Summer league roster announced

The Wizards released the names of players who will attend a mini-camp for summer league at Verizon Center next week. The list, which could change, includes the obvious guys: Andray Blatche, Nick Young, Oleksiy Pecherov, Dominic McGuire and JaVale McGee.

Other prospects include F Vytas Danelius (Lithuania/Wake Forest), G Dontaye Draper (Charleston), F Frank Elegar (Drexel), F Gary Forbes (Massachusetts), F Taj McCullough (Winthrop), G Mike Peeples (Farleigh Dickinson), G Jason Rich (Florida State), F Will Thomas (George Mason), G Jonathan Wallace (Gtown) and 2006 second round pick Vladimir Veremeenko who has been in Russia the last two seasons.

It's going to be interesting to finally see Veremeenko play live after reading about him and seeing small snippets on the internet the last two seasons. Don't look for him to be on the roster come October however because he has a pretty restrictive contract in Russia and I don't see the Wizards carrying more than 14 players into the regular season.

The Wiz open play in the Las Vegas summer league on July 14 and play five games between that night and the 20th. I'll be there for the last three games from the 18th to the 20th.

By Ivan Carter |  July 8, 2008; 12:12 AM ET
Previous: Happy 4th | Next: Free agency gets rolling

Comments

Thanks for the update. The Summer League should be very interesting.

Posted by: Jeremy Bauserman | July 8, 2008 12:29 AM

Where is bill walker?is he not goin to play in nba?go to europe?

Posted by: John | July 8, 2008 12:45 AM

Bill Walker was traded for cash during the draft.

Will be curious to finally see Veremeenko.

Posted by: MDS | July 8, 2008 12:50 AM

Thanks Ivan! I am really psyched to see the summer league games! FYI games will be broadcast on Comcast as well as on NBATV.

I am really looking forward to seeing Veremeenko and McGee, and also Jonathan Wallace. Hoping Nick Young doesn't still look so goofy, and DMac's shot is lookin smoother. Pecherov hopefully looking like he has a clue how to play.

I wonder who is coaching the team?

Ivan, any idea who the Wizards are eyeing as far as Free Agents now that they got the deal in place with Gil??

I'd really like either Matt Barnes or Mikael Pietrus. Also why do you keep saying they will only keep 14? That doesn't make any sense! If we sign just one FA with our MLE, and keep someone like Wallace as a non-drafted invite as 3rd pg for the league min, that would give us 15 without Veremeenko. I would think we would make these two basic moves! Otherwise why did Arenas take less? He took less and we still can't fill a full roster?!?!

I thought the short roster last season was a fluke? I don't remember us ever doing that before. I hope that isn't our new "strategy"!!

Posted by: Darnell | July 8, 2008 1:40 AM

Bill Walker has probably suffered 28 more leg injuries between the draft and today

Posted by: InsideHoops.com | July 8, 2008 1:51 AM

Among the free agents, the only guy with impressive numbers is Will Thomas from George Mason.

Posted by: rgz | July 8, 2008 1:52 AM

Also, I can't wait to see if Andray Blatche has added anything to his game yet. Hopefully he obeys all traffic laws going to and from summer league, too.

Posted by: Jeff | July 8, 2008 1:53 AM

The player I actually most want as a FA is Matt Barnes. He is 6-7, has good size for a SF, and has a very solid all around game. He is a perfect sub to come in for Caron, can play uptempo, is an excellent defender, plays hard, good assists, steals and rebounds, can shoot, and is a smart and versatile player. He can also play some SG if needed. I'd really like to get this guy! I hope he is on Ernie's radar!

Posted by: Darnell | July 8, 2008 1:53 AM

If we wrap up our offseason by getting Matt Barnes, and picking up someone like Jonathan Wallace or Dee Brown as a 3rd pg, then I'm very satisfied with our offseason, along with the draft of McGee and re-signing of Arenas and Jamison.

Posted by: Darnell | July 8, 2008 1:56 AM

Thanks for the update Ivan,
Do you have any updates on Etan Thomas? I have not seen anything about him lately.

Posted by: Emmet | July 8, 2008 2:25 AM

As it stands, we have 13 players on the team and it appears that we are leaning towards a 14-man roster. Are we primarily looking at resigning Mason or pursuing another free agent as that 14th man? And how strongly are the Wiz leaning towards a 14 man roster? It would seem to me that with all the injury problems we have had over the past few years with Arenas, Butler, Jamison, Daniels, Thomas, and Songaila, that we could use all 15 men. While it is true that we can always just pick up a 10-day contract to fill in for an injured player, it seems to me that it would be better if we have that extra player on the team that is familiar with EJ's system.

Posted by: Emmet | July 8, 2008 2:27 AM

Oh, interesting bit of info.
Peter John Ramos, the uncoordinated 7'3" former Wizards center drafted 32nd in the 2004 draft, played last year in the premier Spanish league. He was selected to the All-star team and won MVP of the All-star game. On the season, he averaged 17.5 pts and 9.8 boards.
He starting playing basketball at age 13 and he is currently 23 years old.

Posted by: Emmet | July 8, 2008 2:35 AM

Before coming to the NBA, Pau Gasol played in that same premier Spanish league. He played his final season there in 2001, averaging 11.3 pts and 5.3 boards. He was 21 years old.

Is it possible that Ramos, whom we cut in 2006, is finally realizing his potential?

Posted by: Emmet | July 8, 2008 2:40 AM

I'm sure nobody cares, but for the sake of accuracy, those Ramos stats were for the BSN, Puerto Rico's premier basketball league's 2007/08 season. Ramos signed with a team in the premier Spanish basketball league for the 2007/08 season but was out for the season due to injury.

Posted by: Emmet | July 8, 2008 2:52 AM

I care. He sucked but should have been in the game instead of Ruffin against Cleveland a couple years ago. 7'3" is 7'3". I just can't let it go.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 7:04 AM

Is that the Gary Forbes who went to UVA and then transferred? He's a sort of local guy as well, fellas. Can we get an update on him?

Posted by: Rage | July 8, 2008 7:04 AM

We need a backup for Caron so he can stay healthy one of these high energy defensive WARRIORS can get the job done

CHECK THE VIDEOS OUT

Mickael Pietrus

or

Matt Barnes

Either one would be awsome but im hoping for Mickael Pietrus
pleazsee MR Abe Pollin get Mickael Pietrus great backup for caron, bench producer, good mentor for Young and Dmac and he can play sg too or even start sg if anything, he is a good character guy too

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 7:15 AM

yeah the warriors player always play good for us lol gilbert jamison hughes.
there player floorish with us like our players floorish for the pistons lol

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 7:23 AM

wow if can add Pietrus this team could really become dangerus

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 7:27 AM

The Wiz are the best .500 team ever. Typically, the summer league is for working on skills and displaying talent. However, given the skills of the five "obvious" Wiz participants, the team should be tasked to go undefeated (presuming EJ isn't coaching it).

