Wiz win

Before we get to the Wizards, Golden State rookie Anthony Randolph just threw down a sick one-handed tip jam right in front of me. See it.

As for the Wizards, they won 72-69 over Cleveland tonight to improve to 1-2 in summer league play. It wasn't pretty and several players had rough games including second-year guard Nick Young (five points on 1-of-9 shooting) but Andray Blatche played his best game of the week and the Wiz pulled it out in the end.

-One key tonight was the Wiz taking better care of the basketball. They turned it over 43 times in the first two losses but only 10 tonight.

-The bad news is that they continue to get killed on the boards and the one flaw in Andray's game tonight was that a few boards got away from him as well. Tonight the gap favored Cleveland 43-32. Rookie JaVale McGee (11 points on five-of-12 shooting with four rebounds and two blocks) has the length and athleticism to be a rebounder but that wasn't a huge part of his game in college and it hasn't been a natural part of his game yet this week either. He's raw but talented no question.

Blatche, who was solid in losses to Portland and Philly, was the most active player on the floor and finished with 22 points, nine rebounds and two blocks. He made 8 of 17 shots and generally looked like the best player on the court, which of course, he should be given that he's going into his fourth season and has an edge in experience if not age on most of the guys out here.

Andray, who asked to come to summer league and earns extra special credit from me for wearing a Twins cap after the game tonight: "That's what I came out here for, to get some wins and to work on my game and my conditioning while playing a lot of basketball. Cleveland, they got us again in the playoffs last season, so tonight, it was important for us to come out, play hard and win this game."

-More Andray, who played a team high 28 minutes and worked hard doing it: "The main thing is conditioning. My conditioning has been my biggest default. So, I felt that if I came out here and worked real hard, it would help me get ready and more prepared for the season."

-Young has not been able to get into a flow offensively all week and that's a problem given that right now, he's a one-dimensional guy. He's a scorer. His passing, defense, rebounding and everything else needs a lot of work.

-Folks keep asking about free agency and particularly want to know about SF Matt Barnes, who has been with Golden State the last two seasons. Barnes is still out there but the word is that teams are going to wait him out and get him at a good price. The Wizards, who have only around $1.5 million left under the luxury tax threshold, are interested but the guy is obviously is not going to be thrilled about taking a lot less than what he made last season (he had a $3 million base salary and also may have hit some bonuses). Again, he could be a guy that is out there for awhile and eventually picks the best fit and the best deal he can land.

-Oh to be a Maloof brother. The Kings' owners pulled up courtside with a pair of lovely ladies rigth as the Wiz and Cavs got going. And they own a casino. Not bad huh?

-Patrick Ewing Jr. is playing right now for the Kings. Patrick Ewing Sr. is sitting about 15 feet from me watching his son play. Pretty cool.

-The Wiz had a nice group of fans sitting behind their bench tonight. It was a noisy crew and challenged the Warriors for the best support of the day.

By Ivan Carter |  July 18, 2008; 10:48 PM ET
Previous: Wiz and Cavs, Game 3 of SL | Next: Wiz and Rockets, Game 4

Comments

Nice update...wasn't able to watch the game.

How was Nick Young's body language?.....he always seems to be down on himself, even when he's hitting shots.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | July 18, 2008 11:32 PM

how did Hickson vs McGee play?

how did DBrown play?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 11:37 PM

Does it matter how well AB plays? He ain't gonna get off the bench for critical minutes with AJ averaging 40+ min/game, DSong behind him, and BTH/Etan/McGee manning the 5.

AB is a baller that needs the ball in his hands in order to thrive, to make something happen with a pass or a dribble/dish. He's not good if he's not part of the offensive flow.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 11:59 PM

hey ivan thanks for the update on matt barnes thank you very much

Posted by: brandon | July 19, 2008 12:09 AM

hey ivan thanks for the update on matt barnes thank you very much

Posted by: brandon | July 19, 2008 12:09 AM

Beating Cleveland is always satisfying, I don't care if its preseason or summer league.
Blatche took the team on his shoulders and would not let them lose (ok, Hickson missing 2 free throws near the end helped too.)
The great thing about this game is the Wiz dramatically cut down on turning the ball over.

