Wiz and Cavs, Game 3 of SL

Oleksiy Pecherov just told me that he will not play tonight against the Cavaliers or for the final two summer league games as he works to get back on that sprained left ankle. Pecherov has been shooting but hasn't practiced and said the ankle still needs more time.

I chatted with Wes Unseld Jr. a little bit ago and he broke down what he would like to see tonight as the Wiz try to get to a win.

"One of the main things is we've struggled turning the ball over and that's just a product of guys not having played together enough," Unseld said. "And then it's about energy level, better execution at the offensive end and better execution at the defensive end. We need to see growth in every aspect. Some of it is the little things like boxing out, getting loose balls and long rebounds...those are the areas of growth we have to see."

Keep an eye on Cavs rookie F J.J. Hickson, who went one pick after the Wizards took JaVale McGee. Hickson has been very solid through two games and I just spoke with a Cavs scout who said the team is very pleased with what they're seeing so far. The scout also said that he's a fan of McGee and added the obvious: "It will be very interesting to see how all of those bigs that went in the middle of the first round (Marresse Speights, Roy Hibbert, Hickson and McGee) turn out in four years."

By Ivan Carter |  July 18, 2008; 7:54 PM ET
Previous: Vegas baby, Vegas! | Next: Wiz win

Comments

w;dhjf;akdhjsf;aksldhjf;dhsf WIZ SITE SAYS: Game 3 Info: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards at Cox Pavilion
Date: Friday, July 18 Time: 8:00pm TV: NBATV

i see mystics on, is there anything worse than this

Posted by: david | July 18, 2008 8:15 PM

hey ivan whats going on with matt barnes are the wizards intersted in him

Posted by: brandon | July 18, 2008 8:23 PM

hearing you whine about women's basketball.. I'd put my money on anyone of the Mystics to shut you down... too bad they can't shut you up

Posted by: LK | July 18, 2008 8:33 PM

I am hoping they show the game after the Mystic. Dang women BB just ain't what it used to be. I won't be surprise If the WNBA close by 2010.

Posted by: DeMj | July 18, 2008 8:35 PM

Maybe they can go back to playing half court when they weren't allowed to dribble... then they can go home and cook their man a good meal like they should

Posted by: LK | July 18, 2008 8:53 PM

Ivan, why bother asking Unseld anything?

"...turnovers b/c guys haven't played together.."

Uh, other teams are doing well and they haven't played together.

Opech, can we chalk him up as a bust now? Same injury last year....didn't play much during the season, and same injury this year....dare we say Groundhog Day, once again?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 10:25 PM

Hey Ivan, how bout that support from our fellow fans behind the Wizards bench today? That was awesome. I noticed the team got a kick out of it too.

Glad to see them get a win, even though it shouldn't have been in doubt against a weak Cleveland squad. Still, good moments from Blatche, McGuire, Brown & especially McGee.

Posted by: Dat2U | July 18, 2008 10:31 PM

Yeah, we all want to see if Pech can produce. If he can get health, he has the tools, no doubt. Blatche is immensely talented, and McGuire is brilliant in spurts. Nick Young could do a lot more. But, clearly, Young Wes isn't up to coaching a team. No one's playing together.

Posted by: zinger1 | July 18, 2008 10:45 PM

"Yeah, we all want to see if Pech can produce. If he can get health, he has the tools, no doubt.

Posted by: zinger1 | July 18, 2008 10:45 PM "

Huh?

What tools?

What has OPech shown anybody that lends them to believe that OPech can do anything besides stay outside and jack up J's?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 10:52 PM

don't forget about the buckets he get, son. Maybe V2 can switch jerseys with him and when training camp ends, V2 stays and OPech returns to the mother land.

Posted by: oddjob | July 18, 2008 10:57 PM

Posted by: LK | July 18, 2008 8:33 PM

you know what, i never said that the woman are not good, and that I was interested in playing any of them, you need to watch yourself, i have attended Mystics games in the past, actually over 5 (not sure of an exact number), but its incredibly disappointing when I turn my TV on expecting to see the Wiz play and the Mystics are on instead

Posted by: David | July 19, 2008 12:56 AM

Pecherov is a bust always hurt tippy toe jumper, can't rebound, no D, goofy looking pack his azz up and send him back overseas with a no return stamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | July 19, 2008 6:45 AM

What if anything are the Wizards going to do now to improve the team? I generally read all of these absurd comments by the community basketball experts and being constantly disappointed that there is no substantive info about what EG is doing to improve the quality of the roster. All of the serious contenders for championships are always looking to improve and making moves. The Wizards seem to be stuck in the mud and content to be mediocre. We have some good players but I don't see anything designed to take us to the next level except to stick with the same crew, and let them mature. I don't have answers but our current strategy seems rather dull. And if we keep doing the same thing, we'll get the same results--stuck in getting kicked out in the first round of the playoffs, and ending up with a 18-47 pick in the draft. That being said, I believe EG picked well in choosing J. McGee. I think we need more help in the middle. Someone who can mix it up down low and provide a presence. I vote for trading or somehow obtaining Chris Wilcox if he's still available. We've got plenty of players willing to jack up shots from the outside, but not enough inside firepower (points, defense and rebounding). We need at least one additional player who can be significant!

Posted by: znonymous | July 19, 2008 7:57 AM

It's not the Wiz... it's summer league, ok
and this is WNBA season. Good for you for supporting the Mystics... as far as your
"you better watch yourself" what the hell??

Posted by: LK | July 19, 2008 8:26 AM

"its incredibly disappointing when I turn my TV on expecting to see the Wiz play and the Mystics are on instead

It's not the Wiz... it's summer league, ok
"you better watch yourself" what the hell??

Posted by: LK | July 19, 2008 8:26 AM "

Can someone cancel the WNBA already?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 8:43 AM

maybe someone will cancel your sorry ass, and we'll all be a lot happier, DC (Man)???

Posted by: LK | July 19, 2008 11:57 AM

NBATV not Comcast. If you don't have NBA TV too bad.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 19, 2008 3:01 PM