Posted by: Izman | July 8, 2008 7:47 AM

"Don't look for him to be on the roster come October however because he has a pretty restrictive contract in Russia..."

Don't look for him to be here at all....ever. He has a JCN type of contract.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 8, 2008 8:10 AM

I think we should sign Vytas Danelius. That way we could make signs that say, Go V.D.!

Posted by: Skippy | July 8, 2008 8:33 AM

Don't sleep on Gary Forbes as a sleeper to get noticed in Vegas. Could be an inexpensive project at 3 if we do decide we need depth and do not sign a free agent SF.

Posted by: psdfx | July 8, 2008 8:33 AM

^^^^ Except that he does not have a $20M buyout.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 8:35 AM

Also, I'm pretty confused as to why people (alleged fans?) keep referring to this as a .500 team...

The ONLY reference point we have is the first half of two seasons ago, when the big three were healthy and they were far above a .500 team. The last year and a half has been so injury-plagued that it cannot be considered a good indicator of what this team can be. The last two one-and-done playoff appearances are irrelevant because of injuries.

And since when does drafting young guys and actually giving them time to develop equate to status quo?

And since when is continuity bad in the NBA?

Three years ago we had the original big three (with Hughes) and an AWFUL supporting cast. Two years ago was marginally better, but Ruffin still got a lot of PT. Last year we went younger and this year those younger guys started to get more playing time.

Enough playing time? Not for my liking, but more---for sure. Let NY mature another year and AB get in shape (PLEASE!) and we'll start to see some real progress. We will have added some real players to the big 3.

Gil matures, and suddenly this team is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Posted by: psdfx | July 8, 2008 8:38 AM

if we dont get a sf free agent, I hope we trade for timberwolfs Mike Miller mybe we can offer them

Etan-Petrov 09 1st & memphis 1st for Mike Miller

it works in trade checker

he is the sg/sf 6th man we need that would even our roster out and save money

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 8:46 AM

I see that the Sixers are poised to make a grab for either Brand or josh Smith. Adding them to a core of Thaddeus Young, Iguodala, Dalembert, and Andre Miller makes them formidable. That team is long armed and very good defensively with the talent to score, as well.
Our fans seem to be concentrating on the Cavs but this 76er team is one we really need to be careful about. Let's hope that we can get off to a good start.
Ivan, have you heard ANYTHING about Gil's rehab? Obviously the team is not concerned since they offered him a sh*tload of cash. I'd love to hear that he's close to 100% and could play today if there was a game. Considering that he was cleared to play 4 months ago by the team doctors, I'd think he'd be close.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 8:49 AM

"The player I actually most want as a FA is Matt Barnes"

Matt Barnes is the last thing this team needs. He's just another chucker who shoots everytime he touches it. Plays no Defense and has to be the most inconsistent player ever. Gil should have just taken the whole 127 if thats who we were saving money for.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 8:56 AM

I hope Gary Forbes makes the squad. He tore up the orlando pre-draft camp abd is very underrated. I think he will be ahead of D-mac in the rotation from day 1.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 8:57 AM

Anon, I think Gil should have taken the whole 127, anyway. Its MANAGEments responsibility to MANAGE the cap, not the highest paid player. I dont know what Gilbert was thinking. Who can we pick up that would actually get some playing time and improve this team? There are no starter spots available. There's a lot of undeveloped talent on the bench. I bet we wind up signing Roger Mason and no one else. That money is going to be saved by Abe. Roger might get the full midlevel even though he's not worth it. I bet Gilbert regrets that decision sooner rather than later.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 9:09 AM

I bet EG regrets signing Gilbert sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 9:17 AM

Forbes was A-10 player of the year...at Sf but can play sg as well...intresting

Posted by: jojo | July 8, 2008 9:24 AM

LOL. Probably right. EG probably had no choice. I think the Gil re-signing has Abe's fingerprints all over it.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 9:26 AM

"wow if can add Pietrus this team could really become dangerus"

Anon - Not according to the so called experts here who thinks that they already have too many players in the team.

Posted by: Dave | July 8, 2008 9:49 AM

I was thinking about this last night and trying to figure out what we need to do to improve on defense dramatically. I compared the Celtics stats with our stats.

This isn't going to reflect our current team because this is without Gil, but..

The standout stat is opponents 3 point fg%. We were dead last in the league (30) and the Celts were first.
My amateur analysis (MAA): We need to stop doubling down and trust the bigs to handle their man. This kills us every year.

Rebounds per game difference is negligible (.04).

MAA: They got more defensive rebounds but we countered with more offensive rebounds. We could get a little better on the defensive boards but this didn't kill us.

There is also a disparity in assists per game of almost 3.
MMA: This could be a result of them isolating with Garnett, who is a high percentage shooter. Caron is not really a catch and shoot guy as much as a catch, make a move (blowing the assist for the passer) and shoot guy. Maybe with another offensive threat on the court with Gil, this'll go up.?

In opponent 2 point fg%, we were 19th and the Celts were first.
MMA: Puzzled by this a little. Were we just not playing defense at all? Our defensive scheme needs major work. Rotations weak?

Surprisingly, we were 8th in the league in opponents free throws per game. We allowed the 8th least free throws. The Celts were 19th.
MAA: Perhaps there's a direct correlation between fouling and good defense. Maybe we should have been fouling guys instead of giving them a free pass down the lane. We have depth. Let's start hacking a little and use our depth. No one wants to get hurt and jeopardize their ability to earn money. Once you knock a guy down, maybe he stops coming down the lane.

Opponents assist per game was bad for us. We were 27th and the Celts were 2nd.

MAA: I guess swinging the ball around for a open shot would cause the opp. assist total to be high. We must not be rotating properly still. Either that or we aren't defending the pick and roll well...or both.

I don't remember what the Celts defense was like before Garnett but I DO know that Ray Allen is a matador. Pierce has always had the ability but I never saw him lock onto guys like he did to LeBron. I think it's obvious that Garnett has made all of the difference in the world defensively for that team.
OK. So what exactly did Garnett bring (and how do we get some of it) ? KG is not a leading shot blocker. He was out rebounded by Jamison. There must be something else he does that makes a big difference. It must be his quickness that allows him to collapse and help and rotate. Well, don't we have any tall, long armed quick guys? Paging AB !

The other obvious answer I see is Tom Thibodeau. This is an excerpt from Wikipedia...

One of the finest defensive coaches in the league, he helped the Houston Rockets rank among the Top 5 in the league in scoring defense and field goal percentage defense from 2004 to 2007,[1] and has helped his team finish in the league's Top 10 in team defense 15 times.[2] He coached in 87 playoff games and was part of the 1999 NBA Finals as an assistant coach with the New York Knicks prior to joining the Celtics.

My solution to the Wiz defensive problems is simple but complicated. Get the best defensive mind you can find out there and TEACH THEM HOW TO PLAY DEFENSE !!!!!