Posted by: Jeremy Bauserman | July 19, 2008 12:44 AM

I agree and disagree with U DCMan. It don't matter what Blatche does, Eddie not going to play him. And the best thing I saw from Blatche tonight was his assertiveness. He knew he was the best man on the floor and he played that way. He also seemed to be stronger than he was this past season. Hickson's a big boy and AB was moving him around like it was nothing. PLAY HIM EDDIE!!!

Also like what Dmac was doing. If he can hit that lil 10ft with consistency, the wiz can save that 1.5 mil they got dangling out there for a free agent(Matt Barnes).

Nick was struggling but I did like that he didn't force things like scorers usually do. He let his teammates take over instead throwing up bricks. Signs of maturity.

Like what I saw from Mcgee. He seemed more under control coming off the bench than when he started. That kid is long and I do see alot of Tyson Chandler in him.

Posted by: C.Bell | July 19, 2008 1:06 AM

Andray Blatche has been the same story every game. His overall stats were nice but he was shut down in the second half and pretty much sucked. Can he please play an entire game like a beast and not just the first half!?

And McGee... guy is super athletic but still kind of soft! Does not like low post moves. And I think he is also a main reason for our rebonding problems. He does not box out and does not move tpwards the ball. He is also too impatient on offense.

Dmac has looked good though. He is hitting impressive shots that Young is not, he is agressive to the basket, and he is playing good defense and passing well.

People keep carping about our depth at SF yet if this VSL is any indication, a greater concern should be at SG.

Posted by: arenasmvp4ever | July 19, 2008 2:35 AM

sounds like fun out there, thanks for putting in some extra work and blogging for us man props.

Posted by: Johansen | July 19, 2008 2:49 AM

I must say that DMac is ballin out there. Straight hustling. To be honest he's the best rebounder we have out there. And he's been hitting jumpers consistently all 3 summer league games. I really don't care about getting another 3. I just want DMac to get more minutes.

Blatche was definitely the best guy on the floor tonight. He was good inside and out.

And McGee has impressed me. When he takes his time to set up his man he is very effective offensively. He definitely has more tools offensively than Etan or Brendan. However, I feel that he should improve his rebounding (especially boxing out), and when he gets the rock close to the basket, he actually needs to act like Brendan did this past season and just go up with two hands and throw it down. He did that on one play tonight and I was quite pleased.

I think Hickson definitely has game, but Blatche got the better of him tonight. I'm glad we picked McGee over him.

Posted by: KJD | July 19, 2008 3:23 AM

I am nearly compelled by DC man but not quite. To say what Jordan will do on past experience bodes well for Blatche. He plays his veterans and this is what Blatche is becoming, but the Wizards have won games when they get into a consistent flow. Heavy B needs touches and when he gets them he needs to show maturity and consistency. None of our young guns seem to have that yet. It is not a part of our culture even though Jamison and Butler seem to be consummate in this area.

I love Gilbert's game but I fear what the world adores, a childlike competitive spirit, does not teach our younger players the key to success. They see success as pouring from the fun4all attitude Gilbert brings as an intangible to the city. They do not think of the work he has put in to get to where he is. He defers the work ethic to a fun public image. The person Blatche, DMac and Young need is an ethicist they can believe in that instills the winning attitude all of our Big Three have but only two show. They will get the touches when the coach believes in their ethic. I think this is what Haywood found last year, not the time on the court to produce. The ethic will create the opportunity as it did for Brendan.

Posted by: yankeevicar | July 19, 2008 6:25 AM

AB can get more minutes if he shows (finally) that he is committed to playing in the NBA improving his conditioning and working hard. It has not been just because EJ likes to play vets as some on this board suggest that AB has not always gotten a lot of minutes.

I'd agree with a poster above that backup SG (NY) seems more a concern right now that backup SF (DM).

Posted by: Tim | July 19, 2008 6:54 AM

Don't blame EJ for not giving AB minutes during the season he wants to see some consistency out of Andray, everyone knows the drill "you have to earn it" like most bullett fans i want to see AJ's playing time reduced so he can stay fresh but Blatche needs to stay consistent game in game out, even in summer league they get out rebounded!! need to find us a rebounder EG!!!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | July 19, 2008 6:58 AM

Thnaks for the update IC!!

I was interested in what you thought about the point play of Dee Brown and Jonathan Wallace? Also what is your impression of Veremeenko? Will he be available to participate in our training camp?

