who wins the post in the playoffs win the war, and the wizards don't match up well in that way. phoenix beat up on SA year in and out but they can never beat them in the playoffs. The playoffs is a slower game so we need to make some major changes. People wonder why Cleveland win some much in the playoffs DEFENSE. learn the game.

Posted by: Kevin | July 13, 2008 1:10 AM

Just wanted to echo the sentiments to get rid of the anonymous posting and require users to login to post; I know DC Man88's a moron, but I think others take advantage of that and post a lot of crap using his name that makes him look even worse (he doesn't need any help, folks).

Posted by: Jim | July 13, 2008 1:11 AM

Forget all this boring stuff. Let's manufacture some Vince Carter trade rumors. Daniels, Nick Young, Etan and a 1st for Carter. 2010 expirings and a young talent sounds like just what NJ wants. Carter solves our biggest starting 5 weakness (shooting guard). all of carter's weaknesses (which are mostly mental) don't matter here (no late game pressure, no leadership needed, he already has friends on the team). it's the only realistic possibility for putting us over the top. i'm somehwat happy with continuing to be a B+ team but i'd be ecstatic to bump up a grade and have a real shot at the title.

Posted by: Pindar | July 13, 2008 1:45 AM

"I believe this simple lineup may provide a seachange of results especially with regards to Wizards defensive toughness."

The lineup change "may" result in a seachange with regards to results/wins. Rook, do not let your personal issues cloud your understanding of what is written.

Posted by: Skeefo | July 13, 2008 2:26 AM

I was just marvelling at your use of the word: seachange....

even though it's supposed to be sea change...

I usually don't see Shakespearian words used in this blog.

Posted by: Rook | July 13, 2008 8:40 AM

Pindar, do you really think trading Nick Young for Vince Carter is the answer, I don't, not at all. Vince in my opinion is one of the most overrated players in NBA history. He's a phenom athletically and can score but has no heart, doesn't play D and needs to be "the man" but doesn't man up in big games.
Nick will be just as effective scoring in a few and makes a lot less money.

Posted by: zxhoya | July 13, 2008 8:47 AM

Bringing VC in is not the answer for the Wiz...that would give them the BIG 4, all of whom are perimeter players. If the Wiz are to really become a contender for the "chip", the next BIG whatever needs to be an in-the-paint of allstar quality.

The Knicks have got to be willing to consider a deal for Zach Randolph, at this point--perhaps draft picks and an expiring contract in 2 years? They certainly have more than enough PFs on their roster.

Posted by: oddjob | July 13, 2008 9:03 AM

What if Javale turns out to be a stud, what if Brendan improves on last year, what Etan returns to his previous self, what if Gilbret comes back 100%. I know that's a lot of what if's but every team in the NBA has those same if's. I believe the Wiz need to stand pat and let the season play out, I think Ernie has done a wonderful job and I trust his judgement.

Posted by: zxhoya | July 13, 2008 9:44 AM

No to Zach Randolph.

Posted by: zxhoya | July 13, 2008 9:46 AM

I see the Wiz have narrowed down to the summer league roster and have this guy Gary Forbes, several people on this blog seem to be so high on...a 6'6" SF/SG. Does anybody know why he transferred out of UVA to go to a lesser conference?

I certainly hope this is not Ernie's #1 option for the final Wiz roster spot! They dont need another project, at this point. They need a proven veteran scorer/defender off the bench.

Posted by: oddjob | July 13, 2008 9:55 AM

Great coverage Ivan. I really like this team this year. Just need to stay healthy. I think a healthy Etan would be a huge lift for this team. Big and physical is gonna be in demand this year.

Posted by: JeffNYC | July 13, 2008 10:21 AM

Gary Forbes is another scorer but supposedly a really terrible defender as well. No lateral movement whatsoever, an AJ at 2/3 position. Not really what we need.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 1:16 PM

According to wizbulletman0 on the wizards blog the summer league roster is set.

Vytas Danelius, Mike Peeples and Will Thomas have been cut to bring the final SL roster to 12.
Good luck to Will Thomas.

Posted by: zxhoya | July 13, 2008 1:16 PM

Why isnt Etan playing on this summer league team, since he has been cleared to endure full contact? Certainly he could use the reps and conditioning, as he must be very rusty having sat out an entire year. This would appear to be an ideal place for him to get his wheels moving again before training camp. I hope its not just an ego thing. And he could certainly take the spot of someone like Jonathan Wallace, who was clearly overmatched in Portsmouth and Orlando and has no chance of ever getting a sniff of the NBA. I understand the desire to make nice and do the local team a favour by bringing this guy along, but why do the Wiz need 3 midget PGs in Vegas -- how may do the Wiz need to look at on their summer league team? This could be some valuable rehab time for Etan, and an oppty to see how our young bucks play with the vet center in game situations.