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 9:58 AM

If, as was reported, the reason we didn't get Thibodeau last year was because of the coaching staff contract uncertainty, Abe deserves the lions share of blame for the team's failures. Blame Gil because he is the highest paid but we were below average on defense last year without him. For the life of me, I could never understand why owners will pay millions for players but get cheap when its time to get a coach.
It's like buying a Maybach and putting regular unleaded gas in it. Makes no sense.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 10:03 AM

I neglected to credit Rajon Rondo for his hounding defense. Allowing a team less time to get into their offense could be a reason for a low fg%.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 10:05 AM

Thanks for the data, Mark. Rotating has been the big problem, with poor defensive philosophy and coaching mixed in.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 10:11 AM

Based on my somewhat shady memory, didnt we have an agreement from Thibodeau and then he backed out? Did he leave because he had an inkling about the Celts deal to get KG and Ray Allen? I dont remember the timeline.
If it really was about us, Abe needs to get a championship ring from the Celtics. Without Thibodeau, they probably don't finish first in the league in D. Without the D, they probably don't win the title.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 10:16 AM

Forbes started at UVa and transferred to UMass where he was A-10 player of the year. He's a bit undersized at SF but may be worth a longer look depending on his summer league play. Don't discount Wallace who played in the Princeton offense at G-Town, has a nice 3-pt. shot, and is quick.

EG is waiting for the luxury tax figures before he goes hard after Pietrus or Barnes. I think the Wiz know that San Antonio is going to make a significant offer for Mason as they are trying to get younger and we can't afford him. I don't see Mason getting the minutes here he deserves with NY. It's tough to see a local guy leave, but it's probably better for him.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2008 10:30 AM

My impression of Thidibeau (sp) was that it was more EG's mishandling than Abe's. EG made Ernie bring in a defensive guy, and EG gave him 3 year deal while all of EJ's assistants were on 1 year extensions. I believe he inferred there would be hostility towards him, because he wasn't EJ's guy, and EJ's guys were all getting short changed.

Didn't Thibideau work for EG somewhere before? Maybe assistant on the Knicks? For some reason I remember them having a previous relationship, could be wrong though.

Posted by: CRitch | July 8, 2008 10:33 AM

yeah, CRitch. Checkout the Thibodeau excerpt from Wikipedia posted above. everywhere he goes, the D is good. Could he have gotten us to the second round? Maybe.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 10:37 AM

Mark gives some good analysis which points out major flaws in the Wizards defensive strategy. Our perimeter defense allows easy penetration which results in kickouts to open 3-pt. shooters which has been a problem for years (set a league record for most allowed last year). GA never mans up on his guy and AD is too slow to play with the quicker PG's. BTH is forced to pick up the pentrator, but has to be careful about using his fouls since we had no true backup center last year. Having Etan back at least gives us another 6 fouls to give plus a defensive presence behind BTH.

Until our entire team including GA commit to playing high energy man-to-man defense like Boston, we'll continue to give up too many 3-pointers and easy shots. We don't commit fouls that often because we're out of position and constantly scrambing on rotations.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2008 10:40 AM

Ivan, to follow up on your column and some of the responses, would you post why you think there will only be 14 carried. I have my suspicions but I'd like to see it in print. Especially with Abe saying he is old and sick and would like to win a title

Posted by: beeb | July 8, 2008 10:47 AM

Thibodeau probably got the sense that EJ was a lame duck coach and being that there were plenty of EJ's guys around, Thibodeau felt awkward in that situation. I believe O'Koren's the Associate Head Coach (read: Head ASSISTANT Coach), which is the role that Thibodeau currently has with the Celts; that said, there probably would have been a lot of tension for Thibodeau.

It would've been interesting to see what Thibodeau could have done with the young athletic guys (Blatche, Young, Gil, CB).

Any word if the team's having any summer league practices before the games start next week? I'm curious to see if McGee can survive an elbow to the chest during his first practice...

Posted by: CN | July 8, 2008 10:55 AM

Posted by: beeb | July 8, 2008 10:47 AM
--------
Obviously the luxury tax is the key component, but having 1 open spot also provides roster flexibility.

Say the team signed PJ Ramos (after his breakout year in the Puerto Rico Penal League) with the 15th spot. However, an injury occurs to one of the guard spots (knock on wood), we would need to re-cut Ramos (unthinkable, I know), and sign a guard from the D-League. Under this scenario, the team may then need to pay two salaries (depending on when the transaction occured, as salaries become guaranteed after a certain date that escapes me) for one roster spot.

Last year was just a ridiculous situation where the team was short-handed and practicing 4 on 4 with the help of its assistant coaches...

Posted by: CN | July 8, 2008 11:02 AM

what garnett brings to defense, besides his obvious physical talents is an attitude and intensity to the team. he came in as the big name guy. and from day one he set the tone on defense. before they brought in brown and cassell, most of the players getting playing time other than the big 3 and posey were young guys or journeyman (you could almost argue that posey has been somewhat of a journeyman).

everyone followed the example set by the big three, and by garnett mostly, on defense. i mean, it's looks a little goofy, but garnett does out of his way to block the casual chucks at the basket by an opposing player well after the whistle is blown. he's establishing a mindset.

some players are capable of doing this and others aren't. it's hard to say if any of our big three are the types. jamison is more of an understated leader with an amazing work ethic. arenas, also a notorious gym rat, is not really a motivator at this point in his career. he may never be. butler might have the best personality to lead, but he is the less heralded of the three, the other two certainly do not follow his lead, and he's often injured.

no one on our team is a great, top tier defensive talent. so to improve defensively, it's going to have to be a team effort. that includes coaches, but not just their defensive schemes. they need to buy into the concept, too. they need to sell it to the players. convince arenas that maybe he takes 5 or 6 less shots a game and saves his energy to get up in the face of guys trying to make an entry pass. or get butler to focus on never ever losing his man on a screen. get the team to understand that jamison is physically outmatched at the 4 spot a lot of times, and the ways in which they can help him out besides just filling the lane which is then too little too late.

Posted by: JC | July 8, 2008 11:04 AM

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2008 10:40 AM

More intensive defense will come if the top three guys minutes are cut down to give them some rest. I hope everyone was watching the teams in the playoffs. They all got their rest, particularly KG, Pierce, Ray Allen. Kobe got his minutes of rest, so did Lebron. If Eddie Jordan keeps playing the three guys 40 minutes each they won't be able to run, won't be able to guard and in the 4th quarter won't be able to do anything but jack up shots.

By the way this is going to piss off the Arenas haters, but here are some photos from the Philippines of Gil and his group going through some goodbye presents, fan letters etc. What's going to piss them off is that Laura Govan is with him. The link was posted by Reuben on the Wizardsblog.