I'd like to get Matt Barnes, and he can play sf and/or sg. Definately like the way DMac is playing though!

Posted by: Darnell | July 19, 2008 8:00 AM

It's so bizarre that people thank IC. Like he needs your encouragement. Maybe if you encourage him some more, he'll post ten times a day.

Posted by: billyjoe | July 19, 2008 8:18 AM

What is the deal with Pecherov and his ankle??!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 19, 2008 8:30 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 11:59 PM

It does matter. If Blatche shows maturity in his work habits and game, he will gain more trust from EJordan. He will get minutes at center and also help to reduce Jamison's minutes, concerving him a lil.

Posted by: G-Man | July 19, 2008 8:45 AM

If Blatche keeps his head in the game, he will get his minutes and then some. Last night showed again that he has the tools and seems to be acquiring the attitude as well.

Nick Young is the one that worries me. Clearly he can score (as he showed when he went off against the Lakers) but he seems to be a bit of sulker and whiner when things are not going his way...

Posted by: khrabb | July 19, 2008 9:10 AM

Sometime I do question EJ rotation logic. I recall a situation when Jarvis Hayes was on the team and he was clearly gettng more time then Roger Mason and it was clear that Roger out played Hayes, but Hayes was the first player off the bench before Roger, and some games Roger wouldn't even get in the game. Lets compare Jeffries vs Blacthe who the better play. When Blacthe started he avg 11 ppg Jeffries was a 2 year started and he never avg double figures for a season. There is some truth on how EJ gives out playing time. He doesnt always give it to his best players.

Posted by: Rock Star | July 19, 2008 9:27 AM

Are you kidding me? You calling Eddie Jordan an ethicist?! He cant even be honest with himself, much less the players on his team. Sure BH got more minutes last year, but only because there was no one else. There were many times BH should have been on the floor last year, but EJ kept him on the bench...just so BH wouldnt forget he could. EJ is far from being able to display fair ethical treatment to his players. This is one of the main reasons they dont respect him.

Did you hear the radio interview Roger Mason did on Thurs or Fri last week? When he spoke about his new team the SA Spurs, he went on and on about how the Coach treats each and every player the same and they all respect him for that and that was one of the main reasons he went to SA. You dont have to read between the lines much, to hear RM implying EJ is not that type of coach. EJ's special treatment of GA is pathetic as it only encourages GA's immature behavior and it erodes his relationship as a coach with every other one of the the players on the Wiz team. Combine this with EJ's passive agressive mistreatment of BH...and looming similar mistreatment of AB and you've got a self-inflicted mess. I wont even go into EJ's lack of competence with in-game coaching, match-ups, defense, etc. When the Wiz are winning it is inspite of their coach. I've said it before and will say it again, the biggest difference maker for the Wiz Ernie could and hopefully will do (unfortunately not until 2009) will be to dump EJ and get a real champion caliber NBA coach for the Wiz. GA is never going to grow up with EJ at the helm. The big 3 deserve better, we as fans desrve better.

Posted by: oddjob | July 19, 2008 9:34 AM

I think Nick Young will be all right, but his game has got to show up during the exhibition season, I actually thought he and D MAC could have helped during the playoffs against the Lebron's but EJ thought otherwise. Andray is on a mission or so he says only time will tell, he has the talent no doubt. Nick's confidence factor will play a vital role in his maturation process the bullets will need him now that Roger Mason is gone.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 19, 2008 9:35 AM

Stick-man McGee looks like he just started playing basketball just a few years ago. He's totally soft,and afraid to mixing it up down-low. I can totally see why some pegged him with a high bust potential.

Posted by: Charlie | July 19, 2008 9:37 AM

Until then let's hope Deshawn stays his healthy self this year. Pretty bare cupboard there at the 2 (and the 3).

Posted by: Prazak | July 19, 2008 9:37 AM

Ivan, when you see a Maloof tell them how awesome NY and Songalia are. Tell him every wiz fan will stay at the RIO is somehow the Wiz got Artest for our poo poo platter.

Posted by: Cballer | July 19, 2008 9:39 AM

Ivan, I see you called Blatche a "wild card" in your article, which is the term I've been using when referring to him. I need some compensation for copyright infringement! lol

Oddjob, great post on EJ. I couldn't agree more. Interesting tidbit about the Mason interview. Just makes me think the coaching situation is worse than I already think it is.