Posted by: oddjob | July 13, 2008 1:45 PM

Do we all agree that of all the UFAs that were available this year, GA and AJ have to be ranked in amoung the top 10?

If so, then the Wiz are the only team to have signed two top 10 FAs this off season. Put that in your pipe and smoke on it for a while.

And make that two scoops for you Ernie! Bravo Zulu.

Posted by: bravo zulu | July 13, 2008 1:54 PM

etan not quite ready to play yet, i guess... but if he were this would be a good showcase for him.

i am pretty confident we will sign a 3 to back up caron though.

Posted by: khrabb | July 13, 2008 1:56 PM

Skeefo, Blatche hasn't done enough to push a consistent player like Jamison out of the lineup, YET. AJ's 20-10 season last year was one of the best of his career. He's not one of the best defensive power forwards in the league, but remember he gives the other guys fits too. And last year the D was improved from previous years.

Sure if Blatche and Young mature and push their way into the starting lineup or even the top 8 on a consistant basis this will be a better team. I think that's Rook's point about his exictment about the summer league. If these guys are serious about taking a big step, tomorrow's the time to show it.

Matt Barnes maybe who Ernie's thinking about for that last roster spot. Are the Wiz waiting til Gil Inks his final deal to see how much room they really have? My quess is Barnes is not the guy that the Wiz would go over the Luxury Tax to get.

Blatche, McGuire, Young and Dee Brown will be the guys to really watch in Summer League. Blatche McGuire and Young all have the chance to be rotation players next year.And is Brown good enough to develop into a backup point to replace Daniels in a year or two?

Anything promising from McGee and Pecherov will be icing on the cake since they are both going to be pretty far back in line at the 4 and 5.

Posted by: GM | July 13, 2008 2:07 PM

It seems that Maggette has his own opinion about the Brand situation. He also gave props to the Wizards Organization for their handling of Jamison and Arenas:

"I've got Elton's back. I know what kind of guy he is. Bottom line is, when you feel like you're wanted, that's where you want to be," Maggette said. "Elton wanted to be there in L.A. But he just felt like they didn't treat him right. He was supposed to be their franchise player. But from what he told me, it seemed like they made him feel like they didn't care either way.

"He should be a Clipper right now. It should've never got to that. Look at Washington and Antawn Jamison. They said they wanted him, and they gave him a new deal right away. The first day. Then right after, they did the same with (Gilbert) Arenas. That's what should've happened."

Posted by: Rook | July 13, 2008 2:18 PM

To your question, oddjob, Thomas is not eligible to play in the Summer League.

Summer league participants have to have 3 years or less of NBA experience.

It's really a place for the young players (rookies, etc) to get some real NBA style game experience... and for undrafted players to try to showcase their talent to make a team.

Posted by: Rook | July 13, 2008 2:24 PM

Posted by: GM | July 13, 2008 2:07 PM

Exactly - I'm especially curious to see if Blatche, Young and McGuire take a more mature approach this year - especially this Summer and going into training camp.

As for Summer League play:
I'd like to see if Young can play within the Offense.
I'd like to see McGuire make some mid-range jumpers.
I'd like to see Pecherov show some defense and rebounding.
I want to see how much Dee Brown has improved his shot.
I want to see if my original assessment of the Wizards #1 Pick (JaVale McGee) is right or wrong. (All during the weeks preceeding the Draft, I said he had major bust potential)..

Posted by: Rook | July 13, 2008 2:38 PM

It doesnt sound like Pech will play all that much due to an ankle injury. Which should give some more time for V2...maybe he is another option for Ernie as a backup to CB at the 3 next season. Also interesting that V2's coach is going to be the asst coach of the Wiz summer league team. I guess Ernie is trying to create a Russian pipeline for the Wiz. If V2 looks good and they can sign him and Barnes, maybe the Wiz should send both OPech and JMac to the D league this year, where they could play together.

Thanks for the clarification on why ET is not playing in the summer league.

Posted by: oddjob | July 13, 2008 3:49 PM

sea change is two words thanks

Posted by: Anonymous | July 13, 2008 4:04 PM

My best friends kelly told me she met a black guy at a club called ----Black white meet . co m ----where many black and white singles how like sports there. I'm a white girl, can I meet my black guy there? Single guys, will you find your girl there?

Posted by: Molly | July 15, 2008 3:50 AM

I'm a hot black single girl, I feel lonely... What I really need is love, Feel free to chat with me on "Mixed mingl e . c o m" where i upload my photos and many black or white singles seeking love online.

Posted by: carrie | July 15, 2008 5:27 AM

I am an open-mineded single girl and I love sports. I want to end my single life by meeting a guy who0 likes sports too. Let's mingle at the club ==== Mixed Mingle . c o m====where love is color blind(my username there is crazygirl).

Posted by: Yavonna | July 17, 2008 2:28 PM