Posted by: rgz | July 8, 2008 11:11 AM

Defense is, as the old saying goes, 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration... It is no accident that some of the best defensive players in the league are either simply the most intense gifted players (KG, Artest) or less gifted players who must defend well to justify their continued place as key players on the roster. This is true from back in the day (think KC Jones and Satch Sanders from the 50s - 60s Celtics), to the 70s - 80s (Bobby Jones on the Sixers) to the 90s (Rodman was the classic case) to Bruce Bowen today.

It is a matter of commitment, yes?

Posted by: khrabb | July 8, 2008 11:19 AM

What are the requirements for playing in the summer league?

If Gilby qualifies, he should be playing also, instead of vacationing in the far east/south east asia.

BTW, Laura Govan can't rest easy until she's got a ring on her finger. Even with that, she still can't rest easy because most ballers are cheaters. Go look at ARod and Pat Ewing and Shaq, etc.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 8, 2008 11:21 AM

"More intensive defense will come if the top three guys minutes are cut down to give them some rest. If Eddie Jordan keeps playing the three guys 40 minutes each they won't be able to run, won't be able to guard, and in the 4th quarter won't be able to do anything but jack up shots."

Posted by: rgz | July 8, 2008 11:11 AM

You have described my system perfectly.

Posted by: E. Jordan | July 8, 2008 11:40 AM

*******************************************

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 9:58 AM

No question about Thibodeau's qualifications, but let's not downplay Randy Ayers' contribution to the Wizards last year. I've read that he is also well-thought of in league circles, and with him on board, the team improved from 28th in the league (104.9 ppg) in 2006-2007 to 12th (99.2 ppg) in 2007-2008 in points allowed, and from 27th in opponent's field goal percentage in 2006-2007 to tied for 17th in 2007-2008. They didn't improve in 3-point FG defense (29th both this year and last). Granted, this just means that they went from gawd-awful to mediocre, but with the way that this team can score points, they don't have to shut teams totally down to win a lot of games. With another year in Ayers' system, a continued committment to defense by some, and a new committment to defense by others (i.e., Arenas), there's no reason that the improvement can't continue.

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 8, 2008 11:49 AM

wiz defense isn't sufficient yet, but has no one observed the remarkable improvement since randy ayers came to the team last season? we had the second biggest improvement in defensive ranking in the league, second to guess who...

gilbert NEEDS to learn to play defense, but really, it's mostly an issue with schemes, and now that the players are familiar with randy ayers' schemes, i think if they commit to it, the wiz can improve on D again

Posted by: wiz for life | July 8, 2008 11:53 AM

Posted by: wiz for life | July 8, 2008 11:54 AM

The Wizards defense did not improve much at all last season. (Someone did a really good analysis of this either on realgm or bulletsforever)
The lower points per game allowed mostly reflects the slower pace with Daniels at the helm. The lower FG% is a good mark, though you would need to look at the effective FG% to incorporate the increase in 3 point shots.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 12:11 PM

Looks like we're done with the offseason signings. So look for another .500 season and 1-and-done in the playoffs. Apparently, that's our top goal.

Posted by: TK | July 8, 2008 12:36 PM

there was an analytical article a little while back talking about the wizards supposed defensive improvement this past season. i think it came down to yes, are defensive stats ooked better, but part of that was a result of less shots taken and a slower pace because of our lack of quick pace, high scoring offense with arenas. i think our overall point differential was not that much better.

sorry, i don't like referencing an article without a link to the source, but i can't find it at the moment. as soon as i do, i'll post it.

Posted by: JC | July 8, 2008 12:51 PM

and what do you know, here is the link to the article on realgm:

Posted by: JC | July 8, 2008 12:53 PM

Thats a good article on realgm...thanks JC.
But honestly, I think stats are given a little too much weight when analyzing defense.

The real key is being able to get stops on an opponent in the last 2 minutes of game, which we can't do. Obviously, teams with better stats are more likely to get stops down the stretch, so I get it, but I could care less if the Wiz game up 106 or 94 a game.

If you look at a team like Utah, they have basically the same opposition FG% and points allowed per game. However, you don't think of Utah as a crappy defensive team. I think its mainly because they get key defensive stops, in big moments. The Wiz don't ever get big stops down the stretch (this could be b/c they are bad individually or team defensively, possibly the less than enthusiastic crowd at home).

Even in games we get the stops down the stretch and win, seems like the opponent often times gets the shot they want (I'm thinking Lebron missing the 3 over D-Shawn). This is why I think 1 good perimeter defender will make a huge difference, even if they only play 10-15 minutes a game.

I have no real point to this, except that its an observation.

Posted by: CRitch | July 8, 2008 1:31 PM

One thing that that realgm article gets wrong is it says that the Wizards sent their opponents to the line more this past season than the previous, when the opposite seems to be true. According to ESPN's stats Wizards opponents averaged 3 fewer free throws made per game (from 20.3 to 17.3).

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | July 8, 2008 2:07 PM

rbpalmer,
I would have attributed the point differential allowed this year to the slower paced game because AD was in there instead of Gil. We know Gil pushes the ball a lot and there are subsequently more scoring opportunities for both teams. As far as 3 point fg% allowed is concerned, we were dead last. In other words, Jimmy Hoffa's corpse could have coached that aspect of defense and it wouldn't have been any worse. I'd give Ayers a "F' based on that alone. I hope you're right about him, though.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 2:23 PM

How difficult can it be to look at what Thibodeau is doing and copy it? It's not like he has a 700 page playbook and it takes years to master it. I still don't understand why defense and rotations and help are so difficult to figure out. Everyone knows everyone else's offense after playing in the league for a while. Can't we look at game tapes of the Celtics, learn their D and implement it within a matter of a few weeks during training camp? Offense might take a while to learn but defense?

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 2:30 PM

On espn.com, David Thorpe rates the incoming rookies. Andray 2.0 (JaVale McGee) is ranked 30th, and Thorpe has this to say:

"The D-League was made for players like McGee."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 2:34 PM

Thanks for the link, JC. This is from the article and is enough to consider replacing Ayers, in my opinion...

This season, the Wizards allowed 683 three point field goals -- the most allowed by a team in league history.

I can understand our struggles on offense with injuries to CB and Gil. Their replacements are supposedly better on defense. We should have seen a resultant improvement. I used to always blame the players but those guys aren't stupid. A big part of it has to be the scheme. I'll give a huge nod to our lineups, too because of the poor defensive players in the starting lineup. (And yes, CB is average or below on defense despite his efforts).

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 2:44 PM

David Thorpe is the same guy who said that Jared Jeffries had been training with him and his offense/jumper was much improved. He said to look out for JJ to have a breakout year....last year.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 2:45 PM

This has been a great discussion. My take on defense is that we made great progress, but the injuries really took their toll by season's end. I'm thinking about that run in January where we beat Atlanta, then Boston twice. There were some tremendous defensive stops in those games. Then Butler, Jamison and Daniels started getting banged up and I felt we never really regained our form. I agree with those who say another year in Ayers' system, and reduced minutes for the big three, should add up to more improvement next year.