I love it when people keep asking: "what is the deal with Pecherov's sprained ankle?" Ummm, it's sprained! That's the deal. He's not making or breaking this season or this team so why does it matter all that much?

Posted by: Rob P | July 19, 2008 9:45 AM

AB should go get some of this:

"Shawn Springs...came back to the Washington area and began working again with personal trainer Mark Craig -- a former pro boxer and Buster Douglas's old sparring partner -- five days a week. They do extensive track work -- focusing on burst and explosion -- and then head to Planet Fitness in Potomac to spar.

Craig, who trains many Redskins at the team's facility on Fridays during the season, works closely with team trainers Harrison Bernstein and John Hastings to ensure the club approves Springs's workouts, with ample recovery time built in. "This is a lot harder than training camp," Springs said during a brief water break between sessions last week. "It's not even close."

Springs began taking up boxing after the 2006 season, crediting it for helping him overcome a sports hernia to play all 16 games in 2007. On what is considered a "light" day, Springs and former Redskins wide receiver Mike Espy do a series of sprints and track work for nearly an hour, then Springs dons boxing gloves and endures 20 minutes of high-intensity rounds with Craig. Craig barks out a litany of commands ("One-two with the left, one-two roll up and under, right left right, right to the body, double jab") and Springs pushes himself to the limit, with his shoulders and upper body hardened and chiseled from the grueling work.

"He's come a long way," Craig said. "I've got to watch out now, because if I'm not paying attention he can get me now. Knowing you can do something like this, it makes football look easy. He's ready for camp."

Espy said: "The boy is fast, faster than I thought. He's in the best shape I've ever seen him in. He's a bad man right now."

The Wiz need AB to a bad man next season...if so, we could be seeing the Wiz in the final "chip" round.

Posted by: oddjob | July 19, 2008 9:47 AM

Posted by: Prazak | July 19, 2008 9:37 AM

It will be interesting to see if the Wiz do send McGee to the D League. The Wiz's basic M.O. has been not to use it.

The only example of the Wiz really using the D league is with John Peter Ramos, a real project without much athleticism.

It is true that AB was sent down to the D League for a little while his first year. But then he had missed a lot of early work while he was recovering from a gunshot wound.

My guess is McGee will stay with the Wiz throughout the year, getting some minutes here and there, but practicing with the team.

Posted by: Tim | July 19, 2008 10:18 AM

Unless songaila is traded which i doubt, AB is not gonna play. The only reason he played so much last year was because of injuries and had to be the backup center. Now he is third at both positions (PF and C). I want to see him get minutes but it is unrealistic with eddie. The thing that concerns me is the SG position. Nick Young is gonna have to play better during the season.
I say package songaila and our 09 1st for Martell Webster if portland would do it. He could be the backup to butler. Thats just an idea. Somehow get rid of songaila and to PLAY BLATCHE.

Posted by: Mikey | July 19, 2008 11:33 AM

"I dunno, DCMan. I'm guessing McGee will be playing in D League, not manning the 5 behind Brendan and Etan. I'm hoping Eddie will give Blatche a lot more time at the 4, where he belongs, and that Darius becomes trade bait for a swingman.

Posted by: Prazak | July 19, 2008 9:37 AM "

As next season progresses, EJ needs to get some b@lls and start phasing AJ to the bench. AB needs to start, but the problem with AB starting is that he needs a PG who will get him the ball.

AB is worthless if he's not getting touches to either score, or to make something happen. He'll just stand there.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 11:41 AM

"EJ's special treatment of GA is pathetic as it only encourages GA's immature behavior and it erodes his relationship as a coach with every other one of the the players on the Wiz team. Combine this with EJ's passive agressive mistreatment of BH...and looming similar mistreatment of AB and you've got a self-inflicted mess. I wont even go into EJ's lack of competence with in-game coaching, match-ups, defense, etc. When the Wiz are winning it is inspite of their coach. I've said it before and will say it again, the biggest difference maker for the Wiz Ernie could and hopefully will do (unfortunately not until 2009) will be to dump EJ and get a real champion caliber NBA coach for the Wiz. GA is never going to grow up with EJ at the helm. The big 3 deserve better, we as fans desrve better.