Posted by: walter | July 8, 2008 2:54 PM

Walter, Increasing AB's minutes (at PF only) and McGuire's minutes to 10 per game and BTH's time to at least 35 minutes a game are a good start IMO. We can't have 3 subpar defensive guys all going 40 per night. I'm referring to our big 3.

Posted by: mark | July 8, 2008 3:01 PM

Mark, I couldn't agree more, especially on BTH. Now that he's got his money, would love to see Arenas put better defense on his agenda. He's got all the tools, IMHO, to be lockdown.

Posted by: walter | July 8, 2008 3:07 PM

Posted by: rgz | July 8, 2008 11:11 AM

Exactly, our defense will never improve as long as Eddie Jordan is the coach - Same lineups, same rotations, zero adjustments. Play the trio 40 minutes a night and hope to score more than your opponent, that's Eddie Jordan basketball.

Posted by: Wizzy | July 8, 2008 3:18 PM

I think that Walter has it right regarding our defense up through the end of January when CB3 got hurt. We beat Boston twice in 3 days including coming back from 13 down in the 4th quarter in the 2nd game when they were taking us seriously. Caron essentially locked down Pierce in the 4th quarter of both games when he was HEALTHY.

He played the rest of the season with a torn labrum in his hip, chipped bone in his wrist, and later a banged up knee. Caron's a good defensive player who was reduced to a mediocre one by playoff time due to lack of explosiveness and mobility. Grouping him with GA and Jamison is unfair all things considered.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 8, 2008 3:59 PM

Every team is banged up come playoff time. And given EJ's propensity to grind his stars out with big minutes, what makes you think Caron and the others won't be nicked up during next year's playoffs?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 4:22 PM

i think the best way to better the d is to focus on getting 4th quarter stops. that would mean that the big 3's would all need to be rested and substituted in and out more effectively. problem is, EJ has a quick trigger to pull a bench player if a lead is dwindling or the team is falling too far behind....that and the fact that the big 3 (when healthy) all demand to stay in the game. more healthy bodies should help too. i agree with the pace issue with arenas at the helm vs when daniels had to start attributing to more/less offense and higher/lower scores and shooting percentages. we also need to play better help d and communicate better. and we are terrible at playing the pick and roll.

Posted by: G$ | July 8, 2008 4:32 PM

Reprise:

All the Wiz Summer League players are scrubs.

Posted by: Baller4Life | July 8, 2008 5:34 PM

I would have to agree with Walter's point about the Wizard's defense prior to Butler's injury. The points made about Garnett are spot on, defense is to a large extent about having a warrior mentality out there.

Guys like Wes Unseld were just going to make you work your tail off to score. Playing NBA defense at a high level is a learning process. I thought that the first unit made great strides last year, the youngsters still have a ways to go.

Schemewise they need to show a little more faith in Haywood, the team doubles down more then they should and the recovery is often a step slow.

I find it interesting that the period when contracts can be signed hasn't even started yet and some have declared the Wiz done for the summer. Grunfeld used the MLE last summer to sign Blatche and Stevenson, I see no reason to think he won't use it to bring in another pc after Gil and Jamison left him the room to work with under the Luxury Tax.

Remember the MLE can be packaged in a trade as well, so that's another course Grunfeld could be looking at to bring in a Vet.

Grunfeld got the job done with Gil and Jamison and allowed the Wiz enough room to use the MLE and possibly the 1.9m exception that he has available this summer as well.

I also would like to know Ivan's reasoning behind the 14 man roster. My take is that Grunfeld sold the second rounder to make room for another vet. With Blatche, Young, Pecherov, McGuire, and McGee I really don't see room for another youngster on a team that wants to move deeper into the playoffs.

Since the Luxury tax level isn't set yet, it still remains to be determined if Grunfeld can sqeeze another vet in under it. Even if he can't he's said over and over he has no hard orders to stay under it.

Last year his hands were tied after signing Blatche and Stevenson because he had no salary cap exceptions. This year he's sitting with two and some room to manuver under the Luxury Tax as well thanks to Jamison and Gil.

Posted by: GM | July 8, 2008 5:35 PM

Posted by: GM | July 8, 2008 5:35 PM

The MLE can be packaged in a trade?

Do you mean a player the Wizards sign with the MLE can be packaged? If that is what you meant to say, then yes, that player can be traded, but not until December 15th.

Posted by: Rook | July 8, 2008 5:55 PM

"Granted, KG was a great defensive player before coming to Boston but it's more than KG in Boston. It's a team effort."

Yes, but it's a team effort by a team with several guys in key roles who didn't just start playing defense this season. KG, Rondo, Brown, Posey, even Pierce were all good or better defenders before this season. Thibodeau's job was made easier by the fact that they guys at the top of the Celtics food chain were willing to buy in. Given their recent history, there's reason to wonder whether the Wiz mainstays would do the same.

Posted by: kalorama | July 8, 2008 6:27 PM

Posted by: kalorama | July 8, 2008 7:51 PM

Not only did Orlando sign Pietrus, they gave him 4yrs/$30m. Not sure I would give him $7.5m/yr. Seems kinda pricey for a guy who has only played in a Warriors-type run-and-gun offense in the NBA. Oh well, not my money.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 8:14 PM

Brand leaves Clippers for Sixers: 5 years, $80 million;
Maggette leaves Clippers for Warriors: 5 years, $50 million:

Here we go...

Posted by: Wow... | July 8, 2008 9:19 PM

Damn, I bet Baron Davis is pissed.

Posted by: kalorama | July 8, 2008 9:38 PM

"Or do you mean the actual MLE itself - because I'm pretty sure you CAN'T trade just the Exception to another team!"

Nope.

Posted by: kalorama | July 8, 2008 9:40 PM

man how did free agency get so wild? i was hoping the zards could be in the running for pietrus but i guess i was just hoping.

i don't know what kind of piece we can add. there aren't any low post guys to put on the bench. i'm not really sure what kind of swing player they can go after. maybe posey? would he leave to come here? mason doesn't really fit with ny...any ideas?

Posted by: hibachi | July 8, 2008 10:24 PM

I think EG is going to be content to not sign anyone for the MLE. Just keep that money and be well below the cap.

Reason? Nobody that can make a big impact is going to sign for the MLE, and EG isn't going over the cap to sign anyone who's starter material.

He'll just keep that in his backpocket in case someone gets injured or see how the summer league plays out.

Ho hummm....

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 8, 2008 10:35 PM

Damn, Philly is looking pretty scary. Hopefully Josh Smith now bolts ATL for the Clips and all their newfound cash.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 10:44 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:07 PM

Da "Roach Clips" decided not to risk it.It being the injury to Brand,let Philly role the dice and see what happens if he's healthy LOOK OUT it will definitely revitalize Celts-76ers rivalry in the atlantic division. I was shocked at what the magic gave Pietrus. Nba season already has the makings of a banner year. Summer league should be intersting, got a chance to peak at Rose and Beasley, both very very nice especially Beasley.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | July 8, 2008 11:10 PM

"Thought Brand PROMISED Baron he would re-sign with the Clippers. And people here thought Gil was a bad guy?

Posted by: | July 8, 2008 11:07 PM "

Huh?

Does Baron pay Brand's bills? I think not.

Brand signing with the Sixers has absolutely no parallel with anything Gilby has or has not done.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 8, 2008 11:11 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:24 PM

"There is no player named Gilby in the NBA. Oh but I forgot....you live in your own secluded, lonely, delusional planet and would not know that.

Posted by: | July 8, 2008 11:24 PM "

Gilby = Gilbert Arenas

If you don't like me calling him "Gilby," that's your problem.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 8, 2008 11:37 PM

Posted by: | July 8, 2008 11:07 PM "

Talk to me when Baron gets his lawyer to issue a subpoena to Brand after Baron decides to sue Brand for his "PROMISE." We'll see if the Sixers will help Brand avoid being served.

LMFAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 8, 2008 11:39 PM

(chanting loudly)....POSEY! POSEY! POSEY!

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 8, 2008 11:52 PM

As others have mentioned before you must have one FAT ass! And you are an ASS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2008 11:56 PM

88 should get his ass to the dentist, 'cause those fillings apparently are picking up the alien radio broadcasts again.

Posted by: Gilby | July 8, 2008 11:58 PM

dcwomans00 pines for Gilbert. Would you fools stop responding to his lustful rants? And someone needs to call the cops--his obsession is now bordering on criminal.

Posted by: Skeefo | July 8, 2008 11:58 PM

DRAPER! He would make a great pure point guard for this team.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 12:05 AM

I really don't get the jones for Posey. He's a decent utility guy on a stacked team (as he was in the title years for Miami and Boston). But the idea of a 30+ role player leaving a title-caliber team to play out the string for money on a middling level playoff team should be a cause for concern. At 31, his career is winding down and he's looking to get paid. If he did join the Wiz it would only be because they overpaid him by throwing the full MLE at him. The James Posey we got wouldn't be the same one we saw in Boston.

Posted by: kalorama | July 9, 2008 12:07 AM

I bet that MJ is still kicking himself for not trading the #1 pick to Chicago for me when he had the chance back in 2001. Greatest player of all time, but as a basketball exec, a total dope.

Posted by: Elton Brand | July 9, 2008 12:07 AM

Posted by: kalorama | July 9, 2008 12:10 AM

Posted by: | July 8, 2008 11:07 PM "

LMAO!

The stupidity of Gilby lovers never ceases to amaze me.

Next thing we'll hear from Gilby lovers is a claim that Gilby's biking around town to strengthen his knee wasn't such a bad idea after all, because at least he didn't get run over by a garbage truck and reinjure it that way.

Stupid Gilby lovers.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 9, 2008 12:14 AM

With the luxury tax being announced at $71.15 million, anyone capologist out there now how much space we'll have to sign a free agent?

Posted by: Oz | July 9, 2008 12:18 AM

Well Pietrus is going to Orlando.

Posted by: Darnell | July 9, 2008 1:22 AM

Sorry Kalorama already had it, with a link even!

Posted by: Darnell | July 9, 2008 1:24 AM

Posey has been the same player for years. Defense, and knock down 3 point shooter. The reason he may very well leave Boston is because they have no money. We dont have to offer him much, just more than they do. And he's got 2 rings so he's not too pressed to stay with the Celtics (who may be back to the basement in 2 years when the big guns start to wear down). and who cares if he's 31? we got basically a 26 and under team right now. We dont have time for more youngsters

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 1:26 AM

And who cares about Pietrus? Isnt that why we drafted Nick Young?

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 9, 2008 1:30 AM

"We dont have to offer him much, just more than they do."

No. we have to offer him more than anyone else does, because if a better team (like Detroit or San Antonio) offers him the same as the Wiz, guess where he's not going. Contending teams will be interested in him. The only way he comes to a middling playoff squad like the Wizards is money. Case in point: Cory Maggette. Do you think he signed with the Warriors because it was his best chance to win? Of course not.

"And he's got 2 rings so he's not too pressed to stay with the Celtics (who may be back to the basement in 2 years when the big guns start to wear down)."

Or not. Pure speculation.

"and who cares if he's 31? we got basically a 26 and under team right now. We dont have time for more youngsters"

Not really the point. He's a 31 year old role player coming up on the end of his peak earning years (if not his career). And, as you point out, he's got two rings. So, what's he playing for? Money. But the risk you take when signing a guy who's motivated solely by money is that once he gets it, he may lose his motivation. And a guy playing for a new contract and a title (as he was in Boston and Miami when he won titles there) is going to have more motivation than a guy who's already been paid and is playing for a chance to get a top 4 seed and maybe make it out of the first round.

If he were a real difference maker individually, the risk might be more worth it. But he's not. He;'s a role player. He's a good defender, but not a game changing one on his own. He's a spot up shooter who's dependent on defenses collapsing on players inside to get open shots. Too bad the Wizards don't have any interior offense. His value rises and falls based on the team around him. And the team around him in D.C. would not be built to maximize what he does well.

Posted by: kalorama | July 9, 2008 1:57 AM

"Huh?

Does Baron pay Brand's bills? I think not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 8, 2008 11:11 PM "

Means Brand is dishonest.

Posted by: babbtong | July 9, 2008 2:04 AM

the reason i talk about gilbert is because he gives me a boner

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 9, 2008 3:08 AM

the reason i hate gilby so much is that he is so dam bad he gets me so hot can wait to see him play and get all sweaty i already got me wet wips so all you gilby lovers lay off he is all mine

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 9, 2008 3:12 AM

Somebody at Washington Post loves the Gilbert stalker. Allows all his rants to be posted.

The Gilbert stalker keeps posting about his sweet Gilby. Nobody uses a pet name like that for a grown man unless he's smitten bad.

Posted by: Mighty Mouse | July 9, 2008 3:24 AM

I think Minn would be open in trading Al Jefferson. I can see him having a problem being a full time center in the west.The additions of Love/Miller starting and Brewer/Madsen backing up at the forwards spots. Jason Collins is the back-up center so that leaves Jefferson at the starting 5 spot. Know Carney and McCants will fight for the 2 spot playing time .That leaves Foye as the only point guard, and he really is not experience.
Maybe Ernie should offer B. Haywood, A.Daniels, our Memphis #1 and next years #1 pick for Al Jefferson. I think Minn Brass believes stock piling picks with Miller and Love as the team leaders will be the way to go. Also having Carney,Brewer,McCants,Foye and Madsen the city loving blue collar work horse, dont hurt either. Mchale just might bite, while still keeping ticket prices low.