Posted by: oddjob | July 19, 2008 9:34 AM "

The problem with EJ is that he doesn't have the b@lls to stand up to the franchise player. He knows who's going to punch his meal ticket, or cancel it.

It's up to EG to step up and put the kibosh on this f'n nonsense. No more "Gilbertology," which means no more hissy fits, no more grand entrances, no more "gimme the damn ball but don't call me a ballhog," etc.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 11:44 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 11:48 AM

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 19, 2008 12:55 PM

"Here we go again I just f##%in love it slammin EJ even before the season starts raggin on Gilbert ODDJOB/ROBP/DC MAN88 read the NY times article about Gil on tour for Adidas how he is so different than other nba superstars quote "Mr Congeniallity" not demanding like other nba players the people in the Phillipines loved him. As far as Mason goes what did you expect him to say probably kicking himself for not going a year earlier.Please don't bring up Brendan he been underachieving since he's been in the league. When you and some of your henchmen are finally succesfull in running EJ out of town then and only then will you be happy, but that's when mediocrity will set in and one last thing give me a short list to replace EJ( can't wait for this)!!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 19, 2008 12:55 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 1:29 PM

Why is Blatche and Young even playing in summer league anyway? It's not like they are fighting for a spot on the roster.

"EJ's special treatment of GA is pathetic as it only encourages GA's immature behavior and it erodes his relationship as a coach with every other one of the players on the Wiz team."

Tell us how you really feel. :)

I think a lot of us feel that way oddjob, and I really think this is EJ's last year in DC.

I've always been a fan of Gil, but last year during the playoffs showed me how immature Gil really is and how he can do whatever he wants in a Wiz uniform, whenever he wants to do it even at the cost of losing. He is not a team player and he really hurt the team doing what he did.

I sure hope this changes, but I don't think it will which is also why I was hoping they would reconsider signing him to the contract they did.

EJ has always had faults with subs and is always outcoached, I've rippied him in the past for it. You go small at the end of the game, so will EJ. It's his "signature" so to speak. I thought he did a better job last year until the playoffs, but once again he tried to think too much and outcoached himself. He went away from what got him to the playoffs in the first place. EJ has never had the courage to stand up to his players, he rely's on the vets to speak up. Now both Gil and EJ's path are crossed.

Question for everyone to ponder: what do you think would happen if Larry Brown was hired as the Wizards coach?

It's not going to happen, but Larry Brown is a hard nosed coach who expects to win. How do you think Gil would respond?

I don't know what is going to happen next year, but I have a feeling in my gut it's not going to be a good year around here.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

"The Wizards, who have only around $1.5 million left under the luxury tax threshold..."

Thanks for signing for "significantly" less Gil so the Wiz could sign players like Dee "I suck and I'm going back overseas" Brown. You're such a great guy.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 19, 2008 1:37 PM

"Who gives a crap what Gilby does overseas? If it doesn't translate to wins on the board, it's meaningless.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 1:29 PM"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 19, 2008 1:38 PM

EJ's worst problem is that he's constantly trying to save his job by ending the season at .500. This means playing his 'big three' over 40 minutes a game, guaranteeing injuries and stifling the development of younger players. It also means coddling immature ball-hogs like Arenas, though that didn't matter last season. In other words, there just isn't much opportunity for him to, you know, actually coach. Plus he is the worst game-coach I've ever seen--his substitution patterns are never consistent and rarely make sense, he often calls time-outs at the wrong times or not at all, and he never stands up to the refs or to other coaches. None of that would matter if he had a clue how to win in the playoffs--but he doesn't. Any player can be stopped if you throw the right of defenses at him, but EJ has never even figured out how to make the rest of the Cleveland team beat his, as Thibodeaux did. Worse yet, his lack of confidence and development of his younger players always comes home to roost in that first round; DMac isn't a secret weapon against James and Blatche isn't there to break down Mike Brown's game plan. There are absolutely no surprises for Wiz opponents--ever.

When they finally get rid of EJ the last thing they need is some divisive prima donna with lots of baggage like Larry Brown running the team. Or some longtime hack who's made the rounds of the coaching circuit like Van Gundy. They need to hire Thibodeaux or better yet, Darrell Walker, Byron Scott's workhorse assistant at NO, and a guy who specializes both in defense and developing point guards. This time, hire the right assistant!