Posted by: d square | July 9, 2008 3:52 AM

EG is biding his time a bit. I believe we won't see a signing until after the Las Vegas summer league show folds its tent and he has had a chance to see what the younger guys can (and cannot) do at this point.

Orlando is certainly establishing a track record for overpaying mightily but they desperately needed a reasonable quality 2-guard and I believe Pietrus will be the starter there. They are still a bit shaky at the point but Jameer Nelson is a driven guy, so their roster may be pretty much set.

Philly could be wicked if Brand stays healthy, but that could be tougher for him than it will be for Gilbert Arenas, as he is older and his bulk puts a lot more physical strain on his legs. I would still take GA, AJ, and CB over Miller, Brand and Iggy... ANY DAY.

Our primary aim at the end of the day will surely be signing a good back-up for Caron, which makes the likely targets players like Barnes (a pure 3 and a gunner), Posey (a 3 whose two-way skills and playoff-readiness are both known and unquestioned), Gomes, Ariza, or maybe Joey Graham (a serious body but iffy talent who is redundant in Toronto)... It is easy to see why EG wanted to trade up for a shot a drafting Brandon Rush in this context, isn't it?

Of course, if the luxury tax were not an issue and the Wolves would part with Mike Miller for a package of our younger reserves and a first-rounder, that would be a huge move for us.

Posted by: khrabb | July 9, 2008 6:13 AM

"The team has expressed interest in re-signing unrestricted free agent Roger Mason Jr., but the shooting guard has received interest from several other teams and could be looking for more money and a larger role than the Wizards are willing to offer."

Thanks Gilbert, you're such a great guy for taking "significantly" less money to help the team out. You are just so giving to the team, as well as the fans. I can hardly control myself.

I also think it's funny that Brand came back East and is going to sign with the Sixers. I'm willing to bet now that the Sixers finish with a better record then the Wiz at the end of the year.

I like what Philly is doing, EG should take note.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 9, 2008 8:10 AM

I wonder if Atlanta would match an offer of the full mid-level for Josh Childress?
I wonder if Childress is worth the full-mid-level...

Posted by: oddjob | July 9, 2008 8:11 AM

maybe Etan or songalia with Young-Pech 09 1st & memphis 1st for mike miller
Then we sign matt barns or Posey

gil / danials
miller / deshawn
caron / posey or barns
jamison / blatch
heywood / Etan or mcgee

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 8:19 AM

or maybe Etan-Pech 2009 1st, 2010 1st, memphis 1st for Mike Miller

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 8:24 AM

Deshawn-Songalia-Pech 2009 1st, 2010 1st memphis 1st
then sign posey or barns
we are set lol

Gil / Danials
Miller / Young
Caron / Posey or Parns
Jamison / Blatch / Dmac
Heywood / Etan / Mcgee

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 8:33 AM

We need to pick up a player like Gary Forbes. He'll be inexpensive and he can play right away. He's no project.

Posted by: Kyle Stokes | July 9, 2008 8:38 AM

i hope we do somthing Gil is holding out he is not signing yet maybe we wants to make sure that EG makes some moves first
hope we sign posey or barns

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 8:39 AM

Minn just got Miller, people should stop posting about trading for him, they are going to sign to a long term deal. Miller is from somewere close to Minn, thats his hometown team and he will be the new face of the franchise and not Jefferson. So let go of the trade crap.OK

Posted by: d square | July 9, 2008 8:51 AM

Feh. While our roster is far from perfect, signing Matt Barnes or some knee-jerk band-aid FA won't solve much.

Bottom line is that Wiz won't win squat if their best players get hurt again. It's anyone's guess as to who will play how many games, but the fact is that if Gil, Jamison, BUtler, or Hawyood miss big time -- especially in the playoffs, the Wiz will suffer.

We've invested in youth with Blatche, Young, McGuire, Pecherov and McGee. We need to see this year what we really have in those guys -- especially the first three. McGuire could prove every bit the defensive backup for Caron that we need. Blatche could give us the length and athleticism we need inside. The same for young on the wing.

Ernie's best shot at a big acquisition will be next summer. The Wiz aren't winning a ring next year. So why bring someone in who is only going to take minutes away from the kids and make it that much harder to evaluate them?

The one guy I'd like to see moved is Songaila. With Etan back and Blatche sliding to PF, we really have no place for his lack of athleticism. If he and Etan spend serious minutes on the floor together, it's a recipe for trouble.

I say roll with what we've got for next year so we can best develop a target list for when we're in a position to be buyers.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 8:53 AM

I wonder if Childress is worth the full-mid-level...

Posted by: oddjob | July 9, 2008 8:11 AM

Childress' qualifying offer was over $4.8 Million... He will command more than the MLE.

Posted by: Rook | July 9, 2008 9:28 AM

I wonder if Childress is worth the full-mid-level...

Posted by: oddjob | July 9, 2008 8:11 AM

Posted by: Rook | July 9, 2008 9:28 AM

I wonder if Childress is worth the full-mid-level...

Posted by: oddjob | July 9, 2008 8:11 AM

Posted by: Rook | July 9, 2008 9:28 AM

Gary Forbes or Will Thomas could definitely make this team if we decide to carry 15. Also we should just cut Pecherov and let Veremeenko join the team. veremeenko 10 times better than Pecherov.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 9:46 AM

Well I know its only summer league but Mario Chalmers is looking pretty damn good. Good call passing on a player that can help us now(what we need) for a player that can help us in 3-5 years when jamison will be done and CB3 will be getting old. Also by then gilly's knees will probably be done.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 9:48 AM

The deal for Jamison doesn't look as bad after the huge deal Brand received in Philly after missing nearly all of last year. He's every bit the injury risk that Gilbert is coming off two knee injuries. I give Philly kudos for making aggressive moves to get Brand....although I question his loyalty after misleading his team and close friend Baron Davis.

EG must have known Orlando was going to give a big contract to sign Pietrus who's never been a starter...I still think Matt Barnes could fit the bill as a lower-priced option at the 3 to back up Caron and give us another 3-pt. shooter. Nellie doesn't want him back and it doesn't sound like there's huge market for him. People need to backoff of Gil's contract - teams are paying huge $'s for guys who are coming off injuries, unproven, or have put up numbers on losing teams. i.e. Maggette.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 9, 2008 9:57 AM

Yeah, I was surprised by the Brand news as well.

He opted out on the premise that he was trying to give the Clippers some room under the Cap to sign a Free Agent point guard. The Clippers did exactly that, in signing Baron Davis... then Brand signs with Philly.

Talk about being stabbed in the back!

Posted by: Rook | July 9, 2008 10:00 AM

Here are some quotes from gilbert while in the philippines:

Arenas on his contract: "It was not a tough decision. To be honest, it's a good program. They trusted me when I was 20 years old to lead them to the playoffs. I did. When it was time for me to come back. I did. It wasn't that difficult."