Posted by: KTV | July 19, 2008 2:56 PM

Well-said KTV, I agree %100.

Posted by: Wizzy | July 19, 2008 3:10 PM

Now that I'm back, it's time to ship DC man88 off to Asia. We'll see how much they love HIM over there.

Posted by: Gilby | July 19, 2008 3:33 PM

Some more background on the coaching situation:

1) young players with potential should earn minutes by playing hard and doing what the coach says (even if they don't play that well);
2) young players with potential should get less minutes when they slack off or do their own thing on the court (even if they play well).
3) For those you haven't played competitively (like the blogger who lives in NW DC), there is a huge difference between shooting around in practice, a pick-up game and an officiated game before a crowd of people.
4)Most NBA players have the basic court skills to be very good. It takes consistent performance in officiated games to develop the confidence to become great.

Under EJ, the Wiz are stuck in a Star Trek-like loop when they go one and out in the playoffs, get a low-level (16th-18th) draft pick, and fail to put the time and effort into developing that draft pick.

Other than hoping for no injuries - which almost never happens in the NBA (particularly when the competitive players get 40+ minutes a game) - what's EG's and EJ's plan to break out of this endless loop? Have they thought about bringing on Spock as an assistant coach?

Posted by: Izman | July 19, 2008 4:35 PM

I disagree a bit about EJ treating GA in a special manner. He would like to treat him like everyone else, however he does not exactly get support from EG or Abe. Please recall when he called him out for a lack of defense..what did Ernie do? Note that sat AJ and there was no acrimony.

Posted by: Skeef | July 19, 2008 5:18 PM

WE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT BONZI WELLS

Posted by: RUN DMC | July 19, 2008 5:42 PM

"Who cares? Well YOU DO! I GUARANTEE if Gil did or said something racy or bad while he was overseas, YOU would comment on it incessantly and cut and paste it AD NAUSEUM.!!!!

Posted by: | July 19, 2008 1:38 PM "

FU(K YOU!

Gilby behaved like a good little boy over there, so your hypothesis is OBE.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 19, 2008 5:46 PM

Ivan,

Can you address the rotation scenarios with Thomas, Blatche, McGee, Songalia and Pecherov? I'm assuming Pecherov isn't going to play much again. How much is Blatche going to play and where will he play? Center? Small forward?

Posted by: ksm | July 19, 2008 6:19 PM

nick youmg will never be anything in this league. he doesn't have the toughness or discipline to make it. I am getting very worried about ernie drafting these one dimensional soft players every year. this team need toughness. trying to package guys like young, blatche, pech, etc for someone would do this team a lot of good.

Posted by: roman | July 19, 2008 7:01 PM

Ranking NBA Coaches. Here is a very recent list created by Matt Steinmetz. He is the Comcast sideline reporter and insider/analyst on Golden State Warriors telecasts. Previously, he covered Golden State for nine seasons as a traveling beat writer for the Contra Costa Times. He went to the University of Delaware, a fighting blue hen (which probably makes him a closet Wiz fan). I know, who the hell is Steinmetz to rank the coaches...but what the heck its a slow summer for sports.

Ranking the NBA coaches: Phil Jackson at top, Randy Wittman at bottom
POSTED July 18, 10:46 AM

Don Nelson; We'll put him No. 4 It never ceases to amaze me, the opinions about Don Nelson. Not only are there tons of opinions they tend to the extreme: Genius, snake oil salesman. I tilt significantly toward genius, if for no other reason than he was the guy who finally got the Warriors back into the playoffs.

It got me to thinking, so what better time than now to rate the NBA coaches. As you would figure, first-year coaches all rank near bottom because who knows?

1. Phil Jackson: Nine titles is it? The problem with not putting Jackson first is you can't win an argument if you don't.

2. Larry Brown: A significantly better tactician and strategist than Jackson. But Jackson gets the player-relating edge and title advantage.

3. Gregg Popovich: Considered putting him above Brown, and you could make the case he belongs there, but Tim Duncan and David Robinson deserve a lot of credit. Even Popovich might agree, but in any case No. 3 is pretty good.

4. Don Nelson: He's obviously a great offensive coach, but also upper echelon when it comes to getting stars to play at their best. Clearly one of the game's forward-thinkers.

5. Rick Adelman: I respect Adelman because he handled two brutal years in the Bay Area (home games in San Jose; practice at St. Mary's auxiliary gym) like a grown-up. He's had good talent, but he's also let them play.

6. Jerry Sloan: For sheer longevity, Sloan has got to be near the top.

7. Eddie Jordan: One of the most underrated coaches in the league, Jordan has found a way to keep Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler on the same page. He should have never been fired in Sacramento.

8. Mike D'Antoni: After one year with the Knicks, he might be lower on the list, but until he becomes a worse coach by having to deal with Eddy Curry, Jamal Crawford and whoever else is on New York's roster, we'll give him props for being one of the best offensive minds in the NBA.

9. Byron Scott: He is proof that you've got to stay open-minded about coaches. His reputation was shot after Jason Kidd and Baron Davis did their things. But one Chris Paul can make up for both. Maybe Scott knew Paul was the one _ not Kidd or Davis _ to hitch his wagon to.

10. Doc Rivers: He probably moved up six to eight spots at least because of Boston's title. But the reason I won't put him any higher is because I believe all the coaches above him would have won with the Celtics this year. The ones below ... I'm not so sure.

11.Mike Dunleavy: Another underrated coach with an understanding of the pro game, a feel for how to deal with its star players and, perhaps more important in this business, staying power.

12. Scott Skiles: He's prepared, disciplined and tough-minded, and when he gets a chance to set up shop, Skiles is a damn good coach.

13. George Karl: He seems to have lost a little bit off his fastball lately but that might simply be the result of having to coach players such as Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith and Allen Iverson.

14. Rick Carlisle: One of Carlisle's strengths is an ability to discard any kind of outside distractions. It's a good kind of tunnel vision and focus, but his impersonal style wears out in about three years.

15. Nate McMillan: He did a great job with Portland in 2007-08. By the end of 2008-09 he'll either be much higher or much lower on this list ... depending.

16. Mike Brown: He's got a reputation for being a basketball mind, and he deserves credit for getting Cleveland to the Finals a year ago. But there's not enough there.

17. Lawrence Frank: Give the kid credit. He's been the coach since 2003, knows his X's and O's and is as competent as most on the sidelines.

18. Sam Mitchell: He's learned to function on the hotseat.

19. Stan Van Gundy: He's not bad, but he's no Jeff.

20. Terry Porter: He didn't make much of a mark in Milwaukee; he'll get a chance with much more talent in Phoenix.

21. Maurice Cheeks: With the exception of last year's second-half run by the 76ers, Cheeks hasn't done much in his coaching career. Expectations are higher in Philly so Cheeks will get a more critical look.

22. Mike Woodson: Getting Atlanta into the playoffs in 2007-08 kept Woodson out of the bottom five.

23. Reggie Theus: Most are calling Theus' first year in Sacramento a success. That is way premature.

24. P.J. Carlesimo: He's gotten better when it comes to relating with players, but his offensive and defensive schemes are among the least creative in the league.

25. Marc Iavaroni: I have a soft spot for Iavaroni because I used to play pick-up basketball with him back in the day on the Jersey Shore. Weak, I know.

26. Michael Curry: Considering he was the NBA union rep, is it logical to surmise he'll be a players' coach?

27. Erik Spoelstra: By all indications he has Pat Riley's work ethic. Good start.

28. Vinny Del Negro: He could be a little aloof and sure of himself as a player. If he's that way as a coach, he's going to struggle.

29. Jim O'Brien: Plain, inflexible and aloof is no way to go through an NBA coaching career.

30. Randy Wittman: There is nothing noteworthy on Wittman's resume except perhaps that he has Kevin McHale listed among his references.

Posted by: bravo zulu | July 19, 2008 8:41 PM

No offense, but that coaching list is a joke, right? I mean Jackson and Popp are easy calls, but some of the others are just plain funny. Avery Johnson took the Mavs deeper into the playoffs than Nellie ever did. Skiles and EJ have never climbed out of the playoffs cellar--both are famous for burning their teams out in the first half of the season. Doc Rivers and Byron Scott are both very limited--but have a genius for hiring hardworking assistants. Also this list doesn;t include any of last year's fired coaches like Flip Saunders, but instead ranks a lot of untried rookies.

And remind me again: which of them have actually won any titles?

Posted by: KTV | July 20, 2008 10:54 AM