Arenas on Javale McGee: "I heard he's nice and he's a shot blocker. He reminds me of the young Marcus Camby." Apparently, Arenas also said McGee can help the Wizards become strong contenders.

So there you go.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | July 9, 2008 10:03 AM

Gilbert is all talk. This is just like when he said he would put up 50 and put up 9.

"Arenas on his past and future: "Now it's time for the [championship] ring. I have scored a whole lot of baskets in my career so far. And, now I'm going to lead the team to the championship."

translation from Gilbertology to real logic....the wizards will be lucky to make it to the 2nd round. I'm just happy I got PAID...It's all about me AGENT 0

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 10:12 AM

Posted by: | July 9, 2008 9:46 AM

When folks say that the team needs to waive or cut a player, they need to remember this is the NBA not the NFL.
When a team cuts/waives a player that has a guaranteed contract, they release him but still have to pay him his salary and the salary still counts against the salary cap and luxury tax.

Posted by: rgz | July 9, 2008 10:15 AM

rgz-I know I was just saying he sucks. Im just saying we should get rid of him. You and kal need to quit taking everything so literally and quit trying to correct everyone and just take the comment for what it is.

The people who constantly want to correct everyone on here are beyond annoying.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 9, 2008 10:19 AM

This is a good change of pace from all the talk about "I'm going to drop 100 points on the coaches who didn't give me a fair shot at the Olympics." Again, he'll need to back it up on the court, and I think we should grant him more than a few games to do that...

Posted by: CN | July 9, 2008 10:22 AM

The people who constantly want to correct everyone on here are beyond annoying.

Posted by: | July 9, 2008 10:19 AM

Yeah, everybody posts opinions, no problem.
But since this is a public forum, expect a reply too even if it annoys you.

Posted by: rgz | July 9, 2008 11:35 AM

Posted by: kalorama | July 9, 2008 1:57 AM

News to Kalorama...this is the NBA, everyone plays in part for money. And in order to get that money, you have to play well. We're not looking for an individual "difference maker." We got 3 all stars. We need a defensive minded player and a backup for Caron. Thats what Posey is. The whole reason Gil left 16 million on the table was so we could get a player like that.

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 9, 2008 12:26 PM

At the same time, I could understand them going for Barnes. I think he fits the bill also. Or just leaving it alone if they really have faith in Mcguire.

But to me Posey is the automatic. You know what hes gonna do every night. And he's never hurt a team. Maybe there's a reason Miami and Boston grabbed him and won titles ASAP.

You can't win in this league without very good role players who know their role. Look at the recent champs(Spurs, Pistons, Celtics, Heat)they all had solid role players (and 2 of them had Posey)

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 9, 2008 12:41 PM

Looking at our needs I like the idea of Wallace (PG, 3 pt shooter) and Forbes (Caron backup), and/or possible veterans Posey or Barnes (Caron backups).

If we've only got 3mil to spend it's unlikely we'll get the vets as Posey is looking at twice that to work for better teams.

We should dominate summer league if everyone plays to their potential. The question is can Wallace hit the 3 at 40%+ as Roger Mason proved he could do. I wish we had a bit more room to sign Roger and would still take him over the others mentioned (except Posey).

Posted by: Derek | July 9, 2008 12:56 PM

"So Gil's saying all the right things while he's in SE Asia, that's the first steps of getting out of "Gilbertology" and becoming a team player. Don't get me wrong, I think he definitely needs to back that up on the court & locker room, especially the talk about taking the team to the championship level.

Posted by: CN | July 9, 2008 10:22 AM "

Is this news?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 9, 2008 1:41 PM

"What else do you expect from a guy who will be signing a 127 mil contract (minus 16 mil)? Throw another hissy fit because Abe's not going to throw him a parade after his signing?

Time will tell when things don't go as well as Gilby hopes. Might be when Ayers gets on his case about playing D."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 9, 2008 1:41 PM

Are you praying on the downfall of Gil? LOL

I had my doubts about him to but dont forget he was only 20 when he got here. I think he watched the playoffs and realized we gotta step it up on defense. Jamison even said that in his press conference and we all know AJ is the man in that locker room.

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 9, 2008 2:15 PM

"Are you praying on the downfall of Gil? LOL

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 9, 2008 2:15 PM "

Nope.

Gilby is a predictable self destructive guy. He'll say anything to get a rise out of reporters/fans/media.

Any PR is good PR for a media hog/diva.

Hopefully Gilby has matured since then, but it's another case of "I'll have to see it to believe it."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 9, 2008 4:25 PM

Posted by: Gtown87 | July 9, 2008 10:55 PM

"News to Kalorama...this is the NBA, everyone plays in part for money. And in order to get that money, you have to play well. "

"We're not looking for an individual "difference maker." We got 3 all stars. We need a defensive minded player and a backup for Caron. Thats what Posey is. The whole reason Gil left 16 million on the table was so we could get a player like that."

Posted by: kalorama | July 9, 2008 11:04 PM

"I got some news for you ... just because everybody's getting paid doesn't mean everybody's in it fo the money. A guy who leaves a team that just won a title and will be in contention to win another next season to come to a team that's gotten the boot from the first round 3 years in a row has a pretty clear agenda.

"A player like that" doesn't necessarily mean Posey. I happen to think he won't be the asset on the Wizards that others do. Sorry if that somehow bothers you or hurts your feelings. Oh wait ... no I'm not."

Posted by: kalorama | July 9, 2008 11:04 PM

HAHAHA. If I just helped 2 teams win titles and I knew people were willing to pay good money for me, I think I'd take it also. The Wizards are a team on the cusp. Maybe Posey likes the challenge of helping teams get over the hump. Ever think about that?

Also, the wizards are a younger team, as are the other teams he's talking to (Hornets, Heat etc.) Perhaps he's looking to join a young team on the cusp, get a 4 year deal and finish his career helping yet ANOTHER team win a title or 2. The Celtics are not going to be at the top too much longer, we all know that, as does Posey, and Im sure he wants to play more than 2 more years on a good team.

If he returned to Boston, not only would he get less money but he would probably be shipped out when they clean house in a couple years to get younger.

And I hate to burst your bubble (not really) but you're incapable of hurting my feelings little guy...LMAO!!

AND I'M OUT!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:45 AM

As a George Mason alum, I'm pulling hard for Will Thomas. He could be a great role player in the NBA and could be seen as a younger version of Antawn Jamison--willing to do whatever it takes to be effective inside the paint. He's more than willing to rebound, something that can't be said of all the Wizards. If Will doesn't make it with the Wizards, I hope he catches on with another team.
WHAT SAY YOU, DOC NIX? Long live Gunston.

Posted by: Mason Pattrick | July 10, 2008 1:16 PM

I'm a hot black single girl, I feel lonely... What I really need is love, Feel free to chat with me on "MIXEDMINGLE.COM" where i upload my photos and many black or white singles seeking love online.

Posted by: carrie | July 15, 2008 5:36 AM